WP10 - does it make sense to buy phone with it? How the future of this OS will look like?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm assuming op lives in America where the iPhone SE is cheaper than the 950 (on plans). As for you thinking it's funny I said it was a budget phone, when you're on a plan, it costs anywhere from 13$ - 19$ where as the Lumia 950 is locked to ATT (Unless your purchase one online from Microsoft/Microsoft Partners. The Lumia 950 is 9.00$/m for 30 months at att which means if a new Microsoft phone comes out, your going to be waiting forever.

I don't understand. You say they iPhone is cheaper but then say it's $13-19 whereas the 950 is $9. How is it cheaper?

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand. You say they iPhone is cheaper but then say it's $13-19 whereas the 950 is $9. How is it cheaper?

Most carriers as of 2015 have a "iPhone Forever" or "iPhone Upgrade Plan" which allows you to upgrade your iPhone when the new one comes out for little to no money on a plan. With the Lumia 950, That's not available and will cost more over time on a plan for 30 months.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Most carriers as of 2015 have a "iPhone Forever" or "iPhone Upgrade Plan" which allows you to upgrade your iPhone when the new one comes out for little to no money on a plan. With the Lumia 950, That's not available and will cost more over time on a plan for 30 months.

Well, the 950 cost less but you'd then arguably get more with the iPhone(s), since you get a free upgrade. But in actual money paid the 950 would be cheaper.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
That's a simplistic way of looking at it. There are seriously very useful apps that are missing from Windows Phone not just junk.

He's pretty much making two statements in one though. On the one hand a facetious dissing of the quality of a lot of apps, and on the other that if one don't care for the apps that are missing (regardless of whether they're 'junk') then it doesn't matter that they're missing.

Most users spend most time on quite few apps. A bit more time is spent on some more apps on a weekly basis, and then there is a huge amount of apps that get installed and barely used if at all, and often uninstalled. So the "gap" to a large degree will be made up of "junk" actually. Of course, if that's irrelevant we only get to the next point which is "Do you have what you need?" If one does, then the platform is fine.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
He's pretty much making two statements in one though. On the one hand a facetious dissing of the quality of a lot of apps, and on the other that if one don't care for the apps that are missing (regardless of whether they're 'junk') then it doesn't matter that they're missing.

Most users spend most time on quite few apps. A bit more time is spent on some more apps on a weekly basis, and then there is a huge amount of apps that get installed and barely used if at all, and often uninstalled. So the "gap" to a large degree will be made up of "junk" actually. Of course, if that's irrelevant we only get to the next point which is "Do you have what you need?" If one does, then the platform is fine.
I agree to that, but if you are going to recommend a phone it has to be a big consideration. I'm not referring to what's been posted here, I'm talking in general. In all honesty I could never recommend a Windows Phone anymore.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree to that, but if you are going to recommend a phone it has to be a big consideration. I'm not referring to what's been posted here, I'm talking in general. In all honesty I could never recommend a Windows Phone anymore.

If by "consideration" you mean figuring out if the person you're talking to would need apps X, Y and Z then obviously. I mean, the situation could hypothetically be the polar opposite, with some obscure W10M-only app being absolutely required for this potential buyer. If that's the case then it doesn't matter how great iOs/iPhone is, because it doesn't have those apps.

But if you ask a user and they're like me for example, and I'm by no means the only one, then the answer is undoubtedly not unequivocally "no". I've listed the apps before, and I could do it again I suppose, but it really is literally about 4-7 apps daily, and 100% of them or their functions are available on all platforms. On a weekly basis my app usage grows by about 5-10 apps or so, but the point is that I still haven't run into a situation where I felt like I needed an app on my phone only to find out that it's only available on iOS or Android. Still hasn't happened. Three months now of daily usage.

I'm absolutely not dismissing that some people are annoyed that some app is missing, but whenever this happens, and I do mean every single time it's happened so far, nobody has ever told me of an app that I want or need whose function isn't available on W10M. Not once. And I know it's not just me in this situation.

So I just get a bit tired of the relentless hyperbole and blanket statements that people dish out repeatedly. In your case, just so you can see my point; if you met someone like me, why would you not recommend WP to me?

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If by "consideration" you mean figuring out if the person you're talking to would need apps X, Y and Z then obviously. I mean, the situation could hypothetically be the polar opposite, with some obscure W10M-only app being absolutely required for this potential buyer. If that's the case then it doesn't matter how great iOs/iPhone is, because it doesn't have those apps.

But if you ask a user and they're like me for example, and I'm by no means the only one, then the answer is undoubtedly not unequivocally "no". I've listed the apps before, and I could do it again I suppose, but it really is literally about 4-7 apps daily, and 100% of them or their functions are available on all platforms. On a weekly basis my app usage grows by about 5-10 apps or so, but the point is that I still haven't run into a situation where I felt like I needed an app on my phone only to find out that it's only available on iOS or Android. Still hasn't happened. Three months now of daily usage.

I'm absolutely not dismissing that some people are annoyed that some app is missing, but whenever this happens, and I do mean every single time it's happened so far, nobody has ever told me of an app that I want or need whose function isn't available on W10M. Not once. And I know it's not just me in this situation.

So I just get a bit tired of the relentless hyperbole and blanket statements that people dish out repeatedly. In your case, just so you can see my point; if you met someone like me, why would you not recommend WP to me?
The main reason is this. Microsoft has given up on consumer phones. They sold off the Lumia line, they are not making them anymore. If you purchase a Lumia you are purchasing a dead line of phones. I didn't leave Microsoft they left me, especially since I am on Verizon. Number two: how about future features that will not be available on Windows phone? There won't be one with Fingerprint readers, mobile payments that your bank will actually support? How about one that will have a better processor to give better battery life? It's not happening. And It will get zero support from devs. So it's NOT hyperbole it's just a fact.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I guess my main issue is the future. With Windows Phone at 0.5% of the market it will not be supported for that one app that you will need in the future. So you can't just look at it as it's okay for me right now you really should look at the support for the future. Don't you think?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The main reason is this. Microsoft has given up on consumer phones. They sold off the Lumia line, they are not making them anymore.

If you're going to criticize them for their business you need to be accurate with what you're saying happened. The "Lumia line" isn't "sold off", MS still owns "Lumia". From what I can see they sold off the mobile division with Nokia branding, which is not the same thing. Let me know if I missed something here, but I don't think I did.

Secondly, I don't entirely see myself as a "consumer", but arguably either a "professional" or a "prosumer", which means that the stated or implied niche market MS is aiming for actually fits me well.

If you purchase a Lumia you are purchasing a dead line of phones.

If you buy any not-the-latest-line of phone you're buying a "dead line".

Number two: how about future features that will not be available on Windows phone? There won't be one with Fingerprint readers, mobile payments that your bank will actually support?

I don't need a fingerprint reader, I want an iris reader. Fortunately the 950 has that. Historically, the fingerprint readers had security issues, and to my knowledge the iris readers did not. As for mobile payments I don't know what to tell you. My bank's app does what I want it to do on my mobile. Any other future features that won't be available? Well, I don't know which they are.

Look, I'm pretty pragmatic when I buy technology, I essentially boil it down to three issues:

1) Does it do what I need it to do NOW?
2) Will it continue to function the way I need it to for a reasonable amount of time?
3) Am I locking myself into a platform that is a dead-end with no reasonable way out at the end of it?

The first two questions are by far the most important (and the answer is "yes" to both) and so far the answer "yes" to both has never failed me. The first simply has to do with whether or not the device or software has the required features (and that they are functioning) now, and the second with essentially quality. The last question is obviously up for debate. And on that note I'd say that people like you said exactly the same thing before Nadella said the Redstone three would continue to develop Continuum, and before he said MS wasn't leaving W10M, and before the Alcatel was released, and before the X3 was released, and before Redstone 2 was released, and so on, backwards. In other words; people have declared the OS and the phones dead for a fair amount of time now, and I can still go and buy a W10M phone and the OS is still being worked on. That's not what "dead" looks like in my book.

How about one that will have a better processor to give better battery life? It's not happening.

People said that before the X3 was released. You simply don't know that it won't happen, but you for some reason have no problem proclaiming unequivocally that it won't. I prefer nuance and will simply disagree with what you imply (that it is a fact) and instead say that it is highly probable we'll see more W10M phones with better specs in the future, regardless of what you say or want to see.

And It will get zero support from devs.

Either you're talking about existing phones, in which case you're obviously wrong seeing that there will be increased development on the platform at least through Redstone 3, or you're talking about future phones in which case your statement doesn't make sense since you said there'd be no future phones to begin with! Why would I care about support from developers for phones that won't exist???

And why are there still updates on the inside rings if there's zero upcoming support?

So it's NOT hyperbole it's just a fact.

No dude, it's not a fact. You're talking about the future, so it's not a fact, it's just your guess about the future. Calling your guess "just a fact" after having said "it's NOT hyperbole" just sounds like more hyperbole.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I guess my main issue is the future. With Windows Phone at 0.5% of the market it will not be supported for that one app that you will need in the future. So you can't just look at it as it's okay for me right now you really should look at the support for the future. Don't you think?

No, I actually don't agree with that. Regardless of your conviction stuff happens, and you can never assume a developer will cater to your needs in the future. If you don't believe me take a look at all the content creators that bought into the Apple ecosystem years ago and several times got burned when Apple just dropped support of connectors or technology.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Just get a used 1520 or other recent win phone that came with 8.1 , then you can run 10.....or restore to 8.1 ......float it for a year or so....and see what comes out :)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to criticize them for their business you need to be accurate with what you're saying happened. The "Lumia line" isn't "sold off", MS still owns "Lumia". From what I can see they sold off the mobile division with Nokia branding, which is not the same thing. Let me know if I missed something here, but I don't think I did.

Secondly, I don't entirely see myself as a "consumer", but arguably either a "professional" or a "prosumer", which means that the stated or implied niche market MS is aiming for actually fits me well.

I don't need a fingerprint reader, I want an iris reader. Fortunately the 950 has that. Historically, the fingerprint readers had security issues, and to my knowledge the iris readers did not. As for mobile payments I don't know what to tell you. My bank's app does what I want it to do on my mobile. Any other future features that won't be available? Well, I don't know which they are.

Look, I'm pretty pragmatic when I buy technology, I essentially boil it down to three issues:

1) Does it do what I need it to do NOW?
2) Will it continue to function the way I need it to for a reasonable amount of time?
3) Am I locking myself into a platform that is a dead-end with no reasonable way out at the end of it?

The first two questions are by far the most important (and the answer is "yes" to both) and so far the answer "yes" to both has never failed me. The first simply has to do with whether or not the device or software has the required features (and that they are functioning) now, and the second with essentially quality. The last question is obviously up for debate. And on that note I'd say that people like you said exactly the same thing before Nadella said the Redstone three would continue to develop Continuum, and before he said MS wasn't leaving W10M, and before the Alcatel was released, and before the X3 was released, and before Redstone 2 was released, and so on, backwards. In other words; people have declared the OS and the phones dead for a fair amount of time now, and I can still go and buy a W10M phone and the OS is still being worked on. That's not what "dead" looks like in my book.

People said that before the X3 was released. You simply don't know that it won't happen, but you for some reason have no problem proclaiming unequivocally that it won't. I prefer nuance and will simply disagree with what you imply (that it is a fact) and instead say that it is highly probable we'll see more W10M phones with better specs in the future, regardless of what you say or want to see.

Either you're talking about existing phones, in which case you're obviously wrong seeing that there will be increased development on the platform at least through Redstone 3, or you're talking about future phones in which case your statement doesn't make sense since you said there'd be no future phones to begin with! Why would I care about support from developers for phones that won't exist???

And why are there still updates on the inside rings if there's zero upcoming support?

No dude, it's not a fact. You're talking about the future, so it's not a fact, it's just your guess about the future. Calling your guess "just a fact" after having said "it's NOT hyperbole" just sounds like more hyperbole.
You can stay in your dream world that Windows Phone will be something that's fine with me. But it is a fact that devs are Not supporting the platform. I could go on and on stating all the businesses that have left windows phone. You talk about Redstone updates. They are geared toward the enterprise not the consumer market Microsoft has said as much. If WP suites your needs that by all means use it. But it is not or will it be be a relevant platform not after all these years the ship has sailed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just wanted to comment on this to say that the Lumia name dies this month actually. There was an article about this on Windows Central a few months ago but Microsoft is not extending that branding anymore so it is dead by the end of the month.

Microsoft Lumia is dead, but that's not news | Windows Central

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I just wanted to comment on this to say that the Lumia name dies this month actually. There was an article about this on Windows Central a few months ago but Microsoft is not extending that branding anymore so it is dead by the end of the month.

Microsoft Lumia is dead, but that's not news | Windows Central

It's entirely possible that MS will stop selling Lumia-branded phones in December, or January 1st. I guess we'll see if that's true or not. The article actually does not say that Microsoft specifically, unequivocally and officially stated that it would indeed cease sales, it merely guesses that this will happen. So we'll see if that's the case.

I would continue to say that we should be careful with words. I said that to the other poster as well, but rather than accept and acknowledge that he either used wrong words by mistake or misread something he just doubled-down on his stance. This is as I said before exactly how rumors perpetuate. Someone says something nuanced, someone else ignores the wording and reads it differently and then spreads that 'interpretation' which then gets repeated. And if it's pointed out that something is wrong then nobody cares. In this case, the article you link to states:

Over the last few days, a wealth of news articles and sudden discussion on social media has arisen surrounding the fact that Microsoft has started removing their Lumia's from physical Microsoft Stores and rumors suggesting the company will stop selling Lumia altogether in December.

Relevant words highlighted. We could take "news articles" seriously if there was a link to those articles and those articles were founded on facts that we could verify. Speaking of facts, the "fact that Microsoft has started removing their Lumia's from physical Microsoft stores" seems odd since MS is still selling Lumia phones both online and in stores! We don't have to think about this too hard: If it was a "fact" that they physically started removing phones in September we wouldn't expect to find them in store even in October! I mean, how hard is it to remove inventory?

So, rumors, social media discussions, and "news articles" which no doubt these days more often than not are just more rumors. Will MS cease selling the phones? Most likely. At a specific date? Probably not. Only an very dumb organization would throw away phones that aren't sold rather than selling them at a discounted price.

- Again, to reiterate; I do agree that Lumia at some point probably will "go away", but the term that something is "dead" has to mean something rather than just having a subjective vague feeling. If it's enough to just say something is "dead" then the other poster was right months ago. I checked his posting history and he declared W10M dead a long time ago. So again, how is it dead if more phones are being sold and the software is being updated? It doesn't sound like "dead" to me. I will have no problem admitting it's dead when it is, but crying wolf won't make the wolf's presence a fact.

However, the context of this very thread is Windows 10 Mobile, so if you want to reference that article - from September - the relevant sentence(s) is:

The fact of the matter is Microsoft is now focusing on business devices, including Surface Pro, Surface Book, HP Elite x3 and indeed, the Surface Phone. What people don't seem to be able to understand is that killing Lumia doesn't mean Windows 10 Mobile is going with it.

Kind'a like when Apple stops selling iPhone 4's, or whatever model they're replacing with something else. How many models did Google sell again?

Context. Perspective.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not the same concept. Microsoft will have a first party product but it will not be called Lumia. I'm guessing that Zac wrote that at the time because some other less reliable sources kept stating that the Lumia name is dead, as is Windows 10 Mobile.

In Google's case, they decided to kill the Nexus line, so yes it is dead in that context. Is it currently though, as of December 8, 2016? Not so much. Microsoft will continue to sell until they are done manufacturing the phones and/or when the stock is finished.

I understand where you are coming from. Thankfully, Windows 10 Mobile is not going anywhere, and that is what really matters.

Edit: I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree, I would rather not have this totally derail the thread.

Last edited:

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I think we probably agree. My only point was that some will take certain information the wrong way. Dropping a hardware brand or product line is one thing, and completely abandoning a platform of hardware and software a completely different proposition.

So really my post wasn't just aimed at you even though I quoted you, it was a bit more general in nature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)