Worth changing L640 for L950 at present time or wait?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
This.
I have no regrets owning the 950 again. As a native Windows 10 Mobile phone, it's nice. I'm a fan, I just wish that the battery life matched my other phones.

I had a 640 and on W10M, I was not a fan. Too slow, at least consider the 650.

If there was one thing I was forced to say may have been subpar regarding my 950, it was battery life. Not horrible just subpar.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
There are too many variables within our way experiences to make assumptions. While I wouldn't say the 950 "flies", it's no slouch either. Certainly a worthy device for those who enjoy the Windows experience.

Yes there are many variables yet IMO W10M does not utilize the hardware to the degree it should. Comparing the 950 to G4 highlights this and don't feel my comparison was too far out in left field, nor do I think I'm basing our experience off assumption either but rather on facts. Both devices are running 808s, have 418 GPUs, 3 gigs of ram, and same 1440 x 2560 resolution, then opening same or comparable apps. If one handles the processes better and feels more tuned then there is only one thing to conclude, it rises above... Yes we could use benchmark tools for testing but IMO the result don't always hold true, "real world" is the most telling.

And no, I don't think the 950 is a slouch but for what it is, it's not where it should be. We like it yet has left me a bit underwhelmed. Got to admit, I'm more impressed with the 650 when comparing dollar for dollar.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes there are many variables yet IMO W10M does not utilize the hardware to the degree it should. Comparing the 950 to G4 highlights this and don't feel my comparison was too far out in left field, nor do I think I'm basing our experience off assumption either but rather on facts. Both devices are running 808s, have 418 GPUs, 3 gigs of ram, and same 1440 x 2560 resolution, then opening same or comparable apps. If one handles the processes better and feels more tuned then there is only one thing to conclude, it rises above... Yes we could use benchmark tools for testing but IMO the result don't always hold true, "real world" is the most telling.

And no, I don't think the 950 is a slouch but for what it is, it's not where it should be. We like it yet has left me a bit underwhelmed. Got to admit, I'm more impressed with the 650 when comparing dollar for dollar.
You shouldn't compare same specs for different OSs. Android needs 1,5 times more powerful hardware, to work as fluid as BB10 or W10.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I haven't used a 650 so I can't comment on that, but I've heard good things from others.
We all have a different "feel" for what is best. It's very subjective and I respect your opinion. I also stand by mine: the 950 is a worthy everyday device for those not tied to apps.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
You shouldn't compare same specs for different OSs. Android needs 1,5 times more powerful hardware, to work as fluid as BB10 or W10.

Personally I don't agree that Android needs 1.5 times the hardware, my phones and tablets have proven otherwise to me. Maybe when and if MS tunes 10 into a more refined and smoother OS that will change but until then, we're not finding that to be the case.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used a 650 so I can't comment on that, but I've heard good things from others.
We all have a different "feel" for what is best. It's very subjective and I respect your opinion. I also stand by mine: the 950 is a worthy everyday device for those not tied to apps.

My intent wasn't to dis the 950 as I do agree it's a worthy device for those wanting to stay within the WM realm. It's just another perspective/view (mine) showing that W10M still has a ways to go. My G4 comparison just highlighted, for me, the facts that there's still way too much "pausing", "loading", "resuming" and so on with the 950 than I believe there should be. Besides the OS, I do think many apps have fallen behind in keeping pace so kind of a double whammy if you will.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My intent wasn't to dis the 950 as I do agree it's a worthy device for those wanting to stay within the WM realm. It's just another perspective/view (mine) showing that W10M still has a ways to go. My G4 comparison just highlighted, for me, the facts that there's still way too much "pausing", "loading", "resuming" and so on with the 950 than I believe there should be. Besides the OS, I do think many apps have fallen behind in keeping pace so kind of a double whammy if you will.

WM is certainly evolving, I'm sure MS and any of its users would admit that. I think when comparing Android to WM, for instance, it's more about the experience of the UI than the phones. My wife has an iPhone and I have seen her struggle with apps that wouldn't open, etc. None of these OS's are perfect. WM does have a ways to go, but I think in general it is now extremely close to the others. I think the 950 was over priced when released, much more of a value now.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
WM is certainly evolving, I'm sure MS and any of its users would admit that. I think when comparing Android to WM, for instance, it's more about the experience of the UI than the phones. My wife has an iPhone and I have seen her struggle with apps that wouldn't open, etc. None of these OS's are perfect. WM does have a ways to go, but I think in general it is now extremely close to the others. I think the 950 was over priced when released, much more of a value now.

Think you're going out on a limb with "extremely close", careful the branch don't break LOL.

In all seriousness, agree none are perfect but in my world the other two platforms have dealt a much more uniform, consistent and smoother experience than W10M. And since apps are an integral part with most WM variants not keeping pace, that in itself is a big Achilles Heel. Essentially, if the OS gets bumped up a notch or two we are still dealing with sub-par apps which also causes the platform to suffer.

Only reason I purchased a 950 was because MS offered a cash incentive related to my first defunct 650, otherwise I'm highly doubting we'd own one now... Think the BF deal was way better but didn't want to part with the $$$ at that time. Am I regretting my purchase, not at all, just wish the direction things were going was up, some may think it is but not me.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Think you're going out on a limb with "extremely close", careful the branch don't break LOL.

In all seriousness, agree none are perfect but in my world the other two platforms have dealt a much more uniform, consistent and smoother experience than W10M. And since apps are an integral part with most WM variants not keeping pace, that in itself is a big Achilles Heel. Essentially, if the OS gets bumped up a notch or two we are still dealing with sub-par apps which also causes the platform to suffer.

Only reason I purchased a 950 was because MS offered a cash incentive related to my first defunct 650, otherwise I'm highly doubting we'd own one now... Think the BF deal was way better but didn't want to part with the $$$ at that time. Am I regretting my purchase, not at all, just wish the direction things were going was up, some may think it is but not me.

I'm sitting on the Alcatel Idol4s branch, which seems pretty thick and sturdy. 😉
I truly do feel and understand your frustrations. I was a chronic switcher for quite a while. Blackberry, Android, Blackberry 10, Android, iPhone, Blackberry 10, Windows 8, Android (I'm getting dizzy...). Eventually I ended up with the 950 which captured my heart. It slowly took over my Android phone. When I got the Idol4s, I sold all my leftovers and am now fully invested in WM. It was the 950 that convinced me I didn't need those other ecosystems that were more flashy but never felt right. As far as the platform, I'm convinced brighter days are ahead. In the mean time I'm happy with my decision to stay.
Wish you the best.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I say absolutely. The 950 XL was worlds apart in experience compared to my current 830. Beautiful screen, fast loading of everything, be it apps, games, websites. Camera was superb, though HDR processing was still too slow. Screen was superb, the increased real estate of 5.7" does wonders for W10M. And the 3 GB ram was a god send.

Absolutely upgrade if you can and if you like the platform.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
that was like 4 years ago
That is every single year. Tried Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge... nothing new. And every year Android users say the same... something like "old story", "Ice Cream Sandwich is absolutely flawless" etc. But nothing changes. VW is VW.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That is every single year. Tried Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge... nothing new. And every year Android users say the same... something like "old story", "Ice Cream Sandwich is absolutely flawless" etc. But nothing changes. VW is VW.

Android is (since Lollypop I would say) a lot faster than in the early years. It's definitely faster now than W10M, but not as fast as WP8.1 (probably because WP8.1 is not that feature rich)

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Android is (since Lollypop I would say) a lot faster than in the early years. It's definitely faster now than W10M, but not as fast as WP8.1 (probably because WP8.1 is not that feature rich)
I could only agree that Android has improvements since Lollypop... but not more.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
TgeekB, just picked up the T-Mobile Alcatell Idol 4S, for my wife (happy valentines for her), I have the 950XL and really like it, pretty good battery life 8-10 hours with 1/4 left. How's the battery life on your Alcatell so far?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
TgeekB, just picked up the T-Mobile Alcatell Idol 4S, for my wife (happy valentines for her), I have the 950XL and really like it, pretty good battery life 8-10 hours with 1/4 left. How's the battery life on your Alcatell so far?

Better than on my 950. I'm really impressed with battery life.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Android has performed very well for me over a 2-year span with consistency being #1, they're fast, fluid and have proven to be dependable. Nope not perfect but when I wake up in the morning and turn them on, I'm 100% confident they'll be there for me when needed. Sadly that hasn't been the case w/W10M leaving me always on the edge of wondering "will it or won't it".

Agree wholeheartedly W10M isn't as fast nor does it have the same level of consistency as Android, at least on the devices I'm using. Right now we're riding the 650/950 trains with their inconsistencies, once again, starting to wear thin. Still partial to the 650 for it's "prefect fit for me" when it comes to size and feel.

Like you said, 8.1 wasn't as feature rich which definitely plays a big role here. One thing I miss from that era which wasn't so prevalent at the time, the apps.

Yiannis_P

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
when I wake up in the morning and turn them on, I'm 100% confident they'll be there for me when needed. Sadly that hasn't been the case w/W10M leaving me always on the edge of wondering "will it or won't it".
I guess it depends on the hardware. It's funny but that's why I left android for W10M. I used to have a Nexus4 which was a beast back then. Really fast and fluid (and it still is) but it was the most unreliable phone I ever had. 3 times sent to service because of unresponsive touch screen, buttons malfunctioning, dead speaker and besides all these, the OS had serious problems. After numerous hard resets and updates it could very well reset itself in your pocket for no reason. And this happened many times. I'd like to say I respect Google and I like their material design but who would buy another Google phone after an experience like this with a device running stock android and Google's signature on it? So I bought 640 as a cheap solution before deciding where to go next and I loved it. It was very fast for a phone with just 1GB of memory. Of course, after W10 update it started to show it's age (which I find normal) but it will never disappoint and even now MS keeps supporting it and every update makes a big difference.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
So, I was going to start a thread but then I saw this one, and it seems appropriate to piggyback.

My wife and I have Lumia 822s running 8.1 that will be 4 years old in March, and they really need to be replaced. We had hoped that the Surface Phone would be coming out this spring, but that's not going to happen. I'm thinking about buying a couple of AT&T Lumia 950s from Microsoft with the hope that they'll last us a couple of years or until the Surface Phone comes out, whichever is sooner. We don't care much about apps other than LastPass, MobilePass and a decent shopping app for her. I'm not looking to be in the insider program or anything. We just want a stock OS will be stable and do what we need. Bluetooth connections to home, car and JamBox are about as exotic as we get. We love Windows Phone/Mobile and don't want to leave until (and unless) we're forced to.

Will the Lumia 950 work for us?

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Reading all those things about Windows on ARM, cloud version of W10 and the generic idea of Microsoft replacing Windows 10 mobile for something else I was wondering if it's right to buy Lumia 950XL to change my (beloved) Lumia 640. I know we have to wait for a long time to see new windows phones but I wouldn't like to buy it and after some months stop being updated

If you are still pondering (this thread seems to have turned into something else :grin: ), The Idol 4s is under $300 for T-mobile. That makes me wonder if the unlocked version may do the same soon. Unlocked its $470, which to me is still a better deal than the 950XL right now. Notably better processor for one thing. The camera is good, maybe not great like the 950XL though.

The 950XL is $500 on the MS store right now, and that feels like too much. I got my 950 for $400 six months ago, with a continuum dock ($80ish value) included. Prices seem to jump monthly on these.

The MWC (Mobile World Congress) is next week, and that is the place for new stuff to come out. I think prices for current stuff will drop at that point. Definitely worth waiting a week.

So, I was going to start a thread but then I saw this one, and it seems appropriate to piggyback.
Will the Lumia 950 work for us?
Definitely, but you are in the same boat as the original poster; prices are kinda high right now, and might drop a lot in a week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise