The elephant in the room.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
dude! do ya think maybe, JUST MAYBE, your device is defective? all that you've described is not typical normal behavior for a L950 and I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but my L950XL has none of those problems! my experience has been so pleasant (and some others) that I even got a L950 phone for my GF because her Samsung phone is giving her problems... again your experience is NOT a typical one! and then we have you and madcabbie (and some others) ranting that all windows phones are problematic when in reality you guys are the minority or people having trouble like you're describing... you guys just b!tch and moan about it more because your obviously upset and not having a good typical experience with your phones, and I sympathize with you because it isn't fun when your device isn't working great like mine is... there is only a handful of posts that are pleasant and happy with their L950/XL because it isn't typical behavior for people to post about their GOOD experiences with their phones... but jeez you have a bad experience and woah! watch out! LOL which is normal reaction that people have/do to vent... but that just starts to over shadow all the MANY good experiences that myself and others are having with our phones... I suggest you try to replace your device if your warranty allows it or get another L950 that works right and properly. then I promise you your tune will change and so will your outlook on MS devices.... anyways good luck and I hope it works out for ya
My device is not defective. There are many post around here about the same issues over and over again. You have no issues, good for you but a trip over to the 950 forum will prove the rest of us have had plenty issues. Even when I had w10m on my 1520 there were issues and I had not a single problem on 8.1. To act like everybody who has left this platform had defective devices is blindness or confirms my point of poor quality anyway.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My device is not defective. There are many post around here about the same issues over and over again. You have no issues, good for you but a trip over to the 950 forum will prove the rest of us have had plenty issues. Even when I had w10m on my 1520 there were issues and I had not a single problem on 8.1. To act like everybody who has left this platform had defective devices is blindness or confirms my point of poor quality anyway.
I've owned a couple of 950s, a 950XL and a few 1520s. I must say, your experiences are quite extraordinary. None of my 950-series phones had any of those issues you describe or any of the ones listed on these boards. Phantom touches occurred in every 1520 I had and disappeared when I put Windows 10 on every single one of them. Yes, there were software glitches like Hey Cortana not working but we knew that going in. Losing the phantom touch for Hey Cortana was a no brainer for me. If you want Microsoft to address any elephants, it's the app situation. As my buddy Tony Montana used to say "that is a pig that doesn't fly too straight".

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am on my third third 950xl cause I sold them to see the great thinks I could do with android and ios. Iam back again to the 950xl and w10 mobile! The phone is GREAT as was the case with the other two lumias! W10 mobile is the way for me to go. I just love so much windows 10

Sent from Mars

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll tell you what I would like to see. Either the ability to run 8.1 on the 9xx series ( dual boot ) or Android ( dual boot ) or even Cyanogen as a dual boot.

Maybe if MS gave us a bit more freedom to jump between OS, even if its just 10 and 8.1, we wouldn't feel so miserable. At least we could do a direct comparison, using the same device.

Then the alarm clock went off.....

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I had some fun with my 1520's for a few years and running the latest W10 build of early summer I decided to sell both. There were no real flagships coming except the HP and maybe a "Surface Phone" and I just could not comprehend at this point in the game spending $600-$800 for ANY windows phone.

So I spent the best $200 I have ever spent and picked up a Motorola Nexus 6. It's not perfect (camera can be a little quirky like the 1520), but beyond this every experience compared to my 1520 has been improved. More ram, snappier, big screen, all the great apps, Hey Google works better for me than Cortona, front facing speakers, same battery life as 1520, not tied to one carrier and I got to squeeze in Nougat 7.0 OS as the last official upgrade.

W10 mobile is an afterthought these days. All MS cares about is getting it on your PC and mixing it up with the XBOX one.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit when I had an android device I liked Google voice command . It worked very well, but now I have the 950 and 'hey cortana' is just as convenient,....though there was a few times she did not respond.
Glad people have what works for them.

For me this platform just feels at home. Don't know how else to describe it.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
The biggest issues for me is Satya's inability to follow through on his OWN strategy. He spoke of retrenchment and looking at three core areas now, enterprise, flagship and budget.

Ok, enterprise, fair enough there is movement there and devices, flagship...not so much unless we consider the enterpirse devices as such, budget...lmao, completely abandoned!. The inability to follow through on their strategy is the real concern, to have a strategy and follow it and fail, well hard lines, but to have a strategy and fail to follow it, thats a completely different kind of failure.

Thats why I have switched to Android, got myself a good budget phone running marshmallow and the ms apps.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issues for me is Satya's inability to follow through on his OWN strategy. He spoke of retrenchment and looking at three core areas now, enterprise, flagship and budget.

Ok, enterprise, fair enough there is movement there and devices, flagship...not so much unless we consider the enterpirse devices as such, budget...lmao, completely abandoned!. The inability to follow through on their strategy is the real concern, to have a strategy and follow it and fail, well hard lines, but to have a strategy and fail to follow it, thats a completely different kind of failure.

Thats why I have switched to Android, got myself a good budget phone running marshmallow and the ms apps.
I agree with you, up until that last sentence. My Windows phone works great, suits my needs, and I'm going to buy another one. Lively Live Tiles are great.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, up until that last sentence. My Windows phone works great, suits my needs, and I'm going to buy another one. Lively Live Tiles are great.
Live Tiles are indeed great when they work. My experience was that in many cases the tiles would stop updating or get stuck with old notifications.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles are indeed great when they work. My experience was that in many cases the tiles would stop updating or get stuck with old notifications.

I have another complaint with Live Tiles, and that is that they seem to display arbitrary information. It doesn't seem to always have a lot to do with what is the most recent or relevant. And that is assuming that the Live Tiles are working in the first place!

Another thing I don't like about them is that tapping the Live Tile to open the app is no different than tapping a static icon to open the app. The app just opens to its "home". It seems to me that the app should open to whatever email/photo/message is displayed on the Live Tile at the time you tap it.

Other than that, Live Tiles are great!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I have another complaint with Live Tiles, and that is that they seem to display arbitrary information. It doesn't seem to always have a lot to do with what is the most recent or relevant. And that is assuming that the Live Tiles are working in the first place!

Another thing I don't like about them is that tapping the Live Tile to open the app is no different than tapping a static icon to open the app. The app just opens to its "home". It seems to me that the app should open to whatever email/photo/message is displayed on the Live Tile at the time you tap it.

Great points about Live Tiles. Your posts made me think of a certain app, Instagram. The official Instagram app on Windows 10 (Mobile) is nice, and I would say that it is one update behind (I'm guessing). Anyway, it has a live tile, and it's annoying because it gets stuck most of the time.

My sister sends me messages on there sometimes. I see that she sent me a message on the live tile, and I open it just for the message to go away, and yet, it doesn't. It takes restarting or turning off the phone for it to go away.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have both a 950 and a Nexus 5x right now. The 950 to me is a more "professional" device and I don't have the problems others mention in this thread, though im not doubting them. The 5x is a really nice device also and can do many things. I just enjoy the 950's UI much more. It's clean and links with my laptop and Surface 3. JMHO.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The only Tiles I have active are Outlook and Messaging. I just like the uniformity as opposed to a gazillion icons of differing sizes, shapes and colors. I do miss having the LED notifications from my BlackBerry Passport, especially the RGB options.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Failure is part of the recipe for success.

If MS,IOS + GOOGLE all started at same time. Now that thinking will get you nowhere. We'd accept that if these 3 platforms were all now starting out, the public would accept these issues but since MS is a software company first it's unacceptable to accept these software issues and so many of them. There's currently no device running windows that uses poor specs from low end to high end. The biggest gripe is the firmware and software found on these devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea