W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ahhhh, woke up to a fine day, read the forums, and here we go again. Another post about how W10M is dying and how we, the fans, feel about it. Usually I ignore such posts because OP may have no idea how many posts like these are in the forum. Almost a post a day! /rant

Guys, W10M is dying, but it will not be forgotten It will leave it's legacy, as you have already seen how WP 7 and 8.x's well known Live Tiles are now being implemented into Windows 10. IMO, W10M will be used as another 'mode' for Windows 10 in the future via W10 for ARM. From the main site, you can see that Microsoft has patented an idea of a tablet-like device that can be folded into a smaller 'phone' form factor. So imagine a tablet, similar to Surface Pros, able to be transformed into a phone. Would it be practical to use the 'desktop' or 'tablet' mode W10 UI on such a small form factor? To me, it's a big NO. But W10M's interface is very nice. Wait! What if....

Yes. I really believe that W10M is dying, but instead of removing it entirely, Microsoft is trying it's best to phase the "phone" aspect out of W10M (in a sense that they're removing W10M's dependency on a just a phone device), and implement it as a mode for W10. IMO, W10M already has Continuum, where there's a transition of Phone UI -> Desktop UI. I'm guessing that with the Surface Phone, Microsoft is going 'backwards', or more accurately, allow free transition between both; Desktop UI <-> Phone. My reasoning on why this may be the case is because, well, W10M is dying, yet just about a week or two ago Microsoft just released a new build for W10M in the Fast Ring (build 15007). Who in the right mind would still develop something for a dying project?

I'll leave it to all of you to interpret. Also, as many others stated above, different people have different use case of their phone. Some are okay with how things are in the W10M's camp, some aren't. You alone have to decide how to deal with it, what others here say or do shouldn't matter much because at the end of the day, YOU are the one making the choice for YOURSELF, not us. If you feel W10M doesn't suit your needs, then there're Androids or iPhones out there that could better serve you. Want to leave but "not really", then get a secondary phone. Decent Android devices nowadays are dirt-cheap (there's even a $4 Android rofl), so if you want to go over to greener pastures, then you can go there via secondary phone, but keep your W10M device in case you'd still like to visit Mordor. Or, if you feel that W10M is sufficient for your needs, then stay. There's nothing wrong with it, your life will still go on as usual, and if you encounter any problems, I can bet 5000 imaginative dollars that you're not the only one, and hence can find others who share your problems here in this very forum.

Have a nice day, folks! Now I'm gonna go out and live my life with my beloved 950. Ciao~

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ahhhh, woke up to a fine day, read the forums, and here we go again. Another post about how W10M is dying and how we, the fans, feel about it. Usually I ignore such posts because OP may have no idea how many posts like these are in the forum. Almost a post a day! /rant

Guys, W10M is dying, but it will not be forgotten It will leave it's legacy, as you have already seen how WP 7 and 8.x's well known Live Tiles are now being implemented into Windows 10. IMO, W10M will be used as another 'mode' for Windows 10 in the future via W10 for ARM. From the main site, you can see that Microsoft has patented an idea of a tablet-like device that can be folded into a smaller 'phone' form factor. So imagine a tablet, similar to Surface Pros, able to be transformed into a phone. Would it be practical to use the 'desktop' or 'tablet' mode W10 UI on such a small form factor? To me, it's a big NO. But W10M's interface is very nice. Wait! What if....

Yes. I really believe that W10M is dying, but instead of removing it entirely, Microsoft is trying it's best to phase the "phone" aspect out of W10M (in a sense that they're removing W10M's dependency on a just a phone device), and implement it as a mode for W10. IMO, W10M already has Continuum, where there's a transition of Phone UI -> Desktop UI. I'm guessing that with the Surface Phone, Microsoft is going 'backwards', or more accurately, allow free transition between both; Desktop UI <-> Phone. My reasoning on why this may be the case is because, well, W10M is dying, yet just about a week or two ago Microsoft just released a new build for W10M in the Fast Ring (build 15007). Who in the right mind would still develop something for a dying project?

I'll leave it to all of you to interpret. Also, as many others stated above, different people have different use case of their phone. Some are okay with how things are in the W10M's camp, some aren't. You alone have to decide how to deal with it, what others here say or do shouldn't matter much because at the end of the day, YOU are the one making the choice for YOURSELF, not us. If you feel W10M doesn't suit your needs, then there're Androids or iPhones out there that could better serve you. Want to leave but "not really", then get a secondary phone. Decent Android devices nowadays are dirt-cheap (there's even a $4 Android rofl), so if you want to go over to greener pastures, then you can go there via secondary phone, but keep your W10M device in case you'd still like to visit Mordor. Or, if you feel that W10M is sufficient for your needs, then stay. There's nothing wrong with it, your life will still go on as usual, and if you encounter any problems, I can bet 5000 imaginative dollars that you're not the only one, and hence can find others who share your problems here in this very forum.

Have a nice day, folks! Now I'm gonna go out and live my life with my beloved 950. Ciao~

And get in the habit of reading some tech news. You're NOT a techie if you don't keep up with the news.:winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 15007.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to lose hope and I been windows only since the gimped HTC touch pro 1 on Verizon. I'm going down with the ship tho I hate android and iPhone. Windows just needs more push and support from microsoft, oems and devs

Sent from Idol 4S

...and from consumers. It's like neither consumers, microsoft, oems, or devs want the phone to succeed.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I will most likely leave this year the app gap is getting tiring, and the apps I use the most are FB and messenger. Both the worst experience on this platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The number of apps that have decided to cease support in just the last couple of days is very disturbing. Minecraft, Runtastic and Smart Things are some examples that come to mind. When you add in Amazon, PayPal, eBay, BBM and others it starts looking like a very bad trend. I'll admit, I'm starting to wonder which really important app will be next. That Moto X Pure Edition on sale at Best Buy is starting to look attractive even though I thoroughly dislike Android. Laura, help a brutha out. What's the skinny on this beast.
I'm happy with my Moto X Pure Edition. However, I haven't tried to make it emulate Windows 10 Mobile. The apps I need most are medical (MyChart), local grocery store (since I use their pharmacy and can order refills by taking a picture of the barcode), and for fun things like Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Mixcloud (a music podcast app).

Your mileage may vary, but I'm satisfied with my device.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Moto X Pure Edition. However, I haven't tried to make it emulate Windows 10 Mobile. The apps I need most are medical (MyChart), local grocery store (since I use their pharmacy and can order refills by taking a picture of the barcode), and for fun things like Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Mixcloud (a music podcast app).

Your mileage may vary, but I'm satisfied with my device.

I find that if you try to make something emulate something else, you get a poor experience. Essentially, you spend hours handicapping the things that make one device useful to make it not function like the device you want it to be.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
And get in the habit of reading some tech news. You're NOT a techie if you don't keep up with the news.:winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 15007.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Does reading news from Windows Central (not the forums!) and watching podcasts from YouTube techie channels counts?

Anyway, I don't consider myself a hardcore techie, just an above average consumer that reads a lot about tech stuff. I don't know a lot of details on specific technology i.e. photography, my knowledge comes from just what I read from the things that matter to me such as the progress of Windows 10 and Mobile, gaming, computers, mobile gadgets and accessories, as well as reading USEFUL inputs from other users, either the comments on the Windows Central and other tech sites' articles, their forums, or Reddit.

So, yeah.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
@Rosebank. I know where you are coming from. It's never nice to see the platform you love so much and use on daily basis slowly wither away. Especially when you can see no new devices are coming. Im not sure how many Blackberry 10 users are on this forum, but we are also in a boat with many holes haha. No new devices coming and the updates are sometimes more than 6 months apart. But it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. Sometimes it allows us to explore other options like Android and IOS which we may actually like. :D

I would still keep all your W10M devices in a collection and maybe one day they will be worth a lot since its 'rare'. :)

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
It's not just tech news and online reading that gives me cause for concern, although that is a big factor in my original forum posting, its the app issue and first hand experience of the device failing to do basic tasks, sometimes I cant even get past the lock screen and I am having issues, I have had 3 or 4 reboots just trying to unlock the device or accessing the camera from the phone being locked (a feature of the phone). That aside I know there are things planned for the future but as so many people are leaving I struggle to understand the strategy of this side of the company. I don't like to be negative but more realistic. If Microsoft are aiming for business customers then they need to get it right for the public everyday user first, set an example of efficiency, they are not doing that imho.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my experience. Everything I installed on 8.1 is mostly still here and working. It could be much worse tho. Bluetooth I use in both my personal and work car work but in a different way. I use apps a lot, and they do have some bugs here and there but they do the job. I'll stay and see what MS has planned for the future of WP, and I think it will be more interesting.

Happy user :)

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
This is from another post but Windows Phone is Dying, Hence the reason I switched:

I switched to Android and I would like to share my opinion from fair software experience comparison from both Windows Mobile 10 and Android 6 Marshmallow, along with its pros and cons of each operating system in my opinion.

**Before get started, I would like to layout a solid foundation to keep everyone in their sane mental state. I am not defending Windows Phone, Android, nor iOS in any matter. I am simply laying out my experience and opinions between both mobile phone operating systems.

I would also like to note that I have and during the period have only been using Windows Phones ever since 2011. Yup – 6 Years (boy does time fly). From Windows Phone 7.0 to Windows Mobile 10 (Developers Preview), you name it.

I have had various low, mid, and high end Windows Phones across my 6-year journey Including: Samsung Omnia W, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 525, Nokia Lumia 635, & finally Microsoft Lumia 640. This will be about software experience, for now we will keep hardware performances out of the software discussion as I would like to focus solely on the software experience.

I was there for Microsoft then and I still am supportive for Microsoft today.

Let’s get started….

Why did I switch?
1.Great Deal on unlocked phone & I needed a change.
I found a great deal on a Sony Xperia X Unlocked Phone. I also I think I have been using Windows Phone for a long time so I think mentally it was time for a change.
2.Windows Mobile 10 is ughhh & App Unreliability
Yes, yes, I know what your thinking, “it works well on my phone”, “seems faster”, “I have never had any issues”. If you are saying these in my opinion you are unfairly being blinded by your personal Windows Phone Attachment. I personally think Windows Mobile 10 had great potential but is a failure software wise. There is no good built in integration, and the app reliability and performance is mediocre. How many times must we see this “resuming” screen. I believe Windows 7 Mango was the best, everything was perfect, integration, speed, multi-tasking. I forever support windows phone but Windows Mobile 10 has had various flaws. I still think even the official release should be a beta and not official.
3.App Gap.
Yes, yes, “Windows Phone has a third-party version app…”, “Snapchat is for losers…”, “We don’t need all these apps”. Well that is not the point… The point is that every individual with a mobile phone utilizes various apps for various reasons. In my case useful apps such as American Airlines, Lyft, Amazon, Gmail, YouTube are very useful. These apps are either not reliable on windows phone due to lack of support or updates, or do not exist.

Android 6 OS Experience?
Overall I can say that I am having great experience with Android OS.
Pros?
-Amazing multi-tasking fluidity, smooth OS, various apps with amazing app support. You can be sure to always get the latest updates asap for a long time. Because apps are being more supported you can expect similar apps that have innovative features that are not available on the Windows Mobile 10 platform at all. Look at Messenger(Android) vs Messenger (Windows Mobile 10). Honestly, it’s a joke…. I was even shocked to realize what I have been missing. Amazon even….
-Better software to battery management features.
-Did I mention that Microsoft Services and Apps, are better on Android? ******************

Cons?
-Too many apps to download even. I surprisingly had a little overwhelm with the vast number of android apps available to download.
-Rare App Crashes (very minor).
Windows Mobile 10 Software Experience?
Pros?
-Amazing Live Tiles, and Start Menu Design.
-Great Lock screen interface and icon designs.
Cons?
-Overall stability and un reliability tarnishes the live tile and start menu design.
-Rare App Crashes (very minor).
-Low App Support
- “Resuming” Screen
-Not many OEM Phone Options…

What Surprised me the most…………….
All Microsoft Services & apps are 100000x better on Android than Windows Mobile 10, in terms of features, performance, looks, and UI. This is seriously unacceptable on Microsoft’s part. Let me list a few….
Outlook, Cortana, Bing, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, LinkedIn, Skype, Skype for Business, Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)! Honestly if you are a Microsoft fan, I do not see any reason why you do not switch to Android. Microsoft applications are light years ahead on Android (I’m sure the same goes for iOS).
OH, remember HERE MAPS? That is also available on Android with Offline Maps available. I used this app many times throughout my windows phone journey.
What do I as a Dedicated Windows Phone Fan think about the future or Windows Phone?
Windows Phone as a long way to go in the consumer aspect. Although I love their UI, Microsoft needs to be able to improve their app responsiveness, and their own apps on their platform to make it marketable. There are many signs that Microsoft in my opinion has given up on the consumer market.
Hint**
-low to almost nonexistent app support
-Not much support for other OEM vendors anymore.
-Nokia HMD is supportive of ANDROID now.

Expectation of Surface Phone?

Dead for the consumer market. Possible Success in the enterprise business market.
Will I wait on surface phone…? Maybe. I am excited to see what Microsoft should offer with the Surface Phone. Although the surface phone has promising chip set and hardware potential, that does not necessarily mean developers will go producing Windows Universal Apps for Windows 10 Mobile. In fact I predict that the Surface Phone will only be useful in business/enterprise level like the HP Elite 3 with the dock station support.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is doing the best it can right now, in light of what has become a bad position for Mobile.

However there attack on the issue is the right one......get out of doing the grunt work of Phones, fix broken relationships with former Hardware makers, and let them battle it out to see who can start to push out devices.

Work magic with the software, as they are showing this is in the works already.
Windows for RT and Continuum have been dress rehearsals for the Magic that is going to pop down the road.

Look around at PC/Tablet Makers who have adopted Surface like Features into their Product line. Surface for how good it is, is still a limited run Working Concept/Benchmark for other builders to then pick up on and change into to put out Hardware.

The soon to be "Surface Phone" ( which is going to be a Device that has Phone Features), is going to cut into new ground.

The One Windows Concept is only partly formed right now.....however It is going to stress a One Device to do it all theme.

Windows 10 on Arm with x86 Emulation is going to first gain attention with Business People, as CFO's are going to see 1 device that can cover 3 bits of Hardware....A Device that can be a Phone/Tablet/PC for the Mobile Rep at a price that will cost less then a Phone + Tablet + PC.

Now add the news the Windows 10 Shell is going to be adaptive to how your using your device, this will catch the Business Person and the Die Hard Windows Fan.

Add in Samsung won a Patent for a device that will dual boot Win10 and Android, tells me Samsung has advance knowledge of what is to come, and now seeing Microsoft set aside the push to build outside of the Surface Line takes pressure off the Hardware makers.

Windows 10 for mobile may pass into the night like Windows RT, but One Windows is in truth not here yet.

I think the future is safe, but truly I don't think the fire works have started yet, as Microsoft is just getting close now to light the fuse that is going to change the Landscape a little!!!!!

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
When i first joined this platform (although been working closely with all the windows versions on the desktop side) I was prepared to take a gamble, and I knew full well the app gap was a major issue, I went ahead and purchased my 950. What I have come to realise since that purchase is that apps are essential in getting the most from your SMARTphone, it can be simple things like bus times app to Grocery app or even a game or Tethering app like PDAnet that simply does not exist for windows phone. This limitation can have a crippling effect on an individuals user experience, and again the app issue is slowly grinding me down, the full potential of these windows devices is not getting utilised by the App problem. Its a real pitty. I still do admire my 950 but loosing faith on a daily basis, when x86 comes to us on a pocket device (which I know a little bit about) I still doubt MS phones will be the solution to "Everything" , more a one sided solution to cater for some, the lack of App support bolstering up this platform is the major hole in the hull and until that is plugged the ship will continue to sink. I have lasted 3 months without my essential apps but its been a long difficult 3 months, Developers of Apps are pulling apps on a daily basis, I would guess that 99% of people use apps, even the people that say they don't are probably using apps on a daily basis, apps are what makes a standard phone unique and more functional providing more daily life enhancing options, going without apps is a choice and in this day and age MOST people need these apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Most people, though they have many apps, only use 5 or so on a regular basis. If those are essential to your day and productivity then that is extremely important and necessary. People need to assess their own situations.
I get by just fine with what the Windows ecosystem currently has, so I will stick with it and see where it goes. For others it may be a different story. Choice is a good thing.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Most people, though they have many apps, only use 5 or so on a regular basis. If those are essential to your day and productivity then that is extremely important and necessary. People need to assess their own situations.
I get by just fine with what the Windows ecosystem currently has, so I will stick with it and see where it goes. For others it may be a different story. Choice is a good thing.

Sent from mTalk

Well said, I agree.

As a chronic switcher, I noticed this myself with apps. On this platform, I only lack 2. They aren't life or death but they are important for me to have in a phone, as they are enjoyable. One of them can be replaced with a different kind of app which is just fine. The other requires a workaround (battery draining, but still). For that reason, I'm not opposed to using WP/WM. Now if the workaround didn't work at all somehow, I just wouldn't use it.

I really try to use apps that work across all three platforms decently and I can and have, at that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You would not use what? The OS W10M or the App which you cant use anyway if it didn't work.

The OS. Ah, I should clarified that originally. Hopefully the workaround will continue to work. For this particular app, there's either a workaround in whatever OS or it's dead to me.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To add just a dash of positivity to the thread: I just downloaded Grover Pro, a new UWP podcast app that runs on desktop and mobile. Seems to be working perfectly. All's I'm saying is: Win10 and UWP together do in fact bring good apps to the store, and some of them accidentally even run on WP! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon