05-31-2017 08:15 AM
96 1234
tools
    I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1. I understand your reluctance to use Android, I tried it for 3 months and gladly gave that phone to my mother. I have been using an iP6+ since last February with no significant complaints. Is it exciting? No. Do I feel that iPhone is the future of mobile computing? No. But IT EXISTS, unlike the mythical Surface Phone. Even if the Unicorn of mobile computing did come out, MS would probably slap it into an exclusivity deal with Sprint or whomever the worst phone carrier they could find in [insert country here] is.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-21-2017 02:09 PM
    I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1. I understand your reluctance to use Android, I tried it for 3 months and gladly gave that phone to my mother. I have been using an iP6+ since last February with no significant complaints. Is it exciting? No. Do I feel that iPhone is the future of mobile computing? No. But IT EXISTS, unlike the mythical Surface Phone. Even if the Unicorn of mobile computing did come out, MS would probably slap it into an exclusivity deal with Sprint or whomever the worst phone carrier they could find in [insert country here] is.
    Glad you have found what works for you, that's important.
    I came from Android and iPhone (Blackberry too but that's another story). You couldn't pay me to go back as long as Windows mobile is still rockin', and it is. Full integration with my laptop and Surface, the UI is the most user-friendly in my eyes, and I don't have to use iTunes! Nothing mythical about it and it will only get better.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-21-2017 04:08 PM
    So you make a thread posing the question whether you made the right decision then when someone posts a potential answer to the question and provides support for their answer/opinion you call them ridiculous and pompus?

Why make the thread? ...
    You DO realize Kevin Rush is NOT the OP.
    02-21-2017 05:15 PM
    I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1..
    Edge is pretty great on mobile. More and more websites are understanding the value of a dynamic site adjusting to the screen size and updating so that it works well on all screen sizes. Definitely feels like app fatigue with those sites especially when it's just for browsing a website.

Yes apps are still needed for specialized things to do.

I can't believe people are so happy to be pigeon holed into one or two options and call it a day. I thought people generally protest/raise the alarm over monopolies :)
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-21-2017 11:50 PM
    I returned yesterday to my HTC 10 running Android Nougat, and I can say, despite the lack of Win10 integration (at least not on the same level as WM10), it was like a breath of fresh air! Everything is faster, there are no lags whatsoever and the quality of the apps (even the most basic) is much better. I am using Nine (Exchange ActiveSync client), and it is much better than anything that Microsoft has ever done on mobile.
    I really like Windows 10 and I liked WM10 too, but currently the mobile platform is far inferior than the competition. The OS seems half baked. It makes you want to use it, but it doesn't work as it should.
    When Microsoft gets really serious about mobile, I will return to whatever incarnation they bring to the market. For the moment I will stay with Android and enjoy using WhatsApp with my wife, with no lag (WhatsApp takes 4-5 seconds always to resume on WM10, for reasons that I cannot understand).
    I will of course keep using my Surface Book, which I love and hope that one day Microsoft will do the same for mobile..
    libra89 and wgrs like this.
    02-22-2017 02:20 AM
    When they released StaffHub (this is Microsofts new corporate staffing platform) and only built iOS and Android apps I was shocked.
    When I talked to them directly and they told me there were zero plans of any kind of Windows app (UWP or phone) and to just use the browser that was when I realized just how dead Windows phone really is.
    Ouch.. That was in January of this year. Not a good sign!
    02-22-2017 11:05 AM
    Glad you have found what works for you, that's important.
    I came from Android and iPhone (Blackberry too but that's another story). You couldn't pay me to go back as long as Windows mobile is still rockin', and it is. Full integration with my laptop and Surface, the UI is the most user-friendly in my eyes, and I don't have to use iTunes! Nothing mythical about it and it will only get better.

Could you elaborate a little on the "full integration" your W10M phone provides that an iPhone or Android does not? I have a 1520 with W10M and a Nexus 6 that I use daily with Microsoft apps and I have yet to discover anything my 1520 does better that my Nexus does not.

No salt, just curious.
    02-22-2017 11:18 AM
    So you make a thread posing the question whether you made the right decision then when someone posts a potential answer to the question and provides support for their answer/opinion you call them ridiculous and pompus?
    Uhh...I'm the OP and I never called you anything.
    02-23-2017 06:06 AM
    Myerlist, UWP for both desktop/mobile.
    I checked it out, but I need an app that can uncheck all items in one shot. I have checklists with dozens of items that I need to be able to reuse. Recurring tasks won't work because they aren't used on a schedule.

This link for Onenote Templates might offer some help.
    The problem isn't templates. It's very easy on the PC to create a reusable checklist. Create a list, select all, click the tag icon to tag everything with a checkbox. To reuse, select the entire list, click tag to check any remaining unchecked items, click tag again to remove all checkboxes, then click tag again to put empty checkboxes on all items again. It was actually more work to type that last sentence than it is to do it. The problem is that on the phone it is very cumbersome to select all text in a note. But it does work.

Beyond all that though, I can honestly say that after a week with these new phones, we couldn't be happier with our decision. I have nothing against Android or iOS (It's Google I have a problem with, not the Android OS), we just like Windows Mobile. We'll stay on it until the lack of support or apps (or phones) forces us to change.
    02-23-2017 06:57 AM
    @ OP, I keep wondering if I made the right decision as well. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 to the Lumia 735 less than a year ago, hoping it would bridge the gap until a newer device would be released on Verizon's network. The 735 is nice, I have had a few issues with it, but for the most part, it is a good phone. The eBay app is buggy for me, which stinks. The phone resets itself here and there, which I believe is due to the insider build.

I really like how my phone, surface pro 3, my computers, and xbox all work together. For work, we have Windows 10 computers, with gmail, google docs, etc, and an iPhone 6S(and some people have iPads). Very disjointed compared to what I have for personal use.

With that said, I am going to try to hold out as long as I can... and hopefully some new devices will come out that are worth the wait!
    02-23-2017 07:40 AM
    @ OP, I keep wondering if I made the right decision as well. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 to the Lumia 735 less than a year ago, hoping it would bridge the gap until a newer device would be released on Verizon's network. The 735 is nice, I have had a few issues with it, but for the most part, it is a good phone. The eBay app is buggy for me, which stinks. The phone resets itself here and there, which I believe is due to the insider build.

I really like how my phone, surface pro 3, my computers, and xbox all work together. For work, we have Windows 10 computers, with gmail, google docs, etc, and an iPhone 6S(and some people have iPads). Very disjointed compared to what I have for personal use.

With that said, I am going to try to hold out as long as I can... and hopefully some new devices will come out that are worth the wait!
    I won't lie. Both Android and iOS are far more attractive platforms, compared to Windows Mobile. I don't think there will be any real new phone devices from Microsoft either. The Surface phone may remain just a myth. But the reason I stay with Windows Mobile is because, despite all the doom and gloom, they are still going. They didn't concede to Android, like BlackBerry and, on very, very rare occasions, Microsoft can make something that surprises everyone (e.g. Surface Studio). Most of us are waiting for this to happen with mobile, no matter how long it takes.
    Cryio, libra89, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    02-23-2017 07:55 AM
    Personally I will stay with the OS as long as it satisfies my needs. I loved WP7.5, 8, 8.1 and now I love W10M, with all its quirks.

I need a browser, music app, nice, pretty and functional Call/Messaging/Email app. W10M does this brilliantly. Cortana is great, other core apps I need are here and are decent enough, to not get in the way: FB, Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, CamScanner, Word, Foxit, myTube.

W10M is modern, pretty and fast, given you have the hardware: Lumia 930, 950d, HP X3, Idol 4S.

Is it supported? Yes! Security and bug fixes monthly, at least 2 more major updates in the pipeline, tons of updates for the core OS apps with bug fixes, design updated and new features every one in a while. Edge 14 (soon 15) is a modern browser with mostly all that entails.

I will jump ship when the OS truly can't satisfy my needs. Until then? For me, an exciting experience to see this OS grow so much in the last 5+ years.
    02-23-2017 07:58 AM
    Could you elaborate a little on the "full integration" your W10M phone provides that an iPhone or Android does not? I have a 1520 with W10M and a Nexus 6 that I use daily with Microsoft apps and I have yet to discover anything my 1520 does better that my Nexus does not.

No salt, just curious.
    I didn't say the others didn't, just that with the devices I have I get similar UI experience with all which i enjoy.
    I have no qualms with W10 so not reason to use Android or iPhone and have to put up with things I do not like. To each their own. I'm happy.

02-23-2017 10:13 AM
    I checked it out, but I need an app that can uncheck all items in one shot. I have checklists with dozens of items that I need to be able to reuse. Recurring tasks won't work because they aren't used on a schedule.

The problem isn't templates. It's very easy on the PC to create a reusable checklist. Create a list, select all, click the tag icon to tag everything with a checkbox. To reuse, select the entire list, click tag to check any remaining unchecked items, click tag again to remove all checkboxes, then click tag again to put empty checkboxes on all items again. It was actually more work to type that last sentence than it is to do it. The problem is that on the phone it is very cumbersome to select all text in a note. But it does work.

Beyond all that though, I can honestly say that after a week with these new phones, we couldn't be happier with our decision. I have nothing against Android or iOS (It's Google I have a problem with, not the Android OS), we just like Windows Mobile. We'll stay on it until the lack of support or apps (or phones) forces us to change.
    Ahh, I would leave feedback for the developer. Honestly, I can see them adding it quickly if it's a good idea. And of course, your idea is pretty good.
    02-23-2017 06:38 PM
    Apps are overrated tbh. More important for me is having a phone which feels good to use, and isn't generic like iOS and Android.
    TgeekB, Kevin Rush and mattiasnyc like this.
    02-26-2017 08:38 AM
    We can only decide this as individuals, based on our individual needs.

libra89 likes this.
    02-26-2017 09:04 AM
    Apps are overrated tbh. More important for me is having a phone which feels good to use, and isn't generic like iOS and Android.
    Many apps are definitely overrated, but there are apps that make our lives better.
    I can give you two three examples in how an Android phone makes my life easier and helps me accomplish stuff, that a Windows Mobile doesn't.

I use it to buy tickets for mass transportation. With a Windows Mobile I cannot do it here in Mannheim (Germany).
    I use my phone to do online banking.My bank doesn't offer an app for WM, so every time I use the bank's website, I have to have a list of codes with me (TANs). This is not necessary in Android.
    Many times I want to see when the next bus or tram is coming. Very easy on Android because an app exists. Very difficult with WM..
    Google translator: I use translation a lot and the automatic translation feature of Google translator in Android when copying text is really helpful.
    Google Trips: this is the best travel app ever. It is so good, you could go anywhere without any plan whatsoever and the app would help you.

A smartphone is "smart" because it can help you in your daily life and tasks. Saying that apps are overrated is wrong. There are apps that make our lives easier and unfortunately most of the time they are not available in WM. A WM smartphone is definitely not very smart, at least not as smart as an Android one or an iPhone. It is sad, but it's true. I am sure that many others have different examples of how their phone helps them through the day. Having only the standard OS apps is like denying the developments of the last 9 years.
    02-26-2017 04:26 PM
    Many apps are definitely overrated, but there are apps that make our lives better.
    I can give you two three examples in how an Android phone makes my life easier and helps me accomplish stuff, that a Windows Mobile doesn't.

I use it to buy tickets for mass transportation. With a Windows Mobile I cannot do it here in Mannheim (Germany).
    I use my phone to do online banking.My bank doesn't offer an app for WM, so every time I use the bank's website, I have to have a list of codes with me (TANs). This is not necessary in Android.
    Many times I want to see when the next bus or tram is coming. Very easy on Android because an app exists. Very difficult with WM..
    Google translator: I use translation a lot and the automatic translation feature of Google translator in Android when copying text is really helpful.
    Google Trips: this is the best travel app ever. It is so good, you could go anywhere without any plan whatsoever and the app would help you.

A smartphone is "smart" because it can help you in your daily life and tasks. Saying that apps are overrated is wrong. There are apps that make our lives easier and unfortunately most of the time they are not available in WM. A WM smartphone is definitely not very smart, at least not as smart as an Android one or an iPhone. It is sad, but it's true. I am sure that many others have different examples of how their phone helps them through the day. Having only the standard OS apps is like denying the developments of the last 9 years.
    Great examples of how apps can make things easier. Nothing wrong with using them for that. For some though, this convenience is outweighed by negative things like the UI itself or Google knowing everything about you. It's a personal choice and we all know what's best for us.

02-26-2017 05:10 PM
    Apps can be overrated and most apps in any app store or not very good. My Windows phone, 950XL, meets me needs. I don't see the need to spend stupid amounts of money on the last iPhone or Android phone each time, just to get most apps that you won't most likely use.
    bluekalo and aximtreo like this.
    02-27-2017 07:06 AM
    i own an android also... when i search on playstore there are tons of apps but most of them are not that useful... im not always holding my phone that long so what the windows store provides right now have apps that i used the most.. the only thing that bothers me is that developers of the much need apps needs to update their apps or improve it for the platform of windows
    02-27-2017 01:35 PM
    pls keep in touch with developers of those apps and let them know that you need it in windows.. just help our community
    02-27-2017 01:37 PM
    Used Windows Maps yesterday to take a bus! It was accurate and the transit system changed the bus numbering and scheduling earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised :) (I pretty much never take transit)

Vancouver Canada here :D
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    03-01-2017 10:59 AM
    Took a cab home from work late night (early morning) last week and just held up my phone to the card/payment device and it debited my checking account. Iris scan only.

Went to get cash at the ATM yesterday, unlocked door with phone instead of card, then held phone against terminal and punched in PIN to get money.

Shared some documents on my OneDrive account via email straight from my phone; near instantaneous receipt and availability for my friend.

Added another active tile in the form of a folder in my Outlook Mail account, the one for a sub-group of my friends. So now I have all my main mail folder-tiles in one "group" tile that also updates automatically. If I have mail I can just open that and see if it's work or not, urgent or not etc.

And I love the UI. I really do. I look at iOS and Android and by now I think they're ugly as hell. I really do.

I really, really like my Lumia950.
    Joe920, TgeekB, aximtreo and 4 others like this.
    03-01-2017 12:09 PM
    And I love the UI. I really do. I look at iOS and Android and by now I think they're ugly as hell. I really do.

I really, really like my Lumia950.
    I know what you mean. After being on iOS again for a bit I'm so desperate for some WP in my life that I'm considering getting a cheapo MintSIM card for my 950XL just so I can use both. :)
    aximtreo and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2017 01:25 PM
    Guys, please be honest. Do you not have crashes, glitches or bugs all around WM10? And I mean in the Microsoft preinstalled stuff only (phone, calendar, photos, camera... etc). I have so many issues, I think it would be better to be without a phone instead of WM10. Seriously can't take it anymore but don't have the money for a decent phone right now.
    To the topic: No. I don't think sticking with WM10 was the right decision.
    03-01-2017 05:09 PM
96 1234