The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-09-2017 10:34 AM
41 12
tools
    My Lumia 1520 has finally croaked. All I'm left with is a Lumia 535, which is used to be owned by my brother before he jumped ship to iOS last year. Damn, the 535 is a crappy piece of hardware due to its abysmal touch screen! Clearly, MS have learned nothing from Lumia 520's success.
    It seems the Surface Phone is still an uncertain project, and if it does exist, it's likely be sometime in 2018 the earliest when it sees daylight. What do you suggest me do in the meantime?

1.) Buy a Lumia 950XL that's currently on sale for a discounted price and hope that Windows 10 on ARM has BC with WP8 (non-UWP) apps.
    or,
    2.) Hold on to the Lumia 535 and endure until Satya Nadella clarifies MS' mobile plans and hopefully deliver some good news for WP/WM users.
    or,
    3.) Just give in to Google fans, join the Android community and start all over scouring Google Play store for replacement apps.
    Last edited by David MacdAj; 02-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    02-07-2017 12:36 AM
    Your choice.
    If you love WP get the 950.
    If you want apps go for Android.

Other than that I don't know what to say.
    I'm sure others will have plenty to say :)

Edit:
    Those 535's are absolute junk...I had one.
    Worst smartphone experience of my life.
    02-07-2017 12:42 AM
    I'd recommend 1) or 3). I wouldn't wait on any announcement by Microsoft. If there is one, it will probably not be very defining. And if an announcement does come and is defining, it will probably be too far out in the future to rely on a Lumia 535 until then. (Can you tell that my confidence is low? )
    02-07-2017 06:58 AM
    Can you tell that my confidence is low?
    Apparently.
    02-07-2017 07:52 AM
    Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress. IF W10M doesn't produce anything interesting there (new phones, software announcements, ANYTHING PLEASE GOD), then abandon ship. You've got the 535 at least, can you hold out a bit?
    Guytronic and Joe920 like this.
    02-07-2017 08:57 AM
    Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress. IF W10M doesn't produce anything interesting there (new phones, software announcements, ANYTHING PLEASE GOD), then abandon ship. You've got the 535 at least, can you hold out a bit?
    I can try but truth be told, the 535 often drove me almost insane due its ****ty touch screen performance. Why was this phone ever designated as 520's successor, only God knows why.
    02-07-2017 09:07 AM
    From what Dan has said, it's very unlikely that anything will come out of MWC.

I second giving the 950XL a try. I recently got a 950, and I'm glad that I got it now.
    Guytronic, N_LaRUE and aximtreo like this.
    02-07-2017 09:27 AM
    I resigned! Using Lumia for several years, latest 1520 with W10. Although I love the OS and layout, I do need apps for different use. MS is not providing the necessary apps and neither supporting those who would deliver apps regardless of how the OS is represented in the mobile market (in my country about 1%). I am sorry to say, but in a week or so I am part of the Android community. Byby...
    Elise A likes this.
    02-07-2017 09:58 AM
    It comes down to what you want from the phone but the 950 series is very cheap now
    libra89 likes this.
    02-07-2017 11:03 AM
    I would love to try windows 10 mobile again & again if Microsoft ensure updates and no more reboot
    02-07-2017 12:46 PM
    Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress.
    Good advice.

Microsoft has been quiet far too long regarding the lines of definition.
    I'd be surprised to see them have a strong presence in Barcelona at all from what I see looking around the MWC 2017 website.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    02-07-2017 02:32 PM
    From what Dan has said, it's very unlikely that anything will come out of MWC.
    From Microsoft, the way they are ignoring mobile hardware I would not be surprised. It looks like HP will be there, so hopefully they have the rumored consumer phone. Sounds like Cerulean won't be there.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-07-2017 03:10 PM
    From Microsoft, the way they are ignoring mobile hardware I would not be surprised. It looks like HP will be there, so hopefully they have the rumored consumer phone. Sounds like Cerulean won't be there.
    That's a fair point. We will see if it appears for HP. I forgot about that rumor actually. At the same time, I think it's dangerous to put a lot of stock in a rumor that can be pushed back and delayed. (I'm not saying that this is your case, just a general statement.)
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    02-07-2017 03:12 PM
    I resigned! Using Lumia for several years, latest 1520 with W10. Although I love the OS and layout, I do need apps for different use. MS is not providing the necessary apps and neither supporting those who would deliver apps regardless of how the OS is represented in the mobile market (in my country about 1%). I am sorry to say, but in a week or so I am part of the Android community. Byby...
    Same for me, love the OS and layout, but Win10M is going nowhere fast, all that is happening is that the speed that apps are being removed from the platform is accelerating. If Microsoft come up with a category defining product at some point in the future, then I'll probably look again, but I fear that most if not all current handsets will not make the leap to the next big thing, I fully expect Microsoft to come out with the next iteration of Windows Mobile (probably still called 10 for obvious reasons) which will not be available for older hardware, hence the reason to offload my L950 now before it becomes completely worthless. My Android phone arrives tomorrow, after I sent the first one back, as the white bezel made viewing media quite odd after using a totally black L950 for the last year or so.
    Elise A, Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    02-07-2017 03:38 PM
    Same for me, love the OS and layout, but Win10M is going nowhere fast, all that is happening is that the speed that apps are being removed from the platform is accelerating. If Microsoft come up with a category defining product at some point in the future, then I'll probably look again, but I fear that most if not all current handsets will not make the leap to the next big thing, I fully expect Microsoft to come out with the next iteration of Windows Mobile (probably still called 10 for obvious reasons) which will not be available for older hardware, hence the reason to offload my L950 now before it becomes completely worthless. My Android phone arrives tomorrow, after I sent the first one back, as the white bezel made viewing media quite odd after using a totally black L950 for the last year or so.
    Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

OP, everyone has to do what is best for them. We all have unique needs. Only you know what you should do.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    libra89 likes this.
    02-07-2017 06:53 PM
    Buy a Lumia 950 XL. You can also try a Pixel XL or LG V20 if you decide to go Android.
    02-07-2017 07:11 PM
    Nokia P1 is supposed to be coming soon.
    02-08-2017 01:19 AM
    You could buy a lumia 550 or 650, they're cheap. You can decide to invest on a high end Windows device once there's clarity on the future of windows phone.
    02-08-2017 01:31 AM
    Nokia P1 is supposed to be coming soon.
    He never asked about Nokias though :P

By the way, what's the deal with the 535 receiving so much hate? 😀 Mine 535 is my first Windows Phone, bought it a year and 1 month ago, has been my daily driver since then, even typing that on it and I have always loved it. My only complaint is the screen getting dirty easily.

So, I recommend staying with it.

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    02-08-2017 01:50 AM
    I would't bother with any new non-Windows Nokia phones, they're Nokia in name only, and are manufactured by HMD in China.
    02-08-2017 02:09 AM
    Before buying an Android phone, consider the security implications. Do you do online banking etc. on your phone? Tap to pay ? Then you will want a secure OS (like W10M) which is promptly updated for security and other patches. Chances are, any Android phone available for a similar price to the Lumia 950XL will be running an out of date OS and will be unlikely to promptly recieve patches, if ever. My wife went from Android to Windows phone precisely because of the lack of OS updates.
    02-08-2017 05:00 AM
    Before buying an Android phone, consider the security implications. Do you do online banking etc. on your phone? Tap to pay ? Then you will want a secure OS (like W10M) which is promptly updated for security and other patches. Chances are, any Android phone available for a similar price to the Lumia 950XL will be running an out of date OS and will be unlikely to promptly recieve patches, if ever. My wife went from Android to Windows phone precisely because of the lack of OS updates.
    But there are very few banking apps for Windows phones. There's no WP apps for any of the UK banks I use, the only bank I'm aware of that does have an app is Metro Bank (an American bank), but the services they offer are not very compelling compared to other UK banks.
    02-08-2017 07:32 AM
    I still use my 950XL. DO NOT Go Fast Ring.. the latest Win10 is a mess.

Love it and I have TRIED to jump ship to android, but until MS makes an arrow launcher with live live tiles for Android I am not willing to suck it up yet.

Especially with the 950xl still be a top of the line phone for everything I do. Has all the apps I need, and the camera is fantastic.
    02-08-2017 07:51 AM
    I would't bother with any new non-Windows Nokia phones, they're Nokia in name only, and are manufactured by HMD in China.
    It's true the brand is licensed to HMD but the company itself is made up of several ex-Nokia staff. It's possible the design principles of the old Nokia hasn't died completely.
    aximtreo, N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    02-08-2017 08:31 AM
    What carrier are you using? I would recommend the Alcatel Idol 4s, its amazing and new. you can get one unlocked at the Microsoft store, the T-Mobile store ( carrier Locked to T-Mobile). or find a recently used 950XL B&H still has a few left. I would probably wait 2 or three weeks until world mobile congress though since your 535 is still working for now.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-08-2017 10:03 AM
41 12