02-24-2017 05:43 PM
65 123
tools
    Hehe, did that swipe a lot :) Z10 and Passport for some time, OS7 Bold before, so I see your point Tim. Am also trying to swipe backwards to delete a lot :)

Yet, W10m feels like home.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-06-2017 10:12 PM
    Great choice. You will have to come back here and tell us HONESTLY how many times you swipe up to close an app.
    100s I imagine. When I pick up my wife's S6, I start swiping on it to close all her apps before I remember the tile button.
    fatclue_98 and Kot Prada like this.
    02-07-2017 03:08 AM
    Hello fellow members.
    I would like to share my story with you, please know this is just my personal opinion.

I wanted to replace my BlackBerry Z10 since WhatsApp will not support BB10 anymore. I have been using a Lumia 635 which I received from work but I really hate the Lumia 635 because it is very slow and if I open multiple apps when I want to multi-task the apps keep "Resuming", also if a webpage is too big IE just closes... you know what I am talking about.

Not a big fan of apps myself, the only thing I am missing is a banking app. For messaging I only use WhatsApp and SMS.
    I decided to buy a Lumia 950 XL mainly for the price, big screen and WhatsApp support. I ordered one online and received it on a Saturday. The phone came with a drained battery (I guess it was standing in stock for a long time). Another issue I found was that I could not sync my Gmail contacts with the phone, only after two factory resets the contacts synced with the phone.

Unfortunately I quickly realized that for me there is no difference between BB10 and Windows 10, except for a further support for WhatsApp. There is nothing I could not do on my current BlackBerry. One thing I admired was the integration with my PC and OneDrive, that is a nice experience.
    Another thing that scared me was noticing that the battery life is not that great, I suspected that the battery was damaged since it stayed drained for too long.

In the end I returned the 950 XL because frankly, for me it provides the same functionality as BB10, web surfing and mobile web pages instead of apps. Oh and on BB10 I use CascaRun to track my skiing and after I can upload the gpx files to Runtastic. I am using the android version of Runtastic to keep track of everything because I also use Runtastic Squats, Pushups, etc. After I returned the phone I found out that Runtastic has dropped support for Windows phones as well, darn it.

Now, I will probably wait until WhatsApp will no longer work on my phone and then decide where to next, really hoping for Microsoft to improve the app gap!
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-07-2017 06:03 AM
    I've.moved on from.bb10 to Lumia 950 and quite happy with it. Yes W10M has a lot of apps missing like bb10, but I wouldn't say its the same as my old blackberry. In fact in actually turned on my z30 for dun the other day. Found it extremely slow. Camera on 950 is easily the best in the market. With mozo back cover It's a nicer looking phone. Battery will settle down after a few days.

You need to give it a try for a week or so to appreciate the phone

Sent from mTalk
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-07-2017 08:29 AM
    For sure the better phone is the 950 XL, but for the 333€ price difference I preferred to stick to my old phone.
    One thing that I needed on W10 was the ability to search inside the calendar. Since Cortana only speaks English when I tried to search a calendar entry in my native language a web search was displayed instead... pretty annoying.
    02-07-2017 08:55 AM
    One thing that I needed on W10 was the ability to search inside the calendar.
    Some other thread taught me about Search Total for calendar searches, this was nice to get a list of everything it found.
    02-07-2017 02:33 PM
    Got the used 950XL delivered today. Its in great shape. But dammit, the gomers sent a usb micro cable instead of a usb-c. The battery is flat dead so no testing it yet. I don't have any mirco to C adapters. I bought it from CEX in Ireland. Waiting their email reply about it.
    libra89, fatclue_98 and zocster like this.
    02-08-2017 07:20 AM
    Got the used 950XL delivered today. Its in great shape. But dammit, the gomers sent a usb micro cable instead of a usb-c. The battery is flat dead so no testing it yet. I don't have any mirco to C adapters. I bought it from CEX in Ireland. Waiting their email reply about it.
    Well surprise surprise!
    libra89 and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-08-2017 12:31 PM
    That is upsetting! Hope you find a quick solution (cable or adapter).

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    libra89 and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-08-2017 01:58 PM
    That is upsetting! Hope you find a quick solution (cable or adapter).

My display dock arrived today and it had a USB C charger.

Getting to know this thing. Yes, I do miss the hub. Email management seems rudimentary but hope it is tweakable. Haven't used a VKB since my Z10. Getting used to that again.

Posting from the Windows Central app. It was the second thing I downloaded after skype.
    libra89, TgeekB and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-09-2017 09:59 AM
    Hello fellow members.
    I would like to share my story with you, please know this is just my personal opinion.

I wanted to replace my BlackBerry Z10 since WhatsApp will not support BB10 anymore. I have been using a Lumia 635 which I received from work but I really hate the Lumia 635 because it is very slow and if I open multiple apps when I want to multi-task the apps keep "Resuming", also if a webpage is too big IE just closes... you know what I am talking about.

Not a big fan of apps myself, the only thing I am missing is a banking app. For messaging I only use WhatsApp and SMS.
    I decided to buy a Lumia 950 XL mainly for the price, big screen and WhatsApp support. I ordered one online and received it on a Saturday. The phone came with a drained battery (I guess it was standing in stock for a long time). Another issue I found was that I could not sync my Gmail contacts with the phone, only after two factory resets the contacts synced with the phone.

Unfortunately I quickly realized that for me there is no difference between BB10 and Windows 10, except for a further support for WhatsApp. There is nothing I could not do on my current BlackBerry. One thing I admired was the integration with my PC and OneDrive, that is a nice experience.
    Another thing that scared me was noticing that the battery life is not that great, I suspected that the battery was damaged since it stayed drained for too long.

In the end I returned the 950 XL because frankly, for me it provides the same functionality as BB10, web surfing and mobile web pages instead of apps. Oh and on BB10 I use CascaRun to track my skiing and after I can upload the gpx files to Runtastic. I am using the android version of Runtastic to keep track of everything because I also use Runtastic Squats, Pushups, etc. After I returned the phone I found out that Runtastic has dropped support for Windows phones as well, darn it.

Now, I will probably wait until WhatsApp will no longer work on my phone and then decide where to next, really hoping for Microsoft to improve the app gap!
    I love Z10... but, even Lumia 640 feels much faster, than Z10. Also, using Android apps on BB10 is an incredible pain in a**.
    02-09-2017 10:40 AM
    My display dock arrived today and it had a USB C charger.

Getting to know this thing. Yes, I do miss the hub. Email management seems rudimentary but hope it is tweakable. Haven't used a VKB since my Z10. Getting used to that again.

Posting from the Windows Central app. It was the second thing I downloaded after skype.
    Cool! Congratulations! I think, mail management and Hub will be the only problem... but we will get used ;)
    How is the screen comparing to Z10? Isn't XL too big after XL? How is Windows Hello? And... how is VKB on it? Did You test that moving-finger-across-keyboard (I don't know how is it called in Windows 10)?
    02-09-2017 10:44 AM
    Cool! Congratulations! I think, mail management and Hub will be the only problem... but we will get used ;)
    How is the screen comparing to Z10? Isn't XL too big after XL? How is Windows Hello? And... how is VKB on it? Did You test that moving-finger-across-keyboard (I don't know how is it called in Windows 10)?
    Mostly just getting my accounts setup. I don't know what Win Hello is but will find out. No swipe on the VKB so still awkward for me. Screen is excellent. Skype is excellent. My team and I are in various places around the world and use a group chat all day. I just had a nice talk with one of them using my blue tooth headset, while he screen shared an excel file with me. The Berry would have choked on that.
    fatclue_98 and Kot Prada like this.
    02-09-2017 11:47 AM
    Mostly just getting my accounts setup. I don't know what Win Hello is but will find out. No swipe on the VKB so still awkward for me. Screen is excellent. Skype is excellent. My team and I are in various places around the world and use a group chat all day. I just had a nice talk with one of them using my blue tooth headset, while he screen shared an excel file with me. The Berry would have choked on that.
    In all fairness, comparing a Z10's performance to a 950XL is like comparing a Pinto to a 5.0 Mustang. The Passport is no slouch unless you're using Android apps. BTW, the vkb does have swipe but I have no idea how to get it going. I've never used it but it's there.
    Tim-ANC, libra89 and Kot Prada like this.
    02-09-2017 03:05 PM
    Is there anything like the BB10 word shortcuts?
    02-09-2017 03:19 PM
    Is there anything like the BB10 word shortcuts?
    What do you mean? Predictive text?
    02-09-2017 05:20 PM
    Ahh BlackBerry....I remember you well.

libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-09-2017 05:58 PM
    What do you mean? Predictive text?
    More like word sub. Lt punches out local time etc
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-09-2017 06:14 PM
    not like that but there's predictive word choices... so if do something like starting with "what"

I'll see some options to choose like "time, you, are, is" if I pick "time" then it gives you another set of options like "to, do , you, are"

so you can build some sentences by just picking the next word rather than actually typing.
    02-09-2017 10:09 PM
    On BB10 I am able to use speech to text in my native language, Romanian. It actually is accurate! Sometimes I reply to texts while driving and this is easily done by speaking to the phone.
    I searched and posted a question in the forum about this but unfortunately W10 does not understand Romanian :(
    02-10-2017 04:35 AM
    Yes, Word Substitution. Subs I can create for words and phrases I use frequently. If type WC, it types out as Windows Central. I have Phrase Express desk top software that does this too.
    02-10-2017 05:30 AM
    There is something not worse, than BB's keyboard. I've accidentally figured out that on Lumia 640. Instead of typing "H E L L O" by every letter try to move Your finger from "H" to "E", to "L" and so on... and type in that way (with only one touch) the whole phrases of few words. It will paste spaces and substitute needed words for You by itself.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-10-2017 05:54 AM
    There is something not worse, than BB's keyboard. I've accidentally figured out that on Lumia 640. Instead of typing "H E L L O" by every letter try to move Your finger from "H" to "E", to "L" and so on... and type in that way (with only one touch) the whole phrases of few words. It will paste spaces and substitute needed words for You by itself.
    Yes, I stumbled upon this feature yesterday. It is slick. I showed my wife but she was unimpressed. Her old Kindle has had the ability for years
    02-11-2017 02:12 AM
    Yes, I stumbled upon this feature yesterday. It is slick. I showed my wife but she was unimpressed. Her old Kindle has had the ability for years
    That's why I have no wife :D

Just kidding. But the point is not to impress, but to substitute BB's keyboard in speed of typing.
    TgeekB and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-11-2017 06:30 AM
    It took me a while to get used to BB's flick gesture for word prediction but I realized that this method gave more onscreen options compared to iOS or Android and didn't involve swiping the suggestion bar on Windows.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-11-2017 12:28 PM
65 123