W10M - The Sad Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
In a previous forum I made I acknowledged that on multiple occasions I found myself wanting to leave W10M for a more stable platform preferably (iOS) but always chose to stay here, now on the other hand... I think I might just have reached my breaking point.
What I long for most of all in W10M is not new features or flashy new tools or even apps with the latest features right off the bat that might be riddled with bug, what I long for the most is an OS that just works. No freezes no crashing of apps, everything working as it should and the lack of this pains me.
I could give details about what crashes, what freezes but everyone has already done so and I am not alone in saying that I miss the days of WP8.1 when everything just worked.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Switching to Android, not because of apps gap or something, but because of WM10 instability. Never know when it decides to misbehave. Will see how it goes with stock Android. Also, see no point in listing all the bugs I meet, as I don't think fixing them is anywhere near top priority for MS.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Switching to Android, not because of apps gap or something, but because of WM10 instability. Never know when it decides to misbehave. Will see how it goes with stock Android. Also, see no point in listing all the bugs I meet, as I don't think fixing them is anywhere near top priority for MS.
I too have recently bought a iPhone. I'm trying my best to stick it out with WM. It certainly gets challenging some days.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
The sad thing about it is that WM 10 has a great deal of potential; it does seem at times though that microsoft is deliberately crippling the platform: it is the only rational explanation for the numerous recurrent flaws. Perhaps it's a cynical strategy to wean regular users off the platform

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Seems kind of simple to me, switch to the grass is greener platforms. Go were you'll be happy.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I rarely have the 'resuming' and few crashes.
I think all OSes have their grief.
Used to have an Android tablet and it would just get slower and slower - until I reset it.
I think MS will have a few W10m fixes, but will concentrate on ARM.
But I hear the frustrations!

In a previous forum I made I acknowledged that on multiple occasions I found myself wanting to leave W10M for a more stable platform preferably (iOS) but always chose to stay here, now on the other hand... I think I might just have reached my breaking point.
What I long for most of all in W10M is not new features or flashy new tools or even apps with the latest features right off the bat that might be riddled with bug, what I long for the most is an OS that just works. No freezes no crashing of apps, everything working as it should and the lack of this pains me.
I could give details about what crashes, what freezes but everyone has already done so and I am not alone in saying that I miss the days of WP8.1 when everything just worked.

MetalDrivenHeart

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I switched to an LG G5 running the latest Nougat 7. Its a magical experience compared to the sad times I had with the 1520, 640 LTE, 640XL LTE Dual SIM and the Lumia 950. Always a challenge. Never again. I also love my 142,000 Antutu score :D I keep my old 640XL around just to play with the latest beta version but that is about it. I will definitely consider a Surface phone if it ever comes to fruition. But only if it is packing Intel for full compatibility not only with UWP apps but anyother app that will run on Windows. I want a replacement handset to rule them all on all levels. Phone, tablet and desktop/laptop. :cool:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Seems kind of simple to me, switch to the grass is greener platforms. Go were you'll be happy.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

It’s not quite that simple for all involved, doing something because you HAVE TO is far different than because you WANT TO. Greener pastures and being happier on the other platforms may only reside on the surface and not to the core where it should be.

We did it easily yet do understand that the other platforms aren't for everyone, some things are like an addiction and are hard to give up.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It?s not quite that simple for all involved, doing something because you HAVE TO is far different than because you WANT TO. Greener pastures and being happier on the other platforms may only reside on the surface and not to the core where it should be.

We did it easily yet do understand that the other platforms aren't for everyone, some things are like an addiction and are hard to give up.
Confucius allegedly said if you do what you love you'll never work again. Some grass might be greener and some OS might work better but in the end, if you're not filled up it's just another phone. Or job.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I have to ask ...

What OS version are you running?
I've read the posts, but, have NOT had the same experience.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask ...

What OS version are you running?
I've read the posts, but, have NOT had the same experience.
It's oddly inconsistent across users. I agree with his sentiment and I've used a few 10586 production builds as well as production and Insider AU builds.

grob9642

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Sadly I think Microsoft is just going to let the mobile processor silicon progress til it can run actual Windows10 or it's successor. They just can't seem to devise another mobile platform that is worth a crap.

stjeffy86

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have found that the OS has been much more stable on insider builds. I think that Windows 10 Mobile requires a lot more power than Windows Phone 8.1 did and it will take new hardware to makes sure it runs smoothly. I did switch to Android but I still love Windows and keep a phone for testing purposes and hopefully waiting until I can go back as my daily driver.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My friend has had constant issues with ios 10 on her iphone 6s. In fact, you can find just as many people complaining. It's really about your exact usage scenarios and whether they trigger bugs. W10M is in the same boat. I don't have bugs but I also may not use it like others. For example, I turn my phone off every night. That reboot alone could get rid of any small memory leaks that may build up or who knows.

Apple has been diligently releasing fixes for ios 10 though. This is their primary business so it's at a more rapid rate than w10m that's for sure.

ananimus

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have found that the OS has been much more stable on insider builds. I think that Windows 10 Mobile requires a lot more power than Windows Phone 8.1 did and it will take new hardware to makes sure it runs smoothly. I did switch to Android but I still love Windows and keep a phone for testing purposes and hopefully waiting until I can go back as my daily driver.

I'm on board with this. Just came from an L735 still running WP8.1 after trying an L650 for a week. The 735 was able to knock WP8.1 around easily enough except when pulling heavy websites. Then I'd get "reloading" a lot, but it was quick to do so.The 650 proved worse at running W10M. I got "reloading" whenever any Edge browser was open or more than a couple of apps.

So I jumped up to the 950. Now it's very snappy with its abundance of RAM and raw horsepower. But good lord, this thing sucks down the battery like water when in actual use. Compared to my two year old 735, the difference is night and day. Standby times are similar even with Glance/Hey Cortana active. But start browsing anything and *zap* goes the battery.

Some of this may be the higher res screen. But no more mid-range options like the 7xx/8xx series! More than the screen, I blame Edge. It's a step forward on site compatibility, another reason I upgraded. Browsing or using anything that uses browsing-like features (Facebook) is what kills the battery though. It's like 1% per minute or two whether on LTE or WiFi. Meanwhile I can still play games for hours (judging by the drain rate) as long as BG apps are closed. So I, too, am frustrated by the apparent steps backward in efficiency and stability.

Maybe it'll take a while to get the polish 8.1 had. Maybe we need a 10.1. But just yikes...

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My friend has had constant issues with ios 10 on her iphone 6s. In fact, you can find just as many people complaining. It's really about your exact usage scenarios and whether they trigger bugs. W10M is in the same boat. I don't have bugs but I also may not use it like others. For example, I turn my phone off every night. That reboot alone could get rid of any small memory leaks that may build up or who knows.

Apple has been diligently releasing fixes for ios 10 though. This is their primary business so it's at a more rapid rate than w10m that's for sure.
I'm with YOU, MAN !!!Some folks do soooo much with their phones and they never power it off unless there's a glitch or something.

There's a myriad scenarios for usage and some leave the user totally satisfied. That's like me and my Lumia ICON. I stay on the Insider Fast Ring and never a problem.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user by any means. Unlocked AT&T 640 at 10.0.14393.576. Recently reinstalled OS from scratch, hoping that it would fix some issues, but to no avail.
Simplest test. Go to Settings ->"Update & security". There tap "Phone update". It should get you to the form where you can manually check for phone updates. Does this option work for you? For me, it works around 2 times out of 10. Other 8 times it simply does nothing, leaving me at the "Update & security" menu. Also, when I say that tapping this option does nothing, it is not so literally - looks like the phone does some processing with no visible results, because after the tap there is always ~5 sec delay before phone can react to any other taps. Also, it is the only "Phone update" option that (mis)behave like this. All the other options like "Backup", "Device encryption", etc, work Ok.
This one is relatively harmless bug, just very easy to describe. There are many others. Things like this poison the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)