Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Did someone here switch from BlackBerry 10 smartphone to Windows10?

BlackBerry now went to Android... and are dead (at least, for me). And I am thinking about Lumia 950/XL after my BlackBerry Z10. I've played with 640 a lot and I like it. Also, I have Windows 10 on my PC's. And waiting for Surface Phone seems pretty unreal for now.

So, how does Windows 10 feel after BlackBerry 10?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
There are similarities. The phone does stuff well, there's a great app that connects the phone to a monitor and keyboard and lets you use it like a computer (sort of like BB Bridge, but better). You'll have the same fun trying to find work around or lookalike apps for some of your favorite apps that are JUST not available for Win10 Mobile, JUST like BB10! lol

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
There are similarities. The phone does stuff well, there's a great app that connects the phone to a monitor and keyboard and lets you use it like a computer (sort of like BB Bridge, but better). You'll have the same fun trying to find work around or lookalike apps for some of your favorite apps that are JUST not available for Win10 Mobile, JUST like BB10! lol
Thank You. I use only WhatsApp on BB10. Just do not need the rest. Preinstalled apps are more than enough for me.

I'm worrying about absence of BB's keyboard with swiping for suggestions, RGB LED notifications and Hub.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm worrying about absence of BB's keyboard with swiping for suggestions, RGB LED notifications and Hub.

That's where the Priv and the upcoming BlackBerry come in. (or the DTEK50/60, although they don't have a physical keyboard, RGB LED) Got all three. Worth looking at.
I frankly enjoy their Android flavor over stock.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
That's where the Priv and the upcoming BlackBerry come in. (or the DTEK50/60, although they don't have a physical keyboard, RGB LED) Got all three. Worth looking at.
I frankly enjoy their Android flavor over stock.
Thank You. I am not talking about PKB. I'm in love with Z10's VKB. But I am considering only Windows 10. Android on BlackBerry is actually the main reason of my switching.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Thank You. I use only WhatsApp on BB10. Just do not need the rest. Preinstalled apps are more than enough for me.

The Windows keyboard is actually pretty good, it's NOT as good, BUT its good! AND guess what app, Win10 mobile DOES support! Whatsapp, NOW I will warn you if you compromise and go for an older Win phone it might NOT support Whatsapp, you need Win 8.1 and above. :) Get the 950 and you are fine. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank You. I am not talking about PKB. I'm in love with Z10's VKB. But I am considering only Windows 10. Android on BlackBerry is actually the main reason of my switching.
A shame, I enjoy BlackBerry's virtual keyboard to. (use it about 70% of the time) Do what you think is best though.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The Passport is awesome. Even though I am a Windows Phone lover I had to buy a Passport just to fool around with. Would give anything for a Windows Phone version of the Passport. The screen would have fit 6 wide Live tiles perfectly. The scrolling feature in the keyboard is amazing and BB OS 10 is pretty cool with all the gestures and features. Haven't used it much but that may change soon as the battery in my 1520 seems to be failing.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The Passport is awesome. Even though I am a Windows Phone lover I had to buy a Passport just to fool around with. Would give anything for a Windows Phone version of the Passport. The screen would have fit 6 wide Live tiles perfectly. The scrolling feature in the keyboard is amazing and BB OS 10 is pretty cool with all the gestures and features. Haven't used it much but that may change soon as the battery in my 1520 seems to be failing.

I owned one also. While I liked it, it was too cumbersome to carry around. It didn't fit in my pocket. Sold it.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It won't be easy to adjust to life without the Hub. There's nothing else like it and the Android version of it is a sorry excuse. The Windows keyboard is very good and it used to be even better. The word prediction is on par with BlackBerry's so you won't miss anything there except you don't flick. The LED, well what can I say, you're gonna miss it. With the 950 you're going to experience photography on a whole new level.

Sent from my Banana Yellow Lumia 1520 via mTalk

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Just like the OP, I'm a big blackberry user with their z10, z30 and leap. Finally had to give up on bb10 and been trying every other phone on the market including all android flagships. Phone such as ggolge pixel, Sony xperia, lg g5 etc have.fantastic hardware but I couldn't stand android. The best android is like you said the dtel50 and 60. Had them for a month and returned it doe the same resone. I found android tpp boring and boring.

So finally needed up with Lumia 950 and loving it. Camera is just amazing and I dont use apps that much. All apps I need are available in the store. The size is perfect for me.

Yes giving up hub is tough. But the live tiles is just great and I found the w10m keyboard very good once you start using it.

So of you're like me, you might like the Lumia and windows os . Give it a try - now you can get them for cheap!!

Sent from mTalk

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning on making the switch soon, to an HP x3 with lapdock. But I'm waiting to see if anything better comes from MWC.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Did someone here switch from BlackBerry 10 smartphone to Windows10?

BlackBerry now went to Android... and are dead (at least, for me). And I am thinking about Lumia 950/XL after my BlackBerry Z10. I've played with 640 a lot and I like it. Also, I have Windows 10 on my PC's. And waiting for Surface Phone seems pretty unreal for now.

So, how does Windows 10 feel after BlackBerry 10?

Hey Kot Prada!, I personally never heard of someone going from Blackberry 10 to W10. Very interesting. It's funny to think that we have Blackberry 10, Windows 10, IOS 10 and then Android 7 lagging behind haha.

I believe the Surface phone will be fantastic but its still quite a while away. I think having a Windows 10 phone and syncing it to your laptop will be quite nice. It's a pity Blackberry Blend isn't what it used to be. You could possibly be throwing yourself in the same pit as BB10 with App selection but if you happy installing 'lookalike' apps as 'pkcable' said, then its a great OS and I'm sure you will be happy with it. You will be used to it in no time :)

Last edited:

GN_Will

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone 10 and Windows 10 for pc have almost the same functions and user interface. You won't have major challenges switching from Blackberry 10. The Windows phone 10 is a great OS.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Funny I am thinking of switching to the BB Mercury when it comes out. The app gap is getting to much for me. Also the apps I use the most FB and FB messenger sucks big time on my Lumia 640

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree, BB10 is awesome... but almost dead. Also, devices with BB10 are also pretty old in terms of hardware.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
It won't be easy to adjust to life without the Hub. There's nothing else like it and the Android version of it is a sorry excuse. The Windows keyboard is very good and it used to be even better. The word prediction is on par with BlackBerry's so you won't miss anything there except you don't flick. The LED, well what can I say, you're gonna miss it. With the 950 you're going to experience photography on a whole new level.
I just found out on 640, that I can just move finger through whole keyboard, not simply typing. And in total I type on 640 probably even faster, than on famous BB keyboard! :D

Also I've found some cool functions on W10 comparing to BB10. And it's weird, since BB10 had been positioned as for business users first of all. But it has no "vibrate when calling" function, which is incredibly useful. You can talk to someone or continue to do something while calling instead of listening while someone will pick up the phone.

Sent from my Banana Yellow Lumia 1520 via mTalk

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Just like the OP, I'm a big blackberry user with their z10, z30 and leap. Finally had to give up on bb10 and been trying every other phone on the market including all android flagships. Phone such as ggolge pixel, Sony xperia, lg g5 etc have.fantastic hardware but I couldn't stand android. The best android is like you said the dtel50 and 60. Had them for a month and returned it doe the same resone. I found android tpp boring and boring.

So finally needed up with Lumia 950 and loving it. Camera is just amazing and I dont use apps that much. All apps I need are available in the store. The size is perfect for me.

Yes giving up hub is tough. But the live tiles is just great and I found the w10m keyboard very good once you start using it.

So of you're like me, you might like the Lumia and windows os . Give it a try - now you can get them for cheap!!

Sent from mTalk
Android is not worth even talking about. But I agree with You: live tiles could be another feature to substitute Hub on par.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo