Photos App on WM10

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
my photos App often crashes, doesn't show thumbnails, has problems with zooming/scrolling (especially on long pictures), often shows blurred images and is a bit slow in my taste. Does anyone have similar problems and knows whether the fast ring members have a better version of the app? I have a lumia 640 btw but I think these problems are more App relevant.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
my photos App often crashes, doesn't show thumbnails, has problems with zooming/scrolling (especially on long pictures), often shows blurred images and is a bit slow in my taste. Does anyone have similar problems and knows whether the fast ring members have a better version of the app? I have a lumia 640 btw but I think these problems are more App relevant.

What Windows are you on?

Edit: Didn't read the title 😂

On my Lumia 535 with Windows 10 the scrolling is pretty smooth, thumbnails always show no problems. Maybe they are blurry and their thumbnails don't load because those pictures are from OneDrive, so it might need some time to load them?

Sent from mTalk

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea if they are only on onedrive it will usually take longer and specially on slow wiffi, but it will be slow anyway, even if its on the phone, at least compared to other OSes or even previous WP versions, its just the way it works, on a 830 it feels like zooming on a satellite map

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. Interesting. I really ask myself why I always have such a bad experience with Windows.
I will clean up a few pictures to see, whether the amount of photos is just too much to handle properly.

As for scrolling, it happens mostly with long pictures. For example a compilation picture from 9gag.

At current state, the photos app nearly kills me -.-

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Photos app is the most worst of windows 10! It takes min to load a image that recently clicked! And it crashes lot! Microsoft needs to bake it well

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Could it be that memory is not handled properly?

I once moved my photos (in the order of a few thousand) from the phone to the PC using the cable. When I moved them back, they were shown as photos taken on that day, instead of the original download/snap date.

The sheer amount of files listed together did not seem to sit well with the photos app. Kept crashing until I deleted them from the phone. Granted this was on an inside ring preview, but I never dared try that experiment again.

Is there a third party app anyone would recommend?

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
The photos app is a shame from Microsoft. I have more than 2k pictures and the photos app simply crashes when I scroll to really old pictures. New pictures takes forever to appear, forever to process (without HDR), and forever to vanish after pressing delete. Zooming sucks big time, the photo when clicked, opens as a small thumbnail on some side, then to a full size. Greyed out thumbnails, "We can't show this picture right now" etc etc, How do apps like these even pass testing is a wonder.PS. Using a Lumia 650 on latest production Build, with photos, both on phone as well as a high speed SD card.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I have deleted many photos and moved them from sd to device. Sadly, there were no improvements in the experience with doing so.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Nope, a reason why I bought this device was the sd card expansion. It would be a bit over the top if the photos App only works flawless without a card. I had these problems with WM10 mobile only. When I had W8.1 everything worked fine.

it's not a matter of not using the card but to check whether that specific card is the problem - I've seen cases where phones run much slower with a specific card because the card is starting to fail - once a new card goes in, the phone performs as it should :smile:

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
it's not a matter of not using the card but to check whether that specific card is the problem - I've seen cases where phones run much slower with a specific card because the card is starting to fail - once a new card goes in, the phone performs as it should :smile:

I couldn't test all the problems I have, because some of them happen randomly. So I just testet the scrolling and it still was a ****ty experience. I don't think I can do anything to improve the experience. Either it depends on Hardware or you just don't see the problems I have. Just try a 9gag photo, for example "A hilarious compilation of awkward dog photos." It's a long image. Load it to your smartphone. Zoom in (double tap) and start scrolling. On my phone, it's a buggy mess.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't test all the problems I have, because some of them happen randomly. So I just testet the scrolling and it still was a ****ty experience. I don't think I can do anything to improve the experience. Either it depends on Hardware or you just don't see the problems I have. Just try a 9gag photo, for example "A hilarious compilation of awkward dog photos." It's a long image. Load it to your smartphone. Zoom in (double tap) and start scrolling. On my phone, it's a buggy mess.

you're right about the long photos, I've seen something similar before but not so severe - after a second or two, it works okay for me - I use a lumia 540 though and without a card

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise