Has anybody noticed windows 10 mobile has actually gotten really good lately?

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It's been getting better in the sense that it's not so buggy. But then, it should be this way from day one, and should become great by now. Fact is, many apps are now gone!

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy now that I moved to the fast ring. The latest release preview build broke notifications on my phone and made it useless.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
it is, but I realized it was mostly placebo effect after getting used to how bad it was, it feels like now its so perfect, but my gf's iphone showed me how wrong I was

just got me thinking, iphone 5s is a dual core 1gb ram device, 92x lumias are the same, yet see how they run, that iphone can keep more than twice the apps than my icon in background and resume all of them instantly, and they are richer apps to boot, steve on AAWP says RS2 is way faster, and it excites me but at the same time I'm like.. yea, it should be, its no celebration matter really, its just catching up to stuff

sure it must run perfectly on some 950's and X3s, but mind you, if you don't pay a performance penalty on w10 over 8.1 you pay a battery life one, no way around that, just imagine how long would that 950 last you if it was on 8.1

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There was a definite performance improvement with the latest cumulative update to 14393. My 1020 "seems faster" and on par wit WP8.1
According to allaboutwindowsphone RS2 is even faster than RS1. I think the Creators Update is where W10M will finally be a really awesome OS

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
It's been getting better in the sense that it's not so buggy. But then, it should be this way from day one, and should become great by now. Fact is, many apps are now gone!

No software can be bug-free since day one, but for W10M, it is not acceptable since the amount of bugs that it had was way too much for a day-one release. Looking at other softwares like iOS or Android, yes, they do have bugs when they were first released. However, these bugs were not groundbreaking and number only a few.

But for what it's worth, W10M really have moved forward from those days. Even now on FR, the latest builds are so stable, I'm not even sure if I'm actually beta testing for Microsoft anymore. But then again, no major features had been added except for the Update thingy that came with the build released today.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by EspHack
it is, but I realized it was mostly placebo effect after getting used to how bad it was, it feels like now its so perfect, but my gf's iphone showed me how wrong I was

just got me thinking, iphone 5s is a dual core 1gb ram device, 92x lumias are the same, yet see how they run, that iphone can keep more than twice the apps than my icon in background and resume all of them instantly, and they are richer apps to boot, steve on AAWP says RS2 is way faster, and it excites me but at the same time I'm like.. yea, it should be, its no celebration matter really, its just catching up to stuff

sure it must run perfectly on some 950's and X3s, but mind you, if you don't pay a performance penalty on w10 over 8.1 you pay a battery life one, no way around that, just imagine how long would that 950 last you if it was on 8.1

I do believe that Apple have full control over their specs, especially their own processors. Everyone else buys stuff in.

The latest Apple chips are pretty good performers. My iPad mini 3 absolutely hammers my wife's Samsung Galaxy tab, running Supposed far better specs. Heck, it even gives my 950xl a good run. 2 cores V 8 cores, go figure!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Ariel Takom
Originally Posted by Timbre70

No software can be bug-free since day one, but for W10M, it is not acceptable since the amount of bugs that it had was way too much for a day-one release. Looking at other softwares like iOS or Android, yes, they do have bugs when they were first released. However, these bugs were not groundbreaking and number only a few.

But for what it's worth, W10M really have moved forward from those days. Even now on FR, the latest builds are so stable, I'm not even sure if I'm actually beta testing for Microsoft anymore. But then again, no major features had been added except for the Update thingy that came with the build released today.

I hazard a guess that now the core is 'better' than it was, and the overall stability of the previews on fast, new things will start to appear. Only snag with that is that it will invariably break something else. The UUP, and the data management settings could be the set up for the next stage to begin flighting. If 1st Q 2017 is RS2 release target, it's only 5 months, so expect things to pick up exponentially.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I do believe that Apple have full control over their specs, especially their own processors. Everyone else buys stuff in.

The latest Apple chips are pretty good performers. My iPad mini 3 absolutely hammers my wife's Samsung Galaxy tab

The performance advantages and superior efficiency (performance/watt) of Apple's mobile products ARE NOT (primarily) the result of Apple having full control over their CPU design. Most of the benefits are a direct result of the differences in the software technologies used to build iOS apps!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by a5cent
Originally Posted by Mad Cabbie

The latest Apple chips are pretty good performers. My iPad mini 3 absolutely hammers my wife's Samsung Galaxy tab

The performance advantages and superior efficiency (performance/watt) of Apple's mobile products ARE NOT (primarily) the result of Apple having full control over their CPU design. Most of the benefits are a direct result of the differences in the software technologies used to build iOS apps!

So, iOS is less hungry? Sure I read somewhere on here (could be wrong, usually am), that the Apple chip architecture was pretty much specific to the way in which iOS was set up, and by Apple overseeing the entire process from the chip to the hardware to ensure optimisation gave favourable results. I guess that's what you we're basically saying anyway? I've had a couple of iMac G5's in the past for DJing, and they always offered the most reliable and stable performance. As you state, it's probably the way the OS, or iOS is coded for optimisation.

Thanks Ascent! Long time no converse. ;-)

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't wait until I can go back to windows. I was forced to go back to Android cause I seriously needed a couple needed apps

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am really really happy with my 950 on Release Preview ring. The camera update last week is really really good. Battery drain is like 2,5% per hour and so it will easily take me through the day. I just flashed back to RS1 as RS2 was giving me battery drain. I like the phone, the OS, the apps and it makes me feel I get things done. The fact that it has "dark mode" is also really good, I can't stand the "flashlighty" screens of Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So, iOS is less hungry? Sure I read somewhere on here (could be wrong, usually am), that the Apple chip architecture was pretty much specific to the way in which iOS was set up, and by Apple overseeing the entire process from the chip to the hardware to ensure optimisation gave favourable results. I guess that's what you we're basically saying anyway? I've had a couple of iMac G5's in the past for DJing, and they always offered the most reliable and stable performance. As you state, it's probably the way the OS, or iOS is coded for optimisation.

Thanks Ascent! Long time no converse. ;-)

Well, the chip design is somewhat specific to iOS, but that probably doesn't mean what most people think it does. At it's most basic level it's still a standard ARM chip which is the same ISA everyone else in mobile is using. There is nothing specific about that.

At a higher level Apple has the freedom to combine SoC subsystems in ways that are best suited to their devices, e.g. if Apple designs a new phone where the pixel count of the display is doubled, then they can incorporate a GPU that completes raster operations exactly twice as fast while keeping the CPU as it is. This results in a user experience that is very consistent across devices (in terms of performance) despite the specs differing. It also makes it much easier for developers as they can ignore the performance impact that higher resolution displays otherwise have. In that way their SoCs are designed specifically for their devices, but none of that has anything to do with CPU efficiency. Apple does great work on that front too, but it's not any better than the great work Qualcomm does either. It's very much comparable.

What I'm referring to has almost nothing to do with software optimization however. It's about how the OSes are designed and what their developers decided was particularly important. Android and WP/WM both have run-time environments that sit between the hardware and the app. These environments provide runtime services for apps, like memory allocation and garbage collection, security monitoring, memory defragmentation, run-time type information and a whole host of other stuff. This makes it easier to program for Android and WP/WM and makes those developers more productive, but those services come at performance cost. iOS apps don't have that sort of run-time environment, so those apps run far more efficiently, but developers are required to do more work. Those run-time environments are also what allow Android and WP/WM apps to run on both Intel and ARM chips, whereas iOS apps are limited exclusively to ARM. That flexibility is nice, but it too comes at a performance cost. None of that has anything to do with optimization, but with different design priorities and goals.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I would agree that lately (overall in the past 3 or so months, maybe 6, whatever) that it has gotten better but recently i have had so many bugs. Over the past few days i have had reboots, fail to display keypad to unlock the phone, screen freezes, my 950 XL has been worse than its ever been even when i had 10586.0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte