So You Cannot Uninstall Core Apps?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Why is it that when someone posts a question on how to uninstall Groove or Outlook that there is no way to do it, but when I do a hard reset on Insider Build 14977.1000 all those "Core APPS" are missing and the thing runs fine....so to speak. It has its issues but fully usable. When we first go to Insider Build 14977 we have those APPS from the non-insider build, so initially I don't notice any difference.

Once you install them you also have the option to uninstall them.

Is this accidental that this is occurring? Or will we get this option on future builds???

If these are so "ingrained" into the OS why will my phone function without them....?

I posted here for more exposure as some may not peruse the Insider Forum.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure those apps missing is unintended/accidental behavior. I doubt it'll change.

Anyways, uninstallable apps are the way they are not necessarily because they are critical to the phone's operation, but more because Microsoft doesn't want you to uninstall their built-in stuff. There are uninstallable stock apps on most platforms that aren't mission critical.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Pretty sure those apps missing is unintended/accidental behavior. I doubt it'll change.

Anyways, uninstallable apps are the way they are not necessarily because they are critical to the phone's operation, but more because Microsoft doesn't want you to uninstall their built-in stuff. There are uninstallable stock apps on most platforms that aren't mission critical.
This. Last I checked, you cannot uninstall Chrome, Google Play Music/Games, on any Android phone.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
This. Last I checked, you cannot uninstall Chrome, Google Play Music/Games, on any Android phone.

I wouldn't know, the only Android phone in the house is a Nexus 4 running Ubuntu 15.04. As far as I know the only apps on that phone that won't uninstall are phone, messaging, contacts, and Safari. Music and camera will uninstall for sure, but I guess that's apples and oranges.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

Agree, it's kinda like uninstalling 'Microsoft Edge Browser'. Its not going to damage the OS but its kinda there as a built in web browser for you to use. With regards to OP @Mark F24. Maybe just put the Outlook App and others in a folder somewhere. :)

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Agree, it's kinda like uninstalling 'Microsoft Edge Browser'. Its not going to damage the OS but its kinda there as a built in web browser for you to use. With regards to OP @Mark F24. Maybe just put the Outlook App and others in a folder somewhere. :)

I have installed most, but my main point is I would like the choice. I did not install Groove and find my battery life is better, the apps that do not install that I have found are:

Groove-I did not install
Outlook Mail and Calendar - I did install
Windows Voice Recorder - I did install
OneDrive - I did not install yet but probably will for photo and file sync/access as NextCloud does not have an APP. (I have NextCloud on my personal server so I could do without OneDrive, just upload/download through secure web browser)
Windows Movies & TV - I did install
Windows Calculator - I did install

I am running Plex for my audio streaming and it has been slower to resume from lock screen but is nowhere near the battery hog of Groove, seeing as I have my own server in my house which I can access from outside my home network I can use Plex. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to use Groove, it is an excellent player, easy to understand and use but how can I justify using it if it cuts my usable time between charges in half?

Anyway, I simply like the ability to Choose. I would like to use OpenVPN too as I could run that on my server but Windows Mobile doesn't allow me that choice either. If Microsoft is gearing Windows 10 Mobile to business use, why not have an OS that is an OS, not the package they are pushing?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
you can uninstall ALL of them, pretty much, IE is what I would call a critical windows component and even that can be removed and IS removed in some weird EU versions that you have to manually opt-in for it, IE is needed to display some content within windows itself, lots of apps use it too

but, groove? lol that's as "integrated" as any winamp or music app ever, I might actually uninstall those now that you mention it, they are completely useless to me on my desk and I've seen "music app" being a cpu hog process from time to time, maybe trying to index my files? jeez, even though I have NEVER ONCE opened groove or tv apps on this pc

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
you can uninstall ALL of them, pretty much, IE is what I would call a critical windows component and even that can be removed and IS removed in some weird EU versions that you have to manually opt-in for it, IE is needed to display some content within windows itself, lots of apps use it too

but, groove? lol that's as "integrated" as any winamp or music app ever, I might actually uninstall those now that you mention it, they are completely useless to me on my desk and I've seen "music app" being a cpu hog process from time to time, maybe trying to index my files? jeez, even though I have NEVER ONCE opened groove or tv apps on this pc

This is mobile not PC ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos