Hope we made the right decision sticking with Windows Mobile

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
@ OP, I keep wondering if I made the right decision as well. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 to the Lumia 735 less than a year ago, hoping it would bridge the gap until a newer device would be released on Verizon's network. The 735 is nice, I have had a few issues with it, but for the most part, it is a good phone. The eBay app is buggy for me, which stinks. The phone resets itself here and there, which I believe is due to the insider build.

I really like how my phone, surface pro 3, my computers, and xbox all work together. For work, we have Windows 10 computers, with gmail, google docs, etc, and an iPhone 6S(and some people have iPads). Very disjointed compared to what I have for personal use.

With that said, I am going to try to hold out as long as I can... and hopefully some new devices will come out that are worth the wait!

I won't lie. Both Android and iOS are far more attractive platforms, compared to Windows Mobile. I don't think there will be any real new phone devices from Microsoft either. The Surface phone may remain just a myth. But the reason I stay with Windows Mobile is because, despite all the doom and gloom, they are still going. They didn't concede to Android, like BlackBerry and, on very, very rare occasions, Microsoft can make something that surprises everyone (e.g. Surface Studio). Most of us are waiting for this to happen with mobile, no matter how long it takes.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Personally I will stay with the OS as long as it satisfies my needs. I loved WP7.5, 8, 8.1 and now I love W10M, with all its quirks.

I need a browser, music app, nice, pretty and functional Call/Messaging/Email app. W10M does this brilliantly. Cortana is great, other core apps I need are here and are decent enough, to not get in the way: FB, Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, CamScanner, Word, Foxit, myTube.

W10M is modern, pretty and fast, given you have the hardware: Lumia 930, 950d, HP X3, Idol 4S.

Is it supported? Yes! Security and bug fixes monthly, at least 2 more major updates in the pipeline, tons of updates for the core OS apps with bug fixes, design updated and new features every one in a while. Edge 14 (soon 15) is a modern browser with mostly all that entails.

I will jump ship when the OS truly can't satisfy my needs. Until then? For me, an exciting experience to see this OS grow so much in the last 5+ years.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Could you elaborate a little on the "full integration" your W10M phone provides that an iPhone or Android does not? I have a 1520 with W10M and a Nexus 6 that I use daily with Microsoft apps and I have yet to discover anything my 1520 does better that my Nexus does not.

No salt, just curious.

I didn't say the others didn't, just that with the devices I have I get similar UI experience with all which i enjoy.
I have no qualms with W10 so not reason to use Android or iPhone and have to put up with things I do not like. To each their own. I'm happy.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I checked it out, but I need an app that can uncheck all items in one shot. I have checklists with dozens of items that I need to be able to reuse. Recurring tasks won't work because they aren't used on a schedule.

The problem isn't templates. It's very easy on the PC to create a reusable checklist. Create a list, select all, click the tag icon to tag everything with a checkbox. To reuse, select the entire list, click tag to check any remaining unchecked items, click tag again to remove all checkboxes, then click tag again to put empty checkboxes on all items again. It was actually more work to type that last sentence than it is to do it. The problem is that on the phone it is very cumbersome to select all text in a note. But it does work.

Beyond all that though, I can honestly say that after a week with these new phones, we couldn't be happier with our decision. I have nothing against Android or iOS (It's Google I have a problem with, not the Android OS), we just like Windows Mobile. We'll stay on it until the lack of support or apps (or phones) forces us to change.

Ahh, I would leave feedback for the developer. Honestly, I can see them adding it quickly if it's a good idea. And of course, your idea is pretty good.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Apps are overrated tbh. More important for me is having a phone which feels good to use, and isn't generic like iOS and Android.
Many apps are definitely overrated, but there are apps that make our lives better.
I can give you two three examples in how an Android phone makes my life easier and helps me accomplish stuff, that a Windows Mobile doesn't.

I use it to buy tickets for mass transportation. With a Windows Mobile I cannot do it here in Mannheim (Germany).
I use my phone to do online banking.My bank doesn't offer an app for WM, so every time I use the bank's website, I have to have a list of codes with me (TANs). This is not necessary in Android.
Many times I want to see when the next bus or tram is coming. Very easy on Android because an app exists. Very difficult with WM..
Google translator: I use translation a lot and the automatic translation feature of Google translator in Android when copying text is really helpful.
Google Trips: this is the best travel app ever. It is so good, you could go anywhere without any plan whatsoever and the app would help you.

A smartphone is "smart" because it can help you in your daily life and tasks. Saying that apps are overrated is wrong. There are apps that make our lives easier and unfortunately most of the time they are not available in WM. A WM smartphone is definitely not very smart, at least not as smart as an Android one or an iPhone. It is sad, but it's true. I am sure that many others have different examples of how their phone helps them through the day. Having only the standard OS apps is like denying the developments of the last 9 years.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Many apps are definitely overrated, but there are apps that make our lives better.
I can give you two three examples in how an Android phone makes my life easier and helps me accomplish stuff, that a Windows Mobile doesn't.

I use it to buy tickets for mass transportation. With a Windows Mobile I cannot do it here in Mannheim (Germany).
I use my phone to do online banking.My bank doesn't offer an app for WM, so every time I use the bank's website, I have to have a list of codes with me (TANs). This is not necessary in Android.
Many times I want to see when the next bus or tram is coming. Very easy on Android because an app exists. Very difficult with WM..
Google translator: I use translation a lot and the automatic translation feature of Google translator in Android when copying text is really helpful.
Google Trips: this is the best travel app ever. It is so good, you could go anywhere without any plan whatsoever and the app would help you.

A smartphone is "smart" because it can help you in your daily life and tasks. Saying that apps are overrated is wrong. There are apps that make our lives easier and unfortunately most of the time they are not available in WM. A WM smartphone is definitely not very smart, at least not as smart as an Android one or an iPhone. It is sad, but it's true. I am sure that many others have different examples of how their phone helps them through the day. Having only the standard OS apps is like denying the developments of the last 9 years.

Great examples of how apps can make things easier. Nothing wrong with using them for that. For some though, this convenience is outweighed by negative things like the UI itself or Google knowing everything about you. It's a personal choice and we all know what's best for us.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Apps can be overrated and most apps in any app store or not very good. My Windows phone, 950XL, meets me needs. I don't see the need to spend stupid amounts of money on the last iPhone or Android phone each time, just to get most apps that you won't most likely use.

bluekalo

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
i own an android also... when i search on playstore there are tons of apps but most of them are not that useful... im not always holding my phone that long so what the windows store provides right now have apps that i used the most.. the only thing that bothers me is that developers of the much need apps needs to update their apps or improve it for the platform of windows

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Used Windows Maps yesterday to take a bus! It was accurate and the transit system changed the bus numbering and scheduling earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised :) (I pretty much never take transit)

Vancouver Canada here :D

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Took a cab home from work late night (early morning) last week and just held up my phone to the card/payment device and it debited my checking account. Iris scan only.

Went to get cash at the ATM yesterday, unlocked door with phone instead of card, then held phone against terminal and punched in PIN to get money.

Shared some documents on my OneDrive account via email straight from my phone; near instantaneous receipt and availability for my friend.

Added another active tile in the form of a folder in my Outlook Mail account, the one for a sub-group of my friends. So now I have all my main mail folder-tiles in one "group" tile that also updates automatically. If I have mail I can just open that and see if it's work or not, urgent or not etc.

And I love the UI. I really do. I look at iOS and Android and by now I think they're ugly as hell. I really do.

I really, really like my Lumia950.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
And I love the UI. I really do. I look at iOS and Android and by now I think they're ugly as hell. I really do.

I really, really like my Lumia950.
I know what you mean. After being on iOS again for a bit I'm so desperate for some WP in my life that I'm considering getting a cheapo MintSIM card for my 950XL just so I can use both. :)

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Guys, please be honest. Do you not have crashes, glitches or bugs all around WM10? And I mean in the Microsoft preinstalled stuff only (phone, calendar, photos, camera... etc). I have so many issues, I think it would be better to be without a phone instead of WM10. Seriously can't take it anymore but don't have the money for a decent phone right now.
To the topic: No. I don't think sticking with WM10 was the right decision.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Guys, please be honest. Do you not have crashes, glitches or bugs all around WM10? And I mean in the Microsoft preinstalled stuff only (phone, calendar, photos, camera... etc).

No, I don't. I can't remember the last time any of the ones you just mentioned crashed or had a glitch or bug. They're solid. And they're solid for a lot of users using the production builds.

The only recurring issue that irritates me is the keyboard prediction algorithm.

I have so many issues, I think it would be better to be without a phone instead of WM10. Seriously can't take it anymore but don't have the money for a decent phone right now.

What did support suggest?

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
What did support suggest?
The support in my country is very unintuitive. After I was linked to another site, I lost interest in doing it.
In the last 3 hours the photos and camera apps together crashed about 10 times. Videos I took missed frames. Photos (like always) have worse quality than on preview or videos (it was always like that, even on my old Lumia 920). I just wanted to take pictures of a nice evening with friends and only got frustrated :/
Btw, I don't think support can do anything. Maybe they'll advise me to hard reset, but I don't think it will help.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Which phone do you have right now? Maybe a hard reset would make things much better, or perhaps you could reinstall software with Windows Devices Recovery Tool and come back to Windows 10 mobile. The second one would take you about six hours though. No need to have anything with support in your country. ;)

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The support in my country is very unintuitive. After I was linked to another site, I lost interest in doing it.
In the last 3 hours the photos and camera apps together crashed about 10 times. Videos I took missed frames. Photos (like always) have worse quality than on preview or videos (it was always like that, even on my old Lumia 920). I just wanted to take pictures of a nice evening with friends and only got frustrated :/
Btw, I don't think support can do anything. Maybe they'll advise me to hard reset, but I don't think it will help.

So it sounds like you bought a device that isn't working properly, you quickly got bored with even trying to find support, and then you just gave up. Well, unfortunately you're probably stuck then.

Start a thread and try to get people to help. And 'yes', some will probably recommend trying a soft or hard reset, and you'll just have to figure out if it's worth trying or not. Thinking it won't help is one thing, knowing it didn't help another.

Personally, I bought my Lumia 950 for about $350 or so (can't remember), and to me it seemed like a very good deal for a phone of that capability, plus a dock. Part of the way I think about it is that I actually bought what is essentially a small computer with a screen. Just like Android and iOS there are going to be users that have problems with the devices. If that happens to me I will contact support, because I paid for the device. It's no different than any other device I've paid for. I bought professional speakers, had issues with them, contacted support and sent them back for new ones. It's just the way things go.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro