The elephant in the room.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
These are the things that just put people off, they are the very basic requirements of a 'phone'. Without reliable WiFi or 4G connections,

You misspelled ****. Adds a lot of umph to the sentence.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Mobile users, as the device is there main interaction for 10-12 hours a day, demand an OS with reliability. They want it to connect to WiFi, without a restart, connect to mobile data reliably and stay in touch with Bluetooth devices. These are just three BASIC area's where W10M still fails. I still get the 'no internet, 'cannot connect', Bluetooth failing during a call, and having a 4G signal that drops to edge as soon as I open Edge browser, this is a regular occurrence, especially at Gatwick or Heathrow. It can't be down to cell overload as my old galaxy note 3 on the same network, connects. Why???? These are the things that just put people off, they are the very basic requirements of a 'phone'. Without reliable WiFi or 4G connections, how are people supposed to twitface etc? How can it be a truly reliable 'mobile' device when a data connect is so unreliable?? The WiFi issue has been present on the 930 since its release, and continues to be so.

As I said, I am a heavy user of the OS and like it, but these 'basics' shouldn't be an issue. It's not a real issue for my drivers, unless they are stuck at an airport and tracking a flight. As the OP says, it 'feels' as if MS don't know where they are going, or what they want to achieve with the mobile branch. IMHO, they are screwed which ever way they turn.

Cabbie, I know you've been an outspoken proponent of the WP OS the last while. But I ask, is it really as bad as it sounds here? Because I would think that if you are relying on them for your business, relying on them for your drivers to stay in contact and keep appointments, that issues to this scale would be a huge issue! It seems to me that a few glitches could potentially cost you more in lost business than the cost of throwing the phones away and getting new ones. (I've ridden a cab in London, and I know what it costs! :wink: ) You said that your Note 3 (3 year old technology) is reliable where these are not.

If it was really this bad, wouldn't you be better off to get even older, cheaper devices and use something that "just works"? Do your drivers like the Windows Phones, or do they have them because you like them?

Kind of another subject, but do you still cook Android ROMs? That is something I've been interested in, but I'm not much of a developer. I've done a little VB, but I don't know much else. Do you have something you cooked on your Note 3?

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just talking about this the other day...Microsoft has some kind of issue with their connectivity on all their platforms, not just mobile. Laptops, Surface and phones have a lot of trouble all the time with wifi, bluetooth, and cell services. Whatever team is responsible for connectivity is completely failing in every release and every OS as it is unstable and a pain to connect at times. One thing I do like about apple products is they connect and work!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
How can this be "the elephant in the room" when this subject gets discussed at nauseam? Lol

"I am leaving WP if . . .
"W10 mobile sucks."
"My next phone is an iPhone"
Etc.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the elephant in the room is called Hadoop :winktongue:

A lot of valid points have been raised, lets see the sales results of HP in a few quarters time. Your right in that releasing a Surface Phone into the platform as it stands today most definitely will tarnish the brand. Looking at the category changing history of Surface products, my money is on seeing a Surface Phone running desktop apps, that means either Intel creating chips which is not clear yet.

Apple and Android device manufactures have iterated the mobile to death (in Samsungs case, literaly) and a big leap in either battery or chip technology is what we need (IMO)

Last edited:

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
What's the problem? We have 3 different companies releasing fairly high end to very high end devices running Windows Mobile (btw I thought they were doing away with that terminology and everything was just Windows 10). There is the HP Elite, Acer Jade Primo, and the Alcatel Idol Pro. There just aren't any coming from the SOFTWARE Giant. Not really sure why we expect hardware from a software company???

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What's the problem? We have 3 different companies releasing fairly high end to very high end devices running Windows Mobile (btw I thought they were doing away with that terminology and everything was just Windows 10). There is the HP Elite, Acer Jade Primo, and the Alcatel Idol Pro. There just aren't any coming from the SOFTWARE Giant. Not really sure why we expect hardware from a software company???

They are no longer only a software company, releasing thier own hardware on their own software gives them an advantage while showing everyone else the commitment in thier own OS and hardware. Windows mobile is just not ready at the moment and risk is not worth taking....yet.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Cabbie, I know you've been an outspoken proponent of the WP OS the last while. But I ask, is it really as bad as it sounds here? Because I would think that if you are relying on them for your business, relying on them for your drivers to stay in contact and keep appointments, that issues to this scale would be a huge issue! It seems to me that a few glitches could potentially cost you more in lost business than the cost of throwing the phones away and getting new ones. (I've ridden a cab in London, and I know what it costs! :wink: ) You said that your Note 3 (3 year old technology) is reliable where these are not.

If it was really this bad, wouldn't you be better off to get even older, cheaper devices and use something that "just works"? Do your drivers like the Windows Phones, or do they have them because you like them?

Kind of another subject, but do you still cook Android ROMs? That is something I've been interested in, but I'm not much of a developer. I've done a little VB, but I don't know much else. Do you have something you cooked on your Note 3?

For me it suits the way in which I work. I got a load of them, and 90% of the time, they work, but just lately the issues are starting to raise their heads, and I'm a bit miffed. When there is a CU, I wonder what they have broken this time. The connection issue with the so called 'flagships' was supposed to be have sorted by the firmware update. I really don't want to go 'elsewhere' because the whole office etc are W10, and it just works (most of the time!)

I'm not sure if it is the radios, or just bugs in W10M. I personally don't mind the SR, although if you could turn them off for charging, that would cure that one! I've got in the habit of doing the SR now, so it's not a big issue.

As for replacing them with cheap 'other' devices, it's not really something I'd considered. Unless I could get several VAT receipts for the accountant! LOL

The Note 3 that the wife is currently using is a cook. It's a mash up of Note 4 and S6. The dialer and messaging is from the S6, the bulk of the rom is N4, de-bloated. My other Fave is from Echo Rom. Helped out testing with a few cracking roms from them.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I myslef agree and disagree with some points, yes W10M was in a shamble when it first released and made the 950XL run like crap! but in all honesty I didnt have THAT much trouble with my phone (only when I updated to beta crap), now several months later and several updates later my phone is running perfectly fine, I don't have wifi connection problems and the wifi here where I work is THE WORST! very slow speeds spotty signal over saturated with people and you know what? my L950XL still connects perfectly! as for the bluetooth problems in the beggining BT was giving me problems because of my Band 2 but after an update that too has fixed itself and I no longer have trouble with my BT and I use BT ALOT! from my band2 to my MS foldable KB to my BT Headphones to my BT handsfree it ALL works perfect! even in my car I have my L950XL connected via tape adapter blasting my music and then a call comes in and it goes through my BT handsfree and then back to my music with no problems! the only true problem I see is MS is not doing enough to get the app gap closed! also yes wm10 still needs to be polished and I'm positive when or IF a surface phone is released then wm10 will be mature enough to handle it and make it the next kick a$$ phone that I know it can be.. but will MS realease a Surface phone? that's another discusion for another time.. sorry SOME of you are having trouble with your phones but I think thats a HW issue and partly SW combined giving you such a bad experiance, but PLEASE stop throwing ALL OF US or ALL OF OUR PHONES into your bad experiance catagory... because thats certainly not true or the case. I just wish MS would get behind its product like Apple does, jeez Apple is so fiercly behind its products its scary! and thats what MS needs to do! advertise more and BETTER and get excited about it! then when we see MS is excited about thier products then so will we...

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used Windows 10 Mobile since the end of June (switched to Android), so I can't comment on the stability of current builds. My 950XL was pretty stable but I know others who didn't have that same good experience. And stability can certainly kill OS adoption, but the real killer is apps, or, more accurately, the lack thereof. Until companies decide to stop making apps (not counting games) and rely on the mobile web (imagine creating an app icon that is just a shortcut to a mobile site), people won't switch to Windows phone. It's not any one specific app - the killer app varies from person to person - but as a whole the app situation kills the phone.

Can anyone honestly say that if the platform was stable Windows phone would be the "gotta' have it app platform"?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think, regardless of the issues of the platform that ACTUALLY exist, the real elephant in the room is the "Grass is Greener" mentality. We have become so spoiled as a society that if its not perfect out of the gate, whats the point. Coming from a tech background, in an office with a large mix of Apple and MS products, THEY ALL FLIPPING BREAK AND HANG. Just STOPPP, please. The reason why there are so many bugs, IMO, is the Insider Program is so littered with "cutting edge" general user types, that they don't get actual feedback. Which is what the feedback hub is for. Instead, theres ******* and moaning on this site and many others about the problems, many of which is user error or just not knowing how to use the platform. The proof is in the posts, that last statement isn't opinion.

MS has a CRYSTAL clear direction for Mobile, Enterprise. They haven't hidden it, or denied it. Yes, they haven't and aren't going to release any branded hardware anytime soon, deal. MS doesn't owe us anything. If the direction isn't what you would do, leave. Enjoy the viruses and security issues on android OR the continual issues with iOS. MS has zero interest in promoting a platform that has issues, been there done that. They are waiting until q3 2017 or slightly after, likely, to release something. OR if the third party devices don't sell at all, they kill it. But I firmly believe they have a coupe more devices, directed at Enterprise, in them. So they wont be general consumer friendly, but they also wont be bleeding edge products, and will cost a premium. There was nothing original in the OP. This is posted over and over on a weekly basis as if its new territory. But, if they'd read the articles here and elsewhere, the direction they are going would be clear. And yes, nothing I posted is original. But, at least I'm content with where they are headed and think we have a solid 18-24months of where we are now, waiting and improving.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There was nothing original in the OP. This is posted over and over on a weekly basis as if its new territory. But, if they'd read the articles here and elsewhere, the direction they are going would be clear. And yes, nothing I posted is original. But, at least I'm content with where they are headed and think we have a solid 18-24months of where we are now, waiting and improving.

There was nothing new in terms of how W10M is perceived. I don't think that was the OP's main point though. I don't want to put words in the OP's mouth (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I think his main point was that WCentral's reporting seems to be somewhat skewed, in the sense that MS' major failures and white-flag-waving are being interpreted and presented as necessary stepping stones on MS' path to ultimate universal domination. As if the failures themselves were part of MS' strategy.

That I would agree with.

FerdiFerdi

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Agree 100%.
Plus - the store resembles a shop in Soviet Russia.
The only major browser allowed in Win 10 Mobile is flaky, unreliable and misfires times and again. One cannot even link a news article to Facebook - the FB app itself has to be loaded three times before it will actually load... etc.
I am now so desperate I am again using my old Samsung S3 as my main phone.
I only check my Lumia every few days in the hope something has changed.
MS is losing this thing at a rate.
The question then is will it escalate? What if Google were to come out with a fully fledged PC/Laptop o/s? One that will actually seamlessly connect to Adroid phones? That may be game over for Windows. Nokia all over?

FerdiFerdi

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
What I do enjoy on the Android phone I went back to is (among other things) that I can log into security cameras and see my premise on the phone when I am away. Without any hicup. For that I have to use the Android phone cause that app is NOT in the Win 10 Mobile app store....
I also want a REAL browser, like Firefox or Chrome not Barbie Doll play browsers that crash or malfunction if you shout at it - like the one Win 10 Mobile forces us to use. (Their own browser...)

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
funny but I find FB working great for me and it has never closed or stopped working or not loaded once yet... which FB are you using? I'm using the FB Beta... as for the browser I think you're talking about Edge? I use Edge on my bus/metro commute to work and it also works great! very smooth, no lock ups no problems, the only thing that bothers me is that it takes so long to load a page when you back up... I mean, it was JUST loaded why would it take so long to load it again.. LOL but Edge is working smooth as butter and never once ever had a problem with a web page that couldn't load up... the only problem I had (which I find hilarious) is with an MS site asking me to install flash player because it needed flash for its adverts LOL... go figure :eck:

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think, regardless of the issues of the platform that ACTUALLY exist, the real elephant in the room is the "Grass is Greener" mentality. We have become so spoiled as a society that if its not perfect out of the gate, whats the point. Coming from a tech background, in an office with a large mix of Apple and MS products, THEY ALL FLIPPING BREAK AND HANG. Just STOPPP, please. The reason why there are so many bugs, IMO, is the Insider Program is so littered with "cutting edge" general user types, that they don't get actual feedback. Which is what the feedback hub is for. Instead, theres ******* and moaning on this site and many others about the problems, many of which is user error or just not knowing how to use the platform. The proof is in the posts, that last statement isn't opinion.

MS has a CRYSTAL clear direction for Mobile, Enterprise. They haven't hidden it, or denied it. Yes, they haven't and aren't going to release any branded hardware anytime soon, deal. MS doesn't owe us anything. If the direction isn't what you would do, leave. Enjoy the viruses and security issues on android OR the continual issues with iOS. MS has zero interest in promoting a platform that has issues, been there done that. They are waiting until q3 2017 or slightly after, likely, to release something. OR if the third party devices don't sell at all, they kill it. But I firmly believe they have a coupe more devices, directed at Enterprise, in them. So they wont be general consumer friendly, but they also wont be bleeding edge products, and will cost a premium. There was nothing original in the OP. This is posted over and over on a weekly basis as if its new territory. But, if they'd read the articles here and elsewhere, the direction they are going would be clear. And yes, nothing I posted is original. But, at least I'm content with where they are headed and think we have a solid 18-24months of where we are now, waiting and improving.
Your entire post is insult to my intelligence. To sit here and call Grooves failure to recognize SD cards or even songs purchased through Groove, power button on the 950 not responding at all, Wi-Fi disconnecting, Bluetooth refusing to turn on or off, Bluetooth reporting to be connected and isn't and won't connect properly until the phone is reset, inconsistent select copy and paste options in Microsoft own apps, Edge refusing to let you type in some sites and loading even Microsoft's own sites wrong, 950 getting so hot it hurts my hands even with a case on it, and plenty of other errors that happen every single day reported here for many users "user error" is complete ignorance. You're bringing absolutely nothing good to discussion. You are literally fighting to ignore the obvious. This is a bad product. It could be good but this is not what quality looks like. We need to stop ignoring this and WC needs to bring attention to this.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Your entire post is insult to my intelligence. To sit here and call Grooves failure to recognize SD cards or even songs purchased through Groove, power button on the 950 not responding at all, Wi-Fi disconnecting, Bluetooth refusing to turn on or off, Bluetooth reporting to be connected and isn't and won't connect properly until the phone is reset, inconsistent select copy and paste options in Microsoft own apps, Edge refusing to let you type in some sites and loading even Microsoft's own sites wrong, 950 getting so hot it hurts my hands even with a case on it, and plenty of other errors that happen every single day reported here for many users "user error" is complete ignorance. You're bringing absolutely nothing good to discussion. You are literally fighting to ignore the obvious. This is a bad product. It could be good but this is not what quality looks like. We need to stop ignoring this and WC needs to bring attention to this.

dude! do ya think maybe, JUST MAYBE, your device is defective? all that you've described is not typical normal behavior for a L950 and I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but my L950XL has none of those problems! my experience has been so pleasant (and some others) that I even got a L950 phone for my GF because her Samsung phone is giving her problems... again your experience is NOT a typical one! and then we have you and madcabbie (and some others) ranting that all windows phones are problematic when in reality you guys are the minority or people having trouble like you're describing... you guys just b!tch and moan about it more because your obviously upset and not having a good typical experience with your phones, and I sympathize with you because it isn't fun when your device isn't working great like mine is... there is only a handful of posts that are pleasant and happy with their L950/XL because it isn't typical behavior for people to post about their GOOD experiences with their phones... but jeez you have a bad experience and woah! watch out! LOL which is normal reaction that people have/do to vent... but that just starts to over shadow all the MANY good experiences that myself and others are having with our phones... I suggest you try to replace your device if your warranty allows it or get another L950 that works right and properly. then I promise you your tune will change and so will your outlook on MS devices.... anyways good luck and I hope it works out for ya

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans