Onenote v Evernote Convincing Result.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
MS Onenote has been causing me issues recently and although good (when it works) it often does not work and even manual syncing does not happen. Sometimes it does work but for me mostly it does not.
Today I tried Evernote both on the laptop and the L950 mobile and it works flawlessly. I have added pictures and voice clips, and all types of Documents to put Evernote through its paces and it has worked every time, syncs in around 3 seconds max.
Also today I have repeatedly tried to sync 1 single picture (JPEG 5MB) using Onenote and after a full day of not working I have turned my back on Onenote. It gets fixed then its broken then gets updates and things get worse.
Recently I found (reset app) for Onenote and this allowed some limited syncing of basic files but nothing larger than 1mb will sync for me, its ridiculous.
Evernote 10 out of 10. Onenote 1 out of 10 because you simply can not rely on it.
What I have noticed is that anything you do on a device does get updated to the server, I can see the changes taking place on the server (albeit slow) but then the syncing from the server to other devices with Onenote is extremely intermittent and as I say it cant sync a simple JPEG.
SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ONENOTE,
EVERNOTE has preformed with outstanding speed and instant syncing, no hassle and no having to fault diagnosis for days at a time.

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
MS Onenote has been causing me issues recently and although good (when it works) it often does not work and even manual syncing does not happen. Sometimes it does work but for me mostly it does not.
Today I tried Evernote both on the laptop and the L950 mobile and it works flawlessly. I have added pictures and voice clips, and all types of Documents to put Evernote through its paces and it has worked every time, syncs in around 3 seconds max.
Also today I have repeatedly tried to sync 1 single picture (JPEG 5MB) using Onenote and after a full day of not working I have turned my back on Onenote. It gets fixed then its broken then gets updates and things get worse.
Recently I found (reset app) for Onenote and this allowed some limited syncing of basic files but nothing larger than 1mb will sync for me, its ridiculous.
Evernote 10 out of 10. Onenote 1 out of 10 because you simply can not rely on it.
What I have noticed is that anything you do on a device does get updated to the server, I can see the changes taking place on the server (albeit slow) but then the syncing from the server to other devices with Onenote is extremely intermittent and as I say it cant sync a simple JPEG.
SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ONENOTE,
EVERNOTE has preformed with outstanding speed and instant syncing, no hassle and no having to fault diagnosis for days at a time.
Ya know ? I really didn't Neeeeeeeeeeed to.... but I went ahead and got it too. I had tried it many, many years ago and it was not much.... but WHOA - NOW it DEFINITELY RIVALS OneNote. I got the PREMIUM level across my 3 devices:
Toshiba Win 10 Pro ThinkPad
Lumia ICON Win10M
S7Edge

Sweet! Syncs FAST!!!!

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Try a photo, as I say syncing to the server (OneNote server) is slow but works, its the second half of the process, from server to devices that is problematic, also, it seems large files (5mb) causes the sync to crash or hang, I left it a whole day and the image never synced, but minor word changes in documents can sync from between 30 seconds to three hours, not good enough. Once the large file has corrupted the notebook no further syncing from the server to devices occurs, the only way to make progress is to delete the image file from notebook in question from one note, then disconnect your account from one note completely, then once you log in again adding the account syncing takes place in less than 30 seconds, but image files don't sync. Way too much hassle, Evernote works very well. I can monitor the communication between the one note app and the server buy also being logged into onenote online version. Any info added via the app shows as synced to the online version so the server is getting the info, something is causing very slow data from the server to devices? Been fighting this 1 week now and have seen all kind of results, non of which can be replicated in terms of sync timing.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had and used Evernote frequently some time ago but OneNote works so seamlessly well for me and over all my devices that I stopped using Evernote and recently deleted it. I especially like web clipping from Edge into OneNote, I use that all the time. Or things being saved without my having to "save" them. And it's nice not having to remember yet another log-in name and password or Evernote e-mail address for myself.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I wish it worked like it used to for me, and I enjoyed all the features you mentioned but, I had no alternative but to switch, I have tried everything but no success, trying to get an image to sync has never been so difficult, I got to a point where I had to abandon all efforts. I cant understand the problem with syncing from the server to my other devices.

bambuco

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I too noticed issues when using OneNote on Surface3 and added a picture then marked it up in the same note, then on mobile device trying to pull up that note takes sooooooo long... AND when back at desktop sometimes it takes 30 minutes for the note to full render. Mind you it isn't deal-breaker for me, since this isn't a common thing for me to do. I mainly use OneNote at my desktop tracking notes and projects, using Outlook to manage tasks, etc. The mobility hasn't been a major problem, but I couldn't help notice the occasional sync delay or failure.

NOTE: I have many notebooks and half of them contain TONS of pages, could that have any affect on the sync? Maybe OneNote needs to go through every single notebook/page before getting to the most recent added/revised page? Maybe something MS should reprogram to check newest pages first?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... I too noticed issues when using OneNote on Surface3 and added a picture then marked it up in the same note, then on mobile device trying to pull up that note takes sooooooo long... AND when back at desktop sometimes it takes 30 minutes for the note to full render. Mind you it isn't deal-breaker for me, since this isn't a common thing for me to do. I mainly use OneNote at my desktop tracking notes and projects, using Outlook to manage tasks, etc. The mobility hasn't been a major problem, but I couldn't help notice the occasional sync delay or failure.

NOTE: I have many notebooks and half of them contain TONS of pages, could that have any affect on the sync? Maybe OneNote needs to go through every single notebook/page before getting to the most recent added/revised page? Maybe something MS should reprogram to check newest pages first?
Whatever the causes may be, OneNote seems to be getting old and people are having issues with it... especially the more they use it the way it was meant to be used.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Here is the best part (or unfortunately the worst part) I have only ever had 1 notebook in onenote, and a maximum of 10 notes, nothing too taxing at all, and it has failed to do this, throw a picture or voice clip at it and it hangs to a total freeze (and I think corrupts the notebook) , this failure (only takes one) seems to keep the onenote from retrieving data from the server, when you go to reset app, you can see the app growing in size, from less than 1mb to over 70mb over the period of a day when trying to sync 1 single (5mb) jpeg. ?? What is going on here?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Here is the best part (or unfortunately the worst part) I have only ever had 1 notebook in onenote, and a maximum of 10 notes, nothing too taxing at all, and it has failed to do this, throw a picture or voice clip at it and it hangs to a total freeze (and I think corrupts the notebook) , this failure (only takes one) seems to keep the onenote from retrieving data from the server, when you go to reset app, you can see the app growing in size, from less than 1mb to over 70mb over the period of a day when trying to sync 1 single (5mb) jpeg. ?? What is going on here?
I'm totally switched over to Evernote now. Totally smooth across all 3 devices - syncs like lightning too. All I had to do with OneNote is move the 3 Icons so they no longer occupy prime real estate on my desk top and Android and Windows Phone Home pages.
Evernote is just sooooo smooth.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I am MS through and through, have long connections with MS but the comparison here is so shocking!? Evernote- 3 seconds including images etc, Onenote, 30 seconds minimum to 3 hours or an entire day and I have never managed to sync a jpeg between 3 devices, Evernote, syncs in 3 seconds, no hassle no problem.
Totally awful and very surprising, if I can use the online version of outlook to access my email at an instant (all server related) then why does onenote not work the same way?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I am MS through and through, have long connections with MS but the comparison here is so shocking!? Evernote- 3 seconds including images etc, Onenote, 30 seconds minimum to 3 hours or an entire day and I have never managed to sync a jpeg between 3 devices, Evernote, syncs in 3 seconds, no hassle no problem.
Totally awful and very surprising, if I can use the online version of outlook to access my email at an instant (all server related) then why does onenote not work the same way?
I also prefer Evernote due to its fast syncing and nice formatting. I mainly use Evernote to clip articles from the web, and the formatting looks so much nicer than that of OneNote.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I also prefer Evernote due to its fast syncing and nice formatting. I mainly use Evernote to clip articles from the web, and the formatting looks so much nicer than that of OneNote.
Been meaning to tell ya, love the new avatar and the ELP symbol.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't Evernote charge now to sync across devices?
They've got Free, Plus, Premium and Business. I got the Premium with 25% off for 50 gigs/mo, unlimited devices, I thnk.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member