W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The "best" thing in Idol is lack of NFC😎 Guys, we are in 21st century, it's ridiculous that a device which aspires to be a high end device lacks NFC. Even my cheap Android phone has NFC on the board so I can use phone to pay with HCE technology.

I have had NFC on many devices and have never used it. Won't miss it one bit.

Sent from mTalk

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm using NFC daily to pay with HCE. I used it on my Lumias and using it now on Android device. I thought about taking Idol but had to pass due to lack of NFC module. The second thing are the fitness trackers. Currently nothing is supported on Windows, after the last bastion Runtastic was just recently stopped the support. Used Endomondo, but it crashes very often on Windows 10, Sports Tracker does not have any support, we can dream only about Strava native client, talked to Strava itself, they won't provide an app. There will be no Sports Tracker new app as well. Fitness bands don't work correctly as well so if Windows is not for athletes, not for kids (lacks of games), not for people who want to take some joy like Snapchat or Pokemon GO, so who is it for?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm using NFC daily to pay with HCE. I used it on my Lumias and using it now on Android device. I thought about taking Idol but had to pass due to lack of NFC module. The second thing are the fitness trackers. Currently nothing is supported on Windows, after the last bastion Runtastic was just recently stopped the support. Used Endomondo, but it crashes very often on Windows 10, Sports Tracker does not have any support, we can dream only about Strava native client, talked to Strava itself, they won't provide an app. There will be no Sports Tracker new app as well. Fitness bands don't work correctly as well so if Windows is not for athletes, not for kids (lacks of games), not for people who want to take some joy like Snapchat or Pokemon GO, so who is it for?

You picked a few specific things that may pertain to you and then made a sweeping general statement about everyone.
Look, windows mobile is not for everyone. We all have to make our own decisions. Microsoft themselves say they are focusing on businesses right now. Therefore, Pokémon is not high on their radar.
That doesn't make the Idol a bad device. It seems well made, I'm told has excellent battery life ( more important to me than NFC), and is smooth as butter. For me it will work splendidly.

Sent from mTalk

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Garmin fitness tracker is supported via Garmin connect but as I stated previously its hit and miss syncing, @MichalR.
When I see how well the Android App works for Garmin compared to on the windows version it's rather insulting, my back up Andriod cost £25,Alcatel pixi 3.5 and the App works a treat, my L950 @£250 can't run the App properly due to poor app development with Bluetooth syncing issues.

Last edited:

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I did not make any other comments than about the OS. I used Windows for years, I was one of the first Insiders when the program started. But after about two years of testing I just gave up. It's mainly due to lack of apps. Currently this is a disaster watching like your favorite apps just are removing from the store or loose support. You say MS is focusing on business - come on, what benefits do your see for the business from using Windows Mobile? Give you the example: I'm working in the international corporation, where we use Good corporate technology. There are some apps for email, messenger, digital token made by Good, and for which OS you cannot get one? Obviously for Windows. There is only an old, not updated app for email, but forget about the rest. Not supported, if you want to use it, go to iOS or Android. The same with innovative digital teleconferencing technologies. You can get an app for iOS and Android, but not for Windows. So please don't tell Windows is for business, it is definitely not. Serious business uses Apple or Google devices. And one more thing - Outlook and the built in email client. On Windows taking email from Gmail takes ages, the same takes second on Android. I have tried Outlook for Android as well - had to remove it quickly when I realized that it's not able to open PDF files. Sorry to say, but currently Windows is a joke.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
dont worry, that means you could upgrade to a 100$ x3 or idol not so long from now, maybe nokia throws a bone with their nokia 8 having support for a w10m rom like the xiami 4

thats actually what I've always wanted, microsoft, let me install wp on whatever damn phone I want, they all run pretty much the same class of qualcomm or mediatek chips, there's no longer an excuse for diverse hardware

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Let's hope there is something in the works and Microsoft will surprise everybody. What that is or isn't ? I guess we will know in time.

If Whartonbrooks don't pan out then I will probably get an android device from Nokia and keep my L950 and 650 to use until whenever.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The "best" thing in Idol is lack of NFC😎 Guys, we are in 21st century, it's ridiculous that a device which aspires to be a high end device lacks NFC. Even my cheap Android phone has NFC on the board so I can use phone to pay with HCE technology.
Let's face it tho nfc works on what 2 phones? I could care less the wallet app is crap amd bank support is crap too so nfc isn't a big deal

Sent from Idol 4S

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I've been holding out hope for W10M for over a year now, and not only will my next phone be an Android, I'm pretty close to dropping Microsoft services altogether. I find the Outlook.com interface to be more intuitive than Gmail, but ever since they updated it, data for my contacts has been doing all sorts of stupid stuff. Changing on it's own, deleted contacts reappearing, contacts being duplicated, etc. I don't know where MS is hiring their programmers from but frankly it's garbage.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I use Nfc for my Hd10 screen cast, I have to admit its handy and I use Nfc for connecting to a speaker system, no banking apps exist for the UK, not a single app or bank supported via windows mobile, but Android offer apps for different banks.
The App issue is crippling the windows platform.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1520 more than I should but I don't actually use it because of the app gap. If there were actual apps on windows phone I'd happily use that phone for years.

MichalR

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Same for me, but I have to say I cheated myself saying that Windows has everything I need. It has not, unfortunately. Going to Android I see now how the mobile OS should work. Before Windows I used iOS but lost heart for Apple, mainly due to iTunes which is still required for some things. But I'm still waiting for MS to shock me with Windows, so don't sell my Lumias yet 😎

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Lott of you folks must not read any Tech Media at all. You seem to get all your news here from each other and feed off each others' negative vibes. But you keep coming back here. Is it like misery loves company?

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 15007.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
we just had the release of the x3 and this week the global idol 4s. More phones will be coming in the spring from oems, the OS is updated constantly, the store is not a real issue for me as I can find the apps that I use daily and regularly. Stay optimistic things will improve this year as we go 64bit and devices at the end of the year start going full 10 ARM with mobile.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Same for me, but I have to say I cheated myself saying that Windows has everything I need. It has not, unfortunately. Going to Android I see now how the mobile OS should work. Before Windows I used iOS but lost heart for Apple, mainly due to iTunes which is still required for some things. But I'm still waiting for MS to shock me with Windows, so don't sell my Lumias yet 😎
I feel like in Android the OS controls you. In Windows you control the OS. I have had many Android devices and they are fun to play around with, but too busy. I like clean and efficient.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The number of apps that have decided to cease support in just the last couple of days is very disturbing. Minecraft, Runtastic and Smart Things are some examples that come to mind. When you add in Amazon, PayPal, eBay, BBM and others it starts looking like a very bad trend. I'll admit, I'm starting to wonder which really important app will be next. That Moto X Pure Edition on sale at Best Buy is starting to look attractive even though I thoroughly dislike Android. Laura, help a brutha out. What's the skinny on this beast.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The number of apps that have decided to cease support in just the last couple of days is very disturbing. Minecraft, Runtastic and Smart Things are some examples that come to mind. When you add in Amazon, PayPal, eBay, BBM and others it starts looking like a very bad trend. I'll admit, I'm starting to wonder which really important app will be next. That Moto X Pure Edition on sale at Best Buy is starting to look attractive even though I thoroughly dislike Android. Laura, help a brutha out. What's the skinny on this beast.
I took you for a Jedi.... now here you are askin' Laura for help. What gives!?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I took you for a Jedi.... now here you are askin' Laura for help. What gives!?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
She gotz the MXPE. But since you're offering, I'm also considering the S7 Edge. Gimme the straight up 411.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
She gotz the MXPE. But since you're offering, I'm also considering the S7 Edge. Gimme the straight up 411.

I have mine stripped down and "nothin'" but the apps I use ready to hand on home screen 2 mostly -only the MOST important on the Home Page. It looks very 'executive' and there's nothin' that I use (so that I know of) that doesn't hum.

Now if you need apps and other stuff for kids, wife, etc. just put it on the 3,4th pages.

Overall, personally, it's like a Rolls or a Bentley - yeah a Bently. :smile:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

It also has a GREAT battery with SUPREME fast charging.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos