WP10 - does it make sense to buy phone with it? How the future of this OS will look like?

vicar1

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I have Lumia 920 and I am user of WP 8.1 I'm quite ok with this system. However I need to buy new phone. I really don't like Android and I don't want to buy iPhone. But does it make sense to buy phone with WP 10? How does Microsoft see future of this system? Only MS statements that I see in the Web are like "mobile phones are very important to us, bla bla bla" but no actions or facts, just some rumours about Surphace Phone. In some places I can see that MS describes WP10 as "best choice for business". But are they gonna focus on non business users as well?

I don't wanna end up with system that will die soon, that no one will be creating apps on it, and that MS will not be developing and improving it. Does MS has any plan for it to regain that part of market that WP8.1 had? Does it make sense to buy phone with WP10? Are there any chances that this platform will be evolving, there will be better apps for facebook, twitter, instagram, not crashing e-mail etc?

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have Lumia 920 and I am user of WP 8.1 I'm quite ok with this system. However I need to buy new phone. I really don't like Android and I don't want to buy iPhone. But does it make sense to buy phone with WP 10? How does Microsoft see future of this system? Only MS statements that I see in the Web are like "mobile phones are very important to us, bla bla bla" but no actions or facts, just some rumours about Surphace Phone. In some places I can see that MS describes WP10 as "best choice for business". But are they gonna focus on non business users as well?

I don't wanna end up with system that will die soon, that no one will be creating apps on it, and that MS will not be developing and improving it. Does MS has any plan for it to regain that part of market that WP8.1 had? Does it make sense to buy phone with WP10? Are there any chances that this platform will be evolving, there will be better apps for facebook, twitter, instagram, not crashing e-mail etc?
It all depends on if it fits your needs. You must realize that Win 10 consumer mobile has zero support from most major apps out there. MLB At Bat, NHL, Snapchat to name just a few. VPN doesn't have third party support. I went to Android earlier in the year and kept a Lumia 620 for an MP3 player and a test win 10 phone. Again, it's a dieing platform for consumers. I personally would not recommend a Windows Phone to anyone of my friends.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But does it make sense to buy phone with WP 10?
If you can find a cheap phone you like and you have all the apps you want, why not. But the truth is that MS' stance is not helping, and apps are indeed disappearing. The OS is still pretty great though.

I personally would not recommend a Windows Phone to anyone of my friends.
Exactly, this thread might be of interest to the OP. Warning: it looks pretty grim!

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you're still with Windows Phone 8.1 then you will find that Windows 10 Mobile to be natural evolution of the OS.

Though I may agree that iOS and Android are better in certain aspects, especially with Apps and Games (This is to be expected), it does not change the fact that many here, like me are Windows fans. Being a fan does not have to make sense.

If you're in the US, then the Alcatel Idol 4S is the phone you should be setting your sights on, If not then the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL is your next bet (especially if your a camera hound)

Windows 10 Mobile has plenty of new apps that were specifically "Built for Windows 10" so as a Windows 8 user, you're already missing out on a lot.

In the end, your choice.

Piyush Sharma1

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Currently it seems to be a wait and watch. Apart from HP Elite X3, there seems nothing to talk about. Surface phone seems to be the only hope so far. Alcatel idol 4S failed to impress the reviewers, though I've not checked myself (not available in my country so far). I personally switched to Andriod (Very hard decision, and also disappointed to not find things that I could do on my Lumia 720), hoping to switch back if we have something to bank on.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm planning on sticking with it, though having a 8 month old 950 makes the decision easier. I've spent the last month trying out a nexus 5x and really don't like how it works - I certainly take issue with Google reserving the right to get any location data even without me wanting to hand it over (doesn't matter that it's anonymous, you can't fully disable location tracking). I tried a few apps not available on my 950 but can't say that they made life any easier, the app from my bank wasn't that nice and MIA apps on windows phone didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm certainly going to stick with my 950 through to at least the end of 2017 before considering a switch

Last edited:

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I use a Lumia 640, switched to Android on a Sumsung Galaxy S4. After four months, I switched back to the Lumia.

I found that I still very much prefer the way Windows 10 mobile works:

- the live tiles,
- the ability to search for apps in the apps list,
- the way it looks like my desktop and Surface Pro running Windows 10,
- the lag free Outlook,
- seamless integration with OneDrive, OneNote and Office,
- ability to customize home screen,
- frequent system updates,
- tight security and privacy,
- glance screen,
- double tap to wake and double tap to sleep.

I don't miss any apps. For banking, I pin mobile web page to start, which I hardly use anyway. During the four months I was on Android, I did download various apps such as banking, travel, games, but found that I hardly, if ever use them.

I believe that MS will continue to develop Windows 10 mobile. They clearly believe that it is important to have a cellular operating system on the ARM chip. They will not abandon Windows 10 mobile because they do not want to put all their bet on x64 chips. As long as the apps you need are available, I believe it is fine to stay on Windows 10 mobile.

Last edited:

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a 1520 with W10 and I'm very satisfied, the performance is very good for such an old device and it does everything that I want it to. But if you are desperate to get all the missing apps then you should probably just switch platforms.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I use a Lumia 640, switched to Android on a Sumsung Galaxy S4. After four months, I switched back to the Lumia. I found that I still very much prefer the way Windows 10 mobile works, the live tiles, the ability to search for apps in the apps list, the way it looks like my desktop and Surface Pro running Windows 10, the lag free Outlook, seamless integration with OneDrive, OneNote and Office, ability to customize home screen, glance screen, double tap to wake and double tap to sleep. I don't miss any apps. For banking, I pin mobile web page to start, which I hardly use anyway. During the four months I was on Android, I did download various apps such as banking, travel, games, but found that I hardly, if ever use them.

I believe that MS will continue to develop Windows 10 mobile. They clearly believe that it is important to have a cellular operating system on the ARM chip. They will not abandon Windows 10 mobile because they do not want to put all their bet on x64 chips. As long as the apps you need are available, I believe it is fine to stay on Windows 10 mobile.
There are a ton of launchers on Android that allow you to make it look like Windows Phone. I love the Arrow launcher made by Microsoft. There is just too many features Win Phone is missing for me to go back. Fingerprint readers and mobile payment are huge features not to mention all the apps that are missing, which are a ton, for me anyway. I know it's a personal choice.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
There are a ton of launchers on Android that allow you to make it look like Windows Phone. I love the Arrow launcher made by Microsoft. There is just too many features Win Phone is missing for me to go back. Fingerprint readers and mobile payment are huge features not to mention all the apps that are missing, which are a ton, for me anyway. I know it's a personal choice.

Yes, in there are apps that you need and is not on Windows 10 mobile, it is good to switch to Android. Likewise, if you need mobile payment, Android is good too. I found Android much more suited to us Windows phone users than iOS.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I'd assess the current mobile 10 apps that are available and assume that - worst case - no further apps will be introduced. If those apps meet your needs and the rest of your criteria for a new phone are met, then I'd go ahead and purchase the phone that's right for me.

Bear in mind what your replacement lifecycle will be, of course. I've been happy with phones lasting in excess of the contractual periods that many networks have - others want new shiny stuff more frequently than that.

Mobile 10 is part of windows 10 that will continue to be updated, according to Microsoft's published strategy, for the next couple of years - and 10 will continue indefinately, as an OS that's not exclusive to mobile. Strategies can be changed at any point of course.

The purchase decision is probably even easier if you're not needing to purchase the highest cost handset - thus your investment and risk levels are lower, should things turn out differently.

OriginalLucy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my Passport that was mysteriously rendered with the no service, sos problem. I, too am wondering about the Windows phones to complement my Windows 10 PC. I'm thinking a Lumia. Not sure which one, though

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
If you're on a budget and do want a better experience with Microsoft, try an iPhone SE. Microsoft apps on iOS are so much better on iOS than on windows mobile and android. However, Android has great Microsoft widgets where they're lacking on iOS.

GrizzlyStrong

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have recently move over to a budget Android phone, and even though I am not a heavy app user, you can see why these other platform surpass Windows Mobile currently. Having banking apps, Sam's scan & Go app and other little useful apps have been great for the day to day activities.

even though I really miss the design of the tiles and the whole Windows Mobile OS, it just seems like the platform is going to in beta for a real long time. I have a Lumis 640 xl that I take out from time to time just to play around with. But right now I have an android phone, don't love the OS, but at the end of the day it gets the job done And that's what Windows Mobile should strive for.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If you're on a budget and do want a better experience with Microsoft, try an iPhone SE. Microsoft apps on iOS are so much better on iOS than on windows mobile and android. However, Android has great Microsoft widgets where they're lacking on iOS.

"if you are on a budget try an iPhone SE" :grincry:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
If you on a budget get a At&t Lumia 950 online at best buy for 250 last I check or get the at&t on Microsoft store for 300. I feel it has better specs then the iPhone se.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone SE costs around 500 € (in Austria at least). That's hardly for anyone who's on a budget. The 950 is around 250 €. That's half the price and a really awesome deal for a phone with great display and camera, as well as a Snapdragon 808.
If you want to use Windows 10 Mobile is another story

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone SE costs around 500 ? (in Austria at least). That's hardly for anyone who's on a budget. The 950 is around 250 ?. That's half the price and a really awesome deal for a phone with great display and camera, as well as a Snapdragon 808.
If you want to use Windows 10 Mobile is another story

I'm assuming op lives in America where the iPhone SE is cheaper than the 950 (on plans). As for you thinking it's funny I said it was a budget phone, when you're on a plan, it costs anywhere from 13$ - 19$ where as the Lumia 950 is locked to ATT (Unless your purchase one online from Microsoft/Microsoft Partners. The Lumia 950 is 9.00$/m for 30 months at att which means if a new Microsoft phone comes out, your going to be waiting forever.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming op lives in America where the iPhone SE is cheaper than the 950 (on plans). As for you thinking it's funny I said it was a budget phone, when you're on a plan, it costs anywhere from 13$ - 19$ where as the Lumia 950 is locked to ATT (Unless your purchase one online from Microsoft/Microsoft Partners. The Lumia 950 is 9.00$/m for 30 months at att which means if a new Microsoft phone comes out, your going to be waiting forever.

Wow, that's a huge difference. I don't know about the US but in Europe it's always waaay cheaper to buy a phone without a contract

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon