Windows 10 Mobile are an embarrassment

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed he has the old Facebook app, so this video is a while out-of-date.

While I don't think it'll beat 8.1, its improved since. It's the bugs that I worry about.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
claro quedo SMOKED by wp7

btw you can just keep your usable-faster 8.1 apps on w10m, I think they crash more and are a bit slower anyway-but compared to "new" apps like facebook's... well its not even a discussion

on the bright side, after a while on this track, of not caring about performance I mean, nadella will be forced to make a "project butter" of his own

Ntei

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if the video is outdated since I do not understand the language but the date isn't old. I too am not too much into performance but the difference is so vast that I cannot help it.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I saw this the other day, no idea what he's saying but it's not good for W10M. All of the smoothness, elegance and responsiveness of WP8.1 has been thrown in the trashcan, and for what? With W10M they can't even decide on how many dots to have in the circular loading animation; half the time it's got five, the other half six.

I've watched a variety of speed-test comparison videos on YouTube where the Lumia 950 and XL faceoff against other popular smartphones. Well, guess which handsets come in last place every single time? Yep, the Lumias! Without fail, they take longer to complete basic tasks than comparable Android or Apple products, and not just by a few seconds, oh no. In one instance, an iPhone 6S Plus did a series of tasks in about 48 seconds, the Lumia 950 XL required something like 1 minute 50 seconds to do the same thing. :cry:

Honestly, I wonder if Microsoft has, like, four guys in a basement working part time on W10M. They're certainly in no rush to fix longstanding issues or optimise the software for existing hardware.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How could you NOT have noticed the performance difference????? :wink:

Although never great, the time it took to launch an app on previous versions of the OS were tolerable. On W10M, with anything slower than a L950, launching an app now often takes just long enough to annoy me. An extra one or two seconds doesn't sound like much, but it's just enough to give me the feeling that I'm waiting... :cry:

The difference in the time it takes to launch Facebook is extreme. I don't use Facebook myself. While I have installed it, I'm not sure I've ever launched it since upgrading to W10M. However, I remember reading that the new Facebook app is developed using a new library (developed by Facebook) which makes porting apps between Android/iOS/WP much easier but (as is always the case with such libraries) also much less efficient. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell us if that's true. If it is, then the Facebook test tells us little about W10M and a lot about the library the new Facebook app is based on.

If you're interested, I touch on the causes of the OS related performance differences in this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ndows-10-mobile-not-smooth-fast-wp-8-1-a.html

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Both are L640s, the 8.1 is Denim Update 2 and the W10 phone is Anniversary Update so this video is not that old fellas. I'm Cuban, I know my Spanish.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Forget performance. The UI alone in W10M when compared directly to 8.1 is a sad joke. It's like MS threw out pretty much of everything they learned about a clean design language, user friendliness and presentation and decided to give us a cheap Android knockoff with tiles. I guess sloppy programming is the icing on the cake.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I agree with most of that, but the last part takes it a bit too far.

Desktop/server OSes are designed with no consideration for power and resource constrained devices. Porting something like that to a smartphone will always cause issues no matter how good the engineers are.

It took Google years to improve Android (which had the same problems), and they had the luxury of just being able to ignore Android's desktop/server origins. MS is now where Google was in 2009 and doesn't have the luxury of focusing only on mobile. They must keep the OS suited to a whole host of scenarios (server, desktop, IoT, holographic, xbox). It is just impossibly difficult to provide perfect performance, reliability, efficiency and flexibility in each of those scenarios. That's not the same as being sloppy.

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
rightly said, with older windows phone devices Microsoft had made sure that anytime the users wanna go back to 8.1 they can, using WDRT. Aside from shrinking of app store everything else is fairly good in 8.1 .

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
If you like WP8.1, stay on Wp8.1

No one is forcing you to use w10 mobile.

That's all fine and dandy but when app updates ALONG with the OS cease being updated then that becomes a problem. I've gotten much older Android/iOS devices running older OS versions yet still see frequent app updates, my 830 running WP8.1 has seen/sees pretty much nil running WP8.1 and that has been going on for nearly a year.

As the video depicts, WP10 is terrible in many respects and I have no qualms throwing W10 for PC in there too, seen enough inconsistencies and "child's play" in the two that you have to wonder "what were they thinking", both are very unpolished and amateurish feeling.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
In all seriousness, both Win8.1 and W10M have an interface that is head and shoulders above Android and IOS, I still can't see the attraction of dead icons from 30 years ago, but I guess I'm different to most people out there. In this respect either 8 or 10 is light years ahead for me.

I have a L950 and Win10M seems plenty fast enough, though I totally accept that the experience on lower models may well be vastly different. The new Facebook app is extremely slow to get going, even on the 950.

I use a L925 at work with 8.1 on it, it is quite refreshing how some things are 8.1, and it is totally smooth, but I think overall 10 is better, though a lot of that just may be down the higher res screen on the L950, though 10 also looks more modern in a lot of ways.

Win10 on the desktop is a joke though, don't like it at all. Might even go back to 7 at some point.

Last edited:

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
My 950 xl takes about 4 seconds to launch the first time, is almost instantaneous after that. Fwiw.

To launch Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
In all seriousness, both Win8.1 and W10M have an interface that is head and shoulders above Android and IOS, I still can't see the attraction of dead icons from 30 years ago, but I guess I'm different to most people out there. In this respect either 8 or 10 is light years ahead for me.

Totally agree that the tiles are refreshing to look at but after that it falls flat, real flat especially where WP10 is concerned. The icons/tiles are only a small portion of the equation and if the rest don't keep pace then it'll just slip through the cracks. Not finding my Androids that bad to look at since there is no end to the customization unlike some of the others ;), and would rather have the "whole" package that works efficiently than just a pretty face.

Started using my 830 today (running latest WP10 build) just to see how it plays out, it works for the most part but that is about it, very clunky feeling with some aspects not being very intuitive, hate Edge although in defense of MS they did sort page rendering issues seen in the past. The store, what can we say other than still a joke w/MS continuing to be undecided as to what direction they should go, slow to show updates, slow app updates period and very unorganized along with an unappealing look. One thing that is pretty prevalent is that WP10 doesn't do anything the same twice but suppose that is where those "inconsistencies" the OS is famous for comes into play. Still having issues running 10 on my 830 that have been lingering for quite some time yet still haven't been addressed, very annoying.

Last edited:

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Your post title is embarrassing. Haha

10 works fine for me. Comparing an old, basically beta version of 10 versus a stable complete version of 8.1 is hardly a comparison.

People have been dating this since WP7... 8.1 isn't as good/fast as 8, 8 isn't as fast as 7.5, 7.5 isn't as fast as 7...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the video, I wish the presenter, rather than scrolling to the apps, would tap an alphabet letter, tap the "F", and then tap Facebook. Too much scrolling, in my opinion.

Also, I think the video shows the worst of the 8.1 and 10 start menus design layout. The 8.1 is a basic grid with almost all medium tiles! Geez, show some imagination! Use large tiles for the live tiles with updating personal information! Medium tiles for less important live tiles and dead tiles could be small tiles. Feel free to be creative and leave some blank empty space. It creates design interest.

I'm not a fan of that empty dead W10 mobile start screen.

Best Wishes

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I saw this the other day, no idea what he's saying but it's not good for W10M. All of the smoothness, elegance and responsiveness of WP8.1 has been thrown in the trashcan, and for what? With W10M they can't even decide on how many dots to have in the circular loading animation; half the time it's got five, the other half six.

I've watched a variety of speed-test comparison videos on YouTube where the Lumia 950 and XL faceoff against other popular smartphones. Well, guess which handsets come in last place every single time? Yep, the Lumias! Without fail, they take longer to complete basic tasks than comparable Android or Apple products, and not just by a few seconds, oh no. In one instance, an iPhone 6S Plus did a series of tasks in about 48 seconds, the Lumia 950 XL required something like 1 minute 50 seconds to do the same thing. :cry:

Honestly, I wonder if Microsoft has, like, four guys in a basement working part time on W10M. They're certainly in no rush to fix longstanding issues or optimise the software for existing hardware.
This is not quite true, I've watched comparison of Lumia 950, Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPhone (don't know if it was 6 or 6s) and frankly, Lumia was not last all the time. Also you have to take in mind that the videos that were made in December 2015 are not really relevant anymore because OS has improved as it was still in beta back then (even though I've seen videos from that time where Lumia was not always the last).

You can hardly compare two apps on two different platforms as the code is not identical and animations are different on different platforms.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Your post title is embarrassing. Haha

10 works fine for me. Comparing an old, basically beta version of 10 versus a stable complete version of 8.1 is hardly a comparison.

People have been dating this since WP7... 8.1 isn't as good/fast as 8, 8 isn't as fast as 7.5, 7.5 isn't as fast as 7...

The store layout is clearly from the latest update, so while it performs like one its not considered a beta.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos