W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, yes and no.
If you're BlackBerry, yes. You don't have the cash to hang in there for the long run so you smartly convert to a software company before you go bankrupt.
If you're Microsoft, you have enough money to do whatever you want as you are making money in other segments. You can research, plan ahead for future changes. You can help create the next best thing. That investment in the future could easily make up for lack of current sales.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
I hear you and The next Best thing is some way off and has no App support, The next best thing is not going to be that for Normal folks but Business Customers, So its the next best thing for an Elite (plenty cash) Market. Leaving Normal "Joe Public" like us having to switch platforms to get the most from our devices.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I hear you and The next Best thing is some way off and has no App support, The next best thing is not going to be that for Normal folks but Business Customers, So its the next best thing for an Elite (plenty cash) Market. Leaving Normal "Joe Public" like us having to switch platforms to get the most from our devices.

You could be right.
Maybe they'll continue a consumer level platform also. Maybe apps won't be necessary in the future.
I can't claim i fully understand their process and where it will lead. I do know they have a lot of money and if they can include consumers in their plans, they will.
Either way, I don't think we have to worry for a while. Our phones wont stop working.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The platform seems static and no further phones from MS, suspected phones from MS

Microsoft is not a hardware company. They bought Nokia to handle that aspect and it didn't work out as they planned. Get used to the idea of Windows phones from anybody other than Microsoft. The rumored Surface Unicorn is nowhere near a sure thing.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
So are you going to change platforms?
Which one?
You are not beholden to any ecosystem, go with what works for you.
You can always come back.
All phone go down in value ...

I hate to put this out there but I really do feel this platform is dying and fast too, every day I am hearing about apps no longer supported, phone faults, and update issues, I really wanted to back this platform but I feel (after only 3 months) that things are going from bad to worse, I am even reading that loyal windows phone fans are leaving in large numbers and this is very concerning, I am beginning to regret my purchase (L950).
The platform seems static and no further phones from MS, suspected surface phone in the future but still nothing concreate, anyone else feeling this way? Its like watching a ship sink and being a part of it is not a good feeling. When I first joined W10M I was happy and optimistic but I don't feel that way now. What's more my L950 that cost £250 is now practically worthless as it wont sell as nobody demands the platform and if it did sell it would be for pennies.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If you want an iPhone, go buy one and enjoy it.
If you want an android phone, go buy one and enjoy it.
If you want a Windows Phone, go buy one and enjoy it.

Know what you want before you buy something so you are happy with your device. Life is too short to stress over mobile OS's.

If you want to have popular apps like Pokemon Go and Snapchat don't get a windows phone, you will surely be disappointed.

But, if you like to watch and be part of the development of Windows mobile, then you only have one choice. I have a L950xl. I've had it since two months after launch. Yes, its been a bit of a bumpy ride but it most surely has been a fun one. My phone does everything I need it to do. When someone calls me the phone rings and I can answer it. I get texts from people who text me. My calendar syncs across all my devices. I can read email and reply from all 5 of my email accounts. The weather app works. Groove Music works great for me. FB and messenger work well enough. Group Me works. And Edge works for most things. That covers about 95% of what I use my phone for. So Windows Phone seems to work for me. Not only does it work but I really enjoy getting updates and seeing what's new. I like when features are added. Sure, sometimes the updates break things but those issues are usually addressed within a week or so. For me the choice is similar to 'do I buy a new Nissan or Toyota, or do I build my own sporty hot rod?' Sure I could save a lot of time and headaches by buying a new car but there is just something special about the journey of building it from the ground up. So if you need the instant gratification of having all the latest and greatest cookie cutter apps, then get an android or iPhone. Go enjoy it and have fun. But if you like being part of the building and development process, go with Windows and enjoy the ride.

daren629

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by digitaldd
I went Android for a awhile because i got what i considered a decent cheap phone (Honor 5x) unfortunately the company that mnaufactures it (Huawei) had no intention of supporting it beyond releasing a marshmallow upgrade. That seems to be the problem with all non-flagship Android devices (if you pay the $500+ for the flagship you get support for up to 2 years occasionally longer). That's where Apple shines it is common for them to support one of the current generation iPhones for 3years, i guess that is what Apple customers pay the extra money for.

Currently I'm using an Idol 4S, for what its worth best windows phone device I have used so far though i wish the camera had OIS and focused a bit faster, didn't occasionally have issues recognizing that wired headphones were connected, and didn't lose access to the SD card until an app was relaunched.

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap Continuum dock? I though the Microsoft HD-500 Display Dock which came out with the 950 & 950XL would have dropped in price or something instead no one has it anymore even Microsoft won't sell you one of the ones they have in their stores. I just need USB ports/HDMI and DP out/power to charge the USB-C based phone. Now MS is pushing the USB-C laptop/surface docks which are pricey Any suggestions under $50?

Have you looked on eBay? I purchased an open box MS Display Dock for around $60 in December. Mobilefun.com is selling them for about the same price.

mx77

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is not a hardware company. They bought Nokia to handle that aspect and it didn't work out as they planned. Get used to the idea of Windows phones from anybody other than Microsoft. The rumored Surface Unicorn is nowhere near a sure thing.

Yeah, only question is then why MS is pushing out Surface devices? The PC market is anyway well crowded.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
So are you going to change platforms?
Which one?
Android
I have had my L950 up for sale for 2 days now and not a single Text or call showing interest, the device is Grade A, however I will be sticking around this forum to keep tabs on current events etc, :p
Yes all phones go down in Value, I have my device up for a reasonable price, we will see.
Recent camera instability and lock screen issues (resulting in reboots) has forced my hand, I use the camera several times per day and it is letting me down by failing to launch. I do like the L950 but I am only prepared to take so much unwanted grief.
I will buy an s6 or s7.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Android
I have had my L950 up for sale for 2 days now and not a single Text or call showing interest, the device is Grade A, however I will be sticking around this forum to keep tabs on current events etc, :p
Yes all phones go down in Value, I have my device up for a reasonable price, we will see.
Recent camera instability and lock screen issues (resulting in reboots) has forced my hand, I use the camera several times per day and it is letting me down by failing to launch. I do like the L950 but I am only prepared to take so much unwanted grief.
I will buy an s6 or s7.

Good luck to ya Rosebank. Let us know how it goes.

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
There is still hope for Windows Phone. Digging deeper on the plans of Microsoft provides promising investment for windows mobile especially for the Redstone 3 update later this year as it will be focused on mobile division. Besides, surface phone is looming over. Leaks suggests that surface phone is kept tight at microsoft.. 😊
I won't give up my windows Phone hehe

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I do like my phone but the app gap is beginning to bug me, I am trying to remain optimistic but running out of patience, its really sad tbh, what really annoyed me was some recent camera instability, I have been recording exercise videos (weight lifting) documenting my progress and in recent days on 2 separate occasions I have pressed record, the video begins to record and when I go back to the phone the flash is still ON but at the phone homepage/live tiles and NO recorded video. This is making me loose confidence in my phones greatest feature.

Are u on fast ring? Try resetting ur phone back. I am loving the experience on my 2-year old Lumia 930 😀

derekblankmccoy

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I just stubled upon this thread randomly. I found it quite funny after reading the whole thing. I still to this day find it puzzling how Microsoft has a single fan or follower. They are the Ford and Macdonald's of the software world

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I just stubled upon this thread randomly. I found it quite funny after reading the whole thing. I still to this day find it puzzling how Microsoft has a single fan or follower. They are the Ford and Macdonald's of the software world

Haha! Right! Maybe in your place that is the case.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Good luck to ya Rosebank. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks bud, pleasure corresponding with you on here.

Are u on fast ring? Try resetting ur phone back. I am loving the experience on my 2-year old Lumia 930 ??????
Production builds, Reset yes, I cant ever replicate the fault, but sods law it happens when I am needing to take a picture, 3 strikes and I am now out.

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks bud, pleasure corresponding with you on here.

Production builds, Reset yes, I cant ever replicate the fault, but sods law it happens when I am needing to take a picture, 3 strikes and I am now out.

Strange. Did u use windows recovery tool? Usually after u reset ur phone using the tool u must first update everything (apps and OS) before joining the insider. That fixed a lot of issue of my phone. Production build is Insider Release Preview right? I'm on the same build.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Production build is Insider Release Preview right? I'm on the same build.

No the production build is what is designed to be put on the products as the finished product build, Not insider release preview.
Production is, to my understanding, the default set-up. Think of it as stable. To answer your question:

Release Preview – Best for Insiders who enjoy getting early access to updates for the Current Branch, Microsoft applications, and drivers, with minimal risk to their devices, and still want to provide feedback to make Windows devices great.

I like Ford, I have owned two Cosworths, I love Mcdonalds, especially the Bigmac, I am glad you have enjoyed the thread but those comparisons don't add up for me, sorry. Ford and Mcdonalds have been around a long time and Hugely successful like Microsoft is too.

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
No the production build is what is designed to be put on the products as the finished product build, Not insider release preview.
Production is, to my understanding, the default set-up. Think of it as stable. To answer your question:

Release Preview – Best for Insiders who enjoy getting early access to updates for the Current Branch, Microsoft applications, and drivers, with minimal risk to their devices, and still want to provide feedback to make Windows devices great.

Strange. Production builds should be the STABLE builds of the OS. Anyway, try Insider Release Preview 👌

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99