Has anybody noticed windows 10 mobile has actually gotten really good lately?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@VetDuarte yea it sucks nothing is perfect out of the box but it's like that ever since google popularized beta as production and were basically applauded for it.

Now there is so much pressure to release before it's too late. Release before someone beats you to it. Then it does get better eventually.

And in terms of windows OS being screwed, maybe cause I don't use enough stuff but with every iteration of windows I still managed to get my work done and can't really say the annoying bugs ever affected my ability to work. Well maybe early in 8.1 when every time my sp3 went to sleep I lost everything lol.
@PerfectReign had an amusing commentary about his android auto experience.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been running 14393.726 on my 950 for a while, I had an odd problem yesterday morning where Cortana wouldn't answer an incoming text. A reboot took care of it. I go weeks without restarting my phone, I don't know if that is an issue or not. I have been using Loco Music instead of Groove because it kills my battery. I would routinely have to charge after 11-12 hours. yesterday after 11 hours I had 50%. Looking up.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I came to this forum after a bit of a hiatus to post something similar to the OP, but then I found this thread. I switched to Android last year, currently using an Honor 5X. The most recent Windows phone I was running before that was a Lumia 640 which initially was on Insider builds of Win10M but eventually I went back to the production builds. After some initial back and forth, I've been using Android full time for the better part of the last year.

I've kept the 640 around just to see how things go with Win10M, and for the last several months, I've used it around the house as a sort of mini tablet. Literally two days ago I decided to swap my SIM back in, and I've been amazed. The experience has been surprisingly good. I always liked the live tiles interface. Still do; it's like having an old friend back. But more importantly, the phone seems to be... working. I mean when I switched to Android, W10M was a mess. Laggy, crashy, and apps I used like the Insteon app were broken. But the past couple of days, Win10M has been performing smoothly, and the 640 is definitely dated hardware at this point so that's great. And apps that I've been using like Tunein radio, Insteon, even my Ring doorbell app seem to be working fine.

Now I know that this sounds like damning with faint praise, but I'm really impressed, especially with the sort of dire stories that surround Windows phone (plunging market share, apps leaving, etc.) Despite all that, clearly the Windows team has been continuing to work on the core of the platform, and it's in much better shape today than it was last year. And I hope that means good things for the Windows 10 platform overall going forward. Now there are still apps I want to continue using on Android that aren't available on Win10M, so I can't see myself switching back exclusively anytime soon, if ever, but at least now I have a glimmer of hope for the future.

I'm even now thinking what would have been unthinkable for me last year. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a higher end Windows phone like the Idol 4s, because there are some Continuum scenarios I'd like to experiment with, and also the Honor 5X's fingerprint sensor has spoiled me for biometric sensors on phones.

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Received the latest build last week and the phone has been really bad again. The issues are:

• Freezing while on the internet
    Camera not launching from the button
    Glance not working
    Not turning on from double tap
    Not turning on from button press
    On calls when taking phone from face screen stays black
    Poor call quality
    When trying to end call freezing up
    Battery life terrible - 5/4 hours from a full charge
    Frost Free app has not worked since last 2 updates
    Tiles not updating
Build 10.0.15063.297
FW 01078.00053.16236.35022
HW 2.1.6.2
Radio BO25c43.00024.0001
SOC 8992

Anyone else having these issues?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I never did a hard reset on any iOS device, as it is simply not necessary. Hard resets only when you sell a phone and need to clean up everything.

But here we are on Windows, and the OS is so much broken that indeed a hard reset helps when things get dirty.

Of course you need at least half a day to restore everything, because even a "backup" is not what it is on other systems. Lots of fiddling and settings necessary, lots of data not saved by a "restore".

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I never did a hard reset on any iOS device, as it is simply not necessary. Hard resets only when you sell a phone and need to clean up everything.

But here we are on Windows, and the OS is so much broken that indeed a hard reset helps when things get dirty.

Of course you need at least half a day to restore everything, because even a "backup" is not what it is on other systems. Lots of fiddling and settings necessary, lots of data not saved by a "restore".

Its the same on android, that you need to reset sometimes. Apple have it pretty easy software wise, they code for one hardware platform, limited range, and they have a very simple UI, with not a great deal of features. Android and Windows both try to achieve a lot more, it terms of the code, inter device compatibility, functions, management. The software stack is a great deal more complicated in both.
iOS hasn't even significantly changed its UI since release - its still basically 2005 in ios world. Different goals. If apples software project in ios were more ambitious, like its desktop OS, it would also suffer more issues - not that it is without them as I am sure many iPhone users can attest - app crashes are actually more common in ios, than in android.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You still believe W10M be merged again with W10?

Of course. I've never not believed that.

MSFT stated that feature2 was because of work ongoing onecore (and I can understand why they are doing that with WoA coming out, project scorpio, windows s AND the rumoured cshell - unifying the platform across devices is quite a task, especially with a raft of new windows 10 variants coming out).

Splitting development branches is not that uncommon and occurs for a variety of reasons, such as delaying features for user testing. In this case its because of all the changes needed to the central unifying code, due to all that new software it needs to run. Literally how could they NOT put all hands on deck to perfect the onecore code, and put that first in line?

With windows s, and windows on arm, and the console platform, all attracting devs to full UWP (and the software bridges, and new xamarin), and the complete impracticality of WoA ever running on a phone, I can't see why any company in this situation would abandon mobile at this point.

Clearly its 100% full steam ahead with the UWP platform. The whole point of which is to unify devices. I very much doubt MS will give up on telephony based devices, or wearables, or smarthome or machine learning or any other device player in our immediate future. They just want that development base, in order to make it competitive. And strategically that's complicated, practically its a lot of coding and hardware manufacture. It requires an extreme sense of time sensitive priorities, and a careful selection thereof.

If they put win10 mobile first in this instance, it would make no sense at all. Who's going to come to a mobile platform that has less than 1/3 of the apps of competitors? And there's the whole issue of the ongoing battles in domains they do have sway in - notebooks, tablets, consoles AND future techs everyone is battling for VR/AR, machine learning.

Now in history is kind of a key moment for MS. They could make or break.

It's just on a backburner a little because the other pieces have to be in place (mindshare, the surface brand, a novel piece of hardware, the uwp platform itself most importantly - and all the moves that lead to it). It's also because of course, mobile as a cash cow, is about to shrink. Better to be first to the party on something else, than last to the party that's about to become less profitable.

Packing up shop now, especially when its still making and not costing money would be weird. Phones, in some form, will stay around, even if they aren't the investment opportunity they are now. If they quit now, that would baffle me, TBH, commercially. The strategy they are playing right now seems a lot smarter than all that, in a business sense.

I don't think the rejoin to the main branch will be that far off. Redstone 3 development is still early. I don't think win10m will get a lot of feature updates in the FCU though. Given all that's being packed in, it'll likely be entirely trickle down.

Windows 10 mobile IS their mobile platform, well that and IoT core, just like every other branch, it will continue to be developed, when they have the time. If they gave it up, it would be like surrendering the entire objective, the whole vision, their survival and comeback strategy.

Even if they take hits in the hardware market, or marketshare, right now MS pretty much HAVE to believe in the whole onecore, conversation as a platform, mobile first, cloud first, one OS across hardware, UWP, 0d to 3d ;vision. It's sustained progress and momentum that will likely define their success or failure, with such a big and ambitious project.

Last edited:

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Mine was great until the creators update. Total garbage release, they branched the code and missed a bunch of fixes from the pre creators update branch.

So frustrating that the biggest software company in the world can't manage simple cherry picks.

hughjazz44

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Received the latest build last week and the phone has been really bad again. The issues are:

• Freezing while on the internet
    Camera not launching from the button
    Glance not working
    Not turning on from double tap
    Not turning on from button press
    On calls when taking phone from face screen stays black
    Poor call quality
    When trying to end call freezing up
    Battery life terrible - 5/4 hours from a full charge
    Frost Free app has not worked since last 2 updates
    Tiles not updating
Build 10.0.15063.297
FW 01078.00053.16236.35022
HW 2.1.6.2
Radio BO25c43.00024.0001
SOC 8992

Anyone else having these issues?
Yes. Creator's Update is total garbage.
I did a phone restore to get rid of it, only to have the phone auto-update itself again while I slept!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the changes made. BT is slightly problematic in that it won't connect to the Polar HR7 but being an Icon, I'm frozen in time. The rest of the system works a treat and hats off to the team for doing a great job in spite of what the future holds. Stuck with VZ - so IOS for me I think in the Fall. But would loved to have seen a future for 10. And of course we know it will live on in other things so that's a good thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)