W10 Mobile x86 .exe Emulator

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that on mobile MS is going to virtualize the environment when in continuum. It shouldn't allow non UWP apps to run while in mobile mode. Of course both the phone and continuum device need to function separately. This is going to need a decent amount of memory.

Why so complicated and restricting? Just think about how Windows 8.1 was doing it. The desktop essentially was looking like an WinRT/UWP app. You could use it on your mobile device or when a monitor was connected, assign it to the monitor as second screen. No virtualization necessary whatsoever.
Microsoft already made a big step backwards with Window 10 "tablet mode".

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Any developments on this at all? The Emulation and Windows running on ARM? Will spend today investigating if there is any further developments.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Official: Snapdragon 835 Win32 app support on Windows 10 Mobile

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10948/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-kryo-280-adreno-540

New ultra-portable cellular PC devices with full Windows 10 support.
This includes both Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, which run natively, and legacy x86 (32-bit) Win32 apps, which use software emulation. These new PC devices should also support any peripherals already supported by Windows 10 and eSIM support for cellular connectivity.
I somehow forgot that last part for a while. Full support for PC compatible peripherals would be amazing. I have about twenty older music recording gadgets spread around the house that would go well with my new 'cellular PC'. OK, I think I'm finally excited again for the Surface Phone.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I somehow forgot that last part for a while. Full support for PC compatible peripherals would be amazing. I have about twenty older music recording gadgets spread around the house that would go well with my new 'cellular PC'.

If you haven't already then check if they're working on your current W10M device, if you have one. I just plugged in an expensive digital-analog converter into my continuum dock using USB and it was instantly recognized and my phone automatically output audio to it!

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Official: Snapdragon 835 Win32 app support on Windows 10 Mobile

Qualcomm Details Snapdragon 835: Kryo 280 CPU, Adreno 540 GPU, X16 LTE

New ultra-portable cellular PC devices with full Windows 10 support.
This includes both Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, which run natively, and legacy x86 (32-bit) Win32 apps, which use software emulation. These new PC devices should also support any peripherals already supported by Windows 10 and eSIM support for cellular connectivity.

Looks very exciting I think. When I read the specs yesterday it kind'a boggled my mind. I'm doing content creation for broadcast, and I sometimes do it at home on my aging AMD Phenom Windows 7 computer. This new 835 is actually very close in terms of cores/GHz, plus it obviously adds a tremendous amount of other features, all in a package that consumes far less energy than my machine in a fraction of the space. Pretty amazing what we get for money these days.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Something crossed my mind whilst reading about the latest snippets of information we have had recently, could be a long shot but I wonder if file Emulation could be done via a cloud setup?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. Another great article by Jason, who has the ability to explain things in layman's terms and help people understand better what MS has in store. We have to stop thinking things will continue the way they currently are forever.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Its an interesting article and thought provoking, what crossed my mind was whether MS simply cant get the form factor small enough (like a mobile phone) so they are calling it a mobile computer which would be slightly bigger, also the app issue was touched upon and the usefulness of win32 programs on a small screen,
It kinda odd the whole thing has gone quiet (except this new report) and the Emulation and its ability still remains an unknown as such. :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Its an interesting article and thought provoking, what crossed my mind was whether MS simply cant get the form factor small enough (like a mobile phone) so they are calling it a mobile computer which would be slightly bigger, also the app issue was touched upon and the usefulness of win32 programs on a small screen,
It kinda odd the whole thing has gone quiet (except this new report) and the Emulation and its ability still remains an unknown as such. :)

I don't pretend to have the knowledge to understand all this, but I do kind of get what they're attempting to do and find it interesting. What it will look like in the end is still a mystery. I believe it will still have basic "mobile phone" function but also be able to dock and do more powerful PC things which would make you be able to carry around your complete set of work/files/music/etc anywhere you go. IDK, I'm happy enough with my current setup to hang around and see how it turns out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody here ever used Remote Desktop? If you have, you know what x86 on a 5" screen looks like. Windows on ARM sounds fantastic but unless they find a way to scale the UI properly, it’s really a waste for anything under 8" and there are some decent tablets running Windows 10 right now in that size. Telephony? Who here wants to hold a Venue 8 to their head to make a phone call?

I say they push the dogcrap out of Continuum and put LTE data connectivity in all small tablets. If you MUST make a phone call, use Viber, Skype or Whatsapp.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand.

It seems as if you're saying it would be better to push Continuum on Windows 10 Mobile and skip Windows on ARM because nobody wants to run windows desktop apps on a 5" screen, but that's just a false dichotomy. If we're willing to use a W10M phone using continuum it stands to reason we're using the phone with a larger screen + keyboard / mouse. Ok, so at that point, at the point you're using the Continuum that was "pushed the dogcrap out of" with a large screen, keyboard and mouse, you've just made exactly the case for Windows 10 ("full") on a phone anyway!

Because again, as has been pointed out repeatedly, once you're carrying what is effectively a Windows PC in your palm, with a 5" screen, why would you NOT want to be able to run those larger apps when connected to the very same devices you'd connect to using Continuum???

I just think people continuously fail to understand that a Windows 10 running on ARM would give us all the options currently available as far as form factors are concerned. We're NOT limited to full W10 software on a 5" screen, and we're NOT limited to W10M apps using Continuum. We'd be able to run both scaling UWP apps on smaller AND larger screens, and we can then choose to NOT run full apps on smaller screens and instead reserve that for when we hook up to a larger one....

I mean... am I missing something here or?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand.

It seems as if you're saying it would be better to push Continuum on Windows 10 Mobile and skip Windows on ARM because nobody wants to run windows desktop apps on a 5" screen, but that's just a false dichotomy. If we're willing to use a W10M phone using continuum it stands to reason we're using the phone with a larger screen + keyboard / mouse. Ok, so at that point, at the point you're using the Continuum that was "pushed the dogcrap out of" with a large screen, keyboard and mouse, you've just made exactly the case for Windows 10 ("full") on a phone anyway!

Because again, as has been pointed out repeatedly, once you're carrying what is effectively a Windows PC in your palm, with a 5" screen, why would you NOT want to be able to run those larger apps when connected to the very same devices you'd connect to using Continuum???

I just think people continuously fail to understand that a Windows 10 running on ARM would give us all the options currently available as far as form factors are concerned. We're NOT limited to full W10 software on a 5" screen, and we're NOT limited to W10M apps using Continuum. We'd be able to run both scaling UWP apps on smaller AND larger screens, and we can then choose to NOT run full apps on smaller screens and instead reserve that for when we hook up to a larger one....

Full Windows on a 5" screen is a non-starter. It’s barely usable on a 8" screen. As I said, unless they can scale the UI, I'd much rather have a better Continuum experience. Unless we go back to resistive screens and a stylus, Windows icons are too small for phone-sized displays. I'm not sure what your confusion is.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Has anybody here ever used Remote Desktop? If you have, you know what x86 on a 5" screen looks like.
Yes I have experience with this and its a pain in the rear end, not to mention laggy and frustrating, its not too good but a handy tool, I just cant see this PC on a 5 or 6 inch screen working well. I hope it does work well though.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand.

This.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Full Windows on a 5" screen is a non-starter.
I think the argument is that full Windows on a 5" screen would not have to look any different than WP10 does. Just don't run x86 apps while you're in phone mode. But once you connect to a dock it would be awesome if full windowing, multitasking, and x86 apps were all available.

That said, I'm already mentally preparing for places like The Verge ignoring this utility and focusing their review on ridiculing the traditional Windows UI on a small screen. See, the Surface Phone doesn't even exist yet, and I'm already upset with the bad reviews! :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Only very loosely related: the latest Samsung Galaxy S8 leaks show that Android will soon also offer docking to an external screen and Windowing support.

Positive take: that means more docking stations out there in the world. Negative take: MS is getting ready to have their lunch eaten by Android yet again. :)

Yes I do realize Android doesn't run Windows x86 code

nexus2cee_tw_img_launcher_flow_dock.png

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the argument is that full Windows on a 5" screen would not have to look any different than WP10 does. Just don't run x86 apps while you're in phone mode. But once you connect to a dock it would be awesome if full windowing, multitasking, and x86 apps were all available.

That said, I'm already mentally preparing for places like The Verge ignoring this utility and focusing their review on ridiculing the traditional Windows UI on a small screen. See, the Surface Phone doesn't even exist yet, and I'm already upset with the bad reviews! :)
I sincerely hope that's what they end up doing. But everything I've read shows a pocket PC with telephony. The Surface Phone has been conjured up by readers desperate for a killer Microsoft phone. To make matters worse they used the x3 as a mule in the video for the SD835 and x3 owners think their devices are going to be able to do this. I hope I'm wrong on this but I'm seeing something different than the rest.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But everything I've read shows a pocket PC with telephony.
We must be reading very different articles, because everything I've read (from anyone who can be taken seriously) suggests otherwise. At this point I'd be stunned if it'd be even technically possible to see a desktop of any kind (either the Win32 desktop or the UWP desktop) on a 5" display. IMO at 5" W10oA's UI will be identical to W10M's and you'll only be able to run UWP apps that support phone sized UIs.

IMO you'll never even see the desktop without using a larger display. Period.

Of course, if your phone comes with a foldable display, unfolding it two or three times would result in a sufficiently large display. 😉

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb