What would YOU do with Windows 10 on ARM

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The benefits of Windows 10 on ARM are going to be seen mostly in thinner, lighter longer lasting 2 in 1's, on a phone there are hardly any. The question is, if the point is to be more "mobile" why would you want a solution that only works in a static environment that has a keyboard and mouse?

That's not what I said, and that wouldn't be the case. I've already given an example where I would be looking at a benefit rather than anything else, even without peripherals.

It may be good for those rare emergencies when nothing else is available but the advantage will be had from having a truly mobile Windows device.

The moment your solution requires you to be dependent on anything else it becomes less efficient than a solution that has all components present. Which is the better solution for someone waiting in an airport lounge; having to hunt for a desk with a keyboard and mouse or pulling out your ultra thin 2 in 1 with all your data present and getting to work right away?

But it's not limited to those two options though. W10ARM allows a user to access software;

- using a phone with a sufficient CPU
- using a phone with a sufficient CPU + dumb terminal (keyboard/mouse)

Now, already we can see something that mimics real-life currently. People currently use internet terminals at airports,so since that's already there, at least conceptually it'd be an improvement, right? Rather than me using the supplied CPU of the airport I could use my phone and their peripherals. But in addition to that;

- using a phone with a sufficient CPU + wireless keyboard + VR gear
- using a phone with a sufficient CPU + dumb laptop (i.e. what the X3 does now, but with full Windows)

Now, you ask me I would rather get the phone with a W10ARM capable CPU and then ADD any of the above as needed. If I buy this ultra-portable 2-in-1 I'm still stuck with a phone as well. At least now i have the option of choosing what to bring according to my expectations.

And speaking of that, going back to my previous example, that last time I brought my laptop with me it was a Saturday where I expected to possibly do some work while at the same time wanting to play poker at my friends place. In this case it would have been far better for me to just bring a phone and then be able to borrow my friends peripherals to do the job. The HP X3-type 'dumb' laptop peripheral would be a good choice simply because it'd be lighter and cheaper with fewer components in it (or with a better screen) AND because I could leave it behind if I wanted to.

Again one can ask a converse question; Why would I not want that flexibility?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The benefits of Windows 10 on ARM are going to be seen mostly in thinner, lighter longer lasting 2 in 1's, on a phone there are hardly any. The question is, if the point is to be more "mobile" why would you want a solution that only works in a static environment that has a keyboard and mouse? It may be good for those rare emergencies when nothing else is available but the advantage will be had from having a truly mobile Windows device.

The moment your solution requires you to be dependent on anything else it becomes less efficient than a solution that has all components present. Which is the better solution for someone waiting in an airport lounge; having to hunt for a desk with a keyboard and mouse or pulling out your ultra thin 2 in 1 with all your data present and getting to work right away?

Think of the cost savings though and the ability to have dummy devices in a lot of places where you might not want to spend the money on a computer. I can see a great benefit to this rather than always having to carry a larger device everywhere.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Think of the cost savings though and the ability to have dummy devices in a lot of places where you might not want to spend the money on a computer. I can see a great benefit to this rather than always having to carry a larger device everywhere.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

I can imagine a future where corporations choose to get employees one such phone and furnish them with either a dumb laptop and/or a dock at work, which should offer clear savings corporation-wide. If the alternative is getting one iPhone, one laptop and then having an iMac at your office workstation for example then clearly having one W10ARM phone and a dumb terminal is cheaper. Then keep it all on the cloud.

passin

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I would use this device for mobile work.

Since my company uses specific software, I would load that on it so I can hook up to a monitor and check things quickly. I usually have a Bluetooth keyboard I carry around with me so it all works out perfectly.

We also use an internet based firewall and VPN, I would be able to install those on work devices and keep them more compliant with where I want security to be.

Next I would get with our help desk system and see if they would design a mobile UWP for it so we could answer tickets from anywhere.

Once wireless displays auto tether (I'm just assuming after a pair it will auto-tether like Bluetooth) you could use this in place of signing into a PC. Just walk up to the display you use for work and sit down, give the phone time to connect and start working. This would eat a lot of battery to be on though, same with win32 apps running so the battery in this thing would have to be out of this freaking world.

Other than these more minor changes, which would still be plenty nice to do and help a lot in the long run, it would be the same. Light email and texting on the go. Calendar checks and passing time during the day with little things as I pretend to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)