The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-29-2016 10:36 PM
30 12
tools
    Title says it all. I'm just curious to see what ppl are using these days.
    Last edited by Byrese; 12-27-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    12-27-2016 02:43 PM
    Messaging App always. I rarely use Skype.
    Not a fan of the battery drain that Skype brings when signed in and ready to receive messages.
    mark233 and aximtreo like this.
    12-27-2016 02:53 PM
    "Messaging App always"

+1
    libra89 likes this.
    12-27-2016 04:17 PM
    Messaging App always. I rarely use Skype.
    Not a fan of the battery drain that Skype brings when signed in and ready to receive messages.
    I just changed the heading to W10M specifically. Does Skype Preview drain battery life on mobile. I haven't used it as DD yet to find out.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk
    12-27-2016 05:35 PM
    I just changed the heading to W10M specifically. Does Skype Preview drain battery life on mobile. I haven't used it as DD yet to find out.

In my one day trying it out, I noticed regular Skype drain. The idea is great, but not worth the tradeoff for me.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-27-2016 05:38 PM
    Messaging only. During set up on my mobile devices Skype and anything associated with is one of the first things I uninstall.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    12-27-2016 05:38 PM
    I have gone back and forth; whenever Skype Preview gets an update I try it. I don't notice any battery drain.

My problem is just poor overall user experience. When opening Skype Preview to check a new message, it opens to your last conversation. It should default to the main page just like Messaging, too many steps to get to the new message. Images and group messages are cumbersome. Sending messages to contacts via SMS results in not seeing the text of your sent message in the conversation area. Still no message count on the live tile just an asterisk.
    jasqid and wgrs like this.
    12-27-2016 07:06 PM
    I'm in Messenger now. I try Skype and it's ok, but it has a ways to go. What's more, it's not that big of deal now because my text use is way down because I use other messaging service. But I like that they are doing (getting text on my Surface Pro 3 is helpful) and i hope they will eventually succeed
    12-27-2016 08:57 PM
    If you switch from Skype back to messaging, will it move over your text history?
    12-27-2016 10:41 PM
    If you switch from Skype back to messaging, will it move over your text history?
    Yes

aximtreo likes this.
    12-28-2016 05:03 AM
    Messaging app, tried the Skype and it was okay, but missing some of the functionality of the messaging app, namely the ability to mute messages, I make great use of that and missed it on Skype. Another minor issue was the hide/unhide messages, hiding them was easy enough, but to find them to unhide was not clear or evident that was frustrating as a user experience.

Then there was the issue of Skype not opening, it would just hang and then go back to home screen, yes that was fixed but it didn't offer much for confidence in it as yet.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-28-2016 08:39 AM
    Messaging app as always haha. Skype preview is just a pain in the a**..
    libra89 likes this.
    12-28-2016 08:53 AM
    Tried skype... Went back to messaging and like some of the comments, group text and images are just better laid out. Live tile performance works as expected. Skype has a way to go. And messaging app just looks better.
    DavidTheGiant likes this.
    12-28-2016 09:03 AM
    The messaging app, currently, but I noticed that Skype Preview, after the latest few updates has improved a lot, no more long waiting for the "Updating conversations" part, so I consider switching to it soon.
    12-28-2016 09:32 AM
    I have alternated so many times between the two. I really like the fact that with Skype you can send messages from your PC and I wish that functionality was added to the messaging app as well. I like the interface of the messaging app a lot better. I use Messaging app for messages and Skype Preview for bots, which is such a charm to use.
    12-28-2016 09:35 AM
    On phone I use more messenger app than skype. But I do use lots of skype on PC, especially I can send SMS from my PC it's cool.
    12-28-2016 10:04 AM
    Messaging app, tried the Skype and it was okay, but missing some of the functionality of the messaging app, namely the ability to mute messages, I make great use of that and missed it on Skype. Another minor issue was the hide/unhide messages, hiding them was easy enough, but to find them to unhide was not clear or evident that was frustrating as a user experience.

Then there was the issue of Skype not opening, it would just hang and then go back to home screen, yes that was fixed but it didn't offer much for confidence in it as yet.
    You on production build or insider?

12-28-2016 12:02 PM
    Tbh, I use Skype Preview because I like the layout, especially the black colour as it's easier on the eyes.
    12-28-2016 06:28 PM
    While Skype Preview looks great, I've had to go back to messaging. It just works. Skype preview tends to be slow in showing new messages and will also show them out of order when they arrive within one minute. For example, my beautiful young bride will text me, I'll reply back, and my reply comes in before her text.

Here's an example exchange between me and my mom. She went to my house, and told me she put bread on the counter. I said thank you, she said enjoy. It didn't come in the correct order.

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    12-28-2016 10:42 PM
    Messaging. Skype isn't ready yet.
    12-29-2016 12:34 AM
    Skype Preview, but I'm not heavy on sms anymore, it's mostly WhatsApp.
    12-29-2016 02:49 AM
    You on production build or insider?

L640 on production build, I keep to the plain and simple awaiting what comes officially.
    12-29-2016 05:08 AM
    Skype Preview for me, haven't noticed any excessive battery drain and it has the added benefit of being able to mix Skype and SMS messages so you can continue conversations.
    12-29-2016 05:26 AM
    Tbh I rarely use both these days as all my contacts use WhatsApp for communication. However, if I must pick between the two, I use the Messaging app more often than Skype. It just works, and I prefer its UI than the Skype's.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-29-2016 08:07 AM
    I tried using Skype Preview for messaging but just found it too bulky for simple SMS texting. I only tried it because MSFT tried forcing users to use it by disabling Messaging Sync to PC's and requiring Skype Preview for that feature. I still preferred Messaging so I've switched back however I do miss being able to respond to texts from my PC. You can still use Cortana to send a text, but you can no longer respond to incoming texts.
    12-29-2016 08:45 AM
30 12