Will Microsoft launch new windows phones?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
MS doesn't launch hardware unless it can re-invent or create new categories. All Ms hardware has some level of innovation to help lead tech and windows software forward. A phone that looks good isn't going to do that. That's the equivalent of releasing a plain laptop that looks good.

they will have to, if no OEM makes a capable phone to keep developing on after the current ones get old like a 920 is today, what then? they will have to make something, even if just a 950 with an SD850 or whatever is available at said future

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Not phones anymore. They care about Surface and PC's, not phones.

When you said about Microsoft being out of the phone hardware business, that would be possible. But generally out of the phone business (both software and hardware)? Nope.I don't think this is going to happen.

Why? Because during the recent Microsoft event, there was a part where the lady showed 3D scanning capabilities on a Windows 10 Mobile device. Since this feature is not yet available to the public (both Non-/Insiders alike), I'm guessing that it is a feature that will be coming to W10M devices, and if it does, that means Microsoft is not giving up on W10M, not on the software side of it at least. They may give up on making their own mobile/smartphone devices though, but personally I think they won't. They'd have to set an example to other OEMs just as how they did with the Surface lineups, which brought forth the Tab Pro from Samsung.

But then again, this is me being an optimistic W10M fan.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft is out of the phone business as far as hardware how will this alleged "Surface Phone" materialize?

Well, they're not out of the phone hardware business. The hardware development cycle is very long. We probably won't see mobile hardware with a Microsoft logo on it until 2017. But Microsoft has stated multiple times that they are planning to release Microsoft mobile devices.

To continue to repeat "Microsoft is out of the phone hardware business" is just as much a practice in futility as to repeat "The Surface Phone is coming this year!"

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
But Microsoft has stated multiple times that they are planning to release Microsoft mobile devices.

Understood.
It may take time and a change at the helm for mobile to blossom slightly.

Here's a snippet from Seeking Alpha that's interesting:

Investor Takeaway
I don't think Microsoft is done with mobile. It's too important strategically. Having been burned by the Nokia purchase, Microsoft will avoid frontal assaults on the existing mobile empires of iOS and Android. I believe the company's mobile strategy can be summed up in three words: infiltrate, augment and convert.

Microsoft will infiltrate the existing mobile ecosystems through its cloud services and subscription software (already underway). It will augment existing mobile devices through HoloLens-like display devices as well as providing its own augmented reality vision in HoloLens. And finally, Microsoft will convert many current Windows users to tablets, convertibles and, yes, probably future Windows Phones.
I'm optimistic that Microsoft can make progress on all fronts in 2017 and rate it a Buy.

Microsoft: What's The Mobile Device Strategy? - Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) | Seeking Alpha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs