Is it worth the wait?

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Is W10M really worth the wait? As of now 2017 we've been realistically waiting since NOV 2015 for a decent version of this OS on our eligible devices. I own as my daily driver a L950XL and bit by bit I'm getting more and more frustrated by the little simple things that don't work that should without issue. RS1 is still under construction with all the every 2nd Tuesday of the month Production CUs and the Insider ones in-between. RS2 is in the works and that smh has its own problems, with BT and flashlight. How is it that with the battery I have that it can't give you a true full day without you NOT using certain apps for a few mins in a 24hr day. "Hey Cortana" is a joke, you set it and a few days go by and you have to set it again as it doesn't respond. How in the hell does Samsung come out with iris scanner AFTER Microsoft's own and is better yet MS is trying to release a workable daily OS to the "potential" masses and for almost 2yrs still can't get BT or Camera to work as it should. I truly prefer this OS by far over IOS and Android but I'm waiting to see what RS3 brings before I make my decision.

How can you entertain RS2 or 3 and can't get RS1 stable enough that every CU should be just to make it faster but every CU to RS1 is to FIX BUGS/ISSUES and not to just sure up the stability and functionality of what should've been an already by NOW stable everyday daily driver OS. Seriously how long are you willing to wait for MS to get it right. I could understand if IOS ,Android and WP/10M had been released within a few months of each other and all were working out the kinks but this have been almost 8-10yrs and MS still struggling. Does anyone know if the IT people who work on this mobile OS for MS went to IT schools on a different planet compared to those who work at Apple and Google?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure anyone can answer that at this point and time, know I can't. Does comes down to the individual and whether they're willing to tough it out and even then, may be all for naught. IMO things are looking bleaker each and every day with my 650 and 950 being constant reminders.

DarthVedder

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Frankly, it's not. I still have my icon, but I never use it anymore. The icon has my second line but I just call-forward everything to my main phone (an iPhone) and most times I don't even remember to charge it.

I really like WM's look&feel, but it's really frustrating, especially when compared against the iPhone. I know the iphone is boring, it's not a perfect phone and has a few bugs, but at least it just works most of the times.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well, let's say I take the post at face value....

"Is W10M really worth the wait?"

I would call that a 'trick question', because it's already worth getting. The level of phone and OS you're getting for your money provides an excellent value. The complaints you have are things that I don't experience, so since you asked and since you simply mentioned issues from the standpoint of them being essentially anecdotal evidence I'll just disagree with the premise that there's something so wrong with the OS that it devalues it to the point of having to wait in the first place. So, it's not a viable question really.

If your question is more along the lines of whether or not you should wait, then it's an entirely personal decision and only you can answer the question.

I truly prefer this OS by far over IOS and Android but I'm waiting to see what RS3 brings before I make my decision.

That appears to be your answer to your own question then.

Does anyone know if the IT people who work on this mobile OS for MS went to IT schools on a different planet compared to those who work at Apple and Google?

I think only they themselves know, but I'm guessing they went to school here on earth.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I really like WM's look&feel, but it's really frustrating

Ditto on both counts...

The 950 I now own has proven to me W10M isn't refined enough to take advantage of the higher specd device. Faster to a degree than say my 650 but not in the way I was expecting.

DarthVedder

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Ditto on both counts...

The 950 I now own has proven to me W10M isn't refined enough to take advantage of the higher specd device. Faster to a degree than say my 650 but not in the way I was expecting.

Not only the speed (my Icon lags a lot when loading apps), but the basic functionality. I can't get any consistency with even basic stuff like Bluetooth, wireless charging or even notifications. The OS probably does more than the 8.1 version, but that one was at least effective.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I will be honest and say, if you are already having doubts then unless Microsoft have a magic fix to all their Windows phone problems, it probably isn't worth the wait. It's like watching a bad TV show. You've know the TV show is bad, you've been watching it for years, yet you continue to watch because you want to see if it gets better or not. That is kind of how W10M is. It does everything I need it to do, but, when compared against iOS and Android, let's be honest, it is still lacking and we don't know how many reboots of their mobile strategy Microsoft will do to try and fix it.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
It of course comes to individual preference, some bugs don't affect you, others do depending on how you use a device and for what purpose. If I don't use Bluetooth headsets, I wouldn't care much of Bluetooth worked properly or not. If there are some minor annoyances, then it's upto you to decide if you can overlook them without affecting the overall experience. But if something critical to your use is affected by the bugs and makes a significant impact on your usage, then I can't imagine you will wait for things to be fixed just because you like the design. You bought the device, someone didn't pay you to use it, if it bothers you too much, jump to a different device that works for you and then if you want you can always jump back when things improve.
I personally don't have the problems you describe but the problems I have don't trouble me so much. You may be having a different experience, so your decision may be different too

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It of course comes to individual preference, some bugs don't affect you, others do depending on how you use a device and for what purpose. If I don't use Bluetooth headsets, I wouldn't care much of Bluetooth worked properly or not. If there are some minor annoyances, then it's upto you to decide if you can overlook them without affecting the overall experience. But if something critical to your use is affected by the bugs and makes a significant impact on your usage, then I can't imagine you will wait for things to be fixed just because you like the design. You bought the device, someone didn't pay you to use it, if it bothers you too much, jump to a different device that works for you and then if you want you can always jump back when things improve.
I personally don't have the problems you describe but the problems I have don't trouble me so much. You may be having a different experience, so your decision may be different too

That's very true. We all chose Windows phone. We weren't forced. Right now, even on the latest fast ring build, my phone still works and does what I need it to do. As said though, your own mileage may vary. Some people will stick it out and see what happens next, otherwise will head for pastures new with iOS or Android. Sometimes I do miss the app gap. I see all the apps advertised for iOS and Android and I wonder why they are not on Windows phone (like the awesome Final Fantasy VII for example).

But then I realise, even if I had an Android or iPhone and had access to that game, and every other application I am missing, I would not actually really use it. I would still only use a small selection of core apps and my Lumia 950XL already does that just fine (for me), so why change?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Now owning the 950 it is pretty apparent to me that W10M is not refined, smooth nor consistent and has a ways to go. Did a comparison between it and my G4 (same specs) which was very enlightening to say the least.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I really like WM's look & feel, but it's really frustrating, especially when compared against the iPhone

Does comes down to the individual and whether they're willing to tough it out and even then, may be all for naught.

As the above members has said, the W10 OS for me at least is really cool and i think that it could have been much better if more Devs made Apps for it and more customers purchased devices. I don't like being negative but I think if you have a W10 device, keep it but if you looking for an upgrade. Maybe Android or IOS is a road you should consider. I don't think it's really worth it. You never know, it may be awesome :)

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Without devaluing or trivializing the very real concerns of others, let me say, for me, WM 10 is an excellent OS. As many others have noted, it does what I need to have done; usually in an elegant and pleasing manner: There are definitely problems, but no show stoppers. For those who seem to have developed a pathological aversion, I say exit know before you develop a chronic illness.... After all, there are near-perfect alternatives at hand

Sent from mTalk

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know it is worth to wait or not ! I am still using windows mobile because I actually too much love my windows mobile ! But the problems are no multi tasking facility & scarcity of quality apps making me fade up everyday! I don't know Microsoft going to lounge its ultimate surface phone or not , at first Microsoft should win developers trust

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
As others have said, it works well for me right now. I am invested in W10 so no reason to go elsewhere, been there done that. I will wait patiently for development of the next phone iteration. In the mean time I'm very happy.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Plastic88565

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I have 950XL and for me, personaly, this is over. I cannot wait my next paycheck to buy an ios device... I vary like windows 10 as OS but it's impossible to use with all this bugs. I don't experience the vary same bugs but I have different ones. The most annoying two are: 1. During a call when I move my phone away from my ear audio transfer between one speaker to another is horribly slow (4-5 seconds). 2. About 3-4 times a day when I push the button to wake it up it freeze and the best if restarts. if not I have to hold the power button for like 10 second to restart the phone.
My phone didn't want to update to anniversary update till i tried WDRT which erased all of my data and fixed the problem.
BTW after anniversary update during a phone call my phone's bluetooth transmits the sound to my bluetooth headphones but the mic works only from the phone. I have 2 different models of bluetooth headsets and both worked great before the update. Now I'm stuck with this update and cannot go back to build 1511. I don't know what RS# should it be for the phone to work fine.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
here's a simple why: w10m is on life support, period.

dont expect anything from it, kill your hopes, and let it be until microsoft decides to push forward with it once again, the reason the OS is the way it is, is not that they cant "get it right" and more like "they wont because thats not their objective right now"

you dont need any more proof of their capabilities than to look at wp7, 8 and 8.1, simply remarkable pieces of software, iOS could be seem as buggy in comparison, thats what happens when the worlds top software company brings its A game, and they can surely do it again

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
here's a simple why: w10m is on life support, period.

dont expect anything from it, kill your hopes, and let it be until microsoft decides to push forward with it once again, the reason the OS is the way it is, is not that they cant "get it right" and more like "they wont because thats not their objective right now"

you dont need any more proof of their capabilities than to look at wp7, 8 and 8.1, simply remarkable pieces of software, iOS could be seem as buggy in comparison, thats what happens when the worlds top software company brings its A game, and they can surely do it again

And they will. 😉

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have 950XL and for me, personaly, this is over. I cannot wait my next paycheck to buy an ios device... I vary like windows 10 as OS but it's impossible to use with all this bugs. I don't experience the vary same bugs but I have different ones. The most annoying two are: 1. During a call when I move my phone away from my ear audio transfer between one speaker to another is horribly slow (4-5 seconds). 2. About 3-4 times a day when I push the button to wake it up it freeze and the best if restarts. if not I have to hold the power button for like 10 second to restart the phone.
My phone didn't want to update to anniversary update till i tried WDRT which erased all of my data and fixed the problem.
BTW after anniversary update during a phone call my phone's bluetooth transmits the sound to my bluetooth headphones but the mic works only from the phone. I have 2 different models of bluetooth headsets and both worked great before the update. Now I'm stuck with this update and cannot go back to build 1511. I don't know what RS# should it be for the phone to work fine.

Get on the production ring and it should be fine. Know that what you experience is not the norm. I transfer from normal phone call to speaker phone very seamlessly on my 950xl, I connect to an mpow coach BT headset no problem.

I can press button to wake or double tap to wake and it doesn't freeze the phone 3-4 times a day.

I'm on the the release preview build 14393.726 and I've been using a 950XL for over a year.

Wish we could somehow see this for ourselves. There is a teamviewer quick support client to try! So someone could remotely see your phone and see if anything is strange.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, for me it is worth the wait "to see". I bought my 950XL to replace my 920. I bought the 920 "SOLELY" for the camera. I know that iPhone now has a good camera; but as long as I can use my 950XL as a phone, take pictures, and use the BT occasionally (tongue in cheek), I will be fine. As a matter of fact, if I drop my phone tomorrow and had to buy another, I would probably get another 950XL (at a cheaper price). All I really need in a phone is Phone/Text Service, Good Camera and Email. I can run without music over my BT headset (don't like to), and I can talk of the phone without a BT headset (although I "HATE" it).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
RS2 is in the works and that smh has its own problems, with BT and flashlight.
That right there is part of the problem. Anybody, I mean anybody, who uses the Insider Builds on their primary device deserves every single migraine they've got coming to them. They are developmental builds and should be treated as such. No other platform offers this level of "peeking" into the future like Microsoft does. Android and iOS deliver constant updates (I just got 10.2.1 on my iPhone) so bug fixes are common to them too. Except Microsoft delivers them bi-monthly and people see that as a negative. Seriously? Mobile Nations has every major platform covered. Do yourselves a favor and peruse Android Central, iMore and Crackberry then come back here and say Microsoft is the only one with stability issues and bugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise