Should i buy Lumia 950 XL or HP Elite ? Or Move to IOS or Android phone

Ashish Negi1

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi , I am Nokia / Microsoft user from lifetime .

I had Nokia 66,00 , 6303 , 6303 I , Lumia 710 , 720 and now 730 .

I am looking to upgrade to new phone .I am facing big dilemma that should i stick to windows phone or should i move on ?

With uncertainty on Windows phone many friends suggested to move towards IOS .

Please give your valuable feedback

akosifaith

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
If you love windows phone and it suit your needs you should stay with the platform, if not then move on to what ever you like best...i have a 950xl and I super love it :) can't say much about the HP elite other than it looks good...being a user of WP ever since I can't see myself leaving the platform ^_^ though I have an android tablet for gaming purposes because I do like playing games which WP sadly lacks

Ashish Negi1

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi Laura Knotek , yes i like my windows phone and suits my need .

My main worry is OS development and apps updates because its seems like MS is losing interest in Mobile .

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The odd thing being that I can't remember a time period where we've received more OS updates than we've been getting recently for Windows Phone - especially if you are in the preview program.

They have no intentions on dropping support in the near future as is indicated by their very regular OS updates.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site

I too have been using Windows phone since Windows Mobile and moving on to 8.1 and then Windows 10 Mobile. I switched to an IPhone 4 and used it for 2 years when Microsoft was sorting out their move from Windows Mobile 7.x to 8.1. I also tried recently to go to Android with a Samsung S4 running lollipop and that lasted only about 4 months before I moved back to Windows 10 Mobile.

Since you are a lifetime Windows phone user, you need to consider the following if you want to move to iOS. Personally I cannot get used to the Apple ecosystem for the following reasons:

1) iOS has a totally different file structure which means that moving files to and from phones and sharing files between different apps require a totally different approach. You cannot just drag or copy files using the file explorer. Each apps has it own sandbox and keep the files for that app in that sandbox. So, apps do not normally have access to files of other apps. Sharing and moving of files from phones to PCs/Macs are normally done using iTunes, iCloud or emails.

2) if you have lots of music or videos on your phone, then moving them to iOS may not be that straightforward because iOS don't support a lot of audio and video format. For music, you will need to convert your files to AAC and for video to H.264 format. These are high quality audio and video format but may not be what we have on our Windows phone.

3) As mentioned, iTunes is the foundation of iOS for managing your music, movies, photos and apps. It is a stable and mature software but I cannot get used to it. While many people found iTunes easy, I personally prefer the simplicity of Windows' file explorer with the ability to plug in multiple devices into my PCs and move files around easily. iTunes is too cumbersome for me.

4) iPhones are very simple to use but it also means that you cannot really customize how you want the screen to look like. You do not have live tiles or widgets or home screen. What you have though is rows of apps that you can move around. I much prefer the ability to customize how I like my phone to look like.

5) iPhones do not support all the normal things that we are used to such as SD cards, usb, headphone jack, and removable battery. Some of these may be important to you. On an iPhone, you rely on internal memory, uses lightning port for charging and headphone (assuming you are getting the new iPhone 7). You also do not have many iPhone models to choose from, basically just the one model with different size screen that remained unchanged over the last few years.

Because of the above, I do not see myself being able to get used to iOS. Android phones are much closer to our Windows phone in operation and customization, but I still prefer Windows.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Laura Knotek , yes i like my windows phone and suits my need .

My main worry is OS development and apps updates because its seems like MS is losing interest in Mobile .

but are you using 8.1 or 10? if 8.1 then try 10 first and make up your mind, if you still like it then get a 950, x3 is too overpriced unless you NEED its unique features, the new alcatel one is a VERY compelling offer too

yes support is fine, we are getting more updates than any other competing OS, but this is also a very different OS compared to good'ol wp7-8, there was no real need for minor updates to wp7-8 after release, those were refined beyond perfection in comparison to 2016's OS'

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This all depends on your wants and needs. I am one of the biggest defenders of Windows Phone but I was all but forced to go to another OS because all Verizon wanted to carry was the Lumia 735. I need flagships and my work pays for my personal/business use, so can't move off of Verizon. But about that time, I did see the writing on the wall for Windows Phone. It is truly in limbo and don't know what will become of it. Sure, it still works but app/feature selection is starting to dwindle and some apps aren't updated anymore.So examine your wants and needs. I decided on Android and I'm currently in a Pixel XL. I had a Note 7 and LOVED it but 'nuff said about that. I like Android because it is "geekier" and a little more open than iPhone (yes, you need iTunes for any kind of connection to your PC). I get robust file system access on my Android phone when connected via USB and with the Pixel (even on Verizon), you will get regular Android updates for at least 2 years.

Last edited:

KrakenGt1

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi OP,

For starters, anyone who tells you that the Elite X3 has more features than the Lumia 950xl, are lying to you. Now I'm happy to see no one here has really lied about that.

If you value features like Glance, an access to an equalizer (this is important for audiophiles), or if you prefer having a stout camera in day or night conditions, and NFC tap to pay, the Lumia 950xl is the superior phone.

However, the elite x3 has a fingerprint scanner, and better battery life by a long shot, and also delivers a "seems faster" experience (it's really not that noticeable).

Some other notes to consider:

Hp doesn't get as hot as the Lumia.
Hp has a thinner design, and is easier to hold despite the bigger screen.
Again, battery life for the Hp is superior.
If you like high quality pictures, the Hp will disappoint you.

To me, and many others, although they will debate the heck out of this, a $450 phone vs an $800, the Lumia 950XL puts a beating on the HP.

There is another phone similiar to the elite x3. Alcatel idol 4s for Windows 10. It offers a very similar package to the elite x3, but at a far more reasonable and respectable price. Ike $450? Google it. Slightly smaller than the x3, but offers virtually the same level of features. Buyer preference if price isn't a concern...

Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Jump ship but don't waste big money on IOS, android got good spec phones too. Seeing that you got into WP by default wait for Nokia D1C coming out sooner or later.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I think, I know, where you are. I was at the same point. I disregarded Android after some time due to security concerns. Frankly, Android is a frickin' mess in rergards of security. As a professional in the field, that is not an option to me. There is one option (the Blackberry DTEK devices with Android), but they do not suit my needs. Also, the pure business model of Google (me being the items traded)is apalling to me. I would rather pay for it in money, not in data or habits.

I was thinking HARD into the direction of iOS. Being responsible for the management of hundreds of iOS devices at work and also owning several iPads, I am familiar with iOS and I appreciate especially my ipads. But in the end, it is not where my heart is. I find iOS boring, despite offering a great and complete expierence, especially with an apple watch.

In the end, I opted for an Elite X3 to replace my Lumia 9590XL. Windows still is, where my heart lies. I like the new Microsoft and I love being an insider on the fast ring. So far, I am happy with it. The device is great and I agree with KrakenGT1s assessment. It is such a pitty, that the camera hardware is not better than it is. If I had a wishlist, I would go for the 950's camera and the dedicated button as an addition. Besides that, it is great for me.

If you are really passionate about Windows on your mobile, I would stick with it. If you do not really care and can spare the money, I would go with iOS. Also, reselling value is a *lot* better here than anywhere else. Android is not an option for me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I had Nokia 66,00 , 6303 , 6303 I , Lumia 710 , 720 and now 730 .

I am looking to upgrade to new phone .I am facing big dilemma that should i stick to windows phone or should i move on ?

Keep in mind that the HP does not have NFC and some other features (there was a few other things, that I forget)you expect on a consumer phone. If you want to use tap to pay or any of those feautres, you want to get the 950.

Also, if cost is a factor, there is not deals on it, it's $700+, as you can get a 950XL for cheaper.

Of course, as Windows Phone user, if your sick of the app gap, or lack of devices like smartwatches (once you have one, you'll wonder how you lived with out one), then look over iOS or Android devices and make your choice. WP is a better layout and smoother (Android and iOS)but, no major support from Microsoft on it so it has it's limits..

I have 3 phones, iOS (iPhone 6s), Android (LG G4) and a Nokia ICON (Verizon offers crap for WP right now)

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Been using Windows Mobile/Phone my entire life up until the purchase of my HTC 10 just a few days ago.

What I will say is this, I switched when Google's apps became a necessity for school. What I didn't realize until I had the phone in hand however, was that I no longer had to fear my apps not being supported on my device. For the first time I could actually use banking and parking apps that I previously didn't have access to. I'm actually able to use a (not broken) Tapatalk app to type this.

I wish all of these things were available on W10M because IMO that UX is second to none, but it is not a bad trade off to have. It's just up to you to decide when the app gap outweighs the need to stay in Microsoft's ecosystem.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Been using Windows Mobile/Phone my entire life up until the purchase of my HTC 10 just a few days ago.What I will say is this, I switched when Google's apps became a necessity for school. What I didn't realize until I had the phone in hand however, was that I no longer had to fear my apps not being supported on my device. For the first time I could actually use banking and parking apps that I previously didn't have access to. I'm actually able to use a (not broken) Tapatalk app to type this. I wish all of these things were available on W10M because IMO that UX is second to none, but it is not a bad trade off to have. It's just up to you to decide when the app gap outweighs the need to stay in Microsoft's ecosystem.
Very well said. I also prefer the Windows "Mobile" OS but I just can't use it as a daily driver anymore.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If you are happy with WM then I'd say to get the 950xl. With the current discounts it's a steal. Not sure why you think the commitment to WM is lacking. The OS is constantly being updated. I have the 950xl and love it. Get a Mozo back and enjoy. I have a brown leather one and a zebrawood one. I swap them depending on my mood for the day. I know the phone is about a year old but it is still awesome.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Seriously I think a big change in the landscape is really brewing in 2017 and if you have a working phone you might want to see how 2017 begins to shape up. For IOS there really needs to be OLED screens. And with the touch disease issue on the 6S plus I think the 7 should get a "wait and see" for a bit. The Note 7 is out of the question and the Pixel starts bringing Android into the "proprietary" arena making them much more like Apple. Again, I want to see what they do there over time. 2 years of updates isn't all that long. Apple beats that and the prices aren't all that different. If you wait you'll get to see the iPhone 8, vs the S8/Note8, and HP and MS versions of 835 chipset phones.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well didn't think I'd say this but apps are becoming a real big deal with WP10 so obviously that will/should be a major consideration. Sure there are ways around that, need dependant of course, but from my experience its like moving BACK in time rather than towards the future.

Then you got the instability, inconsistency and uncertainty of the platform to consider, can it keep pace for YOUR needs 6-12 month from now or will it slowing deteriorate further from what it already is?

For me, find it hard seeing where WP can be considered a "daily use" candidate unless you are will to accept concession, and from my experience it's way more than one or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster