The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-19-2016 06:36 AM
96 1234
tools
    MS actually understands its fruitless (pun intended) to keep fighting against Apple and Google's dominance in the consumer smartphone market. They are moving forward with the Surface line, etc. and blazing a trail (or at least planning to) for the future of mobile. I think this is the correct strategy and time will tell.

Originally posted by Elky64
    Originally Posted by abhishek singh21
    we have come so far windows 10 mobile, so just hold on a little more as to what happens next.
    Not sure about the so far part if MS still cant get the basics down pat. As for holding on, suppose if retro is your thing you will stay put yet believe most live in todays world where they keep pace with technology, dont see WP being it.
    10-31-2016 05:49 PM
    You can't compare the two. MS has the means to sit back and innovate towards the future. Blackberry did not and paid the price.

Originally posted by Elky64
    Originally Posted by beman39
    I swear to gawd nadella is a double agent working for Apple LOL just the dumb decisions he's made against windows mobile and letting it fall to pieces like it is heading, I swear its done on purpose... its gotta be or he doesn't know WTF he's doing in the mobile dept. if MS or someone intelligent and knows what they're doing in the mobile dept. would be making MS BIG BUCKS if they just gave a sh!t about W10M and could actually see the direction it could be taken into! #1 get moving on hounding devs by giving incentives or profit % ontop of their money income from what the apps/games generate, just in the beginning to get all the big devs in their pocket. #2 start hounding the programmers to get continuum to fully be mature and start wowing people (and devs) to get people wanting W10M into it! #3 get that bloody Surface phone into the market and into the hands of us folks and I'm not talking about some cheap version like L950/XL is, but something substantial and premium like the Elite X3 (talking about hardware spec. wise) #4 get w10m fully polished and working flawless and stable like w8m WAS. then I can tell with 100% certainty that W10M will be the next big thing that everyone will want!

EDIT: oh, and if MS would advert. amazingly like they did with the SURFACE STUDIO and showcase what you can do with w10m and continuum, then deeyaaam, watch out!
    Would be nice yet the damage has already been done, remember BlackBerry?
    10-31-2016 05:52 PM
    You can't compare the two. MS has the means to sit back and innovate towards the future. Blackberry did not and paid the price.
    I have no problem comparing the two because it's the bottom line that counts and not who has deeper pockets, just means BB sunk faster. And the bottom line, the whole platforms perception as a whole has been tainted severely which I highly doubt enterprise, as it's supposedly now targeted for, will be its saving grace. Hard to believe there is a market for those willing to invest into uncertainty and instability, sure that may change at some point but "soon" isn't much of a selling feature nor is MS tack record with the platform.
    10-31-2016 07:13 PM
    or at least planning to
    Sorry, "planning to" just doesn't seem fit nor the proper mentality for today's world, even if you are not intending to compete with the others.
    10-31-2016 07:17 PM
    I have no problem comparing the two because it's the bottom line that counts and not who has deeper pockets, just means BB sunk faster. And the bottom line, the whole platforms perception as a whole has been tainted severely which I highly doubt enterprise, as it's supposedly now targeted for, will be its saving grace. Hard to believe there is a market for those willing to invest into uncertainty and instability, sure that may change at some point but "soon" isn't much of a selling feature nor is MS tack record with the platform.
    MS owns the PC market, right? BB has (had) no such equal. Completely different. Being diversified means you can make choices others can't and be patient.
    10-31-2016 08:08 PM
    Would like to add to my official post ...got the phone working way better did the updates of phone apps before log in one by one lol . Also after log in did one by one again and find that apps work ok some little slow amd to be on here use etalk app that works amazing but the way around stuff I have found out that the browse edge works way better than before it actually let's Facebook load fast.
    Now Kijiji and ebay work good too it's at least for me a positive way to get around with out apps with better speed .
    I would say apps are getting more dedication to more powerful hardware phones so think my 640 xl is one of the issues but still working good ...just my two cents

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    10-31-2016 08:10 PM
    Sorry, "planning to" just doesn't seem fit nor the proper mentality for today's world, even if you are not intending to compete with the others.
    Read my above comment. There is no hurry. MS can plan for the future while sitting out today's smartphone market. In the mean time, they are building a following with their Surface product line. Will it ultimately work? We don't know but i would out my money on them finding their way.
    10-31-2016 08:11 PM
    MS owns the PC market, right? BB has (had) no such equal. Completely different. Being diversified means you can make choices others can't and be patient.
    With a market share at an all-time low (mid-2016 @ 0.7%) not sure your view is going to hold water much longer, even WM (PocketPC) had better stats. Then factor in the mobile user's perception of WP and I'm sad to say, the Phoenix won't be rising anytime soon nor will the endless money tree keep it from being seen for what it is or isn't... And yes BB's shares are at 0.2% so MS wins ;)
    10-31-2016 09:05 PM
    Read my above comment. There is no hurry. MS can plan for the future while sitting out today's smartphone market. In the mean time, they are building a following with their Surface product line. Will it ultimately work? We don't know but i would out my money on them finding their way.
    FUTURE! What do you think now and tomorrow is? You are right about "no hurry" and if that is their mentality it won't enough to sustain the platform, and that IS the truth.
    10-31-2016 09:10 PM
    FUTURE! What do you think now and tomorrow is? You are right about "no hurry" and if that is their mentality it won't enough to sustain the platform, and that IS the truth.
    They don't care what you think future is, don't even care if you think it's not the right move or simply move on . I bought Microsoft stock shortly after owning the Lumia 920, it was like 29$ or something... Nowadays, it has hit 60+ and momentum for them to keep going up. So clearly none of the mobile stuff is important to their bottom line.

Mobile is an important strategy for them sure but other things are making the money so they're going to grow those things first. Mobile is a toy side project for them. They have no need for it to make them anything now and they have time to figure out how they want to re-enter the mobile market. Just sucks for those of us that would like to see more frequent phone releases and buzz.

It's kinda funny, them keeping silent about it and just moving on actually builds confidence in the platform for me cause I've seen them talk about it forever, put bits and pieces of it together, come up with one windows for all devices and it's pretty cool having my SP3 and S3, phones (920, 930, 950XL) all coming together under a pretty common windows10 platform. The platform is really healthy when you look at the big picture.

It's clear now that windows10 can work on all sorts of size screens, it's figuring out what windows10 can do to for each screen type. They ruled the ultra portable 2 in 1, they did the huge surface hub, going holographic AR and/or VR ... All in one PC... what's next... dunno. It's been said here many times that they want OEMs to do the traditional phone and looks like they will come back when they feel they've got something to show.

The platform is sustaining itself just fine with all the other things in their portfolio.
    libra89, TgeekB and aximtreo like this.
    11-01-2016 01:27 AM
    You can take it personal and get all upset if you want. They are clear on what their path is.
    Trust me, I understand people want a new phone today. That's not going to happen. Running a business, especially the size of MS, means you cant always listen to the millions of voices telling you a million different things. You make a plan and stick with it. If you cant accept that then move on. I'm not sure what else to say. Peace.

Sent from mTalk
    11-01-2016 03:21 PM
    With a market share at an all-time low (mid-2016 @ 0.7%) not sure your view is going to hold water much longer, even WM (PocketPC) had better stats. Then factor in the mobile user's perception of WP and I'm sad to say, the Phoenix won't be rising anytime soon nor will the endless money tree keep it from being seen for what it is or isn't... And yes BB's shares are at 0.2% so MS wins ;)
    You're not looking at the whole picture, just the piece you want to focus on. MS is not a Mobile phone producer.

Sent from mTalk
    11-01-2016 03:23 PM
    Hey, I like this mTalk app. Not bad!

Sent from mTalk
    libra89, Joe920 and aximtreo like this.
    11-01-2016 03:24 PM

Sent from mTalk
    I think it's pretty cool. I miss the notifications for when people quote you though. I get PM notifications but nothing else.

I hope it's something that I am doing.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-01-2016 07:33 PM
    You're not looking at the whole picture, just the piece you want to focus on. MS is not a Mobile phone producer.

Sent from mTalk
    Think most should be more concerned about the OS itself rather than the hardware… MS has been delving into the mobile/phone world with their operating systems, in one form or another, since the 90s, so what does that say in light of where it stands today? And their newest evolution of the OS (UWP) won’t cut it if they can’t get a stranglehold on is instability and inconsistency. Think in the end many are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    11-01-2016 08:48 PM
    btw for the random restart it could have been a poorly written app/game that caused the restart, not necessarily was it caused by hardware
    If it's a hardware related defect, then another round of testing with a replacement device is only fair. However, if it's an app that caused the random restarts, then the device deserves a one way ticket to the trash bin! An app should NEVER be able to cause a restart of the device, no matter what the developer does. That's one of the main jobs an OS must do! An app may crash itself, but if it can take down the whole OS with it, then the OS is failing in an utterly spectacular and unacceptable way. W10M exhibited this sort of failure a lot more before the AU. This is what drove me to leave the OS. Random restarts should be considered an instant death sentence for any smartphone. WP7 never reset on me once. Ever. In my years of using WP8/WP8.1 I only ever experienced one umwanted restart after letting the device fall onto pavement.

Two random restarts in less than a year is enough to warrant rejection. I've had plenty of devices that met my reliability expectations. We shouldn't lower the bar to a level so low that any garbage product can pass.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-02-2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: formatting
    Guytronic, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    11-02-2016 12:04 AM
    It's not the software for me. In fact I'm having a real hard time letting go of my Windows phone, going back to my LG G4. It's the few apps that are killing me and the fact I have Zero faith in Microsoft at the moment when it comes to the mobile platform. I understand their position in changing strategies because they feel they've lost too much ground. However, I just feel like us loyal customers have been hung out to dry while they change directions. If this was the case why in the world did they buy the hardware division from Nokia to start with? Nokia didn't do allot of advertising but they sure have it more effort than Microsoft did with the 950 and 950xl. Might not have made a difference but I know if I was an app developer and saw no effort to increase market share, I wouldn't have developed apps for the platform either

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    aximtreo and slivy58 like this.
    11-02-2016 03:19 AM
    If it's a hardware related defect, then another round of testing with a replacement device is only fair. However, if it's an app that caused the random restarts, then the device deserves a one way ticket to the trash bin! An app should NEVER be able to cause a restart of the device, no matter what the developer does. That's one of the main jobs an OS must do! An app may crash itself, but if it can take down the whole OS with it, then the OS is failing in an utterly spectacular and unacceptable way. W10M exhibited this sort of failure a lot more before the AU. This is what drove me to leave the OS. Random restarts should be considered an instant death sentence for any smartphone. WP7 never reset on me once. Ever. In my years of using WP8/WP8.1 I only ever experienced one umwanted restart after letting the device fall onto pavement.

Two random restarts in less than a year is enough to warrant rejection. I've had plenty of devices that met my reliability expectations. We shouldn't lower the bar to a level so low that any garbage product can pass.
    Thank you for this post. Very well said.

I figured that I wasn't crazy. That makes sense why you left. I generally have the same experience as you with my devices. I have had issues, sure but never a random restart. Too many choices here to deal with random restarts in the name of being "loyal".
    a5cent likes this.
    11-02-2016 07:30 AM

yes because Apps that are coded wrongly or poorly won't have an advers affect on a device? buddy apps have been responsible for ALL platforms of random restarts from android to IOS to windows computers to what have you... so you saying that is obsurd! so you're gonna bring back ALL of your devices that have a random restart? really?!! also I mentioned it could be a bad update or some other factor that caused the restart maybe he was running beta updates?... my point was he was too quick to bring it back... thats all I'm saying...

also maybe it was in the begining of w10m and wasn't as good as it is today or running beta editions, because with AU and new updates W10M is running top notch, ever since the beginning of owning my device there has been MINOR problems and that was because I was having trouble with the beta releases...when I quite that, my device has been running flawless and now the L950 I just got for my GF is running perfectly! theres so many UNKOWN variables of why his L950 was resarting... but IMO it isn't as bad as some poeple on here making it out to be...
    11-02-2016 09:36 AM
    yes because Apps that are coded wrongly or poorly won't have an advers affect on a device? buddy apps have been responsible for ALL platforms of random restarts from android to IOS to windows computers to what have you... so you saying that is obsurd! so you're gonna bring back ALL of your devices that have a random restart? really?!! also I mentioned it could be a bad update or some other factor that caused the restart maybe he was running beta updates?... my point was he was too quick to bring it back... thats all I'm saying...
    Buddy, I never claimed that a poorly coded app can't have "adverse affects" on a device. Battery life would be one such example. That's just not what libra89, you or I were previously talking about.

Libra specifically mentioned random restarts. In your post which I quoted you also limited your discussion to that specific topic. I think I was also quite clear that my point is strictly limited to an app's ability to trigger forced restarts. Forget the "adverse affects" angle. You wrote:

it could have been a poorly written app/game that caused the restart
    Yes. At least in previous versions of W10M that could have been. For an OS to fail on that level however, it must be so incredibly immature that it should in no way be in consumer's hands. Such a device most definitely deserves to be instantly returned, as it should never have been released in the first place. Not even as a beta. An OS at that maturity level is comparable to an old office building with a foundation that requires a complete overhaul. Such an OS is also very unlikely to become reliable in a reasonable amount of time , as it necessarily means there is still a lot of "heavy construction" going on (by no means just polishing).

So, to be very clear, when confronted with that specific problem, it's not possible to be "too quick to bring it back". It shouldn't have been sold to begin with. That's all I'm saying.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-02-2016 11:29 AM

also maybe it was in the begining of w10m and wasn't as good as it is today or running beta editions, because with AU and new updates W10M is running top notch, ever since the beginning of owning my device there has been MINOR problems and that was because I was having trouble with the beta releases...when I quite that, my device has been running flawless and now the L950 I just got for my GF is running perfectly! theres so many UNKOWN variables of why his L950 was resarting... but IMO it isn't as bad as some poeple on here making it out to be...
    Strange how my Android and iOS devices have never had a restart, ever. Shoot, our 1st gen iPad has never seen a reset either, not once... OOONLY in Windows
    libra89 likes this.
    11-02-2016 11:37 AM
    Strange how my Android and iOS devices have never had a restart, ever. Shoot, our 1st gen iPad has never seen a reset either, not once... OOONLY in Windows
    strange how my android devices have... my Galaxy Note 2 and my BB phone had restarts happen! strange huh?
    11-02-2016 12:07 PM
    Buddy, I never claimed that a poorly coded app can't have "adverse affects" on a device. Battery life would be one such example. That's just not what libra89, you or I were previously talking about.

Libra specifically mentioned random restarts. In your post which I quoted you also limited your discussion to that specific topic. I think I was also quite clear that my point is strictly limited to an app's ability to trigger forced restarts. Forget the "adverse affects" angle. You wrote:

Yes. At least in previous versions of W10M that could have been. For an OS to fail on that level however, it must be so incredibly immature that it should in no way be in consumer's hands. Such a device most definitely deserves to be instantly returned, as it should never have been released in the first place. Not even as a beta. An OS at that maturity level is comparable to an old office building with a foundation that requires a complete overhaul. Such an OS is also very unlikely to become reliable in a reasonable amount of time , as it necessarily means there is still a lot of "heavy construction" going on (by no means just polishing).

So, to be very clear, when confronted with that specific problem, it's not possible to be "too quick to bring it back". It shouldn't have been sold to begin with. That's all I'm saying.
    no but libra and YOU did say that restarts doesn't happen on other devides which is FALSE, also I was just saying that it might have been premature to return the device just on 2 restarts... he also didn't mention what time frame did these restarts occur? 2 in 1 day 2 in 1 week 2 in 30 days? and please stop with the nonsense, restarts can happen in how ever old the OS is... it does happen when program is not coded properly and causes a catastrophic event which cause the OS to reboot/restart... happens all the time! or sometime you get BSOD or sometimes you get freezes... it manifeste in differant ways for differant systems... so in conclusion W10M didn't/hasn't gone downhill it is getting better and better everyday... NOT INCLUDING THE BETA!
    11-02-2016 12:18 PM
    strange how my android devices have... my Galaxy Note 2 and my BB phone had restarts happen! strange huh?
    I NEVER had an unannounced restart on my BlackBerry's, Android's nor i-Device's, nor my MacBook Pro, repeat, NEVER. My first introduction to that on a portable device was, you guessed it, a Windows Phone, same experience I was use to with Windows PC, of course with the latter that soon became pretty much non-existent when W7 came along theeeeen, there was W10. Amazing how we end up coming full circle isn't it.

Now that I've ruffled your feathers... In all fairness I do know it happens on other platforms yet from my experiences and other I know, it isn't nearly as prevalent on those platforms compared to Windows in general, IMO, MS cornered the market on that one long long ago.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-02-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-02-2016 01:39 PM

Sent from mTalk
    Not bad at all.
    Quite confusing, though, coming from Tapatalk. :)

Sent with Lumia 640XL from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    11-02-2016 01:44 PM
96 1234