Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Funny I am thinking of switching to the BB Mercury when it comes out. The app gap is getting to much for me. Also the apps I use the most FB and FB messenger sucks big time on my Lumia 640
I do not use social networks, thus I don't care about Facebook, which is also laggy on BB10. Therefore, no lose for me anyway :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I do not use social networks, thus I don't care about Facebook, which is also laggy on BB10. Therefore, no lose for me anyway :)
I don't book my face much but when I did on BB10 I used Face10 which had Hub notifications. I do miss Blend though. I'm usually on remote locations and access to my desktop without the wonkiness of Remote Desktop was such a plus.

Sent from my Banana Yellow Lumia 1520 via mTalk

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered a used unlocked 950XL and display dock. Should have it delivered in a couple days. Been only BlackBerry for the last 12 years. Currently on a ATT Passport.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a used unlocked 950XL and display dock. Should have it delivered in a couple days. Been only BlackBerry for the last 12 years. Currently on a ATT Passport.

Great choice. You will have to come back here and tell us HONESTLY how many times you swipe up to close an app.

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hehe, did that swipe a lot :) Z10 and Passport for some time, OS7 Bold before, so I see your point Tim. Am also trying to swipe backwards to delete a lot :)

Yet, W10m feels like home.

anon(4216826)

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello fellow members.
I would like to share my story with you, please know this is just my personal opinion.

I wanted to replace my BlackBerry Z10 since WhatsApp will not support BB10 anymore. I have been using a Lumia 635 which I received from work but I really hate the Lumia 635 because it is very slow and if I open multiple apps when I want to multi-task the apps keep "Resuming", also if a webpage is too big IE just closes... you know what I am talking about.

Not a big fan of apps myself, the only thing I am missing is a banking app. For messaging I only use WhatsApp and SMS.
I decided to buy a Lumia 950 XL mainly for the price, big screen and WhatsApp support. I ordered one online and received it on a Saturday. The phone came with a drained battery (I guess it was standing in stock for a long time). Another issue I found was that I could not sync my Gmail contacts with the phone, only after two factory resets the contacts synced with the phone.

Unfortunately I quickly realized that for me there is no difference between BB10 and Windows 10, except for a further support for WhatsApp. There is nothing I could not do on my current BlackBerry. One thing I admired was the integration with my PC and OneDrive, that is a nice experience.
Another thing that scared me was noticing that the battery life is not that great, I suspected that the battery was damaged since it stayed drained for too long.

In the end I returned the 950 XL because frankly, for me it provides the same functionality as BB10, web surfing and mobile web pages instead of apps. Oh and on BB10 I use CascaRun to track my skiing and after I can upload the gpx files to Runtastic. I am using the android version of Runtastic to keep track of everything because I also use Runtastic Squats, Pushups, etc. After I returned the phone I found out that Runtastic has dropped support for Windows phones as well, darn it.

Now, I will probably wait until WhatsApp will no longer work on my phone and then decide where to next, really hoping for Microsoft to improve the app gap!

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I've.moved on from.bb10 to Lumia 950 and quite happy with it. Yes W10M has a lot of apps missing like bb10, but I wouldn't say its the same as my old blackberry. In fact in actually turned on my z30 for dun the other day. Found it extremely slow. Camera on 950 is easily the best in the market. With mozo back cover It's a nicer looking phone. Battery will settle down after a few days.

You need to give it a try for a week or so to appreciate the phone

Sent from mTalk

anon(4216826)

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
For sure the better phone is the 950 XL, but for the 333€ price difference I preferred to stick to my old phone.
One thing that I needed on W10 was the ability to search inside the calendar. Since Cortana only speaks English when I tried to search a calendar entry in my native language a web search was displayed instead... pretty annoying.

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Got the used 950XL delivered today. Its in great shape. But dammit, the gomers sent a usb micro cable instead of a usb-c. The battery is flat dead so no testing it yet. I don't have any mirco to C adapters. I bought it from CEX in Ireland. Waiting their email reply about it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Got the used 950XL delivered today. Its in great shape. But dammit, the gomers sent a usb micro cable instead of a usb-c. The battery is flat dead so no testing it yet. I don't have any mirco to C adapters. I bought it from CEX in Ireland. Waiting their email reply about it.

Well surprise surprise!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
That is upsetting! Hope you find a quick solution (cable or adapter).

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
That is upsetting! Hope you find a quick solution (cable or adapter).

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

My display dock arrived today and it had a USB C charger.

Getting to know this thing. Yes, I do miss the hub. Email management seems rudimentary but hope it is tweakable. Haven't used a VKB since my Z10. Getting used to that again.

Posting from the Windows Central app. It was the second thing I downloaded after skype.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello fellow members.
I would like to share my story with you, please know this is just my personal opinion.

I wanted to replace my BlackBerry Z10 since WhatsApp will not support BB10 anymore. I have been using a Lumia 635 which I received from work but I really hate the Lumia 635 because it is very slow and if I open multiple apps when I want to multi-task the apps keep "Resuming", also if a webpage is too big IE just closes... you know what I am talking about.

Not a big fan of apps myself, the only thing I am missing is a banking app. For messaging I only use WhatsApp and SMS.
I decided to buy a Lumia 950 XL mainly for the price, big screen and WhatsApp support. I ordered one online and received it on a Saturday. The phone came with a drained battery (I guess it was standing in stock for a long time). Another issue I found was that I could not sync my Gmail contacts with the phone, only after two factory resets the contacts synced with the phone.

Unfortunately I quickly realized that for me there is no difference between BB10 and Windows 10, except for a further support for WhatsApp. There is nothing I could not do on my current BlackBerry. One thing I admired was the integration with my PC and OneDrive, that is a nice experience.
Another thing that scared me was noticing that the battery life is not that great, I suspected that the battery was damaged since it stayed drained for too long.

In the end I returned the 950 XL because frankly, for me it provides the same functionality as BB10, web surfing and mobile web pages instead of apps. Oh and on BB10 I use CascaRun to track my skiing and after I can upload the gpx files to Runtastic. I am using the android version of Runtastic to keep track of everything because I also use Runtastic Squats, Pushups, etc. After I returned the phone I found out that Runtastic has dropped support for Windows phones as well, darn it.

Now, I will probably wait until WhatsApp will no longer work on my phone and then decide where to next, really hoping for Microsoft to improve the app gap!
I love Z10... but, even Lumia 640 feels much faster, than Z10. Also, using Android apps on BB10 is an incredible pain in a**.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
My display dock arrived today and it had a USB C charger.

Getting to know this thing. Yes, I do miss the hub. Email management seems rudimentary but hope it is tweakable. Haven't used a VKB since my Z10. Getting used to that again.

Posting from the Windows Central app. It was the second thing I downloaded after skype.
Cool! Congratulations! I think, mail management and Hub will be the only problem... but we will get used ;)
How is the screen comparing to Z10? Isn't XL too big after XL? How is Windows Hello? And... how is VKB on it? Did You test that moving-finger-across-keyboard (I don't know how is it called in Windows 10)?

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Cool! Congratulations! I think, mail management and Hub will be the only problem... but we will get used ;)
How is the screen comparing to Z10? Isn't XL too big after XL? How is Windows Hello? And... how is VKB on it? Did You test that moving-finger-across-keyboard (I don't know how is it called in Windows 10)?

Mostly just getting my accounts setup. I don't know what Win Hello is but will find out. No swipe on the VKB so still awkward for me. Screen is excellent. Skype is excellent. My team and I are in various places around the world and use a group chat all day. I just had a nice talk with one of them using my blue tooth headset, while he screen shared an excel file with me. The Berry would have choked on that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Mostly just getting my accounts setup. I don't know what Win Hello is but will find out. No swipe on the VKB so still awkward for me. Screen is excellent. Skype is excellent. My team and I are in various places around the world and use a group chat all day. I just had a nice talk with one of them using my blue tooth headset, while he screen shared an excel file with me. The Berry would have choked on that.

In all fairness, comparing a Z10's performance to a 950XL is like comparing a Pinto to a 5.0 Mustang. The Passport is no slouch unless you're using Android apps. BTW, the vkb does have swipe but I have no idea how to get it going. I've never used it but it's there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs