Bugs that drive you crazy

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
[ MODS: this is special thread for only hyper annoying bugs, please don't merge :) ]

It seems like some WP bugs or ill thought out features stick around forever, and over time they can start driving you a little nutty. To the point where you start a thread just to vent! :D

As always: first report bugs on the Feedback app, but then come over to share your mega annoyance of the day

Today's infuriating bugs:
- in outlook, receive email with five pictures attached
- tap 'download all'
- tap first picture to view it
- swipe to see the next picture. Nothing..

How is this not basic functionality? Do they think their users prefer hitting 'back tap back tap back tap back tap' instead of 'swipe swipe swipe'? COME ON!!!! (it's driving me crazy)

____

Edit: adding other people's annoyances below

From @Timo47v: glance icons take a few seconds to show. Annoying!

From @myself :) "in Edge, you type or paste a site address. You hit enter and it looks like it's loading, but nothing appears. The page remains blank, the loading bar finishes, and the page address stays in the address bar. No error indication, just a blank page. Super annoying. At least tell me what went wrong!"

One more from me: Outlook errors that take up the full screen, and giving you some long-@ss error code without a link and without a description of what it means, and worst of all: without any indication which account is having the issue. Infuriating!

MS recently broke tap-to-pay in an Insider release. Sure we should expect bugs and glitches, but MS should work hard to avoid releasing builds in which an entire feature is broken.

Edited to add appropriate picture. Just kidding! :)

lumia.jpg

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Bonus annoyance: this week's Outlook update reset my swipe actions AGAIN!!! How is retaining preferences not a priority for MS?!

Timo47v

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
With the latest updates to either Outlook or the OS, the action center is no longer in sync with the app: new mails remain forever in the action center, long after they have been read or even deleted. I now have to manually clear them from the action center. Same thing with SMS messages.

Another annoyance is the Outlook live tile: if you read mails on another device, the unread message counter (that ugly black thing) just keeps going up with new mails received, but i never detracts the mails already read/deleted.

But my biggest annoyance is glance. Ever since Anniversary Update and Microsoft decided to rewrite what once written by Nokia it's been a total mess. First: the quick notifications show up with a delay. That means when I take the phone out of my pocket I always have to stare at it for 5 seconds to make sure there are no new notifications.
Second: the notifications for new email are unreliable, although I wonder if that's not simply caused by the similar problems with the live tiles I mentioned earlier.
Third: In what has become a Microsoft tradition: when they update something, they MUST remove something so that they can properly annoy the few users they have left. Case in point: the ability to turn glance of during night hours.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The sd card errors has to be the biggest one. Sometimes apps become unresponsive prompting u to soft reset the phone then it asks u to scan for errors which takes forever and never completes for me. Usually anytime I soft reset it gives a sd card error. Several times I've had the phone reset and all of my media (pictures videos mp3s) have been erased off my card, while documents, pdf, and rar files stayed

Infuriating....

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
one of the worst is when you see a bug or something, want to report it on feedback hub, but stop and think "wait that might crash the thing I'm currently using or the hub while trying to attatch screenshots" so you just forget about it, avoid the headache

oh and the feedback taking way too long to send, and you are afraid of going to another app because it probably thombstones the hub or prevents the feedback from being sent while in background and you run the risk of losing your feedback after acquiring the needed patience to do it and thinking you will not have enough to try a second time, and so on

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
one of the worst is when you see a bug or something, want to report it on feedback hub, but stop and think "wait that might crash the thing I'm currently using or the hub while trying to attatch screenshots" so you just forget about it, avoid the headache

oh and the feedback taking way too long to send, and you are afraid of going to another app because it probably thombstones the hub or prevents the feedback from being sent while in background and you run the risk of losing your feedback after acquiring the needed patience to do it and thinking you will not have enough to try a second time, and so on
Has that happened to you, that the FBH cashes your app? I haven't seen that. I do find it annoying that they don't allow you to send usability feedback without enabling diagnostics of more than the lowest level. Many of my thoughts on what could work better don't require diagnistic info to be shared.

I just remembered another infuriating bug that I thought they resolved: in Edge, you type or paste a site address. You hit enter and it looks like it's loading, but nothing appears. The page remains blank, the loading bar finishes, and the page address stays in the address bar. No error indication, just a blank page. Super annoying. At least tell me what went wrong!

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
1.) The sudden appearance of the clock on lock screen. You can test it by pressing the wake/standby button a few times. Or when I start the phone and enter my sim pin, the clock doesn't show at all until i standby-wake it.
2.) Sometimes in all apps list the icons need to load.
3.) If skype preview is set for sms, the syncing between notifications between skype, sms and notification center is sometimes off.
4.) Music Player controls sometimes suck with groove. Sometimes triggering the volume rocker doesn't show pause/play etc. and sometimes you hit play and the music doesn't start.
5.) The fact, that some MS Apps can be installed on SD card, but not updated on SD card.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Has that happened to you, that the FBH cashes your app? I haven't seen that. I do find it annoying that they don't allow you to send usability feedback without enabling diagnostics of more than the lowest level. Many of my thoughts on what could work better don't require diagnistic info to be shared.

I just remembered another infuriating bug that I thought they resolved: in Edge, you type or paste a site address. You hit enter and it looks like it's loading, but nothing appears. The page remains blank, the loading bar finishes, and the page address stays in the address bar. No error indication, just a blank page. Super annoying. At least tell me what went wrong!

yea that happens all the time when you go too fast, I mean like open edge and type and hit enter in a split second, it will do nothing

and yes feedback hub crashes, particularly when selecting screenshots, and that can crash whatever app was behind all that, like dominos going down, and lets be honest I'm just afraid of crashes all around the OS, I try to thread carefully or else the next thing crashing could be my phone into a wall lol

edit:

look at this here
wp_ss_20161113_0001.png

which one is more retarded? skype's tile showing an asterisk instead of a number, or weather's tile showing temperature in retarded measurement even though it is set to show proper measurement, and fixes itself after opening the app each time

na I think I'm the only retarded here for using a OS that no one cares about, but nvm I cant go anywhere else...

Last edited:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
na I think I'm the only retarded here for using a OS that no one cares about, but nvm I cant go anywhere else...

I know the feeling, I love (all) my WP (currently a L640 LTE) too much. I have a better than decent Android that gets almost 0 usage. Free USB tethering (FoxFi/PdaNet) for my Win Tab Updates and Store apps is the onliest reason I ever use it.

The SD Card errors **** me off. After this latest update, I have a few apps that cause a crash. I also noticed that if you power down while downloading from the Store, you're guaranteed to get the message. I stopped saying yes to the scan. I'll pop the SD in my PC occasionally when I've got the sim out to scan then.🙄

Facebook apps are getting worse. I am very jealous of Android's chat bubbles too. Messenger (BETA) is soooo slow to load. I stream a lot if shows through Edge, and sometimes after I need to pause to reply progress gets lost and the whole page will reload. Annoying!!! Quick reply to SMS in Action Center is great though. 😉

All that said, I'm still a WP optimist. The Surface Phone talk has me excited again!! But we all do have a quasi-masochistic relationship with these things. Could be worse though. We could be Sheeple or have those LagDroids. WP is still the best IMO.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Edge constantly reloading the page.

Facebook Beta closing spontaneously.

No internet access when connected to my home wi-fi network.

Disappearing keyboard.

Inability to save photos without viewing source image first.

No browsing music library from car's head unit with Groove. Xbox Music had it.

Sparkz7

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
This is a serious bug on my lumia 535. I'm latest build fast insider. Sometimes, when the phone has been idle for a while and I try to use it by pressing the power button to unlock it, I get A BLANK SCREEN! Nothing is shown and I have to force restart or soft reset to solve it. This has been on the previous build too. If it helps, I fresh installed the previous build. I don't see anyone reporting this issue at all.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a serious bug on my lumia 535. I'm latest build fast insider. Sometimes, when the phone has been idle for a while and I try to use it by pressing the power button to unlock it, I get A BLANK SCREEN! Nothing is shown and I have to force restart or soft reset to solve it. This has been on the previous build too. If it helps, I fresh installed the previous build. I don't see anyone reporting this issue at all.
That would definitely drive me crazy as well. It does seem like you're one of the few unlucky ones, I haven't read about that bug a lot.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder, this thread is not for collecting just any bugs you can find, but only for discussing bugs that repeatedly make you go "Damn it!!!".

So for example it could be either because they're really bad (you lose data, you miss a photo opportunity, you can't GPS navigate, etc), or little inconveniences that you keep running into so often that it drives you mad.

An example of the first is bluetooth breaking while in the car. This make it impossible to make hands-free calls until a reboot. Pretty bad.

An example of the second is a daily full-screen error message in Outlook, with no indication which account is causing the problem, or what the problem is. Seeing this over and over again with no hint of how to solve it also drives me nuts.

I guess the good news is that not too many people are going as crazy as I am. Good job Microsoft! :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My outlook calendar live tile not updating! What gives!? I have to resize the tile or open the app to get it up to date.
That's right, I've seen tons of complaints about this. I think this is only in insider builds though, right? Which device and which build do you have?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb