Why doesn't Microsoft step in to help developers write apps meaning their platform would grow. Why do we have to see the big apps such as snapchat and others not on the platform. We also see apps no longer supporting windows mobile such as SmartThings and Geocaching telling us they don't think it is "feasible". Spotify is even lagging behind iOS and Android with no Spotify Connect capability. The only app I know that isn't third party that is constantly evolving and trying to stay on par with their iOS and android counterparts is Fitbit. They recently started signup for a new beta app with GATT support allowing notifications shortly after it was implemented in a insider build. This to me is how it should be done. The other option is they just do nothing because it is "effort". What do you think?
    01-15-2017 06:13 PM
    Simple......Snapchat very much like Google will not play nice with Windows Phone.

Microsoft even went as far as to make a working YouTube app ( funded by Microsoft using Google API ), Google promptly had it shut down and blocked.
    We had a 3rd party Snapchat app for a short time, but Snapchat started Life Time Bans on users of the Windows Phone version......

So it is not up to Microsoft, it is up to you the user to apply pressure on app makers to adopt Windows Phone support !!!!!!

Something I have done at great length toward Adonit to add Windows 10 support for their Pens......as even app developers have joined in to ask Adonit for support !!!!!!!!
    01-15-2017 09:26 PM
    Basically what @Greywolf1967 said, but it is only true during the "glorious" era of Windows Phones, which is during the time Nokia is still in the business, and WP's market share is relatively very high (around 10% in EU, and 5% in the USA) and was in an increasing trend. The few companies that refused to develop their apps for WP were mostly due to the reasons @Greywolf1967 said, they simply hate Microsoft and refuse to allow their rival company to flourish their products, and overall boost MS's portfolio (conspiracy theory here lul).

Nowadays, however, the main reason why app support is really poor is due to the tiny market share W10M has. From a business standpoint, it's very unfeasible to develop and maintain an app in a platform that has shown steep decline for years. Developing/maintenance cost is not cheap, and with a majority of W10M users being cheap (check AppRaisin comments. You can see how cheap most of the W10M users are, asking developers to make their apps free), and a very very small user base, developers just can't see how they can make profit out of this platform. Sure, UWP was supposed to be W10M's saving grace, but the momentum that they had is slowly dying. I recall the sudden increase in the amount of UWP apps last year between the 3rd and 4th quarter, but it slowly died down.

So for now, the only way for the app support to be there are basically these 3:

1) A sudden massive increase in sales of W10M devices, which is almost impossible since the Lumia line has been discontinued, thus rendering consumers with almost no W10M devices except for 3rd Party OEM devices such as the Alcatel Idol 4S, which is only available in the US, as well as the outdated Acer Liquid Jade Primo, which IMHO is not that popular among W10M fans everywhere, the Vaio Phone Biz and NuAns Neo that's only available in Japan, and Lumia's that can be seen on Amazon/eBay which are either clearance units or refurbished, which raises the question of hardware support (B2X has been very poor, from what users had been posting here in this very forum). Also, the HP Elite X3 is NOT a consumer device. It is a high-end flagship, but it's also $800, which IMHO, wouldn't really attract any attention from the average consumers. Imagine as an average consumer, you're paying $800 for a phone that while it is very powerful, has very limited app support as well as having deal-breaking bugs (reboots when using camera). With a quarter of that price, you can already buy a very good Android phone i.e. XiaoMi, or with that price, get an iPhone which IMO just works better than any W10M devices ever will.

2) Increase in PC sales as well as increase in DESKTOP APP usage. Currently, PC sales are declining. Not only that, the current PC users are not using the UWP apps because they prefer to use traditional Win32 softwares, as well as using certain services in browsers i.e. Facebook, Twitter. Windows 10 for desktop adoption rate has also stagnated and are starting to decline, meaning the amount of users that would use UWP apps are declining as well.

3) Every famous app developers made a leap of faith and developed their apps and publish them into the Windows Store, regardless of the current situation of W10M and W10. This, like the above, is impossible.

The way I see it, W10M is beyond saving as of now, and Microsoft's doing the right thing to retrench it, while at the same time developing it. The way I see it, Microsoft is trying to phase out the general consumer's mindset that associates Windows Phones or W10M with negative remarks i.e. no apps, overpriced, etc. By slowly making users forget these, while behind the scenes polishing the OS and making great hardware for it going forward i.e. Surface Phone, as well as the recently announced W10 for ARM processors, I believe that W10M-era would not end, but evolve to something greater. I can only wait and hope, and if it doesn't happen, well, it's been a fun ride.
    twrist and Demian Mioc like this.
    01-16-2017 08:07 PM
    Basically what @Greywolf1967 said, but it is only true during the "glorious" era of Windows Phones, which is during the time Nokia is still in the business, and WP's market share is relatively very high (around 10% in EU, and 5% in the USA) and was in an increasing trend. The few companies that refused to develop their apps for WP were mostly due to the reasons @Greywolf1967 said, they simply hate Microsoft and refuse to allow their rival company to flourish their products, and overall boost MS's portfolio (conspiracy theory here lul).

Nowadays, however, the main reason why app support is really poor is due to the tiny market share W10M has. From a business standpoint, it's very unfeasible to develop and maintain an app in a platform that has shown steep decline for years. Developing/maintenance cost is not cheap, and with a majority of W10M users being cheap (check AppRaisin comments. You can see how cheap most of the W10M users are, asking developers to make their apps free), and a very very small user base, developers just can't see how they can make profit out of this platform. Sure, UWP was supposed to be W10M's saving grace, but the momentum that they had is slowly dying. I recall the sudden increase in the amount of UWP apps last year between the 3rd and 4th quarter, but it slowly died down.

So for now, the only way for the app support to be there are basically these 3:

1) A sudden massive increase in sales of W10M devices, which is almost impossible since the Lumia line has been discontinued, thus rendering consumers with almost no W10M devices except for 3rd Party OEM devices such as the Alcatel Idol 4S, which is only available in the US, as well as the outdated Acer Liquid Jade Primo, which IMHO is not that popular among W10M fans everywhere, the Vaio Phone Biz and NuAns Neo that's only available in Japan, and Lumia's that can be seen on Amazon/eBay which are either clearance units or refurbished, which raises the question of hardware support (B2X has been very poor, from what users had been posting here in this very forum). Also, the HP Elite X3 is NOT a consumer device. It is a high-end flagship, but it's also $800, which IMHO, wouldn't really attract any attention from the average consumers. Imagine as an average consumer, you're paying $800 for a phone that while it is very powerful, has very limited app support as well as having deal-breaking bugs (reboots when using camera). With a quarter of that price, you can already buy a very good Android phone i.e. XiaoMi, or with that price, get an iPhone which IMO just works better than any W10M devices ever will.

2) Increase in PC sales as well as increase in DESKTOP APP usage. Currently, PC sales are declining. Not only that, the current PC users are not using the UWP apps because they prefer to use traditional Win32 softwares, as well as using certain services in browsers i.e. Facebook, Twitter. Windows 10 for desktop adoption rate has also stagnated and are starting to decline, meaning the amount of users that would use UWP apps are declining as well.

3) Every famous app developers made a leap of faith and developed their apps and publish them into the Windows Store, regardless of the current situation of W10M and W10. This, like the above, is impossible.

The way I see it, W10M is beyond saving as of now, and Microsoft's doing the right thing to retrench it, while at the same time developing it. The way I see it, Microsoft is trying to phase out the general consumer's mindset that associates Windows Phones or W10M with negative remarks i.e. no apps, overpriced, etc. By slowly making users forget these, while behind the scenes polishing the OS and making great hardware for it going forward i.e. Surface Phone, as well as the recently announced W10 for ARM processors, I believe that W10M-era would not end, but evolve to something greater. I can only wait and hope, and if it doesn't happen, well, it's been a fun ride.
    01-16-2017 08:08 PM