Skype and SMS Relay

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Can we have a discussion about MS's strategy with this?The version of SMS relay they had a few versions back where it worked through the Win10 Messaging apps on PC and Mobile worked REALLY well. When they had Skype integrated into the Messaging app a while back, it also worked pretty well. The current implementation...not so great (imo, of course). The Skype beta we have on Mobile is actually pretty good, but it's pretty ugly to me, and lacks a lot of the SMS features of the built-in messaging app. I don't like that I HAVE to use that app in order to get SMS relay going. They said they made the switch because they felt this would be a better user experience, but my experience hasn't been better at all. Is this to ensure better compatibility with Android and iOS? Why not use this strategy IN ADDITION to letting Win10 Mobile users choose to use the built-in Messaging app for this? Why does it have to be one or the other?What have your experiences been like using this? Is there anyone that has actually had a better experience with this implementation compared to the previous one?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You actually can use both apps on the mobile side. The setting only affects the default one (the one you get notifications from). You can still send and receive messages in both apps, and they both back up the same way.

I agree that the Skype app needs more work, it's gotten really good (especially in such a short amount of time, it's been improving rapidly) but it still doesn't feel fully polished. #1 request for me would be merging contacts in the Skype app (even if merged in People app, they show separate in Skype). I'd also like to see the UI cleaned up, the left pane isn't always needed on screen (and less blue.. I want my chosen colours to show through).

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
What id like on skype preview like it's desktop version is the ability to share screen and have the little window above when I'm multitasking. Which the preview don't have :( granted the preview came a long way. Though I still wish we had the messages every where feature they took out. That was awesome. I don't like relying on skype preview on desktop. When I feel the skype program on desktop is better in functions.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just a bit irritated at this move because I like having the ability to reply to texts on my Surface, but I'd prefer to keep my Skype messages separate from my SMS messages. There's a better way to implement this feature, and we had it for a while, but now it's gone in favor of an inferior method. I get that you can still use the Messaging app on mobile, but like you said, notifications will come from Skype, meaning if I want to view a message from the action center, it'll take me to Skype. I don't typically like to complain, but this one has got me bothered.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of starting a thread "Everything you always wanted to know about texting on WP10 but were afraid to ask ..."

At this point I'm kind of lost, I honestly don't understand what the heck they're doing with Skype and messaging. They might even have had more messaging reboots than mobile OS reboots, and that's saying something.

My most pressing question: if you switch to Skype for handling SMS, will WP10 still dutifully back up and restore all texts? Is there a Microsoft page where I can read how this is supposed to work?

I'm also not smart enough to figure our whether my Skype status is always automatically showing me online now that it's on my phone or whether I first need to launch Skype after a reboot and leave it in the task switcher. I don't recall the app ever telling me anything about this.

IMO it would actually make a lot of sense to have a 'Skype' button in the action center (just like the Wifi toggle etc) where we can easily see the online status, and easily toggle between offline and online. Long press would open the app. Makes sense if Skype is to be fully integrated into the OS.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
At this point I'm kind of lost, I honestly don't understand what the heck they're doing with Skype and messaging. They might even have had more messaging reboots than mobile OS reboots, and that's saying something.
Apparently Skype is going to become the default messaging app for Windows 10 (the standard Messaging app remaining only for non-Skype users). It's similar to how Apple does iMessage, where it will send messages over Apple's network for other Apple users, and for other users it will fall back to SMS. Not a bad plan if they manage to get it working well (and don't force it, like Apple did at one point).

My most pressing question: if you switch to Skype for handling SMS, will WP10 still dutifully back up and restore all texts? Is there a Microsoft page where I can read how this is supposed to work?
Yes. They actually seem to use the same backups. Also, you don't lose the default Messaging app, it still keeps working exactly the same way (only its notifications are turned off).

I'm also not smart enough to figure our whether my Skype status is always automatically showing me online now that it's on my phone or whether I first need to launch Skype after a reboot and leave it in the task switcher. I don't recall the app ever telling me anything about this.
I believe you will always show as Online as long as the device is on, and you've set up the Skype app (unless you've manually signed out/Invisible status). The app doesn't need to be running, it uses a separate background task, which is always running (unless disabled in Background Apps settings).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apparently Skype is going to become the default messaging app for Windows 10 (the standard Messaging app remaining only for non-Skype users). It's similar to how Apple does iMessage, where it will send messages over Apple's network for other Apple users, and for other users it will fall back to SMS. Not a bad plan if they manage to get it working well (and don't force it, like Apple did at one point).
That's what I always imagined, but boy are they taking their sweet time! Thanks for all the answers, did you find out the backup business through trial and error (or maybe no error) or was there an announcement of this at some point? As for the online status, given that we have live tiles, it would make a lot of sense if the live tile could show the live status.. Anyway, thanks again, I might even give this a shot!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope we can set our status as I don't want to always be showing as online.

Also hopefully a filter comes to show only sms or show only skype, or show both... right where the the filter for All and Unread is

Overall though, I'm liking how this new skype uwp app is heading... Already much better than the old app.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue with Skype when I open Skype I see my calls with my wife but not our SMS messages conversations.

I have my wife set-up as a contact that has her Skype name linked to another contact that I have added her e-mail address and phone number to.

When I open Skype from the timeline of my wife's people tile I see both the SMS and Skype interactions.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I fixed my issue by removing all the different MSN contacts I had for my wife and merging them into one contact.

I then linked this contact with her Skype contact.

I can now see all our communication in Skype.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone c else still use the Timeline for Contacts in the People App.

I would like to have the ability to jump from there straight into replying to a message as well as using the notification centre.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd use timeline more if more things can show up there like WhatsApp, client for hangouts.... But I guess that's up to the developers? Or is it even an option to put 3rd party feed there?

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
We need a transparent lve tile and a proper badge for the number of unread messages.

A * is not great when you are using a small tile or have it in a small folder.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I upvoted some feedback in the hub asking for a transparent tile, and there was a response saying that it would be coming soon in an upcoming update. I'm assuming the notification badge will get fixed soon too since that's pretty basic.

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
My biggest want is for the message app to sync back and forth between my devices.
Today for the first time its working sending/ receiving messages between Skype Preview as well as the stock app immediately.
Laptop on latest Insider with mobile on release.
What happened?

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
If you haven't watched the October event the held at the end of October, you should watch the presentation mid-way through where the lady is talking about the communications aspect of the Creator release. I'm not so sure this Skype thing is going to be the long term solution. Assuming the demo she showed held true, I'd think we're getting a different interface when this comes along.

I'm interested to see how it really functions when they open it to the fast ring.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't watched the October event the held at the end of October, you should watch the presentation mid-way through where the lady is talking about the communications aspect of the Creator release. I'm not so sure this Skype thing is going to be the long term solution. Assuming the demo she showed held true, I'd think we're getting a different interface when this comes along.

I'm interested to see how it really functions when they open it to the fast ring.

From what I remember, it looked like Skype (and other apps, like Outlook) would integrate into the OS (new sharing UI to replace the Win8 one, and people bar). Seems like SMS and Skype (might need to verify, but I'm remembering this for some reason) were both handled through the Skype app, just integrated into the shell instead of a separate window (like how Cortana works on desktop vs. mobile). Same app, just a different frame around it.

Either way, it seems like the idea is "people first" rather than "app/service first". I'm personally really glad about this. WP7 (and also Palm/HP webOS) really got this idea right, and it seems like MS is returning to it. You don't use the computer to send an SMS/email, you use the computer to get in contact with a person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes