WhatsApp Audio call bug causing black screen/dim screen

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have been having issues with my 950XL for last few months now.

Sometimes after waking up the phone, the display would remain blank for 5-6 seconds, but the iris scanner would turn on and unlock the phone after which the display would come back on, as if nothing happened. Sometimes it would work as usual, sometimes the display would remain painfully dim till you lock/unlock next. This problem would persist till you rebooted the phone.

Today I found out exactly what the problem was, WhatsApp Voice calls. The problem is easily reproducible.

Call someone on Whatsapp, hang up. Lock the screen, unlock it. At this point, the screen would refuse to turn on straight away. Reboot the phone, problem gone till next Whatapp voice call. I can reproduce this 100% of the time.

Unfortunately the problem exists with both Whatsapp and Whatsapp beta, both the latest release preview/production and fast ring builds, so there's no work around, other than to avoid WhatsApp voice calls.

Can other try this and chime in? I am more interested in whether this is a 950XL only problem or affects other phones, too.

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Same here, on my 950. Another bug I noticed with latest production WhatsApp is long delay after navigating back to the app (from Translator or another app). Screen is black for a few seconds, an eternity in 2016.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
mail this bug with clear description to the whats app team. They should know about it . :)

also have you tried taken any troubleshooting steps to solve this like reinstalling the app or doing a soft reset?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have mailed them.

Yes, I mentioned I went back and forth between different builds to solve this, factory resets, also between Whatsapp and Whatsapp beta, so yes.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I too experience these black screen bugs. Didn't think it was caused by WhatsApp. When WhatsApp decide it's time to update their app on W10M, let's hope they fix this bug with updated program coding.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they will ever update their app to W10M, which is a shame because the app's performance is horrible on W10M. Whatsapp is faaster/more fluid on my Lumia 920 on 8.1 than on my 950XL on W10M

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism