Change Lumia 830 RM-984 to Lumia 830 RM-985 by flashing firmware?

shanchri

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I recently purchased a Lumia 830 (RM-984) that seems to have originally been configured for Italy. I live in Ontario, Canada.
The phone is working well (I'm with Rogers service provider) in all respects but one. I am unable to download Speech or Keyboard for either Canada or United States. They simply won't download on this phone.So if I set Region to Canada(English), Cortana does not work.
I've been working with various tech support people (in Microsoft's call centre in India) and they seem unable to help me get the Canadian or American Speech/Keyboard to download. Italian Speech/Keyboard seemed to be default when I got phone. After many hours work I was able to get English (United Kingdom) to download. I can't remove the Italian language. I have managed to get English (British) Keyboard/Speech pack to download.
I believe the problem lies in firmware. Even though I used Microsoft Recovery Tool to take phone back to Win8.1, then install Win10, then update to latest version of Win10Mobile, the firmware has never changed from the original.
The complete model # of phone is: 059W554* RM-984* VAR EURO CV IT
The firmware is: 02177.00000.15184.36004

My question is: Has anybody out there purchased a RM-984 (meant for European market), and somehow flashed it with firmware meant to be on a RM-985 (North American) Lumia 830?
The complete model number that goes with the firmware I think I should install on my phone is:
059W5G2 RM-985 RAR NAM CA ROGERS SLV SL* (I'm pretty sure the silver colour in the code will be irrelevant)
I have downloaded the Nokia Care Suite and have found this firmware:
List of Firmware*-*Click to download

02040.00021.15235.53001 -*No Date

Model info

Phone model:*Lumia 830
PackageTitle:*RM-985 VAR NAM CA ROGERS SLV SL
Product Code:*059W5G2
manufacturerHardwareModel:*RM-985
Last Firmware:*02040.00021.15235.53001

Like I said earlier, my phone all works great, and I like it a lot. I don't like British Regional settings (converting pounds to $, listening to British speaker for text-to-speech; wondering if the speech recognition is poor because Cortana doesn't understand my version of spoken English).* I'm hesitant to experiment with this, and would love to hear from anyone out there who bought a European 830 and somehow managed to get Cortana working. I don't care if I use English(Canada) or English(United States) by the way.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte