VPN, whats the point?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I understand what a vpn is and that it gives you anonymous web connection, why do people choose to use this if your not doing anything too naughty ? You have the incognito option via the browser, is this not enough?
Please don't think I am having a dig at those who do use it, but could you detail to me why you use it, last time I trialled a vpn (cyberghost) I found it slowed down my browser.
Also I know you can bypass some countries limitations on web use using a vpn, is this the main reason for use?
Thankyou in advance.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you've mostly answered your own question.
I've used a paid service VPN in the past to deadend my IP so people couldn't see my location when using a desktop computer.

No longer using any VPN here however.

Brandon Hobart

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I understand what a vpn is and that it gives you anonymous web connection, why do people choose to use this if your not doing anything too naughty ? You have the incognito option via the browser, is this not enough?
Please don't think I am having a dig at those who do use it, but could you detail to me why you use it, last time I trialled a vpn (cyberghost) I found it slowed down my browser.
Also I know you can bypass some countries limitations on web use using a vpn, is this the main reason for use?
Thankyou in advance.

Well, the incognito mode is the private browsing mode which never stores any history, cookies, form data – or anything else but your IP always remains the same. No encryption is provided and hence you can be tracked anytime with your location information. So, the idea of using incognito to be anonymous is ruled out in this case...
CyberGhost VPN is a free VPN. So, using a free VPN, you will always encounter speed issues as the servers are limited and the connected users just flood up the servers causing lag and latency (speed issues). So, CyberGhost is also not a good idea.
Now, VPNs are not just used to bypass or to browse naughty stuff. It is a protection tool that is used to make your personal information private, hide your location by spoofing your IP, encrypting whatever you do online to remain safe from the cyber-criminals and hackers... A VPN enables you safe torrenting, lag-free gaming, buffer-less streaming, fast browsing, secure online transactions and many more.
So, don't get confused with it's use. Just google some good VPN services and read their reviews. There are many VPN providers that provide dedicated apps for Windows. I am using one of them... https://www.vpnanalysis.com/5-best-vpns-for-windows/
You can discover other VPN that works pretty good on Windows without slowing down the speed at a significant extent.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Personally, when I travel in some countries where I don't trust the ISPs, or want to send some business emails etc., I use a VPN, with a server in France or Germany for instance. Private browsing is nice, but VPN will tunnel ALL your traffic, including emails, through it.

As for the "if you do nothing naughty" part, "Being against privacy because you have nothing to hide is a bit like being against freedom of speech because you have nothing to say" (Snowden) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa