Windows 10 Mobile Camera App-Horrible reliability

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Whoever genuinely has the same problem - Camera processing stops, leaving behind low res .jpeg.thumb files, please upvote

feedback-hub:?contextid=132&feedbackid=c64f8dce-e450-4528-bd16-ae3f7dffce5c&form=2&src=2

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Whoever has the exact same problem -Camera processing crashes, leaving behind low-res .jpeg.thumb files, please upvote below

feedback-hub:?contextid=132&feedbackid=c64f8dce-e450-4528-bd16-ae3f7dffce5c&form=2&src=2

sgtdisney

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
You are not alone. I have 2 640s, and am on the windows insider program and have the one of my 640s on the Release track and the other on the fast track. The one on the release track is my original T-mobile phone and I use it as my regular phone. It is doing exactly what you describe. I can take 2-5 pictures and then it will say saving. It will say saving for days if I left it. Eventually I have to shut the phone off and turn it back on again to get saving to go away. I cannot take any other pictures when it is on saving. When I open it back up the pictures are "there" the folder but no applications (FB/Instagram) can "see" them. The pictures are saved with a .thumb extention. This happens randomly as well and sometimes pictures I take before I get the Saving... issue are also saved with the .thumb extention.

It is infuriating. I was away this week for my anniversary, and had to reboot the phone numerous times. I ended up having to use my work iPhone 5s to take pics because the 640 was so unreliable. Now, I know, I am on a release preview, so I can't complain too much, but I wanted windows 10 and T-mobile just walked away from it. I did try the same thing on my ATT version, unlocked 640 running on the fast track and this doesn't seem to be happening. It does say saving for like 10-15 seconds or more in HDR mode, but eventually it goes away and the pictures save without the .thumb extension. I ended up having to rename a bunch of photos in the file explorer and remove the .thumb extension to be able to share them with family.

I was so ticked off, on the way home from our trip, I ended up buying a clearance Moto G at Best Buy just to start playing with it. I am not a fan of Android, but Microsoft is making it more and more difficult to be loyal to the brand, as much as I love the Windows interface on the phone. They aren't even going to sell Microsoft band anymore. So again, Windows folks are left high and dry. .

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I am having a similar problem on my Icon (Production Ring). I took several pictures that never showed up in the photo app. They were both 'regular' and HDR. I used file manager too look for them, as well as back up on One Drive, and they were nowhere to be found.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
oh I see, it has happened to me but not recently, I'm not enthusiastic to use my camera as I used to be, probably because of all this, but if it helps I've seen something similar with video recordings, after hitting stop you get a file weighting 400kb or something like that, completely useless

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I did some more troubleshooting and it's definitely the camera's processing crashing midway (happens more frequently after a burst).

When you take a picture, too processing is completed, the images show up as low res .jpeg.thumb files. I just did 10 pics in series and they showed up in file explorer as .jpeg.thumb. Sure enjoy, slowly all of them grew up into full jpegs, expect one, which remained .jpeg.thumb. No, I didn't open the file or anything to interrupt the processing, just saw the directory in file explorer. Now to figure out what causes processing to stop. Should be something typical, as I am seemingly the only one with this issue.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Not sure if the Lumia Camera Beta even installs on the 950XL (or new phones with Windows 10 Mobile out of the box), but you can give it a try. It has different image processing algorithms than the Microsoft Camera, so might work.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=ecd79878-7b67-4859-af28-ab637bcaa96c

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if the Lumia Camera Beta even installs on the 950XL (or new phones with Windows 10 Mobile out of the box), but you can give it a try. It has different image processing algorithms than the Microsoft Camera, so might work.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=ecd79878-7b67-4859-af28-ab637bcaa96c

It works on and off. I was able to install it on my Lumia 550. Half of the time, it does take the picture without issue. The other half, it doesn't and part of the image is just black.

sokhi

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
After latest update windows camera app not working properly. Even in manual settings camera picks Auto mode and overrides your selected settings........ Really annoying ........

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I switched to phone memory last few days, for photos, same problem. Was at a birthday party and was asked to take pics on my "Lumia" (considering how I used to blabber about the camera and all) and while the kid was blowing the candle, after a burst of 2 photos, it got stuck in "Saving". I had to lie and say my phone ran out of battery.

The 2 photos I did get are low res and .thumb. Hopefully the father won't notice.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I just got a new camera update, maybe it will fix your problems (you'll have to test it, I haven't had the issue so can't compare)

mightymask69

May 31, 2012
Visit site
i had the same problem. lost several good memories bc of my 950. i had been saving to an sd card at the time. i since switched to saving on the phone, which improved saving time, and i dont think i lost a photo yet, but i havent had an occasion where i took a lot of photos.
i think the 950 (or windows mobile - i dont know how lower tier phones perform, i only get the top tier windows phones and even they underwhelm me) just doesn't handle saving large photos or videos well.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's unbelievable MS has not made a Camera app a priority, as its such a key feature for smartphones.

I have found the 640XL to be a much better shooter than th 950XL, which would overheat, go to "Saving", crash, run out of battery after 5 hours, and randomly restart. So, some hardware problems on 950xl, but the app also needs a lot if work

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I went to Ireland a couple of days ago and I was taking pictures all the time, 182 images total. The app never gave me any problem, it was excellent!

Sent from mTalk on my Lumia 535.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz