Where is your logic, Microsoft ?

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi !

I'm still using Nokia Lumia 930 a little bit, but because Slow Ring software is not so good, I've switched back to Android (just for my daily driver, Alcatel Idol 4).
And yesterday I decided to HW reset L930, just to check if it will help a little bit. And what I have noticed ?
After system came back up, I have HERE Maps, HERE Drive, Mixradio, Microsoft Travel and other abandoned apps.
But I have no FM radio app (this is obvious, as it has been dropped some time ago, I know, I know) and they force me NOT to use original Lumia Camera apps, which are way better than current photo app (luckily, still available in the app market)
So, where is you logic, Microsoft ? You took special actions to remove the FM Radio app, but you still push me those outdated, not working applications ?

What I want to say is that if Windows Mobile development is so careless and connected with strange decisions, I think it might be better to wave good-bye... and wait for this company to do something about it, maybe under another CEO ?

Maybe if the rest of us still using Windows Mobile would drop it, then maybe they'd start to analyze what actually went wrong - and then reboot the project but in a wiser way ?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Out of interest, were you brave enough to try the fast ring on that device? Nobody quite knows Microsoft's logic these days, especially when it comes to mobile, not even Microsoft it seems! But, we are a loyal bunch of fans too, so we weather the storm, come what may.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi !

I'm still using Nokia Lumia 930 a little bit, but because Slow Ring software is not so good, I've switched back to Android (just for my daily driver, Alcatel Idol 4).
And yesterday I decided to HW reset L930, just to check if it will help a little bit. And what I have noticed ?
After system came back up, I have HERE Maps, HERE Drive, Mixradio, Microsoft Travel and other abandoned apps.
But I have no FM radio app (this is obvious, as it has been dropped some time ago, I know, I know) and they force me NOT to use original Lumia Camera apps, which are way better than current photo app (luckily, still available in the app market)
So, where is you logic, Microsoft ? You took special actions to remove the FM Radio app, but you still push me those outdated, not working applications ?

What I want to say is that if Windows Mobile development is so careless and connected with strange decisions, I think it might be better to wave good-bye... and wait for this company to do something about it, maybe under another CEO ?

Maybe if the rest of us still using Windows Mobile would drop it, then maybe they'd start to analyze what actually went wrong - and then reboot the project but in a wiser way ?

I've personally experienced similar in the past and it wasn't just "no longer supported" Nokia Apps that were being reinstated. There's been many aspects that have left me asking "what the heck are you doing MS?". Finding their approach at times very very sloppy which I'm sure isn't helping the platforms image one bit.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Those apps are part of the factory image that your device uses to reset. The image was made long before Windows 10 Mobile/the abandoning of these apps, so they are installed after a reset simply because the old image is what the device has to work with. Is it logical? Yes, because old devices would take a lot of resources to update with new W10M firmware and images, so Microsoft just leaves them be. Uninstall the apps and be on with your life.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

My guess is, if the remainder of those still using Windows Mobile would drop it, Microsoft will drop the entire thing completely in a heartbeat. There has been a lot of opportunities for them to analyze what went wrong and to reboot the project. They probably tried to do so already.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Those apps are part of the factory image that your device uses to reset. The image was made long before Windows 10 Mobile/the abandoning of these apps, so they are installed after a reset simply because the old image is what the device has to work with. Is it logical? Yes, because old devices would take a lot of resources to update with new W10M firmware and images, so Microsoft just leaves them be. Uninstall the apps and be on with your life.

I totally agree, Microsoft wants to expend as little effort as possible in maintaining old devices. But still it baffles me that they put in so much effort to make sure to remove FM app from every phone.. Couldn't they just have let it be and moved on? I really wish they had.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree, Microsoft wants to expend as little effort as possible in maintaining old devices. But still it baffles me that they put in so much effort to make sure to remove FM app from every phone.. Couldn't they just have let it be and moved on? I really wish they had.

It was the question of mainaining the service/app - even if they had left it alone, sooner or later, the app would have broke and there would be have been requests to fix it - and they didn't want to spend any time on an app that apparently majority of people don't use

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos