Can I use the Windows Device Recovery tool to update my phone?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been receiving new builds for a long time on my 1520, it's currently on 14393.67. When I connect my 1520 to the Windows Device Recovery Tool on my pc it says that there's an update available for my device with a button to "install software". Can I safely use this to get a newer insider build?

I'm confused because I know this program is normally used to go back to older versions of windows... but it clearly says "There is an update for your device"...

Here's a screenshot:
WDRT.png

Last edited:

unichips

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
There are two kinds of updates to consider: Firmware, and OS.
Given the image capture you've shown, if you use WDRT, you'll be upgrading your firmware, and simultaneously downgrading your OS.

Your firmware will go from 02540.00019.15053.26002 up to 02540.00019.15236.45003.
Your OS will go from Windows 10 Mobile down to Windows Phone 8.1 - probably GDR1, if I'm reading things correctly.

You'd then need to re-install the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile - your device is fully supported by Windows 10 Mobile, so you shouldn't need to go through the Insider program, but rather simply install and run the Upgrade Advisor app.

Using WDRT, all your data will be wiped from the phone. And backups from Windows 10 Mobile probably cannot be restored while your phone is still running Windows Phone 8.x. You'd probably have to re-install Windows 10 Mobile (ideally a version greater than or equal to the version you were running previously) before you could attempt to restore from a Windows 10 Mobile backup.

Last edited:

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
There are two kinds of updates to consider: Firmware, and OS.
Given the image capture you've shown, if you use WDRT, you'll be upgrading your firmware, and simultaneously downgrading your OS.

Your firmware will go from 02540.00019.15053.26002 up to 02540.00019.15236.45003.
Your OS will go from Windows 10 Mobile down to Windows Phone 8.1 - probably GDR1, if I'm reading things correctly.

You'd then need to re-install the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile - your device is fully supported by Windows 10 Mobile, so you shouldn't need to go through the Insider program, but rather simply install and run the Upgrade Advisor app.

Using WDRT, all your data will be wiped from the phone. And backups from Windows 10 Mobile probably cannot be restored while your phone is still running Windows Phone 8.x. You'd probably have to re-install Windows 10 Mobile (ideally a version greater than or equal to the version you were running previously) before you could attempt to restore from a Windows 10 Mobile backup.

Thanks for the clarification. This is very misleading... It says there's an update for my device but if I click that button it will downgrade to 8.1...

Now I still have to figure out how to receive new builds again.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. This is very misleading... It says there's an update for my device but if I click that button it will downgrade to 8.1...

Now I still have to figure out how to receive new builds again.

Not quite. This tool only can update your phone to the latest Windows 10 Mobile build if your phone was shipped with it, which the 1520 does not.

Just follow @unichips ' directions and you should be able to get updates that are available.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Not quite. This tool only can update your phone to the latest Windows 10 Mobile build if your phone was shipped with it, which the 1520 does not.

Just follow @unichips ' directions and you should be able to get updates that are available.

If getting new builds require me to first downgrade to 8.1 then I will never update again I guess. I don't want to lose my gamedata on Terraria at all cost.

I don't understand why I can't just receive new builds... Why would I need to downgrade to 8.1 first...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If getting new builds require me to first downgrade to 8.1 then I will never update again I guess. I don't want to lose my gamedata on Terraria at all cost.

I don't understand why I can't just receive new builds... Why would I need to downgrade to 8.1 first...

Aside from that, the only thing I can suggest is to join Insider to get updates. Try changing your ring to Slow or Fast or Release Preview.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
the update as seen on the screenshot is of firmware which should be available on your device in a few days and isn't necessary for you to update it using wdrt. joining insider or quiting it wont speed up the process as you will receive the firmware update even when on insiders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro