02-19-2017 07:09 PM
46 12
tools
    I took literary license with that statement since the others are so perfect according to the Windows Haters Society.

Yes, Microsoft does appear to be moving the goalposts with every new Insider Build - but isn't that the point?

Preview>feedback>adjust>more feedback>release is the proper path. B!tch and complain isn't part of the process, it's part of the problem.
    My wife is bit**ing about her iPhone 6 because apps won't open, crash, it's slow and freezes. Only 2 years old and updated to latest build. I don't know, it seems like all OS's have issues but some seem to get more of a free ride.
    Of course I've heard the iPhone 8 will have a new ground -breaking innovation called "wireless charging". Going to set the smartphone world on fire. 🤣

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    fatclue_98, aximtreo and libra89 like this.
    02-15-2017 05:58 PM
    My wife is bit**ing about her iPhone 6 because apps won't open, crash, it's slow and freezes. Only 2 years old and updated to latest build. I don't know, it seems like all OS's have issues but some seem to get more of a free ride.
    Of course I've heard the iPhone 8 will have a new ground -breaking innovation called "wireless charging". Going to set the smartphone world on fire. 🤣

I'm having a serious problem with my 6S+ because someone invented this revolutionary feature called fillable PDF forms that iOS doesn't read. Apparently this feature was released only yesterday so Apple hasn't had the proper time to bake a solution yet. In the meantime, I'll use my HP Touchpad to open the attachments in my emails. Geez, webOS was so far ahead of its time that they predicted this feature. Can you feel the dripping sarcasm?
    TgeekB, anthonyng and libra89 like this.
    02-15-2017 06:08 PM
    I'm having a serious problem with my 6S+ because someone invented this revolutionary feature called fillable PDF forms that iOS doesn't read. Apparently this feature was released only yesterday so Apple hasn't had the proper time to bake a solution yet. In the meantime, I'll use my HP Touchpad to open the attachments in my emails. Geez, webOS was so far ahead of its time that they predicted this feature. Can you feel the dripping sarcasm?
    Lol this is why I run both 950 and my 6s+

Sent from mTalk on 950XL
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-15-2017 07:55 PM
    Of course I've heard the iPhone 8 will have a new ground -breaking innovation called "wireless charging". Going to set the smartphone world on fire.

"set the smartphone world on fire"??? Did Apple outsource manufacturing to Samsung?
    02-15-2017 09:18 PM

"set the smartphone world on fire"??? Did Apple outsource manufacturing to Samsung?
    I am on Fast Ring, and as a result, I expect some interruptions.....but BT is working fine at the moment..... but tomorrow, on Fast Ring, is anyone's guess?
    ah I get you now
    mtf1380 likes this.
    Of course I've heard the iPhone 8 will have a new ground -breaking innovation called "wireless charging". Going to set the smartphone world on fire. ������

Yeah, I don't know if it's just me but it kind of feels like iOS 10 has obvious brokenness that I don't want to deal with. I'm disappointed in them for that so I'm going to continue to hang out on iOS 9.

On the flip side, using the 950 recently hasn't been frustrating. Aside from the Outlook Calendar tile not always working, it doesn't seem as broken as iOS 10 (to me). I'll be honest, I really moved my sim out of it because of battery life.
    02-16-2017 09:51 AM
    I'll be honest, I really moved my sim out of it because of battery life.
    I'm going out on a limb here but I see a SIM mysteriously finding its way into a 950, an iPhone SE going into a drawer (not buried) and an Honor on eBay.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2017 10:57 AM
    I'm going out on a limb here but I see a SIM mysteriously finding its way into a 950, an iPhone SE going into a drawer (not buried) and an Honor on eBay.
    Haha that is possible. If I can find a way to squeeze more battery life out of the 950, I'm not opposed to this idea. Selling the Honor has crossed my mind a few times even though it has the best radios.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2017 11:09 AM
    Haha that is possible. If I can find a way to squeeze more battery life out of the 950, I'm not opposed to this idea. Selling the Honor has crossed my mind a few times even though it has the best radios.
    What version are you using? I'm not a fan of the Insider Builds for daily drivers. Battery life and Bluetooth are too wonky for my tastes.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2017 11:31 AM
    What version are you using? I'm not a fan of the Insider Builds for daily drivers. Battery life and Bluetooth are too wonky for my tastes.
    Like you, I don't do Insider so I'm on the latest official one. I have had battery saver on all the time to try to extend it some more but the most I have had was 1 day and 1 hour.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2017 11:42 AM
    Like you, I don't do Insider so I'm on the latest official one. I have had battery saver on all the time to try to extend it some more but the most I have had was 1 day and 1 hour.
    Well, I charge every night as a rule so I only complain when a phone doesn't make it through a day. I've never used battery saver but I do limit background usage very intensely. For example, I live in South Florida so I don't need the Weather app to tell me it's miserably hot. If you live in Kansas I'm sure you'd want the latest tornado warning though. It's no secret that Facebook is the worst offender on any platform when it comes to killing batteries. OneDrive can be pretty lethal if you have files running in and out as I do so it's good to keep an eye on what apps are draining your power.

That's been my experience regardless of OS. Pay closer attention to apps rather than screen brightness or radios.
    02-16-2017 12:01 PM
    Well, I charge every night as a rule so I only complain when a phone doesn't make it through a day. I've never used battery saver but I do limit background usage very intensely. For example, I live in South Florida so I don't need the Weather app to tell me it's miserably hot. If you live in Kansas I'm sure you'd want the latest tornado warning though. It's no secret that Facebook is the worst offender on any platform when it comes to killing batteries. OneDrive can be pretty lethal if you have files running in and out as I do so it's good to keep an eye on what apps are draining your power.

That's been my experience regardless of OS. Pay closer attention to apps rather than screen brightness or radios.
    Hmm okay, I see. For me, I'm spoiled. I love charging every other day. I also use my phone more at night though too.

Yeah that makes sense. I try to do the same too with each of my phones. Weather apps are super important as we have all four seasons here. I'll try to see if I can look at my list of apps again to see if I notice anything odd.

I mentioned the radio bit because in my experience, it has made a difference in battery life with many of the phones I have tried last year. At work, WiFi disconnects and reconnects all the time, and in addition, the building I work in, along with the area of my office, struggle with the connection there. It hops between LTE and Edge a lot. The phones that couldn't fight well suffered with battery life, regardless of my other efforts. I have tried everything with some of those and in the end, it was all down to the radios.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-16-2017 12:46 PM
    I love charging every other day. I also use my phone more at night though too.
    Don't you sleep every night? Why not charge it while you're sleeping? That's what I do.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-16-2017 01:57 PM
    Don't you sleep every night? Why not charge it while you're sleeping? That's what I do.
    Haha, I do but I'm that kind of gal who falls asleep while reading a book, and the cord is never long enough for me to read comfortably.* Also, iOS likes to be sneaky and try to "automatically" update when connected to power in the early hours of the night. I don't want to update.

* I very much still try to do it anyway but the idea of doing that every night sounds awful to me.
    tgp and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-16-2017 02:11 PM
    Haha, I do but I'm that kind of gal who falls asleep while reading a book, and the cord is never long enough for me to read comfortably.* Also, iOS likes to be sneaky and try to "automatically" update when connected to power in the early hours of the night. I don't want to update.

* I very much still try to do it anyway but the idea of doing that every night sounds awful to me.
    OK, I understand. I have a wireless charger by my bed, and one on my desk at work. The battery almost never gets below 70%. I have a couple tablets I use at night, so I seldom use my phone after I go to bed. I even have a flexible holder for phones/tablets so I can suspend it directly overhead and lay comfortably on my back and watch a movie.

You're saying you don't want to install an available upgrade??? Ha, you're a rare one here in that respect! I personally do not micromanage my phone, at all! That includes upgrades. I let it do its thing.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-16-2017 02:37 PM
    OK, I understand. I have a wireless charger by my bed, and one on my desk at work. The battery almost never gets below 70%. I have a couple tablets I use at night, so I seldom use my phone after I go to bed. I even have a flexible holder for phones/tablets so I can suspend it directly overhead and lay comfortably on my back and watch a movie.

You're saying you don't want to install an available upgrade??? Ha, you're a rare one here in that respect! I personally do not micromanage my phone, at all! That includes upgrades. I let it do its thing.
    Nicee! That holder sounds amazing.

Yep, I like to control all of my updates on all of my phones, and that includes app updates as well. iOS 10 brings decreased battery life, along with some bugs. I did try it though but I rolled back in time thankfully. Funnily enough, I always install Windows 10 Mobile updates when I'm awake to do so, and I recently installed 7.0 on my Honor 8 by choice too.

As for the app updates, I like to read what has changed for iOS and Android apps (when available) before installing.
    tgp likes this.
    02-16-2017 02:46 PM
    Yep, I like to control all of my updates on all of my phones, and that includes app updates as well.
    Yeah, I used to do that too, but not so much for app updates. I mean, I have them set to not install automatically, but I don't read changelogs or anything. If there is an update available, I install it.

I make a living working with software, which includes installing updates and troubleshooting. Maybe I get too much of it at work which makes me uninterested in doing it on my phone!

Since starting to use my current phone in December 2016, I cannot recall the last time anything crashed, OS or app. In fact, I'm not sure I've experienced a crash at all on this phone. Everything just works. I just now checked the uptime, and it is currently at 496 hours. It is running as fresh and solid as the day I got it out of the box brand new. Why mess with success?
    libra89 likes this.
    02-16-2017 03:13 PM
    Yeah, I used to do that too, but not so much for app updates. I mean, I have them set to not install automatically, but I don't read changelogs or anything. If there is an update available, I install it.

I make a living working with software, which includes installing updates and troubleshooting. Maybe I get too much of it at work which makes me uninterested in doing it on my phone!

Since starting to use my current phone in December 2016, I cannot recall the last time anything crashed, OS or app. In fact, I'm not sure I've experienced a crash at all on this phone. Everything just works. I just now checked the uptime, and it is currently at 496 hours. It is running as fresh and solid as the day I got it out of the box brand new. Why mess with success?
    Ah okay, I see. I can get why that you don't feel like doing that on your phone and I don't blame you at all. Wow, that's a long time! Again, I can't say that I blame you at all for not messing with what isn't broken.
    Last edited by libra89; 02-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    02-16-2017 03:23 PM
    People have been waiting for like a couple of years now of any decent UI change/improvements and that's like few generations of android already, and all the "Lagdroid" jokes have now become the great grandparents of all the current jokes by Windows fans because they are far long gone. Perhaps fans will still need to wait few more years unless you have mental issues to wait that long.
    Last edited by matt john2; 02-16-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    02-16-2017 03:27 PM
    OK, so here's an update regarding the issue I mentioned on post #27 . The answer might be comical to most of us long-suffering Windows Mobile diehards because it involves a workaround. The app gap has turned virtually any task into an exercise in workarounds so I thought it was funny when the guys over at iMore helped me out.

First let me give those guys their props because they assisted me very quickly. I'm sure the traffic at iMore is 10 times what it is here so let's give those guys a hand. Now, since Apple didn't see it fit to give their native PDF reader the ability "see" fillable PDFs in Mail, the solution is to "share" it using another app. If you don't have another app, you need to download one. That's Workaround 101 folks and they made their suggestion as if it's the most normal thing in the world. This reminds me of Bobby Kennedy's famous quote "Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not."

How long do we have to put up with basic failures and not put some feet to the fires?
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    02-19-2017 07:09 PM
46 12