The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-24-2017 02:52 PM
28 12
tools
    Hey all

Today I wanted to change the accent color on my cousin's Lumia 950. I wanted to put the same color as another Lumia 950XL is using. Guess what, it wasn't there. Then I did a comparison to my Lumia 930, but couldn't find that same color, but instead I found 2 others... See the screenshots and be amazed :)

Phones from left to right: 950 | 950XL | 930
    colors.jpg

See how 950XL has another purple blue color, and 930 has 2 extra green colors. Check your phone and let me know what else is there hehe :)
    PS: Forgot to mention all phones run the same production build, in the same country... Just wow :D
    Vasil Dechkov and zack251 like this.
    01-16-2017 01:32 PM
    Hey all

Today I wanted to change the accent color on my cousin's Lumia 950. I wanted to put the same color as another Lumia 950XL is using. Guess what, it wasn't there. Then I did a comparison to my Lumia 930, but couldn't find that same color, but instead I found 2 others... See the screenshots and be amazed :)

Phones from left to right: 950 | 950XL | 930
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	388.1 KB 
ID:	133316

See how 950XL has another purple blue color, and 930 has 2 extra green colors. Check your phone and let me know what else is there hehe :)
    PS: Forgot to mention all phones run the same production build, in the same country... Just wow :D
    Hello,I have a 950,I used to have a faded denim blue color option on mine,it was the last available color option on the grid,I have no idea what happened to it,who knows,later
    Last edited by xandros9; 01-16-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    01-16-2017 01:43 PM
    Hello,I have a 950,I used to have a faded denim blue color option on mine,it was the last available color option on the grid,I have no idea what happened to it,who knows,later
    Are you on latest production build? How come it just disappeared??
    01-16-2017 01:50 PM
    I have an extra green and an extra red (735 on Verizon)
    libra89 and Axeelant like this.
    01-16-2017 02:41 PM
    Even in WP8 some phones would have one or two extra accent colors.

Notable examples that I remember are:

The T-Mobile Lumia 521 having a T-Mobile Pink accent color option.
    The (ATT?) Lumia 830 having a bright green accent color to correspond with the back cover.
    etc.
    libra89, Guytronic and jmshub like this.
    01-16-2017 02:49 PM
    That's not strange....that's just stupidly normal with MS
    That is one of the major issues with WM10................somethings work in some phones and somethings don't
    In the meantime, another update last week and once again all the major bugs still remain.....
    Somebody at MS has got to be making fun of wm users.

Ridiculous.
    Timbre70 and EspHack like this.
    01-16-2017 04:16 PM
    A signature accent color for model or carrier is not nearly as ridiculous as every Android OEM enabling/disabling features with the myriad of skins.
    Mach_E, TgeekB, RumoredNow and 6 others like this.
    01-16-2017 04:42 PM
    That's not strange....that's just stupidly normal with MS
    That is one of the major issues with WM10................somethings work in some phones and somethings don't
    In the meantime, another update last week and once again all the major bugs still remain.....
    Somebody at MS has got to be making fun of wm users.

Ridiculous.
    No, it's more of a feature for some phones.

Sent from mTalk
    01-16-2017 04:53 PM
    you can set whatever color you want on pc using regedit and then sync your phone to it

an incredibly complicated way to achieve such a simple result
    Axeelant likes this.
    01-16-2017 09:23 PM
    you can set whatever color you want on pc using regedit and then sync your phone to it

an incredibly complicated way to achieve such a simple result
    ...and with the Creators Update you will be able to pick a custom acccent color on your phone
    Vasil Dechkov likes this.
    01-17-2017 01:27 AM
    Wow! So it's not just phone related but might also be a carrier thing... Fascinating :D
    libra89 and xandros9 like this.
    01-17-2017 02:28 AM
    A signature accent color for model or carrier is not nearly as ridiculous as every Android OEM enabling/disabling features with the myriad of skins.
    It's only ridiculous to someone who irrationally hates Google.

Android OEM's are allowed to make their products unique, and they take advantage of that. It's all part of why Android has been so successful(and windows phone has not)

Be different, not the same.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-17-2017 03:19 AM
    What's more different than using a Windows phone? If you want to be the same, use Android. If you want to stand out, surely Windows Mobile is the undisputed king of cool?
    libra89, TgeekB, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    01-17-2017 05:02 AM
    What's more different than using a Windows phone? If you want to be the same, use Android. If you want to stand out, surely Windows Mobile is the undisputed king of cool?
    I agree with your Windows phone statement but disagree with the Android part. I would say that applies more for iPhones since they come in three sizes and five/six colors. There are so many Androids that it is possible to be in a room of phones with that OS but have different phones.
    slivy58 likes this.
    01-17-2017 07:18 AM
    I really like that somebody would explain to me why do I have 5 different lumia phones (4 mine + 1 lumia phone from someone close to me) and some of these 5 phones have specific bugs and others, do not!
    All of them on W10m, same build!

Can somebody from MS can explain me this ?
    01-17-2017 11:08 AM
    ...and with the Creators Update you will be able to pick a custom acccent color on your phone
    7 years late, couldn't be happier about that

now lets keep the hopes up, maybe by 2020 we get landscape start menu
    01-17-2017 11:25 AM
    I really like that somebody would explain to me why do I have 5 different lumia phones (4 mine + 1 lumia phone from someone close to me) and some of these 5 phones have specific bugs and others, do not!
    All of them on W10m, same build!

Can somebody from MS can explain me this ?
    We don't really have official MS staff here frequently.

But I do have two ideas.

1. Windows 10 Mobile is still not up to the level of polish as its contemporaries and can be inconsistent between users and devices. (like how my 640's Cortana kept crashing despite it working fine on others)

2. Inherent variability between devices. Different settings, application loadouts, hardware, usage etc. can manifest itself in different problems. Like how some Windows PC's can have some issues that others don't.
    libra89, slivy58 and TgeekB like this.
    01-17-2017 12:10 PM
    I have an extra green and an extra red (735 on Verizon)
    Even in WP8 some phones would have one or two extra accent colors.

Notable examples that I remember are:

The T-Mobile Lumia 521 having a T-Mobile Pink accent color option.
    The (ATT?) Lumia 830 having a bright green accent color to correspond with the back cover.
    etc.
    Wow! So it's not just phone related but might also be a carrier thing... Fascinating :D
    Correct! The red that cmattau90 is talking about is actually Verizon red.
    Groover1971 and libra89 like this.
    01-17-2017 01:56 PM
    Interesting. I thought the colour differences were due to extra colours for carriers, but didn't know they were unique per-device in the same country.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-18-2017 04:51 AM
    Well, with the 930 you got a unique colour to match the colour back you chose, so even the same model phone, unbranded and unlocked, came with different colours.
    Axeelant, libra89 and xandros9 like this.
    01-18-2017 07:12 AM
    It's only ridiculous to someone who irrationally hates Google.

Android OEM's are allowed to make their products unique, and they take advantage of that. It's all part of why Android has been so successful(and windows phone has not)

Be different, not the same.
    You don't have to irrationally hate Google to think that the amount of customization allowed in Android is a bad idea. I should be able to pick up any Android find and find what I want in settings, but I can't. That, IMHO, should be standard. If you want to provide a top-level settings option for a manufacturer to dump all their stuff in (with subcategories), great, but that's not what happens. Drives me nuts when I'm trying to help my step-mom (via phone) change a setting on her Android and the menus aren't the same as on mine. As far as skins/launchers, that customization isn't as bad, but it still creates this weird ecosystem that has to introduce a ton of issues for support and development.

And the customization isn't why Windows phone failed. It's because Microsoft got to market way too late, well after the iPhone and Android had taken a hold of the market and they just couldn't get momentum because the market had spoken. Without that momentum, no one wanted to build apps for a stagnant platform. It didn't help they ended up rewriting (not enhancing) the OS three times: 7, 8 and 10, and that resulted in issues with the OS, which probably killed some of that momentum.

I always thought that Windows phone struck a nice balance between customization and standards, at least from the user's perspective, with the live tiles being a huge part of that.
    libra89, xandros9 and Axeelant like this.
    01-18-2017 11:05 AM
    I always thought it was neat that carriers, phone colours could dictate special colours you could have

I actually would like the desktop option where it picks the colour for you based on your background.
    01-18-2017 11:52 AM
    Correct! The red that cmattau90 is talking about is actually Verizon red.
    Exactly. It is Verizon red.
    01-19-2017 08:41 PM
    So, it seems like the custom color picker will only be on PC....
    01-20-2017 12:50 AM
    So, it seems like the custom color picker will only be on PC....
    Who said that?

Sent from mTalk
    01-23-2017 05:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD