W10M is dying right in front of my eyes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
You just need to do clean install.. I never had a problem with the preview builds except for the fastring ofcourse.
Listen Neil, with all due respect I have done way too many resets, back to factory settings, I have build the system up in multiple ways, i have spent hours upon hours researching and diagnosing, to be blunt this product is in my view -borderline not fit for purpose, there are instabilities all over the platform, not just my issue, If MS could get these ironed out and make the OS more stable etc etc, I appreciate you have had a smooth ride, that's great, but put yourself in the position of someone that is not having a smooth ride, how much would YOU take before you had enough?

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Listen Neil, with all due respect I have done way too many resets, back to factory settings, I have build the system up in multiple ways, i have spent hours upon hours researching and diagnosing, to be blunt this product is in my view -borderline not fit for purpose, there are instabilities all over the platform, not just my issue, If MS could get these ironed out and make the OS more stable etc etc, I appreciate you have had a smooth ride, that's great, but put yourself in the position of someone that is not having a smooth ride, how much would YOU take before you had enough?

Ummmm. I don't mind how much.. hehe. but there's always a way especially for a 950. U just need to be patient*in looking.*I am just helping.. sorry. :)
and*btw, your the 10000000000000th person who misspelled my name T.T

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Ummmm. I don't mind how much.. hehe. but there's always a way especially for a 950. U just need to be patient*in looking.*I am just helping.. sorry. :)
and*btw, your the 10000000000000th person who misspelled my name T.T
If yor daily driver was causing you problems with say call handling or SMS you would be the same as anyone else, consider your options, sorry for the name misspelling it was the L950 using auto correct ;-)

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
If yor daily driver was causing you problems with say call handling or SMS you would be the same as anyone else, consider your options, sorry for the name misspelling it was the L950 using auto correct ;-)

But I see u have*the Idol 4s! I want the 950 for the continuum :(....

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Have you looked on eBay? I purchased an open box MS Display Dock for around $60 in December. Mobilefun.com is selling them for about the same price.

I got lucky I obtained one over the weekend, a friend works for a company that was evaluating making the Lumia 950 their default device for their sales team, they didn't go through with it since Continuum's still very immature in their opinion. I really think MS should have kept selling these even if they only offered them online. Unfortunately $100 was a bit much but $50-60 would be close to what similar devices go for, i love the heft of it as it is heavy enough to keep a stiff HDMI cable in place. It works well with any USB-C device running windows.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

OBVIOUSLY you have a defective device, you can rebuild and restore 100x and it won't fix your problem... but what niel is trying to say, is that most instances (99%), a factory restore or restore with the MS app will fix all problems except hardware... doesn't mean WM10 is no good or not stable... you're making that statement based on your defective device and making a broad statement that all of WM10 is not stable... which is farthest from the truth... niel and myself and a TON others are enjoying our 950XL problem free... only time I ever start having problems is when I start dabbling with these fast ring builds... now that I restored to production build my device is working as intented... maybe its time to get another device replacement...just saying... when you start using a 950XL that is working properly and no hardware defects your tune will change about wm10...

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
OBVIOUSLY you have a defective device, you can rebuild and restore 100x and it won't fix your problem... but what niel is trying to say, is that most instances (99%), a factory restore or restore with the MS app will fix all problems except hardware... doesn't mean WM10 is no good or not stable... you're making that statement based on your defective device and making a broad statement that all of WM10 is not stable... which is farthest from the truth... niel and myself and a TON others are enjoying our 950XL problem free... only time I ever start having problems is when I start dabbling with these fast ring builds... now that I restored to production build my device is working as intented... maybe its time to get another device replacement...just saying... when you start using a 950XL that is working properly and no hardware defects your tune will change about wm10...

No it wont, I suggest you read the entire thread, i explained i have factory reset etc and that the fault cant be replicated. To say my words are furthest from the truth is quite something, there are lots of well documented issues with every build release, The only mention of Fast release was from Niel and i have never ever been a part of them, perhaps you could help him better understand the differences between them all as it seems he has some confusion over them.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been a hard fast Windows and Microsoft supporter for years.
I am a Microsoft technologies developer and have been working in this universe for over 10 years.
Heck I even built my own Windows mobile app and I absolutely love it.

With that said, I'm just about at the give up point on the platform.
My favorite apps keep getting pulled from the store and/or they announce that they are no longer supporting the existing app.
I've stopped getting builds on my 950xl and it seems like the phone is getting continually worse in its stability. I have to reset it daily or I get freezes, battery drains, app crashes, etc......

Just yesterday the Facebook app stopped working right and failed to post. Even after 2 reboots it still would not make a post.
OneDrive sync with my photo's is beyond frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason to when and what it decides to sync.
Notification system is buggy and random. I can go hours without a single notification and then for a seemingly random reason the phone will spit out tons of notifications from all different apps all at the same time.
Live tiles, even my own apps, are getting worse about updating properly. I cannot seem to figure out why they stop updating sometimes.
Groove has stopped working properly for me. If I try any kind of artist or album search the app freezes then crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Its just a growing list of frustrations, lack of communication from Microsoft, and a seemingly worsening lack of support from all directions.

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
No it wont, I suggest you read the entire thread, i explained i have factory reset etc and that the fault cant be replicated. To say my words are furthest from the truth is quite something, there are lots of well documented issues with every build release, The only mention of Fast release was from Niel and i have never ever been a part of them, perhaps you could help him better understand the differences between them all as it seems he has some confusion over them.

NAH.. no need. I just didn't*understand the PRODUCTION BUILD maybe*because I*always join up insiders. Besides, I experienced problems with the fast ring build and I experienced ur problems that is why I reverted back thru the recovery tool and chose INSIDER RELEASE rather than fast ring.. Have you tried the INSIDER PREVIEW? Maybe that will fix ur L950 if it is not the hardware that is causing the problem.

Niel A

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
It always depend on what build u signed up for. I believe Microsoft always*put warnings on every build they release. But I don't know. as for me I always find solutions for most, if not all, of*the problems I encountered.*If you're*in fast ring, big chances that there will be more bugs and*stability issues. That's why I joined up insider release preview only.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I am a Microsoft technologies developer and have been working in this universe for over 10 years.

My favorite apps keep getting pulled from the store and/or they announce that they are no longer supporting the existing app.
I've stopped getting builds on my 950xl and it seems like the phone is getting continually worse in its stability. I have to reset it daily or I get freezes, battery drains, app crashes, etc......

Just yesterday the Facebook app stopped working right and failed to post. Even after 2 reboots it still would not make a post.
OneDrive sync with my photo's is beyond frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason to when and what it decides to sync.
Notification system is buggy and random. I can go hours without a single notification and then for a seemingly random reason the phone will spit out tons of notifications from all different apps all at the same time.
Live tiles, even my own apps, are getting worse about updating properly. I cannot seem to figure out why they stop updating sometimes.
Groove has stopped working properly for me. If I try any kind of artist or album search the app freezes then crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Its just a growing list of frustrations, lack of communication from Microsoft, and a seemingly worsening lack of support from all directions.
I could not agree more and its hurtful to say it, I am a Microsoft Consultant and have been with MS since before Mobile was even thought of, I am saddened by the platform that is causing a massive haemorrhage to the company and its future plans, W10M is going to drag MS mobile down with it. All future plans are in jeopardy because of this abysmal Mobile scenario.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

you're not getting MY POST, I suggest you re-read... I stand by my remark.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
you're not getting MY POST, I suggest you re-read... I stand by my remark.
Your refusal to acknowledge this as a OS Glitch and Determined view that this was Hardware and not software, resulted in me not being too interested to argue, I know this is a software issue. How about you read the previous comments, are they all hardware related too? There is something not quite right between W10M and mobile devices, its almost there, but not quite, and in todays world, its not good enough.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

let me ask you this, is all your apps installed to your SD card, or main? if the former, then that's your problem, I find apps CANNOT be installed to the SD because I find the SD card makers make crappy cards nowadays ESPECIALLY Lexar... if you have them installed to main and you're still having trouble then it might be some other underlying problem. but for me all my apps work perfectly fine as they do on my GF's 950, and the only complaint I have for an app is FB as that takes forever to load. but it does work perfectly fine... FOR ME. I don't use FB enough probably to see if it will give me any trouble. but my GF uses FB all the time and the only complaint is that it takes too long to open up.

secondly I agree that there is a HUGE app gap and that is getting wider and wider everyday with apps being dropped everyday or not updated or what have you, MS needs to get their @$$ in gear and DO SOMETHING about this. I personally don't have a problem with this as I have everything I need.. so far, but others are having a serious problem with this and this for me is one of the biggest turn offs about WM. I'm 100% positive that if MS store had a plethora of apps then they wouldn't be in the low 1% user rate.

thirdly I foresee when/if in the future when MS gets this UWP apps sorted out and finalized with in conjunction of continuum and the Surface phone with the Arm processor with full windows integrated to take all advantages of apps regardless of what they are (mobile/x86) and having a kick @$$ hardware in the phone AND a mature WM10, ONLY then will we see MS winning back some of the users of smart phones and their percentage will increase... but only time will tell I guess... here's hoping MS gets it right FINALLY :wink:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Your refusal to acknowledge this as a OS Glitch and Determined view that this was Hardware and not software, resulted in me not being too interested to argue, I know this is a software issue. How about you read the previous comments, are they all hardware related too? There is something not quite right between W10M and mobile devices, its almost there, but not quite, and in todays world, its not good enough.

if that were true buddy then ALL OF US would be seeing these problems you're having... my phone with A PLETHORA of others are working perfectly fine, some even with the beta release fast rings are working problem free *Gasp* but for my phone I seem to be having weird quirks when I install beta fast ring... as others too, not just me. my phone being on production release is absolutely glitch/trouble free and I'm perfectly content with my phone also another tid bit, my GF's 950 is also trouble free and has had not ONE problem since I restored it using the MS restore app.. but when I first bought her phone which had the beta fast ring, it had a couple of problems. now nothing

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
let me ask you this, is all your apps installed to your SD card, or main?

I learned very quickly to never install apps on a SD card (this applies to Android as well its not just WM that is terrible at it).

My storage goes as follows:
Apps, maps, and downloads: Always on the device
Music, videos, photos: Always on the SD card

This keeps the form performing at its best and also gives you the flexibility of using your SD card in any device and keeping the content you need to move around on a easily transportable medium.

When Windows mobile went to the backups on the cloud it made this setup even better. It meant restoring from backups went smooth and quick and I could not rely on having a SD card in the slot to get the backup done.

eks1910

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
My first smart phone was the HTC M8 (Win7), I loved it with the exception of it not having MicroSD expansion slot. As soon as Win8 was available waited patiently for Verizon to kick up the upgrade which never happened, so I signed up for the Developer Program even though I’m not a app developer, install Win8, and really loved the new perks that came with Win8. About a year before my 2 year renewal came up with Microsoft starting talking about the FREE upgrade to Win10, that got me even more excited to be a Windows Phone user. As my contract with Verizon approached I started looking at newer Windows Phones under Verizon, settled on the Lumia 735 as that was a sure bet to get Win10 when it would come out. Waited and waited, and was getting disappointed that the release was delayed for over 6 months after getting my Lumia 735 than finally the RL came out, but Verizon wasn’t releasing, and giving all of us who were asking a bunch double talk, saying the delay is Microsoft, not them, while Microsoft claimed it is out there for all carriers to push. So once again because Verizon wasn’t releasing it I signed up for the Insider Program that put Win10 on my phone. Now as I approach towards the homestretch of another completion of a 2 year contract I’m just not seeing any new Windows Phones, Verizon went from at one point of have 4 different phones to just the Microsoft Lumia 735, which come August unless they get a new model I will be moving over to an Android phone. I’m really hoping that Verizon gets a new Windows phone to add to their list of smartphones for sale, but sadly I’m not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6