Going Back To W10M What Should I Be Expecting?

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have been using Galaxy S6 for the past 18 months. It recently started acting up and I had to get rid of it. I started using my old Lumia 920 temporarily. It has W10M installed but its really really laggy considering that the phone is 4.5 years old. I honestly miss the windows phone community so much and I decided to go ahead and purchase the Lumia 950 XL given its price and specs. Although Ill miss Snapchat so much but I really cant stand Androids (iPhones are out of question) anymore. I was looking for something that would last for the next 18 months until they decide that its time for the Surface Phone (or whatever it is gonna be)
I just needed some tips.
Do I go ahead and enroll myself in the W10M Insider program to get the latest updates or do I keep it clean with just official updates ?
How are the Insider Builds? Are they on bar with Windows 10 Builds (I'm an insider on my Surface Pro 3) ?
Any tips would be helpful :)
I have to say, Its good to be back <3

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have been using Galaxy S6 for the past 18 months. It recently started acting up and I had to get rid of it. I started using my old Lumia 920 temporarily. It has W10M installed but its really really laggy considering that the phone is 4.5 years old. I honestly miss the windows phone community so much and I decided to go ahead and purchase the Lumia 950 XL given its price and specs. Although Ill miss Snapchat so much but I really cant stand Androids (iPhones are out of question) anymore. I was looking for something that would last for the next 18 months until they decide that its time for the Surface Phone (or whatever it is gonna be)
I just needed some tips.
Do I go ahead and enroll myself in the W10M Insider program to get the latest updates or do I keep it clean with just official updates ?
How are the Insider Builds? Are they on bar with Windows 10 Builds (I'm an insider on my Surface Pro 3) ?
Any tips would be helpful :)
I have to say, Its good to be back <3

Well, congratulations! It's not that sane to come back to this dying platform but since you're here, nothing has changed much, same feature, same bugs, sadly nothing different has happened. Insider it's just a personal choice, but if the phone is your daily driver i wouldn't,I have my elite x3 without insider and it's not that Reliable either sadly... Good luck and good to have you back!

Sent from mTalk

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
First welcome back to windows :)
The apps are less, but nothing drastically different from before. There are some amazing new 3rd party apps.
As far as insider builds are concerned, they never caused any major problem for me (slow ring), but if any issue pops up, it might ruin your experience. So if you don't care if something breaks for a couple of weeks, get on the insider program and see what's new in windows 10, else stick with main release and get those features in a few months anyways.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I would enroll in the Insider Program at the Release Preview level, (14393.726) I find it works well and the MS Wallet works with NFC if your bank is supported.

Fast Ring right now has Bluetooth issues among others.

That's just my $.02 worth.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Welcome back. Yes, things are different and the same. We have lost some apps but gained a few as well. As for the Insider Program, I would stick with the Release Preview for a few weeks until you see the differences in what you left and what is now.

Keep in mind that 90% percent of unhappy users post mostly here. The 90% of happy users join in at times. Happy or unhappy, WM10 is a work in progress. The progress part comes in slow steps.

I think you will be happy with the 950 XL and WM10. Let us know how things progress and post your thoughts.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually going to go against the advice that some said here about joining Insider off the bat. I'll suggest not doing that first. Since you are coming back fresh, you should see how the regular build treats you first. Additionally, you can't change your ring in Insider off the jump instantly, you'll have to wait.

The 950XL will provide a totally different experience over your 920 as a phone built for W10M. I hope you enjoy your 950XL!

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it coming!
I just wanted to point out that I'm not big on apps. Im just looking for the basic apps like WhatsApp, Instagram, Groove, Photos, Office apps, Maps, WCentral App, Mail
And Im also looking for the general performance of the OS in terms of switching apps and general cruising through the UI

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to point out that I'm not big on apps. Im just looking for the basic apps like WhatsApp, Instagram, Groove, Photos, Office apps, Maps, WCentral App, Mail
And Im also looking for the general performance of the OS in terms of switching apps and general cruising through the UI

I think you would be pleased to know that Instagram is updated somewhat often. Instagram has just about all of the features it does on Android.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All those apps I believe should be available. I don't use WhatsApp or Instagram. The WC UWP app tends to have bugs more so than the WP8 WC app. A bunch of us have moved to mTalk for forum and blog access. I only go to insider builds when I have a spare w10m device to use it on. Otherwise I will not install it on my daily driver unless something drives me to it. I always end up reverting with wdrt a couple weeks after.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Does your decision include release previews too or youre talking about fast ring insider builds ?

I have been considering what release preview actually is over the past several weeks, as it is still an insider build, but can tend be the pre-prod update that is next in line or partial to one. So ya, for now I don't use any insider builds on whatever my daily device is at the time. If I do use an insider build on a spare device, I go as high as it will let me (Fast).

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest public release on my elitex3 and I'm not satisfied with it's Speed, it still lags here and there a little bit, but overall it still feels "heavy" so to speak, switching the same apps at different times, moments, situations still takes a while and sometimes the lame "loading" or "resuming" still are around, so, I don't know what to say...

Sent from mTalk

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Stick with the official release for now. If you get on an Insider build and don't like it, it breaks or you have any issues, you can't just "uncheck" a box and go to the official release. You have to go through the device recovery tool and start over from scratch. If this will be your main phone, stay on the official build, the update is only a couple months away. Better to be safe and stable than it is to be sorry and inconvenienced.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Stick with the official release for now. If you get on an Insider build and don't like it, it breaks or you have any issues, you can't just "uncheck" a box and go to the official release. You have to go through the device recovery tool and start over from scratch. If this will be your main phone, stay on the official build, the update is only a couple months away. Better to be safe and stable than it is to be sorry and inconvenienced.

The even more crappier part about that is, if your last FW update on that device was from a build prior to the AU update, you have go way back then update all over again to get back to the current...The WDRT tool seems built around FW updates for the phones I have used. If I remember correctly, every time I needed to reset my 950 on wdrt flash it took me back to a 10586 build.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually going to go against the advice that some said here about joining Insider off the bat. I'll suggest not doing that first. Since you are coming back fresh, you should see how the regular build treats you first. Additionally, you can't change your ring in Insider off the jump instantly, you'll have to wait.

The 950XL will provide a totally different experience over your 920 as a phone built for W10M. I hope you enjoy your 950XL!

Additionally, Insider builds might get you a few extra features early, but let's not beat around the bush, Microsoft is not prepping W10M for a comeback. Insiders won't grant you to any must have features, there's no radical redesign that you're missing out on. I'd actually recommend just sticking with official builds until Microsoft makes it very clear what they plan to do with Windows phone.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back!

The main thing to expect is that basically a lot of the apps you may have on Android, will no longer be available. However, you also get a faster and smoother OS with better notifications and live tiles.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a 950XL on Release Preview & everything seems OK.
Missing apps (mobile banking apps) are a pain point, but ...
for me the 950XL is smooth, works the way I want.
Battery life on the 950XL is not up to spec - had a Lumia 1520 before this, hardly get thru the day w 950XL without charging up.

The only issue I've had w Release Preview is, when they release it with an obscure bug, the cycles of new builds (w bug fixes) can be somewhat tedious.
The other issue is old apps, no longer in Store, can be gone from your mobile (whether they work or not).

I'm here because I can't stand Android (an exploit waiting to happen) and boring iOS is NOT for me (as well as the lack of addon storage & price).

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a 950XL on Release Preview & everything seems OK.
Missing apps (mobile banking apps) are a pain point, but ...
for me the 950XL is smooth, works the way I want.
Battery life on the 950XL is not up to spec - had a Lumia 1520 before this, hardly get thru the day w 950XL without charging up.

The only issue I've had w Release Preview is, when they release it with an obscure bug, the cycles of new builds (w bug fixes) can be somewhat tedious.
The other issue is old apps, no longer in Store, can be gone from your mobile (whether they work or not).

I'm here because I can't stand Android (an exploit waiting to happen) and boring iOS is NOT for me (as well as the lack of addon storage & price).

I am old Lumia 1520 user too. Just bought Lumia 950 XL DS and I am happy with it. Well, I am already running the latest Windows insider build. Battery is OK, but not as good as battery of Lumia 1520. FM radio is working just fine (you can use it sometimes to save some battery). You can even move the sound to the speakers (by chinese FM radio app). It works for Lumia 950 too. Well, Lumia 950 XL DS is a dual sim phone with an separate microSD card (it does not take off 2nd SIM slot) and with a great camera (use auto flash and auto HDR for the best results). You can not get a such great camera on that price, if you want Android or IOS. Display is better than display of Lumia 1520 too. Some key apps, like FB and Messenger, open slowly, so it is bettery to keep them open on background. Maps and offline navigation are working well (just like as Here Drive before). Just install GeoPhoto app to have all your photos on world map (that app is a gem). Waiting the next build so I could test both Continuum and wireless display (I am a fan of Miracast, instead of Chromecast, specially when travelling).

Last edited:

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back, Azurus I think you will really enjoy your 950XL. I am on the latest non insider build and its very stable no issues at all. I only use the official apps installed so far. continuum works very well so far you might want to use a USB or Bluetooth mouse to enhance the experience but not required. was this a new phone or used?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
welcome back, I also recommend release preview, fairly reliable on my 950XL

From 18months ago, w10m is wayyyyyy better and more stable.

The apps you mentioned are ok and supported.

skype preview with sms on your desktop is nice...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb