W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I hate to put this out there but I really do feel this platform is dying and fast too, every day I am hearing about apps no longer supported, phone faults, and update issues, I really wanted to back this platform but I feel (after only 3 months) that things are going from bad to worse, I am even reading that loyal windows phone fans are leaving in large numbers and this is very concerning, I am beginning to regret my purchase (L950).
The platform seems static and no further phones from MS, suspected surface phone in the future but still nothing concreate, anyone else feeling this way? Its like watching a ship sink and being a part of it is not a good feeling. When I first joined W10M I was happy and optimistic but I don't feel that way now. What's more my L950 that cost £250 is now practically worthless as it wont sell as nobody demands the platform and if it did sell it would be for pennies.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There is a lot happening in the background and I think it is premature to say W10 is dying. I understand your frustration but technology changes rapidly and they are planning for the future.

Sent from mTalk

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Rosebank. I don't think there is any hope for Windows Mobile. The dev community reaction after MS released UWP standard was minimal, almost nobody develops for Windows Mobile, there is growing tendency to stop supporting apps that are present in the Store, every day we are informed another application is no longer supported. It's really bad situation and I don't think it have a chance to change in the nearest future.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Its like watching a ship sink and being a part of it is not a good feeling.
Agreed, it's wearing on me a little. If I could find an affordable Pixel or iPhone with 128GB storage or SD card support, wireless charging, a headphone jack, and glance, I'd buy it. In other words, I'm sticking with my 950XL until pigs fly, it seems. :)

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I hate to put this out there but I really do feel this platform is dying and fast too, every day I am hearing about apps no longer supported, phone faults, and update issues, I really wanted to back this platform but I feel (after only 3 months) that things are going from bad to worse, I am even reading that loyal windows phone fans are leaving in large numbers and this is very concerning, I am beginning to regret my purchase (L950).
The platform seems static and no further phones from MS, suspected surface phone in the future but still nothing concreate, anyone else feeling this way? Its like watching a ship sink and being a part of it is not a good feeling. When I first joined W10M I was happy and optimistic but I don't feel that way now. What's more my L950 that cost £250 is now practically worthless as it wont sell as nobody demands the platform and if it did sell it would be for pennies.

Yup, exactly. Now trying to figure out which Android phone to use. I can't stand iOS every time I use it. Sad times at MSFT

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I do like my phone but the app gap is beginning to bug me, I am trying to remain optimistic but running out of patience, its really sad tbh, what really annoyed me was some recent camera instability, I have been recording exercise videos (weight lifting) documenting my progress and in recent days on 2 separate occasions I have pressed record, the video begins to record and when I go back to the phone the flash is still ON but at the phone homepage/live tiles and NO recorded video. This is making me loose confidence in my phones greatest feature.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, it could be worse! And regardless, what you do now is up to you. The 950 is still a competent piece of hardware and I still enjoy some phones coughPalm Pre 2cough despite being virtually frozen in time.

Although you may want to switch it out for a cheaper device before prices fall further if you're worried.

Allan Cantillo M

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I had an old Lumia 930 and I switched to a HTC A9 like 6 months ago. I still have my Lumia 950 XL, but anytime I need an app for example to watch the cameras at my house (MS removed the app vmeye for no age rating), or a smart connector I have in my house I need to use my HTC. I can see how the Netflix is a lot better, or Spotify, and nothing is getting better on Windows side of things. Even their own Minecraft is now frozen in Windows Phone.
I recommend everyone not to be close minded and just accept to get a second device and see it for yourselves. I prefer an Android device, they have very cheap options and they are not that bad. I just hate Apple, so I can't stand an iPhone. But you may differ.
This week the HTC A9 received the update for Nougat and it is so good to see features like "split screen" in a working device, and not waiting Microsoft to implement the thing they introduced like 5 years ago in Windows RT to have it in a Windows Mobile. I think Microsoft just dropped the ball and everybody kicked out very far.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I honestly feel MS are going to pull the plug on W10M how can they continue to develop the Eco system without building more devices?

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I recently got a cheap Android phone, Snapdragon 617, 2/16 GB of memory, 5'2 Full HD screen and although I'm huge Windows Mobile fan I MUST say it's working fantastically well. No lags, great apps, all required API's on the place, everything works as expected, especially fitness apps like Strava or Garmin. My Mi Band 2 finally became a fitness device. Those are things I was waiting for for months on Windows, but they never came. It's annoying and makes me sad, but that's the reality.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm beginning to lose hope and I been windows only since the gimped HTC touch pro 1 on Verizon. I'm going down with the ship tho I hate android and iPhone. Windows just needs more push and support from microsoft, oems and devs

Sent from Idol 4S

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive HR, guess what.....? The app for W10M sucks, it works and syncs 50% of the time, but I was not surprised there. I might just go down with the ship too.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh no question it's dying. Microsoft isn't lining up a Lumia 955 to take the world by storm. This slow (rapid?) burn is - unfortunately - part of Microsoft's bigger strategy. It's not a strategy that any Windows' phone fan likes, but it is an inevitability. Microsoft has lost the pure smartphone race. And to be fair, they were never really in the race, being handily outsold by iOS/Android since WP7 first dropped. Windows on ARM looks to be the future of Windows "phone." Truly portable PCs that come in all form factors including phones. That should be even more apparent given today's news that Microsoft is creating an adaptive shell that should allow Windows to scale between multiple form factors.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes but these things seem too far in the Future, there should be an intermediate device like the 955 you mentioned, giving MS fans some hope and showing commitment, the 950 and 650 are expected to last until a new device comes to fruition, The Elite x3 costs too much for what is essentially a 950xl, better in some aspects and worse in other aspects, now we have to sit and wait 1 year for a new device, (I expect we will hear something in the next few months) and yes the new adaptive shell does show us that Mobile has not been forgotten, but as so many folks are leaving and loosing hope this sinking might jeopardise MS for the future so they need to do something and do it quick if you ask me, Also it needs to be right, I feel if something is rushed it will be a failure and if the loyal MS fans are leaving then who is going to be left to trail a new "Episode" in MS's development.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft did just start selling the Alcatel Idol 4S on their site. It's only $470, so almost half of what the X3 costs. Nice specs on it too. However, I fear it's going to meet another, "while supplies last" fate.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, I think Windows 10 Mobile got degraded to some kind of prototype of Windows 10 for ARM. It only has a strategic use for them as it allows them to work on the ARM side of Windows until Windows ARM become ready.

So, at best Windows 10 Mobile gets scavenged in the future, that could be its final destiny and until then it is usable for business and testing purposes.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft did just start selling the Alcatel Idol 4S on their site. It's only $470, so almost half of what the X3 costs. Nice specs on it too. However, I fear it's going to meet another, "while supplies last" fate.

This, and ordered one last night and have it in my hands today.
Beautiful device at an affordable price. This will easily get me through this year when things will start getting interesting. I've done Android and iPhone. Not going to knock them. Let's just say they're not for me.

Sent from mTalk

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
The "best" thing in Idol is lack of NFC😎 Guys, we are in 21st century, it's ridiculous that a device which aspires to be a high end device lacks NFC. Even my cheap Android phone has NFC on the board so I can use phone to pay with HCE technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss