Which do you use, Skype Preview or Messaging App on W10M?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Which do you use, Skype Preview or Messaging App?

Messaging App always. I rarely use Skype.
Not a fan of the battery drain that Skype brings when signed in and ready to receive messages.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Messaging App always. I rarely use Skype.
Not a fan of the battery drain that Skype brings when signed in and ready to receive messages.

I just changed the heading to W10M specifically. Does Skype Preview drain battery life on mobile. I haven't used it as DD yet to find out.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just changed the heading to W10M specifically. Does Skype Preview drain battery life on mobile. I haven't used it as DD yet to find out.

In my one day trying it out, I noticed regular Skype drain. The idea is great, but not worth the tradeoff for me.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Messaging only. During set up on my mobile devices Skype and anything associated with is one of the first things I uninstall.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have gone back and forth; whenever Skype Preview gets an update I try it. I don't notice any battery drain.

My problem is just poor overall user experience. When opening Skype Preview to check a new message, it opens to your last conversation. It should default to the main page just like Messaging, too many steps to get to the new message. Images and group messages are cumbersome. Sending messages to contacts via SMS results in not seeing the text of your sent message in the conversation area. Still no message count on the live tile just an asterisk.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm in Messenger now. I try Skype and it's ok, but it has a ways to go. What's more, it's not that big of deal now because my text use is way down because I use other messaging service. But I like that they are doing (getting text on my Surface Pro 3 is helpful) and i hope they will eventually succeed

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Messaging app, tried the Skype and it was okay, but missing some of the functionality of the messaging app, namely the ability to mute messages, I make great use of that and missed it on Skype. Another minor issue was the hide/unhide messages, hiding them was easy enough, but to find them to unhide was not clear or evident that was frustrating as a user experience.

Then there was the issue of Skype not opening, it would just hang and then go back to home screen, yes that was fixed but it didn't offer much for confidence in it as yet.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried skype... Went back to messaging and like some of the comments, group text and images are just better laid out. Live tile performance works as expected. Skype has a way to go. And messaging app just looks better.

Alin Maior

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The messaging app, currently, but I noticed that Skype Preview, after the latest few updates has improved a lot, no more long waiting for the "Updating conversations" part, so I consider switching to it soon.

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I have alternated so many times between the two. I really like the fact that with Skype you can send messages from your PC and I wish that functionality was added to the messaging app as well. I like the interface of the messaging app a lot better. I use Messaging app for messages and Skype Preview for bots, which is such a charm to use.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Messaging app, tried the Skype and it was okay, but missing some of the functionality of the messaging app, namely the ability to mute messages, I make great use of that and missed it on Skype. Another minor issue was the hide/unhide messages, hiding them was easy enough, but to find them to unhide was not clear or evident that was frustrating as a user experience.

Then there was the issue of Skype not opening, it would just hang and then go back to home screen, yes that was fixed but it didn't offer much for confidence in it as yet.

You on production build or insider?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
While Skype Preview looks great, I've had to go back to messaging. It just works. Skype preview tends to be slow in showing new messages and will also show them out of order when they arrive within one minute. For example, my beautiful young bride will text me, I'll reply back, and my reply comes in before her text.

Here's an example exchange between me and my mom. She went to my house, and told me she put bread on the counter. I said thank you, she said enjoy. It didn't come in the correct order.

C2EO97r.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99