WP10 - does it make sense to buy phone with it? How the future of this OS will look like?

vicar1

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Hm... As I see there are two opinions struggling. I really would like to have W10M to develop but I couldn't see that. Even in Insiders updates are like "improve continuum, fix bugs". That is all. I have currently most apps that I need, but what about future? From time to time new app is coming which is needed, but there will be no chance that will be developed on W10M. Also I'm little tired of no good app for Google Docs, lousy Facebook and Twitter apps which sometimes are just redirecting to browser, lousy Instagram app which is crashing etc. With W10M haivng 0,5% on the market I just couldn't imagine that developers would want to improve these apps.

Unless MS has plans to resurrect it to have again 4-5% of the market. But recently there were news, that full W10 will be avalaible on some Snapdragons phones. Doesn't it mean, that W10M is close to the end? Why supporting two systems that could be run on mobiles?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Hm... As I see there are two opinions struggling. I really would like to have W10M to develop but I couldn't see that. Even in Insiders updates are like "improve continuum, fix bugs". That is all.

You have to consider where you are though when reading requests. If those are requests for the insiders in a Microsoft setting then it is pretty much clear that that's most of what you'll read. Improvements on apps in that location ("forum") would likely be limited to Microsoft apps or functionality. I wouldn't expect to see insiders request Facebook updates or development in a MS forum, since it's not MS developing it, it's Facebook.

I have currently most apps that I need, but what about future? From time to time new app is coming which is needed, but there will be no chance that will be developed on W10M.

First of all, you don't know that, it's only your assumption. Secondly, as I pointed out earlier somewhere, the logic in what MS is doing is that UWP ports easily for a lot of apps over to mobile. So, if this new app is being written with Windows 10 ("desktop") in mind, and the developer chooses to develop it for UWP, then it's easy to port over to mobile.

Perhaps what is needed is a concerted effort from W10M users directed towards developers to make them develop for UWP and mobile, rather than complain and declare the platform 'dead'. I know developers look at the volume of devices for a platform, but they certainly won't be encouraged when users say the platform is dead rather than contact the developers to push for W10M development.

Also I'm little tired of no good app for Google Docs, lousy Facebook and Twitter apps which sometimes are just redirecting to browser, lousy Instagram app which is crashing etc. With W10M haivng 0,5% on the market I just couldn't imagine that developers would want to improve these apps.

Unless MS has plans to resurrect it to have again 4-5% of the market.

I partially agree with that.

But recently there were news, that full W10 will be avalaible on some Snapdragons phones. Doesn't it mean, that W10M is close to the end? Why supporting two systems that could be run on mobiles?

From what I understand the hardware architecture for x86 is such that it provides better performance but at a much higher cost. Not only are the CPUs more expensive, but so are other components involved in creating a computer. So, since that's the case, we're likely to see issues with performance when people start using their W10 software on an ARM mobile. In the demo they showed Photoshop running on a Snapdragon, and they did image processing, but all that was was proof of concept. Imagine adding tons of layers and doing heavy processing in Photoshop.... or using a video editing or color grading application. A lot of heavy professional work also relies on offloaded processing using dedicated audio or video DSP chips on cards or attached via FW/USB/TB.

So what I think is that while some apps will run fine on mobile, such as Word etc, there are many that won't. And therefore we users will be faced with the question of whether or not it's worth buying a more expensive mobile ("phone") device running W10, that can run some desktop software efficiently, or buying a cheaper yet still powerful device running W10M with mobile apps and apps adapted from UWP.

I would personally be very on the fence about usability here. Ideally, a dual-boot would be cool. So maybe run the nicer mobile OS and GUI for most work, and if needed just restart and boot into W10 (not mobile) and run other tasks.....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
OP question: "WP10 - does it make sense to buy phone with it?" . The answer simply is no. Despite the protestations of fanboys and Microsoft's continued denials and non statements this OS has no real future, only vague guesses and fanciful dreams. If someone wants a modern smartphone that works well in today's technology landscape and is not caught up in the ****** OS wars an iphone or android device will serve them much better. No need for multi paragraph answers, just buy one of those devices and enjoy what a true smartphone should be.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
You have to consider where you are though when reading requests. If those are requests for the insiders in a Microsoft setting then it is pretty much clear that that's most of what you'll read. Improvements on apps in that location ("forum") would likely be limited to Microsoft apps or functionality. I wouldn't expect to see insiders request Facebook updates or development in a MS forum, since it's not MS developing it, it's Facebook.

First of all, you don't know that, it's only your assumption. Secondly, as I pointed out earlier somewhere, the logic in what MS is doing is that UWP ports easily for a lot of apps over to mobile. So, if this new app is being written with Windows 10 ("desktop") in mind, and the developer chooses to develop it for UWP, then it's easy to port over to mobile.

Perhaps what is needed is a concerted effort from W10M users directed towards developers to make them develop for UWP and mobile, rather than complain and declare the platform 'dead'. I know developers look at the volume of devices for a platform, but they certainly won't be encouraged when users say the platform is dead rather than contact the developers to push for W10M development.

I partially agree with that.

From what I understand the hardware architecture for x86 is such that it provides better performance but at a much higher cost. Not only are the CPUs more expensive, but so are other components involved in creating a computer. So, since that's the case, we're likely to see issues with performance when people start using their W10 software on an ARM mobile. In the demo they showed Photoshop running on a Snapdragon, and they did image processing, but all that was was proof of concept. Imagine adding tons of layers and doing heavy processing in Photoshop.... or using a video editing or color grading application. A lot of heavy professional work also relies on offloaded processing using dedicated audio or video DSP chips on cards or attached via FW/USB/TB.

So what I think is that while some apps will run fine on mobile, such as Word etc, there are many that won't. And therefore we users will be faced with the question of whether or not it's worth buying a more expensive mobile ("phone") device running W10, that can run some desktop software efficiently, or buying a cheaper yet still powerful device running W10M with mobile apps and apps adapted from UWP.

I would personally be very on the fence about usability here. Ideally, a dual-boot would be cool. So maybe run the nicer mobile OS and GUI for most work, and if needed just restart and boot into W10 (not mobile) and run other tasks.....

Here's what I would be wondering though. If it would run full W10, would it be able to run the Android emulator apps out there for Windows 10 on PC? For me personally, it would be enough to pull me back. The apps I would be using are not detail intensive, just simple ones I need access to.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
OP question: "WP10 - does it make sense to buy phone with it?" . The answer simply is no. Despite the protestations of fanboys and Microsoft's continued denials and non statements this OS has no real future, only vague guesses and fanciful dreams. If someone wants a modern smartphone that works well in today's technology landscape and is not caught up in the ****** OS wars an iphone or android device will serve them much better. No need for multi paragraph answers, just buy one of those devices and enjoy what a true smartphone should be.

It's just your opinion. But I do appreciate the multiple use of the word "******", that almost won me over. Well done.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody here saying that WM phones have no future please raise their hands. To those people I ask, how many of you keep their phone for more than 2 years? If you don't, what in blazes do you care if there's a future or not? It's not like you have a Gingerbread Android or iPhone 3GS now?

WM10 works today, right now. I'm sure as hell not going to have this Idol 6 months from now let alone 2 years. I have a 2 year-old BlackBerry Passport that just got updated a few days ago and it's rock steady. Enough of this future BS, none of us knows what's coming.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anybody here saying that WM phones have no future please raise their hands. To those people I ask, how many of you keep their phone for more than 2 years? If you don't, what in blazes do you care if there's a future or not? It's not like you have a Gingerbread Android or iPhone 3GS now?

WM10 works today, right now. I'm sure as hell not going to have this Idol 6 months from now let alone 2 years. I have a 2 year-old BlackBerry Passport that just got updated a few days ago and it's rock steady. Enough of this future BS, none of us knows what's coming.

Well said.

I doubt that there are many here who keep their phones until the battery/software/hardware starts to fail. I know that I have been a sucker and I change yearly. I see myself possibly getting a new Android next year and maybe a new Windows phone too if a good one appears and it isn't hundreds out of my price range! lol

I don't see Apple refreshing the SE next year, but that is one phone I will be willing to hold on to.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
OK I read a couple of answers and I think you may get the point, but a couple of days before MS just unveiled the ability to work with full Windows 10 in a mobile CPU ARM technologies and stuff like that, maybe today is not the time to buy one, but in some months, after the release of the next devices with full Windows 10.

Last edited:

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Stop and think will you? Has Microsoft at any big event this year ever mentioned Windows 10 mobile? They have thrown in the towel. Windows on ARM isn't even Windows 10 mobile IoT. Again, the main point is, will devs support a platform that is less than 1% of the market? The answer is a big fat NO. Devs didn't even support win phone when it was 3% of the market. And that is the most important issue when it comes to consumer mobile. No mobile payment, apps that just keep disappearing. Therefore to answer the thread I could not in good conscious ever recommend Windows phone right now. It would be a disservice.

anon(10103970)

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I've got just recently a 950 and couldn't be happier. Great smartphone, awesome camera and W10 Mobile rocks. Especially if you're already using W10 on desktop and/or an Xbox One. I'm rockin' a Surface Pro 4 and a Xbox One S. All works so great together! I was coming from an iPhone SE and prior to that Android. None of them fit my taste. It all comes down to apps (and games), but luckily in my case W10 offers everything I need.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The app gap isn't such a big issue for me. I use the Lumia with Maps, Email, Browser, weather, calendar. These are all fine.

For anything serious, I have my iPad. I like big displays and there is no app gap.

The problem with W10M is the bugginess of the system. Camera app broken, live tiles don't update, Plex suddenly cannot play music and things like that. Just too tiring to see that MS has such low quality control. Many common bugs aren't fixed for many months.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use the Lumia with Maps
I really hope they keep working on their maps app given that even Waze has left the building. Right now whenever I need to open MS maps I go "ugh". They made it such a jumble of features.. Anybody here use tabs in the maps app? I'd rather have a clear search history than tabs. For navigation I get the sense that I need to hit navigate-go-isaidgo on three different locations on the screen. Probably user error, but I'm still not used to it. And if I want to edit an address or copy it it's in a different place than the search box. Thanks to the nerds for adding functionality, now can they please call a UI designer? /unexpectedrant :)

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Stop and think will you? Has Microsoft at any big event this year ever mentioned Windows 10 mobile?

MS did at "Ignite", speaking specifically about Continuum updates.

They have thrown in the towel.

Then why work on Continuum? Why continue updates on the phones with W10M?

Windows on ARM isn't even Windows 10 mobile IoT.

Right, it's much more than that.

No mobile payment,

I think I told you before that my bank's app supports mobile payment, as well as MS Wallet. Why would you perpetuate this inaccuracy? It's one thing to make an assumption which turns out to be wrong and one thereby shows that one is ignorant about something, and a completely different thing to say the same thing again after having been told one was wrong. It's no longer even willful ignorance but something else.

Read this thread, it is enlightening. The arguments used were pretty much the same, and yet here we are after new phones were launched, after new software was launched.

I think giving you credit actually equals you having an ulterior motive with your constant assertion that the OS is dead, i.e. you're trolling. For the sake of this community it'd probably be best if the admin got rid of your account. Just my 2 cents.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I doubt that there are many here who keep their phones until the battery/software/hardware starts to fail.

Had to laugh at that one. No word of a lie the only phones I've EVER owned that had hardware issues have all been Windows Phones with fails or unnatural behaviours happening within days of owning them, obviously my bad luck but... First was my 1020, camera crapped out on day 8, then we got the 830 and it's capacitive back button being flaky (real annoyance at times), finally my 650 with it's "cold display don't want to play" issue.

As to whether WM makes sense or its future? The sense part comes down to one's expectations of the platform, will it do what you need it to and can you live without in regards to apps and features. Future, its presence in the marketplace and how things have been evolving are pretty good tell-tail signs that it is bleak in the sense, don't expect much to change in the short term. If you can accept those facts and are fine dealing with them then by all means go for it. Going by my experiences I'd be the last person to recommend as a "daily driver" though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've got just recently a 950 and couldn't be happier. Great smartphone, awesome camera and W10 Mobile rocks. Especially if you're already using W10 on desktop and/or an Xbox One. I'm rockin' a Surface Pro 4 and a Xbox One S. All works so great together! I was coming from an iPhone SE and prior to that Android. None of them fit my taste. It all comes down to apps (and games), but luckily in my case W10 offers everything I need.
Explain it to Wolfjt, he seems to think we're all miserable with Windows Mobile and we're all doomed to a miserable existence if we stay on this sinking ship.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Explain it to Wolfjt, he seems to think we're all miserable with Windows Mobile and we're all doomed to a miserable existence if we stay on this sinking ship.
The difference in opinion seems to be, I think, that some people believe the Mobile landscape will not change from where it is today. MS may have conceded the current structure but appears to be designing a new one. Some of us can hold out to see if that occurs and some cannot. Either way I'm glad we have choices and don't all have to use the same platform.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The difference in opinion seems to be, I think, that some people believe the Mobile landscape will not change from where it is today. MS may have conceded the current structure but appears to be designing a new one. Some of us can hold out to see if that occurs and some cannot. Either way I'm glad we have choices and don't all have to use the same platform.

Sent from mTalk

That's precisely the point, it's working for many TODAY. None of us know how the future will unfold and none of know if our CURRENT devices will work with the Windows 10 Mobile of tomorrow. None of us know if developers will support the upcoming x86 support since UWP will not be necessary. In fact, it will not be necessary to install apps through the Windows Store anymore so it might be a financial incentive for devs to sell directly to end users.

Either way, the ONLY thing thing that matters is that the platform is working today and anybody who bought into the Windows 10 Mobile platform did so because of what is working TODAY. I can't understand why that's such a difficult concept for some. Microsoft should put a warning label on all its products in big, bold pink letters: I never promised you a Rose Garden.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Obviously you both are tolerant of WM inadequacies and are willing to accept “good enough”, doubt the majority are though not even enterprise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise