Windows 10 Mobile are an embarrassment

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile share quite a bit in their coding and DNA. This allows for things like continuum, universal apps, and general congruence between the two OS's.

But it also gimps the operating system on lower spec'd hardware. No doubt that WP 8.1 ran better on lower spec'd devices. There's a reason that Microsoft boosted the minimum specs for running Windows 10. So obviously Windows 10 Mobile isn't going to run as smoothly on a Lumia 640. On a Lumia 950, 950xl, Elite x3, etc... Windows 10 Mobile runs like a dream.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile share quite a bit in their coding and DNA. This allows for things like continuum, universal apps, and general congruence between the two OS's.

But it also gimps the operating system on lower spec'd hardware. No doubt that WP 8.1 ran better on lower spec'd devices. There's a reason that Microsoft boosted the minimum specs for running Windows 10. So obviously Windows 10 Mobile isn't going to run as smoothly on a Lumia 640. On a Lumia 950, 950xl, Elite x3, etc... Windows 10 Mobile runs like a dream.

it would be twice the dream if they ran 8.1, I mean, we even had 5.1 recording

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
This is not quite true, I've watched comparison of Lumia 950, Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPhone (don't know if it was 6 or 6s) and frankly, Lumia was not last all the time. Also you have to take in mind that the videos that were made in December 2015 are not really relevant anymore because OS has improved as it was still in beta back then (even though I've seen videos from that time where Lumia was not always the last).

You can hardly compare two apps on two different platforms as the code is not identical and animations are different on different platforms.

You make valid points. Indeed, most of the videos I've seen are from last year. Additionally, I've probably only watched six or eight of them, hardly enough to make a blanket statement about overall performance.

As for comparing apps, I disagree with you here. Of course the different platforms run different code, but they're all designed to do the same thing; for the end user, all that matters is reliability and performance, not how you get there. If one Facebook app opens faster and crashes less than one found in a competing ecosystem then I'd argue it's the superior option. :)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Agreed but before the minimum specs were "official" that did not appear to be the perception given by MS nor many WP enthusiasts, then we get 2/3 or more into the game and "oh gosh, no can do for the elderly". Right from the get-go something to me seemed amiss yet it was reiterated many times over that the OS "didn't" need the specs compared to the other platforms to run well, so much for that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So obviously Windows 10 Mobile isn't going to run as smoothly on a Lumia 640. On a Lumia 950, 950xl, Elite x3, etc... Windows 10 Mobile runs like a dream.

I don't see it that way. Just throwing more powerful hardware at a performance problem is the easy and cheap way out, but it doesn't make the software any better. Even if the L950, Elite x3 and other powerful devices save users from having to "pay" a noticeable upfront performance penalty for W10M's efficiency issues, those users will still "pay" for them in terms of battery life. There is no way around it.

We can't install WP8.1 on the most recent devices to see how much better it would perform, so we can't know what we're missing (probably a good thing), but W10M does struggle in pretty much every metric I've seen when compared to competitor's devices.

Admittedly, if W10M does what you want and your happy with it, then none of this matters.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
You make valid points. Indeed, most of the videos I've seen are from last year. Additionally, I've probably only watched six or eight of them, hardly enough to make a blanket statement about overall performance.

As for comparing apps, I disagree with you here. Of course the different platforms run different code, but they're all designed to do the same thing; for the end user, all that matters is reliability and performance, not how you get there. If one Facebook app opens faster and crashes less than one found in a competing ecosystem then I'd argue it's the superior option. :)
Maybe they are, but I believe that the length of the animation on the app start is not the same on say, Windows 10 Mobile Facebook app and Android Facebook app. Sure, it could be that optimization is worse or that it simply takes more time to load up, but I think that the new Facebook and Messenger apps are quite functional (at least for me) and they're not taking a lot of time to launch at all. In fact, I have the old fb app on the 950 and the new app as well, and I just tested how long does each one of them take to launch and as far as I've seen the new FB app isn't slower.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they are, but I believe that the length of the animation on the app start is not the same on say, Windows 10 Mobile Facebook app and Android Facebook app. Sure, it could be that optimization is worse or that it simply takes more time to load up, but I think that the new Facebook and Messenger apps are quite functional (at least for me) and they're not taking a lot of time to launch at all. In fact, I have the old fb app on the 950 and the new app as well, and I just tested how long does each one of them take to launch and as far as I've seen the new FB app isn't slower.

The new Facebook app is massively slower than the old one on my L950, so much so that most of the time I give up and do something else. I haven't timed it, but I guess it's likely around the 10 second mark that I decide it's not worth the bother. The old app was pretty instant, maybe a second or two.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 was very polished and fast. It was also the third major update to Windows Phone (WP7 > WP7.5 > WP8.0), not counting the smaller updates released for WP8.0.

W10M is essentially a whole new product when compared to WP8.X. You can't just take a mobile OS from 2010-2012, and a complex desktop OS (originally made over a decade ago), combine them, and have an optimized product in two years. If they could do that, it'd be insanely impressive.

W10M has only gotten one major update since it officially launched a year ago. It took four years to get WP where it was, and that was with a relatively tiny number of devices to optimize for. It will take time to get to a point where it's as smooth as WP8.1.

Pedmar 007

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I saw this the other day, no idea what he's saying but it's not good for W10M. All of the smoothness, elegance and responsiveness of WP8.1 has been thrown in the trashcan, and for what? With W10M they can't even decide on how many dots to have in the circular loading animation; half the time it's got five, the other half six.

I've watched a variety of speed-test comparison videos on YouTube where the Lumia 950 and XL faceoff against other popular smartphones. Well, guess which handsets come in last place every single time? Yep, the Lumias! Without fail, they take longer to complete basic tasks than comparable Android or Apple products, and not just by a few seconds, oh no. In one instance, an iPhone 6S Plus did a series of tasks in about 48 seconds, the Lumia 950 XL required something like 1 minute 50 seconds to do the same thing. :cry:

Honestly, I wonder if Microsoft has, like, four guys in a basement working part time on W10M. They're certainly in no rush to fix longstanding issues or optimise the software for existing hardware.

What a buncha BS this is!!! Talking about comparisons with other similar devices running IOS/ANDROID, FYI since you choose not to know both IOS and ANDROID are running on 64bit OSes. So if MS's 32BIT OS comes in a few seconds behind and is an entire 1/2 the speed that both IOS and ANDROID are then buddy put ya damn hands up and rejoice!!! Now take that and ask how then would it be had MS flipped the switch a year ago and released W10M as a 64BIT OS!!! Wonder what your thoughts will be when RS2 is released in 64bit. To come anywhere close to a 64bit system and still running a 32bit OS that's bogging down a 64bit processor especially for those who own a L950/XL says a whole damn lot.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
What a buncha BS this is!!! Talking about comparisons with other similar devices running IOS/ANDROID, FYI since you choose not to know both IOS and ANDROID are running on 64bit OSes. So if MS's 32BIT OS comes in a few seconds behind and is an entire 1/2 the speed that both IOS and ANDROID are then buddy put ya damn hands up and rejoice!!! Now take that and ask how then would it be had MS flipped the switch a year ago and released W10M as a 64BIT OS!!! Wonder what your thoughts will be when RS2 is released in 64bit. To come anywhere close to a 64bit system and still running a 32bit OS that's bogging down a 64bit processor especially for those who own a L950/XL says a whole damn lot.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
WDRT isn't working ; Their should be a w8.1 revert back option in Mobile.. I'm unhappy with w10M AU performance not UI as compared to w8.1m.

MS should have to release w10m < stable > rom on WDRT before Nokia comes into market.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99