W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Same with me. I was really surprised how Android evolved from crappy 2.x to mature 6.0. This is completely different OS now, fast, stable and easy to manage.

It's simple, Android improved literally overnight because of a man named Matias Duarte. He was the "father" of webOS and came to lead software development and design at Android. His first phone release was ICS 4.0 and the difference between that and the previous Gingerbread was sooooo obvious.

Windows Mobile could sure use a bright mind like his. Or at least bring back whoever came up with WP7.5.

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I was far away from using Android since years. In the Gingerbread era I have been using iOS, few years later switched to Windows hoping that there is a bright future for this OS. Unfortunately the stagnation of Windows Mobile is huge so I got back to Android (don't like iOS at all and the Apple politics).

FTella

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the OS is stagnated as was said in other posts; we receive frequent updates improving things. It's true that most developers work first for Android and IPhone, and if they have some extra time and money, they deliver a so-so quality app for WP (sometimes we are surprised with great apps though), but if Microsoft manages to load PC apps inside a phone, that can be a game changer.

Cheers!

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
PC apps on phones don't make any sense until they get touch interface. Without Continuum support and without touch UI they will be unusable. Speaking about delivering apps for current Windows Mobile you seem to be wrong, there is a tendency to remove apps from the store rather than add new.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Got my first offer on my L950 today, £80, Grade A, Boxed, Under Warranty and only 3 months old. Such a lovely device sadly let down by MS and a poor Strategy.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Got my first offer on my L950 today, £80, Grade A, Boxed, Under Warranty and only 3 months old. Such a lovely device sadly let down by MS and a poor Strategy.

Why don't you keep it as a backup it for insider updates? Seems a shame to lose so much.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Why don't you keep it as a backup it for insider updates? Seems a shame to lose so much.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
Minimum I will take is £140, that's a £110 loss in 3 months, If I don't get £140 I will keep it as a backup and to see what MS have up their sleeves if anything, Back to using Android and I am liking it, inferior device to the L950 but handy apps again. If this sells I will look to buy an S6.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
If you want to tweet developers by all means go ahead, I won't be wasting my time, it would take a tsunami of tweets to get a response Imo,

Like I said, the only way to guarantee that doesn't happen is to not contact the developers and to tell (or imply) people not to. We can try to grow the community, or we can try to kill it.

unless I am mistaken there seems to be a recent surge of apps stopping. Developers deciding to leave. Also for example, Facebook and Messenger two very big popular apps run terribly on this platform? Why? Our devices are powerful and plenty RAM yet we are looking at a lag delay of around 5-10 seconds average to get to a position where you can begin to type, this is not good enough.

I don't have to wait that long, and my apps haven't recently begun to stop. The experiences seem to be pretty personal and I'm betting there is a larger percentage of people posting about problems than are just praising a phone/OS that is working well.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The only major problem with this platform is stability ! I am an average consumer ( that part of the market which MS craps on) and honestly I like it ! It's easy to use and wonderful in design. But damn the performance. Even Microsoft's own apps breakdown, take ages to load ( when they do, if they do ) and seem to have no support.

Which ones though? For me the messenger app, outlook calendar, outlook mail, edge, weather etc all load fine and work fine without crashing.

And from what I've read, Continuum is unusable for more than a few minutes no matter what device you use it with.

When I used it (my KVM switcher died) I had no problems really. It's just a slightly different experience. The one issue would be just what you do with your phone when using Continuum, and certainly some things will slow the experience down. But for me, to just turn on a monitor in the morning and have keyboard / mouse access to email etc was great.

John Wolf1

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
If you want to tweet developers by all means go ahead, I won't be wasting my time, it would take a tsunami of tweets to get a response Imo, developers community and word of mouth within that community regarding windows mobile platform is the biggest hurdle and problem because unless I am mistaken there seems to be a recent surge of apps stopping. Developers deciding to leave. Also for example, Facebook and Messenger two very big popular apps run terribly on this platform? Why? Our devices are powerful and plenty RAM yet we are looking at a lag delay of around 5-10 seconds average to get to a position where you can begin to type, this is not good enough.
I'm beginning to think three platforms is too much for devs to handle. They not only have to develop the app but keep on fixing bugs and add features. Trust me, no one is going to develop for a platform that only has 0.5% market share, they didn't do it when it was close to 5 percent. They don't have time to waste on something so insignificant.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, no one is going to develop for a platform that only has 0.5% market share
Very few people indeed, but then once in a while a great UWP app comes out. I've been using the Grover Pro podcast app which is amazing, and it is available for all devices that run UWP. That includes niche devices such as hololenses, hubs, and ... phones! :)

Patata Johnson

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
With Acer not releasing Anniversary Update for the Jade Primo and probably not supporting that device at all anymore it proofs that W10m isn't a plattform that non fanboys should invest any money in.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
With Acer not releasing Anniversary Update for the Jade Primo and probably not supporting that device at all anymore it proofs that W10m isn't a plattform that non fanboys should invest any money in.

I'm hardly a ****** and I don't have any issues buying their products. Acer decided to withhold the AU because they felt the update was unstable and I'm sure they didn't want the bad press like HP has endured with the x3. Reading a headline and forming an opinion without having all the facts is what contributes to uninformed diatribe. There was a statement from Acer you know.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm hardly a ****** and I don't have any issues buying their products. Acer decided to withhold the AU because they felt the update was unstable and I'm sure they didn't want the bad press like HP has endured with the x3. Reading a headline and forming an opinion without having all the facts is what contributes to uninformed diatribe. There was a statement from Acer you know.

"...uninformed diatribe...." THAT'S A KEEPER !!! :wink:

EDIT>>>> That's worthy of my "William F Buckley, Jr." speaking award. :winktongue:
When I was accused of that once in the past, I was referred to as "...goin' off half-cocked." I would have much preferred the dignity of being called guilty of an "uninformed diatribe."

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 15014.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Can I ask, Regarding Facebook and Messenger App, are folks having delays using these two apps, I certainly am and I have read a recent thread on the mater I am sure, The delay is from opening the app from scratch, for example if I load Messenger its at least 10 seconds (sometimes longer) before it is usable. This includes receiving a messenger notification and trying to respond to that notification, On Android I have responded and moved on to something else before I can even type on the W10M L950.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Can I ask, Regarding Facebook and Messenger App, are folks having delays using these two apps, I certainly am and I have read a recent thread on the mater I am sure, The delay is from opening the app from scratch, for example if I load Messenger its at least 10 seconds (sometimes longer) before it is usable. This includes receiving a messenger notification and trying to respond to that notification, On Android I have responded and moved on to something else before I can even type on the W10M L950.
I've rolled back to both 8.1 apps. They were so much more fast and fluid than the current W10M apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster