So what is available for VR on Windows Phone? Anyone managed to use custom gear?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So a friend I know works in the Electronics department of a store here in town, tipped me they will try to blow out stock that has sat on a shelf and no one wants. They are having an unadvertised blow out/clearance on a cheep headset with bluetooth controler.

So I thought what the heck spend a little and set very very low expectations!!!!

Seeing as most bluetooth devices that are multi platform, the devices that have Android support work ok with Windows Phone also ( settings are the same)......at least that is what I have found. So at the very least the single hand controller may function like a mouse.....or not, we will find out.....

So what I need to know is what is available for Windows 10 for Mobile.....has any one managed to pry the Alcatel VR apps off the Idol and moved it to a 950/950 XL ?

Will the Edge Mobile Browser support 360 Video on Youtube site ???

What apps do we have that work......

So far the 3 devices that will be tested are a 640 XL, 650, and a 950XL as the head set can fit all 3.

If you have any info please post up, so I can let people know what to expect for under $50

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok so just after a a quick search of the store.......Tubecast free and Pro seem to play nice with Video 360, and as I don't yet have the headset in hand ( until the morning ), I fired it up and just warped my hands around the ends of the phone against my face and moved my glasses until most of my vision was filled.....
Even blury the roller coaster ride gave me a bit of the feeling and I had to pull it away.

Video 360 says it works with xbox controllers.......so I am going to hope maybe I can luck out and get the bluetooth controller to work.......

So I still have very low expectations set for the 640 XL as it's low rez I think will reduce the visual side, but I think the 950 XL may surprise me.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as I am aware, only the Alcatel Idol 4S is the only official Windows phone with VR capabilities. Despite that though, your little project sounds interesting. Let us know if you manage to get anything up and running on, say, the 950XL.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As far as I am aware, only the Alcatel Idol 4S is the only official Windows phone with VR capabilities. Despite that though, your little project sounds interesting. Let us know if you manage to get anything up and running on, say, the 950XL.

I was in hopes some of the great hackers over at XDA managed to pry out the VR apps for the Idol 4S so it could be moved over to other Win10Mobile devices like the 950/950XL or Acer Jade Primo.

At the very least now that Microsoft has also jumped into the AR/VR as they did say they were looking into PC head gear, maybe they can do a reverse Continuum ( from PC to Phone display ) as a VR entry.....basicly the phone becomes a dumb display but the sensors still give feedback.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just in case people are interested........screen caps from a Lumia 640 XL using Video 360 and tubecast free ( I will not be able to test 950 XL until after the long weekend, as my friend went out of town).

wp_ss_20170218_0001.pngwp_ss_20170218_0002.pngwp_ss_20170218_0003.png

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I can report the 640 XL works with the headset, fits perfect........sadly that is where the Joy ends. The headset while plastic needs to push the phone out much further to be in focus.
The remote paired with my phone, sadly all it would do is control volume.

So ok for an under $30 investment it was worth a shot. I may yet tinker and see if I can mod it some how to bring the screen into focus. Next I will try the 950 XL.....lets hope the better rez helps focus.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Heya... Late to the party.

The biggest advantage that the Idol 4S has is a built in Launcher. On Android you can choose from several 3rd party launchers. I think the Alcatel Launcher is reserved for that phone, near as I can tell. Another advantage is that when the phone goes in the headset the launcher automatically starts up.

Why do you want a Launcher? The Launcher allows you to "stay under" when you "dive" in VR. You enter Apps and Videos from the Launcher and exit them back to Launcher so you stay in the headset as you cycle through content.

Other content that seems to be exclusive would be just the one game (of two) that is included on the Idol 4S, Captain Fellcraft.

The selection is not terribly broad on W10M, but I think there is enough to get started. And if you have a Launcher you can add video into there is a metric ton of content you can download and add to the proper folder. At least it is easy to add video into the Alcatel Launcher, still trying to figure out how to add Apps to the Launcher.

I first tried VR in-store at Cricket with the Idol 4 and its dedicated headset... Never bought that, but I did get an Idol 3. Then I got a generic headset and combined that with the Idol 3. Since it was Android I found lots to do and relied on the FullDive Launcher to "stay submerged." I saw a deal on a T-Mo Idol 4S which had been unlocked and I grabbed it. To me the Alcatel headset is better than the generic I tried for a few reasons: holds the phone perfectly, no light bleed, better lens quality and focus, broader field of view and it exposes the camera so I can also do AR (Augmented Reality). AR is what the Microsoft Holo push is all about. We should see AR taking off for all things Windows shortly. At least I hope so, and a VR dev over at VR Heads stated that the Holo APIs are due to proliferate.

I would say that at a minimum to get going with VR as an enthusiast and get some enjoyment from it you would want more screen resolution, CPU/GPU and RAM than the 640 XL offers.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Heya... Late to the party.

The biggest advantage that the Idol 4S has is a built in Launcher. On Android you can choose from several 3rd party launchers. I think the Alcatel Launcher is reserved for that phone, near as I can tell. Another advantage is that when the phone goes in the headset the launcher automatically starts up.

Why do you want a Launcher? The Launcher allows you to "stay under" when you "dive" in VR. You enter Apps and Videos from the Launcher and exit them back to Launcher so you stay in the headset as you cycle through content.

Other content that seems to be exclusive would be just the one game (of two) that is included on the Idol 4S, Captain Fellcraft.

The selection is not terribly broad on W10M, but I think there is enough to get started. And if you have a Launcher you can add video into there is a metric ton of content you can download and add to the proper folder. At least it is easy to add video into the Alcatel Launcher, still trying to figure out how to add Apps to the Launcher.

I first tried VR in-store at Cricket with the Idol 4 and its dedicated headset... Never bought that, but I did get an Idol 3. Then I got a generic headset and combined that with the Idol 3. Since it was Android I found lots to do and relied on the FullDive Launcher to "stay submerged." I saw a deal on a T-Mo Idol 4S which had been unlocked and I grabbed it. To me the Alcatel headset is better than the generic I tried for a few reasons: holds the phone perfectly, no light bleed, better lens quality and focus, broader field of view and it exposes the camera so I can also do AR (Augmented Reality). AR is what the Microsoft Holo push is all about. We should see AR taking off for all things Windows shortly. At least I hope so, and a VR dev over at VR Heads stated that the Holo APIs are due to proliferate.

I would say that at a minimum to get going with VR as an enthusiast and get some enjoyment from it you would want more screen resolution, CPU/GPU and RAM than the 640 XL offers.

I can't disagree with you in any way :)
I was however just looking around to see if there was a cheap and dirty way to have a low cost entry point. As I have yet to test on the 950 XL to see what the better Rez screen can offer, only the 640 XL and other low REZ devices are out.

I was also rather sad the blue tooth controller is utterly useless, but a thought has just hit me........a blue tooth mouse would work in this use case.

Granted it would not be as good as the Alcatel set up, but it would give 950/950XL users a way to tinker to see if they want to step up to the Alcatel.

I also think a reverse Continuum set up could work......use the phone as the display and have the PC provide the HP to make the VR, again will require the full HD display of the Alcatel, 950/950 XL, Acer Primo, HP X3.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got one of those generic BT controllers to try with my Idol 3/generic headset rig and even on Android the results were a mixed bag.

I'm thinking a BT Xbox controller may be the way to go. But it also may be heavily dependent on how the dev coded the App to handle controllers.

If you want cheap... Maybe look for a used (or even BNIB leftover) mid-range Android to use on WiFi just as a VR driver since you have the headset already. I think any SoC with Adreno 4xx or higher would do you fine, 2GB RAM or more, 1440 screen as you said (although 1080p seems fine to me). I went with an Idol 3 (5.5) from Cricket and a generic headset so I was in for like $100 + the BT controller. A worthwhile experiment. If you go Android for VR you'll see a lot more support after all. That's just the nature of the App beast.

BTW, got link to the headset you purchased?

@Greywolf1967 If you haven't already, maybe log in at our sister site: VR Heads.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I wish 360 video was coded to pan with a joystick, but it is not. I've come to the conclusion that you need a swivel chair in the middle of a clear space to really get the best experience... And that means going unplugged from a charger so you don't get tangled. Depending on the phone, the venting in the headset, etc... It also may not be the best idea to charge while VRing anyway due to heat buildup.

Funny that they don't show the actual device, just the box in that Amazon Ad. LOL. I had to read down in the reviews to confirm my suspicions that there are no magnetic switches. The generic headset I tried had one switch on the left "temple" which got quite a workout, but then I ran into issues that some Cardboard Apps support a second switch over the right "eyebrow."

Gaze works for a lot of functions (looking at an object, icon, etc. to activate/interact with it) and I assume that is what you used for the most part.

If you dive again, try Crazy Swing VR by Fibrum. A short, but satisfying little trip. Just Gaze at the lever and you are off. A pretty wild ride and nicely coded so that your "position" is noted at start and you don't have to twist all-around backwards to get the fullest effect.Should make a good standalone App for you to enjoy and share.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So as an update....still have to try the 950 XL, but I have to remember to take the headset to work. I'll get there someday.
I have however figured the work around for the 640 XL to bring the screen into focus. I will be using a firm black foam to build a mount to Velcro to the headset.
I managed to take the VR tour of The British Museum available on Youtube. I also paired with a bluetooth mouse ( Microsoft Comfort Sculpt ), so now Video 360 App is very impressive. I also did a 360 dive with sharks that Adam Savage did voice over for.
So after a good look at the front cover, I noticed it is held to the main body by a single length of wire that is a press fit. A simple press out and removal of the wire the front cover will come away to allow for a foam holder mod to be added. This way the phone will sit at the right focal length.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a very interesting topic to read though. Sorry, I don't really have much to input on the matter, but best of luck with your endeavor.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This is a very interesting topic to read though. Sorry, I don't really have much to input on the matter, but best of luck with your endeavor.

Thank you, and no worry about input, as my goal was to show a low end way in. It is far from perfect, and no where as good as the Alcatel set up, so expect almost nothing from the get go and it may surprise you.

I will say after the full 50 min boat tour on the river in St. Petersburg Russia, the 640 XL was very very warm.....so I will stress caution here !!!! As lower end phones were never intended for this.

A tip I have also found...in 360 Video disable the sensors, use the mouse to move your view. The enable/disable is the globe looking icon to the left of play pause....wp_ss_20170227_0002.png

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo