The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-03-2016 12:01 AM
61 123
tools
    I have to admit when I had an android device I liked Google voice command . It worked very well, but now I have the 950 and 'hey cortana' is just as convenient,....though there was a few times she did not respond.
    Glad people have what works for them.

For me this platform just feels at home. Don't know how else to describe it.
    11-01-2016 07:37 AM
    Wait, you sold it? I thought it broke?
    No, I sold it after buying the Nexus 6P. I used it for about 1.5 years and grew quite attached to it! It was in perfect health.
    11-01-2016 07:47 AM
    The biggest issues for me is Satya's inability to follow through on his OWN strategy. He spoke of retrenchment and looking at three core areas now, enterprise, flagship and budget.

Ok, enterprise, fair enough there is movement there and devices, flagship...not so much unless we consider the enterpirse devices as such, budget...lmao, completely abandoned!. The inability to follow through on their strategy is the real concern, to have a strategy and follow it and fail, well hard lines, but to have a strategy and fail to follow it, thats a completely different kind of failure.

Thats why I have switched to Android, got myself a good budget phone running marshmallow and the ms apps.
    11-01-2016 09:01 AM
    The biggest issues for me is Satya's inability to follow through on his OWN strategy. He spoke of retrenchment and looking at three core areas now, enterprise, flagship and budget.

Ok, enterprise, fair enough there is movement there and devices, flagship...not so much unless we consider the enterpirse devices as such, budget...lmao, completely abandoned!. The inability to follow through on their strategy is the real concern, to have a strategy and follow it and fail, well hard lines, but to have a strategy and fail to follow it, thats a completely different kind of failure.

Thats why I have switched to Android, got myself a good budget phone running marshmallow and the ms apps.
    I agree with you, up until that last sentence. My Windows phone works great, suits my needs, and I'm going to buy another one. Lively Live Tiles are great.
    Laura Knotek, aximtreo and TgeekB like this.
    11-01-2016 09:39 AM
    I agree with you, up until that last sentence. My Windows phone works great, suits my needs, and I'm going to buy another one. Lively Live Tiles are great.
    Live Tiles are indeed great when they work. My experience was that in many cases the tiles would stop updating or get stuck with old notifications.
    libra89, aximtreo and tgp like this.
    11-01-2016 10:48 AM
    Live Tiles are indeed great when they work. My experience was that in many cases the tiles would stop updating or get stuck with old notifications.
    I have another complaint with Live Tiles, and that is that they seem to display arbitrary information. It doesn't seem to always have a lot to do with what is the most recent or relevant. And that is assuming that the Live Tiles are working in the first place!

Another thing I don't like about them is that tapping the Live Tile to open the app is no different than tapping a static icon to open the app. The app just opens to its "home". It seems to me that the app should open to whatever email/photo/message is displayed on the Live Tile at the time you tap it.

Other than that, Live Tiles are great!
    libra89, aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-01-2016 02:36 PM
    I have another complaint with Live Tiles, and that is that they seem to display arbitrary information. It doesn't seem to always have a lot to do with what is the most recent or relevant. And that is assuming that the Live Tiles are working in the first place!

Another thing I don't like about them is that tapping the Live Tile to open the app is no different than tapping a static icon to open the app. The app just opens to its "home". It seems to me that the app should open to whatever email/photo/message is displayed on the Live Tile at the time you tap it.

Great points about Live Tiles. Your posts made me think of a certain app, Instagram. The official Instagram app on Windows 10 (Mobile) is nice, and I would say that it is one update behind (I'm guessing). Anyway, it has a live tile, and it's annoying because it gets stuck most of the time.

My sister sends me messages on there sometimes. I see that she sent me a message on the live tile, and I open it just for the message to go away, and yet, it doesn't. It takes restarting or turning off the phone for it to go away.
    aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-01-2016 03:03 PM
    I have both a 950 and a Nexus 5x right now. The 950 to me is a more "professional" device and I don't have the problems others mention in this thread, though im not doubting them. The 5x is a really nice device also and can do many things. I just enjoy the 950's UI much more. It's clean and links with my laptop and Surface 3. JMHO.

Sent from mTalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2016 04:09 PM
    The only Tiles I have active are Outlook and Messaging. I just like the uniformity as opposed to a gazillion icons of differing sizes, shapes and colors. I do miss having the LED notifications from my BlackBerry Passport, especially the RGB options.
    11-01-2016 04:15 PM
    Failure is part of the recipe for success.
    If MS,IOS + GOOGLE all started at same time. Now that thinking will get you nowhere. We'd accept that if these 3 platforms were all now starting out, the public would accept these issues but since MS is a software company first it's unacceptable to accept these software issues and so many of them. There's currently no device running windows that uses poor specs from low end to high end. The biggest gripe is the firmware and software found on these devices.
    11-02-2016 08:14 AM
    I like Live Tiles and they work for me. They suit my purpose and are unique and attractive. Are they "absolutely perfect", no. Could they be even "better", yes.
    Wow, Google fans can't let any positive comment go, without a negative comment. Sad.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 11-03-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    11-03-2016 12:01 AM
61 123