Should I switch back to Windows 10 Mobile or stick with Android for the time being?

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I might have been in the minority but I never had a W10 mobile itself or my 950. It never was any "buggier" than my Edge 7 or LG G4. If you didn't need certain apps I would have no problem recommending a Windows phone. I would just suggest doing your homework when it comes to apps. I say this because for me it's more than just the apps that aren't there, but the fear of future support of current apps.

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. Someone who gets it.

Yeah, the question was pretty straightforward:

Do you recommend it and why.

Yeah, I don't recommend because all the reasons I've written and for you I (and all the others that don't recommend it as well) don't 'get it'.

Lots of 'Lots of Laughs' don't seem to suffice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the question was pretty straightforward:

Do you recommend it and why.

Yeah, I don't recommend because all the reasons I've written and for you I (and all the others that don't recommend it as well) don't 'get it'.

Lots of 'Lots of Laughs' don't seem to suffice.

How can we recommend x over y without knowing what your specific needs are? Android and iOS have more apps. That should be the end of it. Windows has a nice UI and some device-specific features like Continuum.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And the love for Nokia is what brought a lot of people to WP in the first place.

Maybe in other markets. Nokia has never had any presence in the US. WP was Samsung, HTC and LG in the beginning. Nokias didn't hit the scene until NoDo or maybe even Mango.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe in other markets. Nokia has never had any presence in the US. WP was Samsung, HTC and LG in the beginning. Nokias didn't hit the scene until NoDo or maybe even Mango.

WP also never had much presence in the US, and never got any market share worth noticing until Nokia happened. A lot of people came to WP because of Nokia. I'm sure that this was part of Microsoft's strategy in making the deal with Nokia. Microsoft was very clever!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
WP also never had much presence in the US, and never got any market share worth noticing until Nokia happened.
Chicken or the egg. Until NoDo, copy/paste wasn't available. There were other failings with WP7 early on. Mango fixed a lot of things and it coincides with the arrival of the Lumia 800. So, chicken or the egg?

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
How can we recommend x over y without knowing what your specific needs are? Android and iOS have more apps. That should be the end of it. Windows has a nice UI and some device-specific features like Continuum.

I can recommend a device based on my use and on my own experience. If my experience with a device is bad, it's nothing more than natural not to recommend it. That's for sure.

It's up to the OP to gather all information provided by the people that responded and decide whether this info is relevant or not. I repeat: the OP's question was pretty straightforward.

I and I also repeat: the Windows Mobile still feels like a beta software to me: freezing, rebooting and hanging aplenty.

Official Facebook and Instagram apps require an incredible ammount of RAM to run in a proper way.

The experience is quite appalling. We have two or three builds per month and yet it the development team can't quite resolve bugs that plague the OS for quite a long time now.

My car's stereo still can't connect properly to my phone via bluetooth. Quite often I am not able to control my phone using the steering wheel's controls. That has never happened with Android or Symbian before. And it happens since forever with Windows Phone/Mobile (Lumia 1020, 930 and, now, 950).

My OneNote stopped syncing content a long time ago and I didin't know it. Result: important data lost. That hasn't happen even on Symbian. How's that for reliability?

We don't have the ability to run overlaid applications like Android has. For instance, on Android, I can run any speed cam application with overlaid warnings on top of any navigation software I want. This is a no-go in Windows Mobile 10.

The photos application is just ridiculous. Ask an iPhone user to use it for a while and rate it. Rate it will be mostly replaced by hate it.

Of course there are advantages. But I really can't recommend a system as unpolished as this to anyone, not even a die hard MS fan.

And that's my opinion. It's up to the OP to decide whether it's relevant or not.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I can recommend a device based on my use and on my own experience. If my experience with a device is bad, it's nothing more than natural not to recommend it. That's for sure.

It's up to the OP to gather all information provided by the people that responded and decide whether this info is relevant or not. I repeat: the OP's question was pretty straightforward.

I and I also repeat: the Windows Mobile still feels like a beta software to me: freezing, rebooting and hanging aplenty.

Official Facebook and Instagram apps require an incredible ammount of RAM to run in a proper way.

The experience is quite appalling. We have two or three builds per month and yet it the development team can't quite resolve bugs that plague the OS for quite a long time now.

My car's stereo still can't connect properly to my phone via bluetooth. Quite often I am not able to control my phone using the steering wheel's controls. That has never happened with Android or Symbian before. And it happens since forever with Windows Phone/Mobile (Lumia 1020, 930 and, now, 950).

My OneNote stopped syncing content a long time ago and I didin't know it. Result: important data lost. That hasn't happen even on Symbian. How's that for reliability?

We don't have the ability to run overlaid applications like Android has. For instance, on Android, I can run any speed cam application with overlaid warnings on top of any navigation software I want. This is a no-go in Windows Mobile 10.

The photos application is just ridiculous. Ask an iPhone user to use it for a while and rate it. Rate it will be mostly replaced by hate it.

Of course there are advantages. But I really can't recommend a system as unpolished as this to anyone, not even a die hard MS fan.

And that's my opinion. It's up to the OP to decide whether it's relevant or not.

I'll agree with you on some of those fronts but unable to on the other mentions since, it hasn?t happened to me, yet, or haven?t, do not use those features.

Another aspect that has me up in arms is that "thing" that is supposed to represent the "app store", that too is an utter joke, considering for a user to acquire apps, it is a necessity. Just updated some apps yesterday on my 830, takes forever to decipher what needs updating, forever to update, then after they've updated it's becomes a prerequisite that "the store" be closed to know if they actually did update, at least that?s been my case. As well, can't count the times I've had to repeat the process of updating same apps because they fail too even though it has appeared they did. Then there's the whole layout of the store which is a disgrace in my opinion along with so many other things.

And what about that screen flash/flicker, at one time I thought it was an 830 anomaly until we got the 650, to my surprise it was even worse. This has been going on forever as well yet MS does not seem intent to address.

From my perspective the OS is unpredictable, inconsistent and seriously unrefined. I find it hard to use WM as a daily driver yet if we were back on 8.1, could do much more easily. Something wrong when older is a better fit when talking mobile but then that is just my opinion.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Considering the Alcatel Idol 4 just went on sale for $99 WITH the vr unit on cricket, you should see about getting that and unlocking it (so long you are on a compatible network).

On a side note. I have never had issues on W7.8 (focus) wp8.1 (lumia 1020)or w10m (idol4s) controlling pause/skip track over bluetooth etc. 2011 ford fusion for what its worth.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Going by my first-hand experiences/reads it'll be "YMMV", still too much inconsistency/instability within the platform on both fronts, OS and devices.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Considering the Alcatel Idol 4 just went on sale for $99 WITH the vr unit on cricket, you should see about getting that and unlocking it (so long you are on a compatible network).

On a side note. I have never had issues on W7.8 (focus) wp8.1 (lumia 1020)or w10m (idol4s) controlling pause/skip track over bluetooth etc. 2011 ford fusion for what its worth.
Nice deal.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa