Would You Buy The Alcatel Idol 4S Over The Lumia 950?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The Idol 4s has a better processor, better front camera with front facing flash, finger print scanner, and more mp on the rear camera

The 950 has a better rear camera (ois), has nfc, iris scanner and has a sd 808 processor.

Would u go with the 820 processor over the 808? Or does the 950 offer more of what u want in a phone?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
They're both great, but I feel [personally] I would go for the 4S, it looks nice, has the right specs and is newer. Overall, just slightly better IMO

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I like both, but the camera not having OIS on the Idol4 would swing it in favour of the 950 for me... and that's what I own currently.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think the newest CPU & larger storage 'Trumps' (see what I did there?) the older 950. I have the 950, I personally don't feel as its aging well being a year old and a dead product. The 808 is a heat monster...I'd rather have the Idol 4S, and I will very soon.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
950, front facing flash sounds nice, but the rest of pros goes to the 950 overall

what we need is microsoft to "refresh" the lumias with SD820 821 and so on

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by EspHack
950, front facing flash sounds nice, but the rest of pros goes to the 950 overall

what we need is microsoft to "refresh" the lumias with SD820 821 and so on
that's not going to happen the Lumia line is dead.

And the lumias don't have all the advantages. The Idol looks better, has a better processor, and has way better speakers

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, Even if you compared to the XL the alcatel is the better buy. Ask yourself if the camera has to be so super amazing that you can show someone how your image looks a little better and have them say "you know what, it does look a little bit better". Then they bust out a nice game and play it with their super fast processor while your unit heats up and eats battery because the 808/810 chipsets were just not great SOCs.

The 950 series are great phones, but they came out at a time just before the better SOCs came out. The 820 is built on the 14nm finfet process vs. the 20 for the others. It's more efficient with battery and much more powerful.

If you want to get the best windows 10 performance, especially as it becomes more optimized, you probably want to go with the Alcatel. If you care more for camera and NFC(tap to pay) you should go for the lumia 950 .

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I love taking pictures all the time. From what I saw in Daniel's quick early review, I am not impressed with the camera. The 950 camera, though a year old can still keep up pace with the new big dogs. So no Idol 4S for me and not being factory unlocked is another knock against it. And T-mobile is notorious for abandoning WP devices - Lumia 810, HTC 8X, HTC One M8 Windows, Lumia 640 and I am sure there are a few more that I am forgetting.

Wpbass

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been pondering this very question ever since the Idol 4S was leaked and the Lumia 950 received its price drop down to $299. I've got a Lumia 1520 right now, and I'm dealing with the ghost-touches with the screen.

The Idol 4S ticks almost all of the checkboxes for me, and it looks like a fantastic device. However, with the updated info about it not being unlocked at launch and my pressing (get it??) need for a replacement phone, I think I'm going to go with a 950. If, in the future, the Idol 4S is available SIM unlocked or the Surface-Magic-Unicorn-Device-Running-Windows-10-Mobile-and-can-make-phone-calls launches, I'll be able to pay off the Lumia 950 even sooner.

Plus, I do want a smaller phone than the Lumia 1520. I know, I know...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Just be sure to get a Mozo wooden or leather back cover for the 950/950xl. Without it, it really feels cheap and nasty, but with one, it feels great and much more premium.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm a camera snob so no I wouldn't buy the 4s over the Lumia 950. Not a big gamer and my 950 has been solid for me, though admittedly a little slower than current flagships. But taking an extra half-second to load an app is a small price to pay for me.

My biggest worry is that the Pureview/Zeiss technology will have its last hurrah in the 950/XL and that future phones from MS will have run of the mill cameras.

The results I get with my 950 have no equal in the mobile phone world with the exception of my Lumia 1020. And I've tried others (Samsung, LG).

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
If I was about to buy a phone right now I'd probably get the Idol. Although the factory unlock is important. I don't know if the carriers in my country will sell it, so if I bought it from some website, it not being factory unlocked would pose a horrible problem.
If carriers in my country sell it, then it wouldn't be a problem because by law if you have already paid for it they have to unlock it for you if you ask. I had to do that with my 950 and all was well.

AdhamFarouk

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I can't connect to the Keyboard hot spot of my Alcatel plus 10.
It keeps telling me "incorrect password" despite I'm using the correct password (last 8 digits of the keyboard IMEI code as specified in the user manual) !!
Please help, Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss