Music auto stop when I close groove app

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
No its happened for me after last groove music update ! My Lumia 540 running on official build 693! I am facing this issue even my fone on 100% charged :(

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
What do you mean by "close the Groove app"? Do you mean you 'swipe down' to shut down the app, or just navigate to a different app or something?

I think for the OS to be consistent we would have to see all apps respond the same way to the same type of action. So if my banking app is open and i don't want it to, maybe for security reasons, and swiping down actually closes it, then I would expect the same behavior from every other app as well.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by "close the Groove app"? Do you mean you 'swipe down' to shut down the app, or just navigate to a different app or something?

I think for the OS to be consistent we would have to see all apps respond the same way to the same type of action. So if my banking app is open and i don't want it to, maybe for security reasons, and swiping down actually closes it, then I would expect the same behavior from every other app as well.

So does that mean that if I'm mid call and I swipe the phone down accidentally that should end the call? Core apps should have exceptions especially with regards to shutting down. There's nothing more annoying than closing groove and the music stopping because you forgot about the new behaviour. Not all apps are made equal. Expecting them to behave the same is unreasonable.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I disagree. I think it's entirely reasonable for them to act the same. Remember what happened when MS changed the behavior of that little "x" in the top right corner of the "Do you want to update to Windows 10"-box? People got furious. Why? Because the expected behavior of that dialog box is that of the standard behavior for all dialog boxes' x'.

So while it's annoying for you to learn a new behavior, if all apps have the same behavior you only have to learn it once, and then you know how they all behave.

As for swiping down and killing a phone call that would require that you first long-press to get the 'open apps' menu or whatever it's called. So it's not like it'd be a fairly easy thing to do by accident. I also don't really recall if it even shows up in that list.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
So does that mean that if I'm mid call and I swipe the phone down accidentally that should end the call? Core apps should have exceptions especially with regards to shutting down. There's nothing more annoying than closing groove and the music stopping because you forgot about the new behaviour. Not all apps are made equal. Expecting them to behave the same is unreasonable.

Actually they SHOULD behave the same. This kind of consistency is especially important for critical or core functionality apps. Most of the time using a device, we don't consciously decide to do particular actions but do so based on habit (like pull down and release for refresh or long press a icon). We really notice what we are doing only when it doesn't work as expected and that ruins the experience. This is why companies put so much effort to develop design and UI languages. A great example is the lack of smart dial in windows phone 7/8. It was a popular request because it was irritating for users to not have that feature, whether they actually needed it or not, because they were so used to it and expected it to work that way. It often caused me to dial numbers half mindedly expecting a name to pop up, only to realise it didn't work and I was using wp since wp7. Habits are powerful :)

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I think it's entirely reasonable for them to act the same. Remember what happened when MS changed the behavior of that little "x" in the top right corner of the "Do you want to update to Windows 10"-box? People got furious. Why? Because the expected behavior of that dialog box is that of the standard behavior for all dialog boxes' x'.

So while it's annoying for you to learn a new behavior, if all apps have the same behavior you only have to learn it once, and then you know how they all behave.

As for swiping down and killing a phone call that would require that you first long-press to get the 'open apps' menu or whatever it's called. So it's not like it'd be a fairly easy thing to do by accident. I also don't really recall if it even shows up in that list.

Well for one if you look at the feedback hub people EXPECT it to keep playing. When you say a music player has background play, people expect it to work IN THE BACKGROUND always. This new behaviour is MS changing the x. The consistency is with music players. Like i said, not all apps are made equal and people won't compare grove to other apps, they'll compare it to other players.

As for the phone call, I navigate to other apps all the time during a call. And yes the call doesn't drop if I close the phone app. Which list are you referring to?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well for one if you look at the feedback hub people EXPECT it to keep playing.

Right, because some people have gotten used to that behavior. But getting used to something in an individual case doesn't mean that that's better generally speaking.

When you say a music player has background play, people expect it to work IN THE BACKGROUND always.

And it does work in the background (no need for all caps). What it doesn't do is work when the application has been shut down, which is what seems to be happening now when swiping down.

This new behaviour is MS changing the x.

No, it isn't. "X" as I explained it was related to the behavior of apps in general. MS isn't changing that, it seems to be adapting Groove Music to work like most other apps do. There's a big difference between changing one case versus most.

The consistency is with music players. Like i said, not all apps are made equal and people won't compare grove to other apps, they'll compare it to other players.

Ok, so first of all, which are the other players that keep playing after you swipe down? Secondly, people might compare Groove to other media players, but all you have to do is search the forum and you'll see people comparing wildly different apps because of what they see as inconsistencies in the OS, not even in apps. So people most certainly do compare the consistency of apps across different genres.

And I think it makes sense. It's not a big deal to me that there's the one app that's a bit different, but it's better in general if you always can expect a specific behavior from an app based on a specific action. This is exactly what makes a platform easy to adopt for the user. If you give a W10M phone to a user of a different OS then don't you think they'd have an easier time adopting to this OS if it was consistent?

"How do I close this app?"
"Go here, and then here."
"Wait, why? The other app I closed by swiping down."
"This is different."
"Why?"

We want the OS to be as powerful, good looking and easy to use as possible to attract as many consumers as possible, because it encourages development which we current users benefit from. A consistent GUI is key in my opinion. Not to mention that the trade-off here is so simple it's really insignificant: Just be more careful and don't close the app!

As for the phone call, I navigate to other apps all the time during a call. And yes the call doesn't drop if I close the phone app. Which list are you referring to?

I'm referring to the same 'list' you are probably. You long press on the back icon and you get the horizontal list. Swiping down closes and pressing selects.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
People were complaining about the x because that's not what they're used to. Changing something for consistency after five years of that behaviour is bound to get people upset simply because there are different levels of consistency. After this long, changing it actually makes that particular app's management inconsistent.
And clearly people prefer the old behaviour. I've seen more people crying foul about this change than those defending it. And with regards to people switching platforms, nobody wants windows mobile, the only people using it are people who've spent years on the platform. So all they did was mess things up for them.
If that's what you're talking about then its definitely on the list.

Last edited:

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
People were complaining about the x because that's not what they're used to.

Exactly. The dialog box as its own user-interface entity is a known concept. It acts a certain way. A user doesn't have to have prior experience with a specific dialog box that is only about an update, it's enough that the user has experience with dialog boxes, period. The behavior was inconsistent with the majority of dialog boxes and therefore misleading.

Same thing here. If swiping down closes all apps except for Groove Music then the behavior is inconsistent with the general concept of swiping down.

Changing something for consistency after five years of that behaviour is bound to get people upset simply because there are different levels of consistency. After this long, changing it actually makes that particular app's management inconsistent.

Inconsistent how? It's inconsistent compared to before, but not "internally" to that app. There's only one case in which you swipe down, so there's no app-management inconsistency as far as I see it. Unless I'm missing something.

And clearly people prefer the old behaviour. I've seen more people crying foul about this change than those defending it.

Yes, but that's almost always the case though, isn't it... go on any app or device's forum and you're likely to see a large amount of people complaining about this that or the other thing and fewer people defending it. Because often when people are happy they'll just go on with their merry lives using whatever this thing is. They don't typically go back and post glowing reviews of esoteric minor details. But if things aren't the way they want they'll complain.

And with regards to people switching platforms, nobody wants windows mobile, the only people using it are people who've spent years on the platform. So they did was need things up for them.
If that's what you're talking about then its definitely on the list.

I don't understand what you mean above. All I'm saying is that consistency is key for any user interface, and it makes it easier for people new to it to adopt it. I don't think that's disputable.

And I reiterate that out of all the things one can have issues with on Win10M swiping down killing an app in consistency with other apps seems like a very, very minor issue.

Like I said: Don't swipe down. Don't swipe ANY app down unless you want to quit it. Simple. Consistent.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. The dialog box as its own user-interface entity is a known concept. It acts a certain way. A user doesn't have to have prior experience with a specific dialog box that is only about an update, it's enough that the user has experience with dialog boxes, period. The behavior was inconsistent with the majority of dialog boxes and therefore misleading.

Same thing here. If swiping down closes all apps except for Groove Music then the behavior is inconsistent with the general concept of swiping down.

Inconsistent how? It's inconsistent compared to before, but not "internally" to that app. There's only one case in which you swipe down, so there's no app-management inconsistency as far as I see it. Unless I'm missing something.

Yes, but that's almost always the case though, isn't it... go on any app or device's forum and you're likely to see a large amount of people complaining about this that or the other thing and fewer people defending it. Because often when people are happy they'll just go on with their merry lives using whatever this thing is. They don't typically go back and post glowing reviews of esoteric minor details. But if things aren't the way they want they'll complain.

I don't understand what you mean above. All I'm saying is that consistency is key for any user interface, and it makes it easier for people new to it to adopt it. I don't think that's disputable.

And I reiterate that out of all the things one can have issues with on Win10M swiping down killing an app in consistency with other apps seems like a very, very minor issue.

Like I said: Don't swipe down. Don't swipe ANY app down unless you want to quit it. Simple. Consistent.

Like I said, it's inconsistent with other music apps. Everyone is content with the idea that music apps should behave like groove did before. And when I say everyone i mean most people before you take offense. That includes the devs for Deezer and Loco music player.

And btw accidental swipes do happen when fast scrolling through the task switcher. And having to pay extra attention when switching apps because if it would be an annoyance rather than something a user would appreciate.

And I will use my phone the way I choose to. If I want to swipe down Deezer while music plays in the background, I will do so because it's what works for me. I don't like clutter and i won't start liking it because Microsoft wants to change the behavior groove.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers